Everyone is dancing around the truth in the Sandra Bland arrest. What happened is obvious.

So he wasn't suspended, he was given desk duty. Pretty routine stuff during an investigation.

I'm positive that the wording of the presser was to dampen the possibility of riots. I'm pretty familiar with the police and protocol and saw absolutely no violation or unreasonable actions on the part of the officer. He did raise his voice and use some language that is questionable but not unreasonable considering the circumstances.

So you can't actually find anything that justifies your position except the press release? Well, you will be disappointed when the police department and the FBI can't find anything to prosecute or discipline the cop with then.

The press release from his employer is all I need. It states very plainly what violations the officer committed. You can deny or minimize it but it changes nothing.
Do you think they will say he did nothing wrong after saying he did?

They aren't going to promote the cop, but they aren't going to fire him either. Unless of course they are afraid of the potential of race riots. Then the failure to back up the PO is worrisome and could be a bigger problem.

I never said they were going to fire him. I simply said that his employer found fault with his conduct.

It's going to be interesting to see what side they fall on. I think they may back up the cop but privately tell him not give warnings for changing lanes again. They came out too early and said protocol was not followed. To be fair, they will have to walk that back and explain the situation.

To be fair?
You seem to think that you know better than
his employer. It will be interresting for sure. I don't think he'll get more than a reprimand but I gurantee they won't walk back anything they've stated.
You are probably right but they have to qualify it somehow. Perhaps reminding the public the proper way to act when stopped by a PO. That Chris Rock video might help..."How not to get beat up by a cop..."

It's because many cops had cigarettes flicked in their faces. It's for their safety.
Says who?

And how many cops have had pissed-off drivers spit in their faces? How do they prevent that? Wear a face mask or order drivers to face the other way?

Unless you can document this absurd, "flicked in their faces," motivation you really shouldn't even bring it up.
What do you mean "says" who"?....Don't be stupid.
Wear a face mask....You are a ridiculous individual..
You are the typical lib who bitches and moans about the cops from afar. Then when you need one...
Oh well.

well that answered that....avoid answering, just like the guy....
I don't know what your asking harry.
sure you do....you said you always agree with dean except here.....so you know what dean says ALL Republicans believe,which is bullshit...when dean says ALL Republicans hate minorities,even though thousands of them have lived out here amongst them for decades and have even married them...so do you agree with him?...do you believe all Republicans hate gays,the poor,dont want people to have health ins,dont like science and education...this is what this unfortunate stroonge believes....so do you agree with him?....because by saying what you said above...you do...he said i was a racist in another thread last week,when i asked him to do what he claims he does better than anyone here,prove it....the guy just could not do it,so he started playing his little games that he always plays..."i dont know what you are talking about"....thats what im talking about bobo....
Are you really trying to make us defend ourselves when we say "Republicans" do something? Just like not all whites aren't racist and all liberals aren't godless, no not all Republicans are racist. I think you know what we mean.

Great example or comparison is saying "the black community needs help". No not every black in that community needs help but the community as a whole does. Same with the GOP.
no not all Republicans are racist. I think you know what we mean.
sorry bobo when i asked dean to clarify himself he would not....and myself and others have asked him more than once....he would not even say what you said right here....there is only one lefty here who has not been afraid to say dean is out there and thinks he gives lefties a bad name like shootspeeders gives righties a bad name....just one that i know of....all the others will dance,even those that have "claimed" dean is kinda obsessed with republicans.....they did just what you are doing here,defend the jerk....
I have loved and agreed with 99.9% of his posts. Can you give me an example of when he has ever been wrong, besides here?
i gave you a few examples of the shit he says around here,and he doesnt mean just the far right or religious right or just some republicans he means all....this is one i throw at him a lot because because he came off like jerk after posted it....the headline of a thread he did a few years back..."Republicans HATE Education and want to END it".....no where in the link he posted did any righty say that...when questioned about it he said republican governors are slashing their states education budgets....so myself and ten other posters showed him links showing that democratic governors were doing likewise....deans response?....well they have legitimate reasons,the republicans its because they want to end all education because they hate education....yet till this day he cant come up with one republican saying that....not even a far right religious jerk....no one....eat his shit up bobo,it makes you look like the type of clown he is....

Skeptical? Then tell me where it is you think he violated any policy.

I think the press release from the dept. says what you need to know. There may be more details forthcoming but they certainly won't say he did nothing wrong after saying he did

HEMPSTEAD, Texas – The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland on a traffic stop last Friday has been put on desk duty for violating procedures. The DPS said the unidentified trooper "violated the department's procedures regarding traffic stops and the department's courtesy policy."

So he wasn't suspended, he was given desk duty. Pretty routine stuff during an investigation.

