🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Every Youngster Age 18-19 Should Be Required To Serve 3 Years In The Military

The problem is that the volunteer Army is beholden to the President and not the families of America as a whole. It is a neo-con's wet dream: ask Correll and Jroc.

The current active military force is 1.5 million. It is all volunteer. If you made that 1.5 million all draft, you still only have a tiny segment of America serving beholden to the President and not the families of America as a whole. Understand?
Tell that to Johnson and the military industrial complex who had to give up a draft because they misused it, by the families of America at the voting booth.

An all volunteer military is a presiden'ts wet dream.

Johnson never gave up the military draft. The draft was firmly in place in January 1969 when he left office. Tens of thousands of citizens were being drafted in 1969. The draft was not ended until AFTER the United States ended its involvement in the Vietnam war in the summer of 1973 when NIXON was President.

Most Presidents only have an all volunteer military to work with. Out of the 240 years this country has been in existence, only 38 year of those years had a military draft.

The military service and training forms a basic structure for young citizens much better than E Mail and Texting. Video games are a no brainer.

Israel requires this of all their young men and women and they seem to turn out pretty well.

Also.....the bunch of chicken hawks in the congress would think twice if they were sending their own to some godforsaken desert or mountain range to get wounded or die.

You don't realize that the politically connected would just allow exemptions for them and their kids...right?

You never give the military and the government your people by forcing them into the military....an all volunteer force works the best.

It's clear you don't understand that our leaders are subjec to our voters, and make the voters fully aware of the risks to their drafted children will make the leaders much more concious in making good decisions.

You don't read well, do you. I bet your teachers have always noted that in your records.

If a draft made U.S. lawmakers less likely to enter wars, why did the United States enter Korea and then enter Vietnam. The draft has NEVER deterred U.S. lawmakers from voting for war!
WWI and WWII were widely supported, Korea ended relatively quickly (three years), and Vietnam woke the American electorate up to the misuse of the draft. Then it went back to sleep. If we let the neo-cons and the military industrial complex keep a war machine in place without impact of the overwhelming number of American families, the USA will be in a constant state of war.

The peace corps or military requirement are certainly good alternatives. Anything that wakes folks up that we have Americans who will kill other Americans on the altar of greed under the cover of the flag is fine by me.

Korea ended relatively quickly eh? Tell that to the Veterans who experience just the first 6 months of that war. Quickly?

The point is not the duration of the war, but the fact that a DRAFT did not prevent the war from starting in the first place.

The DRAFT years did not make war less likely, and those 38 years involved 95% of all U.S. military deaths. Having the draft NEVER did any of the things you claim it could do.

The reason any country has a draft, is NEED. No other reason.

Currently, there are 1.5 million troops on active duty. Volunteer rates easily support that number. The United States supported an all volunteer military with an active strength of 2.3 million. As the population expands, this only gets easier.

Even if you made it illegal to volunteer for the military and selected the entire military through a draft system, you'd still only have 1.5 million serving representing a VERY small segment of America.

IF you want EVERY American family involved, your going to need to draft and build a 20 million person military that is maintained year after year. Where are you going to find the money to do that? Some would even make the argument that having such a massive standing military would make the country more likely to go to war, not less.

The record shows that the United States spent more time engaged in war with a draft and suffered 95% of its military casualties in all its history with a draft, than with an All Volunteer military.

The military service and training forms a basic structure for young citizens much better than E Mail and Texting. Video games are a no brainer.

Israel requires this of all their young men and women and they seem to turn out pretty well.

Also.....the bunch of chicken hawks in the congress would think twice if they were sending their own to some godforsaken desert or mountain range to get wounded or die.

You don't realize that the politically connected would just allow exemptions for them and their kids...right?

You never give the military and the government your people by forcing them into the military....an all volunteer force works the best.

Without a doubt.

it's amazing how some people like to force others to do things in order to gain some personal satisfaction. We don't need a draft, but the suggestion here is that we start one so that people who have members of their family forced into war will suffer like others.

These are probably the same people that approved of Commie Care because it forces people to buy healthcare insurance.

Whenever you use the two words "force" and "government" together, look out, because you're about to lose more freedom.

Yet, when we tell other Americans we should force people to go to work and get off our welfare rolls, we are considered heartless and mean.

Without a doubt.

it's amazing how some people like to force others to do things in order to gain some personal satisfaction. We don't need a draft, but the suggestion here is that we start one so that people who have members of their family forced into war will suffer like others.

These are probably the same people that approved of Commie Care because it forces people to buy healthcare insurance.

Whenever you use the two words "force" and "government" together, look out, because you're about to lose more freedom.

Yet, when we tell other Americans we should force people to go to work and get off our welfare rolls, we are considered heartless and mean.

Just curious.....have you ever been hungry? I'm 81 years old and believe you me if you ever do get hungry, I don't mean peanut butter and jelly sandwich hungry....I mean two day hungry. If you ever do get that hungry I believe you'll have a little more compassion for your fellow man.....you know....like all you bible thumping Republicans are supposed to have.

