Erasing Southern Pride: U.S. Army War College Removing Confederate Generals Portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four million slaves

Would have made quite an Army. Why didn't the South use them? Could have won the war in a year

Four million slaves

Would have made quite an Army. Why didn't the South use them? Could have won the war in a year
Former Governor, President of the Provisional Confederate Congress, and Speaker of Congress Howell Cobb of Georgia, even in the last throes, moribund, the dead, dying confederacy of January 1865, said:

“The most pernicious idea that has been suggested since the war began...you cannot make soldiers of slaves or slaves of soldiers.…
The day you make soldiers of them is the beginning of the revolution. If slaves will make good soldiers, our whole theory of slavery is wrong."

Last edited:
Four million slaves

Former Governor, President of the Provisional Confederate Congress, and Speaker of Congress Howell Cobb of Georgia, even in the last throes, moribund, the dead, dying confederacy of January 1865, said:

“The most pernicious idea that has been suggested since the war began...you cannot make soldiers of slaves or slaves of soldiers.…
The day you make soldiers of them is the beginning of the revolution. If slaves will make good soldiers, our whole theory of slavery is wrong."

Now thats what I call stubborn, willful ignorance.

Four million slaves

Now thats what I call stubborn, willful ignorance.
That's OK. Hundreds of thousands of them fighting for the Union helped show them rebs how useful they were.

Four million slaves

No shit...

But morons can still rant.....You know, blacks fought for the South too

Four million slaves

No shit...

But morons can still rant.....You know, blacks fought for the South too
Earlier, the bigreb doodlebrain linked to quote from a US Sanitation Commission (private organization) Lewis Steiner in his "official reports" (that would be the war propaganda used by to bring support and sympathy for the Union, no "official report") ---

as saying he saw 3000 negroes marching into Frederick with this column of 3000 black troops..being led by, none other than that Howell Cobb (!)

Funny thing though, no one else seems to have seen these "black confederate soldiers" - but rebboi uses it to buttress his point, even to the point of puffing it by linking to some knob who turns that 3,000 into 65,000 (by some very weird math) - a number that would be more than 1/3 of the Confederate Army by the end of the war!

That's the kind of logic the reb-capped performer utilizes to comfort the discord that has to occur when one is honoring the Southern Heritage of a government that kept humans in chains, and fought to keep them in chains.

In 1861 Confederate soldiers also wore union blue, and some union soldiers wore cadet gray. The native guard disbanded in 1862

So you expect everyone to believe Confederate soldiers dressed up in Union uniforms to represent the south? :lol: Its proven the original photo are Union soldiers in Philly, What are you not understanding about this?
There actually was a Confederate Louisiana Guard, but they never saw service, and it was part of the Confederate PR campaign.

Then what bigreb doesn't tell you was they were disbanded because the confeds had no use for them outside of the PR campaign, AND the Louisiana State Legislature passed a law in Jan. 1862 reorganizing the militia into only “...free white males capable of bearing arms… ”

You can see the law here: Official copy of the militia law of Louisiana, adopted by the state legislature, Jan. 23, 1862

Native guard was black men in the south bearing arms something you said no black man could do in the south.

So you expect everyone to believe Confederate soldiers dressed up in Union uniforms to represent the south? :lol: Its proven the original photo are Union soldiers in Philly, What are you not understanding about this?

Hell even the flags looked alike during the early part of the war.
Some Union soldiers wore gray blue
There wasn't any standard color at the beginning of the war
Both the north and south had Zouave
The 1st Louisiana Zouaves Battalion, "Coppens Zouaves," at Pensacola, Florida, ca. 1861
american_coppenszouaves1861.jpg

You may want to concede your point. The facts are you have nothing. Those are white guys in the photo not Black. :lol:

Zuavi%20di%20Coppens.jpg

I wasn't trying to show black men, I was showing southern men in union blue shell jackets and Zouave red baggy trousers

There actually was a Confederate Louisiana Guard, but they never saw service, and it was part of the Confederate PR campaign.

