Everyone is dancing around the truth in the Sandra Bland arrest. What happened is obvious.

What abuse? Asking her to put out her cigarette and step out of the car?

Damn you are one stupid fuck if you think that was abuse.
Did he tell her he suspected she might be under the influence and ask her to step out for a roadside test (as he's required to do)? Or did he angrily command her to "Get out or I will light you up!" like he was talking to a n!gger back in the 1950s?

What did he expect from that under today's political circumstances? He seems to be living in the past. If you don't think his conduct was the stuff riots are made of, why do you suppose he's been suspended?

And please don't perceive me to be what you probably regard as a "bleeding heart left-wing liberal," because I have no such orientation and my impression of Sandra Bland is no different from yours. I simply have no tolerance for cops who seem to think the U.S. is Germany of the 1930s and they are the Gestapo. And because I believe what the late Dr. Erich Fromm said about authoritarian government officials, which is: "What they do to the lesser among us today they will do to the rest of us tomorrow. Because their hunger for power knows no boundary"[/i]

Give that some thought.

Did he tell her he suspected she might be under the influence and ask her to step out for a roadside test (as he's required to do)? Or did he angrily command her to "Get out or I will light you up!" like he was talking to a n!gger back in the 1950s?

What did he expect from that under today's political circumstances? He seems to be living in the past. If you don't think his conduct was the stuff riots are made of, why do you suppose he's been suspended?

And please don't perceive me to be what you probably regard as a "bleeding heart left-wing liberal," because I have no such orientation and my impression of Sandra Bland is no different from yours. I simply have no tolerance for cops who seem to think the U.S. is Germany of the 1930s and they are the Gestapo. And because I believe what the late Dr. Erich Fromm said about authoritarian government officials, which is: "What they do to the lesser among us today they will do to the rest of us tomorrow. Because their hunger for power knows no boundary"[/i]

Give that some thought.

He told her to get out of the car because he was placing her under arrest, not for a DUI.

A cop cannot run his actions through the filter of wether people will riot or not. That is absurd.

The comparison to Nazi Germany is absurdly over the top.

Give that some thought.

Gee, Mike...do you think that equating arresting someone for being an idiot over a traffic warning, with Gestapo tactics in Germany in the 1930's, might be just a BIT over the top? C'mon...

The girl was unstable due to emotional problems or drugs. The police cannot be blamed for that.
But they can be blamed for behaving in an improper, unnecessarily aggressive and provocative manner. Which is why the cop has been suspended. That situation could have been avoided if he didn't perceive himself to be Mr. Charlie from Uncle Tom's Cabin.

As it is the taxpayers will be paying out a hefty lawsuit settlement and the people of that community will be lucky if no riots develop.

Give that some thought.

And I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that a police officer has to tell someone that they are suspected of being under the influence before asking them to step out of a vehicle. The Supreme Court ruled back in 1997 that police have the right to ask anyone inside of a stopped vehicle to step out of the vehicle.

Gee, Mike...do you think that equating arresting someone for being an idiot over a traffic warning, with Gestapo tactics in Germany in the 1930's, might be just a BIT over the top? C'mon...
"It's not what you do, it's the way how ya do it."

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike but I don't believe the Gestapo issued "warnings" for traffic stops...

The girl was unstable due to emotional problems or drugs. The police cannot be blamed for that.
But they can be blamed for behaving in an improper, unnecessarily aggressive and provocative manner. Which is why the cop has been suspended. That situation could have been avoided if he didn't perceive himself to be Mr. Charlie from Uncle Tom's Cabin.

As it is the taxpayers will be paying out a hefty lawsuit settlement and the people of that community will be lucky if no riots develop.
Riots??! That's exact;y what the black community needs to do to clean up their reputation. The woman swears at a cop worse than a drunken sailor then kills herself. And the thugs in the black community honor her memory with a riot. Makes sense to me. Not.

What is your definition of abuse? What is your definition of civil comportment, of professional police tactics, of everyday manners? I tend to believe that they do not meet the threshold of more civilized Americans.

My definition is the same as the dictionary. IMO the only person who was rude and I'll mannered was the woman. The policeman, the courts and/or police department will confirm, acted professionally.

DPS Trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland violated procedures

Blah blah blah, they aren't specifying what policy. It's PR crap. They are trying to stem tension. If you disagree, tell me what you think he did that was wrong.

Oh , PR crap. I see.

Skeptical? Then tell me where it is you think he violated any policy.

I think the press release from the dept. says what you need to know. There may be more details forthcoming but they certainly won't say he did nothing wrong after saying he did

HEMPSTEAD, Texas – The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland on a traffic stop last Friday has been put on desk duty for violating procedures. The DPS said the unidentified trooper "violated the department's procedures regarding traffic stops and the department's courtesy policy."

When detained individuals refuse to follow directions given to them by a uniformed police officer, it's not a "verbal confrontation", Hutch...it's breaking the law.
A uniformed police officer is required to perform his duties in a specific and prescribed manner, called Procedure. When procedure is deliberately violated the misconduct can rise to the level of criminal behavior.

