Factcheck.org: judging Obama's presidency based on FACTS not hyperbole or rhetoric

You are of course conveniently denying that the economy was in a free fall starting in 2007. Obviously the effects of that are going to spill over into his presidency.

Tell me. What exactly have republicans done to improve our economy since Bush was in office up until now?

Please show me, in relation to the GDP where the economy was in free fall. Actually what we see is the GDP grow about the average and come back to where normal growth would have been. So no real "free fall."

fredgraph.png

Obviously I was talking about jobs.

Yeah, about that:

Labor Force Participation Rate as of 10/2013:

latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2003_2013_all_period_M10_data.gif

62.8%

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Last edited:
Under Obama poverty is much worse than Bush. Our standing in the world has declined. The number of people on public assistance has exploded. The Federal debt has exploded. Those are the main facts of the OP's story.

Those thing are measurable.

What is not measurable is much worse for Obama. The fact he lied about about almost every facet of Obamacare in order to get it passed has been a huge hit to his credibility, and will be a massive stain on his legacy. The fact he greatly escalated Bush's domestic spying program and then lied to Congress and the American people about it. The fact he made closing Gitmo a major campaign theme and hammered Bush on the issue, and then reneged on his promise.

The "fact check" posted by the OP is garbage (not the op's fault). It is something put together by an Obama apologist that tries to give the appearance of being fair....while largely ignoring the character lapses and failures of Obama that now have a majority American's actively distrusting him.

Most "fact check" things are complete bullshit...as the "fact checker" only looks at those facts they choose to, and then, only through a lens which helps make their political point. Do not be fooled.

I don't understand why you do not take into account the 2007 recession. Yes obviously quality of life is going to be worse under Obama. Shit went bad a year before he came into office. That is not Obama's fault. Since then Obama has created 2.5 more jobs than Bush ever did. You want to put the blame on someone for the increased poverty? Blame the corporations. They have had record profits with stagnant wages. Obama tried to raise the minimum wage. And yeah, because of an increase in poverty, more people are on government assistance. That's just a consequence.

The problem with your contention, Billy is that Bush's job creation numbers are TOTALLY skewed by all the jobs that were lost in the 2007 collapse. The truth is that recessions typically have a natural bounce back where the economy gets much better and people go back to work. That hasn't happened under Barack Obama and at some point one has to point to his policies...things like ObamaCare and a failed stimulus. Threats by the EPA to impose strict new green house gas standards on American businesses. The Justice Department hindering companies like Boeing when they tried to open up a new plant in South Carolina. The Department of the Interior using the Gulf oil spill to shut down permits even to shallow water drillers with spotless safety records. The decision to delay the Keystone pipeline over and over again with calls for new "studies". Calls for a higher minimum wage despite knowing it will cost jobs and slow growth. That's not even getting into his totally confused foreign policy that's brought the Middle East to the brink of major conflict over nuclear weapons.

I know you love the guy, Billy but Barack Obama is floundering badly with this Presidency.

Last edited:
7.3% unemployment rate?? HAHAHA. No one but brainless libs believe that outrageous obozo lie. He also claims the inflation rate is just 1% and he's deporting record number of illegals!!! Obozo's lies are not even close to the truth - but he knows the controlled media will let him get away with it.

7.3% unemployment rate?? HAHAHA. No one but brainless libs believe that outrageous obozo lie. He also claims the inflation rate is just 1% and he's deporting record number of illegals!!! Obozo's lies are not even close to the truth - but he knows the controlled media will let him get away with it.

I wouldn't say you are completely wrong, but do you have any facts to back up those assertions? While they may be manipulating the numbers, at least they have numbers. You come in with baseless accusations. If you want to argue politics with the big boys you are expected to bring some sort of facts to the table to support your claims.

I wouldn't say you are completely wrong, but do you have any facts to back up those assertions? While they may be manipulating the numbers, at least they have numbers. You come in with baseless accusations. If you want to argue politics with the big boys you are expected to bring some sort of facts to the table to support your claims.

Ah, not for nothing but if you don't buy someone's assertion then why aren't YOU countering that assertion with facts that disprove it? Looking at Templar's graph that shows plunging workforce participation numbers I'd say you've got your work cut out for you to show that the "official" unemployment numbers don't represent the "real" number of people who are out of work and have simply given up looking.

Regarding the inflation rate, Obama is correct that the inflation rate is ≈1.2%.

Current Inflation Rates | Monthly and Yearly Chart, Graph and Table: 2003-2013 Data - US Inflation Calculator

As for his record number of deportations, that is only half true. And as they say, a half truth is worse than the greatest lie. While there was a significant jump in deportations, he has deported far less illegals in his tenure than Bush has in his 8 years in office, and that's even after the amount of illegals in the country jumped late in his term.

PolitiFact | Has Barack Obama deported more people than any other president in U.S. history?

Ah, not for nothing but if you don't buy someone's assertion then why aren't YOU countering that assertion with facts that disprove it? Looking at Templar's graph that shows plunging workforce participation numbers I'd say you've got your work cut out for you to show that the "official" unemployment numbers don't represent the "real" number of people who are out of work and have simply given up looking.

As I said, I'm not saying ShootSpeeders was completely wrong in his assertion. The difference is that the government has at least provided numbers, no matter how manipulated they may be. ShootSpeeders calls them lies with no actual facts to back them up. You know as well as anybody on this board that ShootSpeeders is a hack, if not a troll. He doesn't actually know if he is right or not, because he has never dealt in facts, only baseless rhetoric.

Under Obama poverty is much worse than Bush. Our standing in the world has declined. The number of people on public assistance has exploded. The Federal debt has exploded. Those are the main facts of the OP's story.