I'm positive that the wording of the presser was to dampen the possibility of riots. I'm pretty familiar with the police and protocol and saw absolutely no violation or unreasonable actions on the part of the officer. He did raise his voice and use some language that is questionable but not unreasonable considering the circumstances.

So you can't actually find anything that justifies your position except the press release? Well, you will be disappointed when the police department and the FBI can't find anything to prosecute or discipline the cop with then.

The press release from his employer is all I need. It states very plainly what violations the officer committed. You can deny or minimize it but it changes nothing.

It does? Well that must be a different one than the one you linked to. Please post a link to that one. I'd like to know what violation he committed since no one here, especially not you, seem to be able to point one out.

Yes. They will not charge him with any crime or violation. They cannot, he committed none. If you disagree, why can't you point out a violation to me?

I gave you the link. Accept it or don't.

Your link does say what you claim it says. Why are you avoiding facing the obvious?

He didn't arrest her for being a smart ass but that's what started the whole thing.

Really? What did he pull her out to arrest her for then?
To do a breathalizer maybe. Anyone being that rude after being let off with a warning must be under the influence. If a cop says get out of the car, get out. You don't know your rights. All you know is you don't want to get lit up. Get out of the car. If a judge tells you to stop talking or sit down, do you do it?

But he didn't do a breathalyzer, did he?
How did the officer go from having the ticket in hand, ready to give it to her , to pulling her out of the car? The only thing that changed was his temper.

Wrong. She got hostile with him, and he told here to put out her cigarette. Her refusal constituted his more stern reaction. It was all on her.

He asked her to put it out. He didn't order her to. What he should have done was just give her the ticket in his hand and send her on her way.

Likely he would have done that had she not escalated it.

They aren't going to promote the cop, but they aren't going to fire him either. Unless of course they are afraid of the potential of race riots. Then the failure to back up the PO is worrisome and could be a bigger problem.

I never said they were going to fire him. I simply said that his employer found fault with his conduct.

It's going to be interesting to see what side they fall on. I think they may back up the cop but privately tell him not give warnings for changing lanes again. They came out too early and said protocol was not followed. To be fair, they will have to walk that back and explain the situation.
BINGO....The police brass over reacted to the incident. After careful review of the accounts and the video, walk back is a most accurate term.

And they will. The cop did nothing wrong.

This:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 64
I will neither agree nor disagree with you because I know nothing about this cop's record, which should be the determining factor in what happens to him.

You have an articulate and good looking black woman who probably came from up north some where and you have a very red neck white officer with that hickey kind of country accent. He's probably spent his entire life within 10 miles of where that incident took place. I bet he has a half dozen confederate T shirts.

For some reason, and you can see it here on the USMB, conservatives and right wingers believe you should just give up every right you have and instantly jump at what a police officer says, no matter the circumstances, or you get what you deserve. Especially if you are black, Hispanic, gay or some other minority. It's an example of the ultimate police state.

So he stops her for not using her turn signal. Of course she should use her turn signal, that's what it's there for. He should have just given her a ticket or a warning. And if it was some other white with that hickey accent, you know he would have only given a verbal warning if he had bothered to stop them.

And I'll tell you something else. I have relatives in the deep south that I spent some vacations and a couple of summers with growing up. I speak perfect "Yawl (or as some USMB members insist, "ya'll"), and I have been stopped because my license is from out of state and I just start talking Yawl and they suddenly talk very nice and have never given me a ticket.

Clearly that officer provoked her and escalated the situation with "put out your cigarette" and "step out of the car" and arresting her. It wasn't that he wanted her respect. He wanted her to cower and shuffle and she wasn't having it. So in his tiny and racist little mind, he was teaching her a lesson and it was within his right to teach her that lesson no matter what the actual law said because of who he was, the uniform he was wearing and who she was. In that part of the country, it's the "natural order" of things.
You're being ridiculous. There is no indication whatsoever that the officer was racist.
She didn't use a turn signal so she deserved to die. Never heard that "rule" applied to a white person, have you?

God but you're clueless! She took her own life. She went to jail because she decided to give a police officer attitude over a warning that she was being issued. Was it a ticky tack traffic stop? Getting pulled over for not signalling a lane change? Hell yeah, it was but that's what police officers DO! I'm making a guess that the area this took place in is being targeted by the police, which means they're stopping every vehicle that they can for whatever reason they can. I've been pulled over by the police many times in just the same way. They talk to you, ask you where it is you're going, check your info, then they issue you a warning and you're on your way. Is it a pain in the ass sitting there on the side of the road while they check you out? Hell, yeah it is but you're an idiot if you decide that the intelligent thing to do is to get in the cop's face for stopping you. Get this through your head...that cop isn't looking for YOU...he or she is looking for BAD GUYS DOING BAD STUFF! They ARE going to let you go on your way with a warning. They don't want to cite you! They don't want to arrest you! Look at it this way...if they see you again...they're probably going to remember you as that person who didn't come back with priors or outstanding warrants. You're one of the GOOD GUYS! The kind of people that police officers like!