Without a doubt.

Just curious.....have you ever been hungry? I'm 81 years old and believe you me if you ever do get hungry, I don't mean peanut butter and jelly sandwich hungry....I mean two day hungry. If you ever do get that hungry I believe you'll have a little more compassion for your fellow man.....you know....like all you bible thumping Republicans are supposed to have.

The problem is that most people who use these programs are not hungry at all. They are just taking advantage of the system.

Republicans have no problem taking care of people who can't take care of themselves. Our problem is taking care of people who can.

Today we have over 93 million people that are not in the workforce and have no intention of joining. Our social programs pay enough to discourage people from working. Some who use many of our social programs at once are doing better than many working in this country.

Sure, there are some that really can't help themselves, but one out of ever seven Americans being fed by taxpayers? Sorry, but there is something seriously wrong with figures like that, and that figure is just food stamps. It doesn't include the millions of kids getting free lunch, free breakfast, and even free dinner in some of these schools.

I go grocery shopping. I get behind people on those SNAP's cards. I see what they are doing and what's going on in our country.

Without a doubt.

The problem is that most people who use these programs are not hungry at all. They are just taking advantage of the system.

Republicans have no problem taking care of people who can't take care of themselves. Our problem is taking care of people who can.

Today we have over 93 million people that are not in the workforce and have no intention of joining. Our social programs pay enough to discourage people from working. Some who use many of our social programs at once are doing better than many working in this country.

Sure, there are some that really can't help themselves, but one out of ever seven Americans being fed by taxpayers? Sorry, but there is something seriously wrong with figures like that, and that figure is just food stamps. It doesn't include the millions of kids getting free lunch, free breakfast, and even free dinner in some of these schools.

I go grocery shopping. I get behind people on those SNAP's cards. I see what they are doing and what's going on in our country.

Damn mindreading doesn't count. You folks are so naïve. I have two teen aged grandson's who have more gumption than the entire Republican party.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the party which holds all the wealth and doesn't like to pay taxes might be a little bit prejudiced when they make decisions?

Without a doubt.

Damn mindreading doesn't count. You folks are so naïve. I have two teen aged grandson's who have more gumption than the entire Republican party.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the party which holds all the wealth and doesn't like to pay taxes might be a little bit prejudiced when they make decisions?

The Rich is not a REpublican voting bloc. The middle class in not a Republican voting bloc. The poor is not a Democratic Voting bloc.

Your statement had no connection with reality.

My youngest son joined... he is a changed person (for the better). So proud.

Without a doubt.

How do you figure Republicans hold the wealth? Who do you think Obama sold those $20,000 dinner plate fund raising tickets to--the homeless?

The left has plenty of money coming in. Obama got over 200 million dollars more in campaign contributions than Romney last election. Some of the richest people in this country are leftists such as Gates, Buffett, the late Steve Jobs, Oprah and so on. They have the union money, Hollywood money, trial lawyer money..........

Libertarian memes are so adorable.

A draft involves Americans in foreign policy personally.

Not one argument above is effective against having one.

Libertarian memes are so adorable.

A draft involves Americans in foreign policy personally.

Not one argument above is effective against having one.

Everyone above has kicked your ass.

THat fact that you refuse to consider valid dissenting viewpoints and arguments just shows that you have a closed mind, not that you have made any point.

YOur proposal would be impossible to pay for, reduce military effectiveness, disrupt the lives and freedoms of millions of Americans, in a ploy to gather support for a political agenda you can't advance normally, and that has been shown historically to NOT work that way you think.

And you think you are winning?

My youngest son joined... he is a changed person (for the better). So proud.
My oldest granddaughter and her husband were both working 10-12 hours a day and her husband decided to try the military. He served two tours in Iraq then was in Germany for a while but now.....he's flying the big Chinook helicopters along the demilitarized zone in S. Korea. He has reached the rank of warrant officer and might decide to continue till retirement but whatever he decides to do will be great! His situation...if it continues is great. What if he hadn't made it through the two tours in an unnecessary war in Iraq.......uh oh!!

Fahrenheit 9/11 - Enlist Congressmen's Kids

Last edited:
The Correls and the deniers are all face down with their exposed butts ready for another reaming. A draft would prevent an imperial presidency running an imperial war in the world without the American people really paying attention until too late.

The Correls and the deniers are all face down with their exposed butts ready for another reaming. A draft would prevent an imperial presidency running an imperial war in the world without the American people really paying attention until too late.

Yes......I believe that's about right.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.
Absolute truth, little buddy. We are a far more aware electorate than before the 1970s.

So why didn't that happen with Korea and Vietnam? The fact is, the DRAFT never prevented war ever.

So why didn't that happen with Korea and Vietnam? The fact is, the DRAFT never prevented war ever.
A different electorate that overwhelmingly trusted their leaders to do know best. Father Knows Best has been cancelled for a long, long time. Do you really want Clinton or Trump with a volunteer military?

Forum List

Back