Executive orders are for the birds

Trump is set to sign an EO that cuts back on funding the UN. I LOVE the idea
Trump froze federal workers. I LOVE it.
I just don't love EOs.. Maybe for naming parks and shit. He is changing shit up, I like it.. but like kaz said, another swipe of the pen and POOF.
Do shit right. Fucking negotiate like you said you would.

yep, part of me says fuck it, the libs did it whenever they could and opened pandora's box. I remember clearly the old "I've got a pen and a phone" bullshit from the dearly departed megalomaniac. now they pay the price for their own short-sightedness.

the other part of me does not like, at all, the continued erosion of the system of checks and balances that I think is important. I didn't like it with Obama and I don't like it now.

Reverse Obama's EO's. each and every one with a sliver of substance. burn all of them. then go to Congress and do it right.

I doubt very much that happens however. No branch is going to give up power. Once doors are opened they have a tendency to stay open.

I just don't love EOs.. Maybe for naming parks and shit. He is changing shit up, I like it.. but like kaz said, another swipe of the pen and POOF.

Negotiate with who? The Rats won't even confirm his Cabinet and have vowed to obstruct him any way they can. The EO is a useful tool and nobody can touch what he's doing for four years. I hope he keeps it up.

How do you think he's going to establish a Safe Zone in Syria without the UN?

He froze federal workers, yes, but it will be front line services, like inspecting Perdue chicken for safety and issuing your social security card and approving new cancer drugs for the market that is slowed down. The park rangers who keep it safe for tourists.
If he takes that freeze and uses it to cut 50% of the paperwork and the middle level of management, then puts the front line service folks back to work, he will have done well.

If he's smart he'll pull out of Syria and leave it be.

Personally for those things we want pretty permanent, I don't want them easily undone with a pen.

Negotiate with who? The Rats won't even confirm his Cabinet and have vowed to obstruct him any way they can. The EO is a useful tool and nobody can touch what he's doing for four years. I hope he keeps it up.

He froze federal workers, yes, but it will be front line services, like inspecting Perdue chicken for safety and issuing your social security card and approving new cancer drugs for the market that is slowed down. The park rangers who keep it safe for tourists.
If he takes that freeze and uses it to cut 50% of the paperwork and the middle level of management, then puts the front line service folks back to work, he will have done well.

If he's smart he'll pull out of Syria and leave it be.

I agree with that, there is no end game being involved with Syria

Frankly, you are demonstrating a significant amount of ignorance concerning Executive Orders, particularly given the prolific use of them in the last administration to make law.

You seem to forget that the President is running a large organization - the executive branch of the US Government. It is impossible for him/her to manage all facets of an organizations that large. Therefore, written direction is required in order to ensure that the lower levels understand their direction.

In a company, these are most often called Operating Instructions, Policy Guidelines, or some such other name. They use them to define who can sign checks, the method for managing/authorizing travel, controlling expenses, etc., etc., etc.

The current President has reissued Executive Orders in order to define how he wants the elements of the Executive Branch to conduct business - to do their job, as authorized by Congress. The previous president used EOs to redefine the laws passed by Congress, to implement programs NOT authorized by Congress. In addition, the Obama EOs no longer carry any force, and even if Trump agrees with Obama's implementation/direction, he must sign a new (reissued) EO.

It is no coincidence that the previous administration finished 0-19 when their "EOs" were challenged in court. Nothing done by the current administration even approaches a level necessary for court action (though, I'm sure that won't stop some from trying to sue, anyway). The closest he has come so far is to deny some funding to so-called 'sanctuary cities' (better known as 'war zones').
Presidents aren't supposed to have that much power. But thanks for my dose of statism. It gave me wings. <pun intended>
And no, EOs don't have an expiration date.

At least before the last occupant that was mostly how they were used.
I think many of these are undoing Obama eos.

Now for the UN funding I'll need more info.
I thought all they had to do was rescind it and that was it? If you read the text of them, that's not what they are. Granted, I have only read a couple. And I know a couple are just him doing what he said he would and they don't go against something Obama signed.
Obviously, at least as far as I know.

Yeah I agree if we can get a law we should do.it, but I think many are seeing the tone. Like the wall one, its just getting started info in place, he'll have congress put it in the budget.

Laws tell you WHAT - EOs tell you HOW.

Frankly, you are demonstrating a significant amount of ignorance concerning Executive Orders, particularly given the prolific use of them in the last administration to make law.

You seem to forget that the President is running a large organization - the executive branch of the US Government. It is impossible for him/her to manage all facets of an organizations that large. Therefore, written direction is required in order to ensure that the lower levels understand their direction.

In a company, these are most often called Operating Instructions, Policy Guidelines, or some such other name. They use them to define who can sign checks, the method for managing/authorizing travel, controlling expenses, etc., etc., etc.

The current President has reissued Executive Orders in order to define how he wants the elements of the Executive Branch to conduct business - to do their job, as authorized by Congress. The previous president used EOs to redefine the laws passed by Congress, to implement programs NOT authorized by Congress. In addition, the Obama EOs no longer carry any force, and even if Trump agrees with Obama's implementation/direction, he must sign a new (reissued) EO.

It is no coincidence that the previous administration finished 0-19 when their "EOs" were challenged in court. Nothing done by the current administration even approaches a level necessary for court action (though, I'm sure that won't stop some from trying to sue, anyway). The closest he has come so far is to deny some funding to so-called 'sanctuary cities' (better known as 'war zones').
Presidents aren't supposed to have that much power. But thanks for my dose of statism. It gave me wings. <pun intended>

Trump needs to change Mt McKinley back to Mt McKinley

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do have an expiration date.

Personally for those things we want pretty permanent, I don't want them easily undone with a pen.

You are almost impossible to reply to....why not put your reply under what you are replying to like everybody else? Again, the EOs he's doing are no more reversible for four years than legislation would be. There are things he can't do on his own as Barry found out.

Let's see, we funding virtually all of the UN, supply a vast number of troops and equipment. How about we just do it ourselves? Blow everything up and leave.

What makes you think you need those losers to do anything successful in Syria?
I don't know anything. I have HEARD from people who profess to know that Safe Zones will require the UN's cooperation to run. Otherwise, we will just be embroiled in the war trying to hold them. Cooperation, ya know?

Sounds just like Obama. I assume you supported him pening his will as well?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do have an expiration date.
If they write it in. They aren't born with expiration dates.

I'm all for defunding the UN and don't care how it's done
Just seems like a circle of stupidity. Sign an EO so the next ideologue can reverse it in 10 seconds.. If you get shit done right, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Or if they do it right the next one comes along and undoes it with an EO
But that wouldn't be constitutional.

IDK, the entire EO thing got blown up to where it shouldn't be. But it is comical to see the left loons whine about it given Obama and his pen

Cutting funding to the UN is not very smart... The UN is the kingpin of US soft power... The US basically runs the UN... Look at the Israeli vote, not until the US abstained did the UN get a vote through... They have been trying for 20 years...
Is it a frustrating place? Of course. They a re a group of just under 200 countries and getting to agree is hard but there is a hell of a lot less shooting and more talking..

Let's see, we funding virtually all of the UN, supply a vast number of troops and equipment. How about we just do it ourselves? Blow everything up and leave.

What makes you think you need those losers to do anything successful in Syria?
I don't know anything. I have HEARD from people who profess to know that Safe Zones will require the UN's cooperation to run. Otherwise, we will just be embroiled in the war trying to hold them. Cooperation, ya know?

Nope, how did their "Mission" in Lebanon work out for them?
Or Bosnia?
Or Somalia?

Forum List

Back