Those thing are measurable.

What is not measurable is much worse for Obama. The fact he lied about about almost every facet of Obamacare in order to get it passed has been a huge hit to his credibility, and will be a massive stain on his legacy. The fact he greatly escalated Bush's domestic spying program and then lied to Congress and the American people about it. The fact he made closing Gitmo a major campaign theme and hammered Bush on the issue, and then reneged on his promise.

The "fact check" posted by the OP is garbage (not the op's fault). It is something put together by an Obama apologist that tries to give the appearance of being fair....while largely ignoring the character lapses and failures of Obama that now have a majority American's actively distrusting him.

Most "fact check" things are complete bullshit...as the "fact checker" only looks at those facts they choose to, and then, only through a lens which helps make their political point. Do not be fooled.

I don't understand why you do not take into account the 2007 recession. Yes obviously quality of life is going to be worse under Obama. Shit went bad a year before he came into office. That is not Obama's fault. Since then Obama has created 2.5 more jobs than Bush ever did. You want to put the blame on someone for the increased poverty? Blame the corporations. They have had record profits with stagnant wages. Obama tried to raise the minimum wage. And yeah, because of an increase in poverty, more people are on government assistance. That's just a consequence.

I appreciate your approach to this thread. For the record, the recession of 2007 happened under Bush's watch, obviously, and history will judge him to be responsible. I think that is basically fair, but I will say people like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd covering for Fannie and Freddie, and taking big money from the financial industry were a major part of the problem.

As for Obama's job's record. Keep telling yourself that shit. The jobs created generally suck, and the economy sucks. The real unemployment rate under Obama is over 14%. The cheerleaders who did your "fact check," failed to mention the real total employment rate is the lowest it has been since the Jimmy Carter years. Since 1980. No amount of spin can make Obama's job record look good. Every reasonable person in America knows it sucks.

Last edited:

As I said, I'm not saying ShootSpeeders was completely wrong in his assertion. The difference is that the government has at least provided numbers, no matter how manipulated they may be. ShootSpeeders calls them lies with no actual facts to back them up. You know as well as anybody on this board that ShootSpeeders is a hack, if not a troll. He doesn't actually know if he is right or not, because he has never dealt in facts, only baseless rhetoric.

I'm not making the charge that the "official" unemployment numbers are a lie, Aaron but I will say that anyone using THAT number as proof that the economy is getting better is cherry picking something to make Obama look less bad...while ignoring some others that make him look awful. That workplace participation graph is hard to explain if you're making the contention that the unemployment situation has improved significantly.

This thread is partly inspired by welfarequeen's poll on how USMB members grade Obama's presidency. The large majority of you gave Obama an F which, in my opinion, is completely unfair and is an obvious indication of willful ignorance.

This is a fair and balanced assessment of how the country has faired under Obama. They are based upon numbers only. Subjective criticism such as his character or leadership skills are not in this article. I highlighted in bold what I consider to be important points. Keep in mind that these figures only represent what has happened UNDER Obama. Which means many factors influence them. Not just Obama.

America is still gaining jobs under President Obama, but millions more live in poverty, typical household incomes have not kept pace with inflation, and the federal debt is up nearly 90 percent and on pace to double before he leaves office. Stockholders, meanwhile, are far wealthier than they were the day he was sworn in.
U.S. oil production continues to boom, as do wind and solar power, while dependence on foreign oil keeps dropping. International opinion of the United States has slipped a bit, but generally remains far higher than before he took office, except in the Muslim world, where it has gotten even worse.

These are among the findings in our latest update of “Obama’s Numbers.”

This is another in our series of regular quarterly updates of key statistical indicators of the Obama presidency. It follows our “Obama’s Numbers” article in October, a pre-election update we posted Nov. 5, and quarterly updates posted April 16 and July 19.
The mix of statistics in these reports will vary. This update includes income and poverty figures that are issued annually, for example. We select other figures that are available monthly or quarterly depending on what we judge to be most topical. Our intent is to provide accurate measures of what’s changed — for better or worse — since Obama first took office in January 2009.

– by Brooks Jackson

Obama?s Numbers, October Update

To me the trick is determining how much Obama's policies have influenced these economic numbers. And of course not just him, but Congress as well.

My take on the economy: Things could be better with 7.3% unemployment. However, the economy went into a free fall in 2007. 100,000s of jobs were being lost each month up. The unemployment rate may have gone up under Obama, but there is no denying that Obama has created more jobs than Bush did in his entire 8 years. In other words, a president only has so much control over a nation's economy. In my perspective, the higher unemployment rate has very little to do with Obama's policies. Could he have done more to repair the problem? Maybe, but our do-nothing congress has contributed a great deal to this. Republicans, historically since 2000, have done NOTHING to improve the economy.

More liberal bullshit disguised as being fair and balanced, sorry if you don't like others opinions.

I'm not making the charge that the "official" unemployment numbers are a lie, Aaron but I will say that anyone using THAT number as proof that the economy is getting better is cherry picking something to make Obama look less bad...while ignoring some others that make him look awful. That workplace participation graph is hard to explain if you're making the contention that the unemployment situation has improved significantly.

I think we agree for the most part. The intent of my first post wasn't to defend the government's claims, but to point out ShootSpeeders' lack of evidence for his claims. One of my pet peeves is watching extreme partisans come into an argument with "LIES", while providing no facts of their own to back it up with.

I think we agree for the most part. The intent of my first post wasn't to defend the government's claims, but to point out ShootSpeeders' lack of evidence for his claims. One of my pet peeves is watching extreme partisans come into an argument with "LIES", while providing no facts of their own to back it up with.

So rdean and Franco must tick you off, odd I don't see you challenging them.

Forum List

Back