Then what bigreb doesn't tell you was they were disbanded because the confeds had no use for them outside of the PR campaign, AND the Louisiana State Legislature passed a law in Jan. 1862 reorganizing the militia into only “...free white males capable of bearing arms… ”

You can see the law here: Official copy of the militia law of Louisiana, adopted by the state legislature, Jan. 23, 1862

I know there was a Louisiana Guard I was just calling him out on posting an altered photo and trying to use it as proof. I have no doubt some ignorant Black people actually wanted to fight for the south. I just know it was no where near the number the Confederate claimed. They dont even know their own numbers due to the amount of records lost or purposely destroyed to avoid prosecution from the Union.
Yup Like a said, a few hundred.

BigDressUp should Embrace the glory.

Some numbnuts fought for a war whose base cause would insure the bondage of millions of their black brothers, sisters and children.

yankee doodle do.

I asked you a question earlier. If blacks did not fight for the south when captured why were they treated as POWS, and not contraband like slaves were treated as? Why imprison them? Why not let them go after all they were slaves?

Still waiting internet historian
While you're at it why don't you address this?
Are you going to run away again?
Blacks fighting for the south?
blacks fighting for the republic of Texas war with Mexico non slave holding country
Blacks fighting for the colonies war with England promised slaves they would be granted freedom if they fought for the crown

And those confederate Black POWS why imprison them if they are considered slaves, teamsters, cooks musicians? Why didn't them classify them as contraband.

You said it was illegal for black to own guns, but then you contradict yourself? It either is illegal or it wasn't illegal.

1st-louisiana-native-guard.jpg

That was a photo op by the Confederacy. You got fooled too I see.

Black Union Soldiers - Louisiana Native Guard - Photo Falsification

You thought they had photo op back then? :cuckoo:
What you see is black in the south with guns that they supplied.
It discredits paperslit claim that blacks couldn't own guns.

They were a historic creole militia unit. Free blacks could own guns under certain circumstances. These weapons for the three regiments were supplied by the state.

Of 2,000,000 Confederate soldiers may 1 in a thousand were considered "black".

No one has accurate estimates, but the numbers were very, very small.

I know there was a Louisiana Guard I was just calling him out on posting an altered photo and trying to use it as proof. I have no doubt some ignorant Black people actually wanted to fight for the south. I just know it was no where near the number the Confederate claimed. They dont even know their own numbers due to the amount of records lost or purposely destroyed to avoid prosecution from the Union.
Yup Like a said, a few hundred.

BigDressUp should Embrace the glory.

Some numbnuts fought for a war whose base cause would insure the bondage of millions of their black brothers, sisters and children.

yankee doodle do.

I asked you a question earlier. If blacks did not fight for the south when captured why were they treated as POWS, and not contraband like slaves were treated as? Why imprison them? Why not let them go after all they were slaves?

Many contraband were sequestered during the war. What do with the slaves who had happy feet was an ongoing problem.

Both paperview and Ascelpias make you look ignorant about this issue.

Native guard was black men in the south bearing arms something you said no black man could do in the south.
So what is your point?

That a handful of blacks served for the South for a few months?
That this proves that blacks supported the cause?
That blacks played a significant role in the southern forces?

You have been beating a dead horse....so what is your point?

Hell even the flags looked alike during the early part of the war.
Some Union soldiers wore gray blue
There wasn't any standard color at the beginning of the war
Both the north and south had Zouave
The 1st Louisiana Zouaves Battalion, "Coppens Zouaves," at Pensacola, Florida, ca. 1861
american_coppenszouaves1861.jpg

You may want to concede your point. The facts are you have nothing. Those are white guys in the photo not Black. :lol:

Zuavi%20di%20Coppens.jpg

I wasn't trying to show black men, I was showing southern men in union blue shell jackets and Zouave red baggy trousers

Yup, you got caught again.

Nearly 180,000 blacks served in the Union army. 38,000 gave their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back