Ok. I agree up to the point the cop lost his shit. Even his boss said he didn't follow procedure. What was she arrested for?
The cop had all of the control. You can't arrest someone for being a smartass. That's on video as well. The cop has an obligation to be professional as well since it's being recorders and all. Otherwise he is a liability.
Why you all defer to the cops is beyond me.
He didn't arrest her for being a smart ass but that's what started the whole thing.

To do a breathalizer maybe. Anyone being that rude after being let off with a warning must be under the influence. If a cop says get out of the car, get out. You don't know your rights. All you know is you don't want to get lit up. Get out of the car. If a judge tells you to stop talking or sit down, do you do it?
I saw the video. She was acting very erratic. That made me suspect that she was on drugs. After seeing her mugshot I sure of it. She was obviously stoned.

According to records, she also had serious emotional problems. She was a cutter who had attempted suicide in the past.

You have an articulate and good looking black woman who probably came from up north some where and you have a very red neck white officer with that hickey kind of country accent. He's probably spent his entire life within 10 miles of where that incident took place. I bet he has a half dozen confederate T shirts.

For some reason, and you can see it here on the USMB, conservatives and right wingers believe you should just give up every right you have and instantly jump at what a police officer says, no matter the circumstances, or you get what you deserve. Especially if you are black, Hispanic, gay or some other minority. It's an example of the ultimate police state.

So he stops her for not using her turn signal. Of course she should use her turn signal, that's what it's there for. He should have just given her a ticket or a warning. And if it was some other white with that hickey accent, you know he would have only given a verbal warning if he had bothered to stop them.

And I'll tell you something else. I have relatives in the deep south that I spent some vacations and a couple of summers with growing up. I speak perfect "Yawl (or as some USMB members insist, "ya'll"), and I have been stopped because my license is from out of state and I just start talking Yawl and they suddenly talk very nice and have never given me a ticket.

Clearly that officer provoked her and escalated the situation with "put out your cigarette" and "step out of the car" and arresting her. It wasn't that he wanted her respect. He wanted her to cower and shuffle and she wasn't having it. So in his tiny and racist little mind, he was teaching her a lesson and it was within his right to teach her that lesson no matter what the actual law said because of who he was, the uniform he was wearing and who she was. In that part of the country, it's the "natural order" of things.
You're being ridiculous. There is no indication whatsoever that the officer was racist.
God but you're clueless! She took her own life. She went to jail because she decided to give a police officer attitude over a warning that she was being issued. Was it a ticky tack traffic stop? Getting pulled over for not signalling a lane change? Hell yeah, it was but that's what police officers DO! I'm making a guess that the area this took place in is being targeted by the police, which means they're stopping every vehicle that they can for whatever reason they can. I've been pulled over by the police many times in just the same way. They talk to you, ask you where it is you're going, check your info, then they issue you a warning and you're on your way. Is it a pain in the ass sitting there on the side of the road while they check you out? Hell, yeah it is but you're an idiot if you decide that the intelligent thing to do is to get in the cop's face for stopping you. Get this through your head...that cop isn't looking for YOU...he or she is looking for BAD GUYS DOING BAD STUFF! They ARE going to let you go on your way with a warning. They don't want to cite you! They don't want to arrest you! Look at it this way...if they see you again...they're probably going to remember you as that person who didn't come back with priors or outstanding warrants. You're one of the GOOD GUYS! The kind of people that police officers like!

Ok. I agree up to the point the cop lost his shit. Even his boss said he didn't follow procedure. What was she arrested for?
The cop had all of the control. You can't arrest someone for being a smartass. That's on video as well. The cop has an obligation to be professional as well since it's being recorders and all. Otherwise he is a liability.

I saw the video. She was acting very erratic. That made me suspect that she was on drugs. After seeing her mugshot I sure of it. She was obviously stoned.

According to records, she also had serious emotional problems. She was a cutter who had attempted suicide in the past.

She may have been stoned but I think what she was trying to do was goad the officer into doing something wrong. She was an activist. I believe she fully intended to give the officer as much trouble as she could. Maybe she thought she'd get a visit from Al Sharpton.

I will neither agree nor disagree with you because I know nothing about this cop's record, which should be the determining factor in what happens to him.
If the cop has a negative record, this video isn't enough of a bad performance to slip the balance of firing him. His behavior just was not that bad and he was working with an out if control woman...one that could have been high and been an even bigger problem.