Give that some thought.
The cops are NOT required to tell her fuck all about why he is asking then telling her to get out of the car. THE FUCKING LAW! says the cop only has to tell someone why they are being detained AFTER the cop has the person in a secure setting. IE no danger to the cop. That usually means putting on handcuffs first.
"I am detaining you on suspicion of.................."
For God's sake do some reading before you come here and run your dumb mouth.
Cops have to deal with scum like you everyday. Next time YOU get pulled over try doing what the negro bitch did and see what happens. (What will actually happen is you'll behave like a nice little vaguely gay pussy LOL)

My definition is the same as the dictionary. IMO the only person who was rude and I'll mannered was the woman. The policeman, the courts and/or police department will confirm, acted professionally.

DPS Trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland violated procedures

Blah blah blah, they aren't specifying what policy. It's PR crap. They are trying to stem tension. If you disagree, tell me what you think he did that was wrong.

Oh , PR crap. I see.

Skeptical? Then tell me where it is you think he violated any policy.

I think the press release from the dept. says what you need to know. There may be more details forthcoming but they certainly won't say he did nothing wrong after saying he did

HEMPSTEAD, Texas – The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland on a traffic stop last Friday has been put on desk duty for violating procedures. The DPS said the unidentified trooper "violated the department's procedures regarding traffic stops and the department's courtesy policy."

So he wasn't suspended, he was given desk duty. Pretty routine stuff during an investigation.

I'm positive that the wording of the presser was to dampen the possibility of riots. I'm pretty familiar with the police and protocol and saw absolutely no violation or unreasonable actions on the part of the officer. He did raise his voice and use some language that is questionable but not unreasonable considering the circumstances.

So you can't actually find anything that justifies your position except the press release? Well, you will be disappointed when the police department and the FBI can't find anything to prosecute or discipline the cop with then.

When detained individuals refuse to follow directions given to them by a uniformed police officer, it's not a "verbal confrontation", Hutch...it's breaking the law.
A uniformed police officer is required to perform his duties in a specific and prescribed manner, called Procedure. When procedure is deliberately violated the misconduct can rise to the level of criminal behavior.

What behavior violated policy? You saw the video right? What did the cop do that was wrong?

there apparently are a lot of stupid cops in this country....they know there is a good chance they are being filmed and yet still act like assholes like this dipshit....he knows he was standing under a fucking camera and yet still did this shit.....

Sarasota Cop Andrew Halpin Seen on Tape Throwing Peanuts at Homeless Man - NBC News
You're quite right. In many examples it is clear that misconduct is the result of an exaggerated sense of power. But I believe a major cause of police misconduct is inadequate and/or improper training and supervision.

Give that some thought.

Yes, after he commanded she get out and she refused he did threaten to "light her up".

Is that how you spoke to ni***ers back in the day?

Don't know why he was assigned to desk duty, perhaps his shirt was wrinkled.

My perception of you is irrelevant, however your position is very liberal.

What we don't know is what policy he violated.

From what I observed he followed proper procedure. You cannot say for certain he violated any procedural policy.
For one thing, the TASER is to be used when ordinary means of physical restraint or control is insufficient. The TASER is a potentially lethal device which too many cops seem to think may be used indiscriminately. This cop didn't inform Bland why he wanted her to exit the car, he aimed his TASER at her and threatened to "light her up."

While you might think that's okay, or should be -- it isn't. And that's why he is suspended and facing charges.

This is not 1950.

Rdean, she failed to follow the rules and she got what she deserved. Follow the rules and this sort of stuff doesn't happen

I'm 4 years old and have never gotten a movie g violation or been arrested. Why the cast majority of Americans can't say the same thing suggests to me that the biggest problem in thus country is likely it's citizens.
She didn't use a turn signal so she deserved to die. Never heard that "rule" applied to a white person, have you?

God but you're clueless! She took her own life. She went to jail because she decided to give a police officer attitude over a warning that she was being issued. Was it a ticky tack traffic stop? Getting pulled over for not signalling a lane change? Hell yeah, it was but that's what police officers DO! I'm making a guess that the area this took place in is being targeted by the police, which means they're stopping every vehicle that they can for whatever reason they can. I've been pulled over by the police many times in just the same way. They talk to you, ask you where it is you're going, check your info, then they issue you a warning and you're on your way. Is it a pain in the ass sitting there on the side of the road while they check you out? Hell, yeah it is but you're an idiot if you decide that the intelligent thing to do is to get in the cop's face for stopping you. Get this through your head...that cop isn't looking for YOU...he or she is looking for BAD GUYS DOING BAD STUFF! They ARE going to let you go on your way with a warning. They don't want to cite you! They don't want to arrest you! Look at it this way...if they see you again...they're probably going to remember you as that person who didn't come back with priors or outstanding warrants. You're one of the GOOD GUYS! The kind of people that police officers like!

Ok. I agree up to the point the cop lost his shit. Even his boss said he didn't follow procedure. What was she arrested for?
The cop had all of the control. You can't arrest someone for being a smartass. That's on video as well. The cop has an obligation to be professional as well since it's being recorders and all. Otherwise he is a liability.
Why you all defer to the cops is beyond me.
He didn't arrest her for being a smart ass but that's what started the whole thing.

Really? What did he pull her out to arrest her for then?
To do a breathalizer maybe. Anyone being that rude after being let off with a warning must be under the influence. If a cop says get out of the car, get out. You don't know your rights. All you know is you don't want to get lit up. Get out of the car. If a judge tells you to stop talking or sit down, do you do it?

Forum List

Back