She may have been stoned but I think what she was trying to do was goad the officer into doing something wrong. She was an activist. I believe she fully intended to give the officer as much trouble as she could. Maybe she thought she'd get a visit from Al Sharpton.

He was talking about her on his show this weekend and even some black callers called in and said maybe black people need to be more polite. Al said, "is it against the law to smoke a cigarette in your car?"

So there lies the problem. Al is instigating black people instead of educating them and giving them good advice.
They know there rights? Yea, so did she.

Rdean, she failed to follow the rules and she got what she deserved. Follow the rules and this sort of stuff doesn't happen

I'm 4 years old and have never gotten a movie g violation or been arrested. Why the cast majority of Americans can't say the same thing suggests to me that the biggest problem in thus country is likely it's citizens.
She didn't use a turn signal so she deserved to die. Never heard that "rule" applied to a white person, have you?

I have been pulled over several times when I lived in Texas by cops for things like not having a front license plate (a ten dollar fine), and bogus speeding charges (dropped), just because cops like to be assholes and pull people over to run the plates and do sobriety tests. I was annoyed as hell each time it happened but I didn't aggravate the situation into something worse. I took it to court and proved the asshole cops were in the wrong each time.

When detained individuals refuse to follow directions given to them by a uniformed police officer, it's not a "verbal confrontation", Hutch...it's breaking the law.
A uniformed police officer is required to perform his duties in a specific and prescribed manner, called Procedure. When procedure is deliberately violated the misconduct can rise to the level of criminal behavior.

What misconduct rose to the level of criminal behavior in that traffic stop? She was an idiot for arguing about getting a warning. He let her get under his skin. If I were him I would have simply torn up the warning and issued her a ticket.

When detained individuals refuse to follow directions given to them by a uniformed police officer, it's not a "verbal confrontation", Hutch...it's breaking the law.
A uniformed police officer is required to perform his duties in a specific and prescribed manner, called Procedure. When procedure is deliberately violated the misconduct can rise to the level of criminal behavior.

What misconduct rose to the level of criminal behavior in that traffic stop? She was an idiot for arguing about getting a warning. He let her get under his skin. If I were him I would have simply torn up the warning and issued her a ticket.
And put on the ticket that the lady was uncooperative, argumentative and used foul language directed to the cop. Let the judge handle that woman and she would have landed the same fate. Jail.
My ex once told a cop that stopped him for speeding that he hoped he got laid off, which was happening at the time. He had to go be fore a judge for that ticket of going 15 miles over the speed limit and had to pay $400 for his big mouth.

And put on the ticket that the lady was uncooperative, argumentative and used foul language directed to the cop. Let the judge handle that woman and she would have landed the same fate. Jail.
My ex once told a cop that stopped him for speeding that he hoped he got laid off, which was happening at the time. He had to go be fore a judge for that ticket of going 15 miles over the speed limit and had to pay $400 for his big mouth.

My guess is that if she had been issued a ticket rather than a warning, she would have most likely blown a gasket and refused to sign it...at which point she'd have committed an arrestable offense. No need to get mad at the idiots...just give them the opportunity to do something stupid.

Step out of the car. When she didn't she fucked up.

Judge tells you to sit down or shut up and you keep jawing, that's contempt. 3 days in jail.

My guess is that if she had been issued a ticket rather than a warning, she would have most likely blown a gasket and refused to sign it...at which point she'd have committed an arrestable offense. No need to get mad at the idiots...just give them the opportunity to do something stupid.
If she hadn't committed suicide she would have probably gotten in trouble with the judge.

We will see what they do with the cop. Should he go to jail? Be fired? Be suspended? Written up?

What rule says one cannot smoke in one's own vehicle?

When a cop wants you out of the car he doesn't need a lighted cigarette flicked into his face.
You need to look at Texas Law. And under Texas law the cop was wrong. Number one she was illegally stopped because she pulled away to allow the emergency vehicle to pass. No turn signal required. It was an illegal stop therefore any order he gave her was an unlawful order.

What rule says one cannot smoke in one's own vehicle?

When a cop wants you out of the car he doesn't need a lighted cigarette flicked into his face.
You need to look at Texas Law. And under Texas law the cop was wrong. Number one she was illegally stopped because she pulled away to allow the emergency vehicle to pass. No turn signal required. It was an illegal stop therefore any order he gave her was an unlawful order.

§545.104 - SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS (a) An operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked position.
(b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of movement of the vehicle before the turn.
(c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle approaching from the rear.

That is Texas law, Hawkeye...there is no exemption to the use of turn signals because you're pulling over to allow and emergency vehicle to pass. It was not an illegal stop...nor was his order for her to exit the vehicle illegal.

Forum List

Back