FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

John DeLorean is rolling over in his grave. If only he had had the government support.

Maybe the Tesla will make a great time machine.

John DeLorean is rolling over in his grave. If only he had had the government support.

Was there any advantage for the nation that DeLorean's car succeed?
That is sort of the point, sporto.

Really? The point is that Tesla's success is a good thing for the US.

DeLorean? Not so much.

How is a car that only 1%ers can afford good for the US?

DeLorean? Not so much.

First of all, Tesla started with a high end car, but are working on cheaper models.

And the 200+ patents that Elon Musk allowed to be used by other companies helps the market grow.

But the main national advantage to the success of Tesla is the eventual decreased dependence on foreign oil. That is a significant plus.

DeLorean? Not so much.

First of all, Tesla started with a high end car, but are working on cheaper models.

And the 200+ patents that Elon Musk allowed to be used by other companies helps the market grow.

But the main national advantage to the success of Tesla is the eventual decreased dependence on foreign oil. That is a significant plus.

The US can produce more oil than it consumes. The only reason we are not exporting oil is because it is illegal under an ancient 1975 law.

The analogy with, for example, the evolution of price for tech items like wide screen displays and computing capacity getting less expensive with time, has merit. But those items are not part of the transportation market or the energy market. I can't ride my plasma TV to the market to get food, or use my iPhone to heat my house in the winter. Those are entertainment items.

DeLorean? Not so much.

The US can produce more oil than it consumes. The only reason we are not exporting oil is because it is illegal under an ancient 1975 law.

The analogy with, for example, the evolution of price for tech items like wide screen displays and computing capacity getting less expensive with time, has merit. But those items are not part of the transportation market or the energy market. I can't ride my plasma TV to the market to get food, or use my iPhone to heat my house in the winter. Those are entertainment items.

I was not talking about any market evolution. I was talking about the model that Tesla will be releasing in 2017.

The Model III should be priced around $35k.

DeLorean? Not so much.

Not sure where you got the idea that we produce more oil than we consume. The oil production has been rising, but the best numbers I have seen for US oil production is between 8.5 and 9.5 million barrels per day.

According to this website :How much oil is consumed in the United States - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration EIA we consume a bit over 19 million barrels per day.

I was a huge proponent of the VOLT thinking Detroit could lead the world in innovation again. And the VOLT is truly a remarkable vehicle, just too expensive for a commuter. GM should have marketed it as a Cadillac. Any Nissan "Leaf" buyers should be aware that when their batteries are depleted they sit where it stopped be that in a ditch in a blizzard or on an LA freeway at rush hour.

I was a huge proponent of the VOLT thinking Detroit could lead the world in innovation again. And the VOLT is truly a remarkable vehicle, just too expensive for a commuter. GM should have marketed it as a Cadillac.

There is a lot to be said for starting out with an upscale vehicle. Those who can afford luxury cars are more likely to try out new technology, simply because they can afford to do so. After the production becomes profitable, you start mass producing cars for the masses.

There is a lot to be said for starting out with an upscale vehicle. Those who can afford luxury cars are more likely to try out new technology, simply because they can afford to do so. After the production becomes profitable, you start mass producing cars for the masses.

Indeed. And by first marketing the VOLT as a Chevy, GM turned away the Cadillac crowd permanently....no prestige. I always wondered when the charging-stations would start appearing; turns out they haven't so nobody is going across country in a hybrid. There will always be a niche market for E vehicles but they'll never be the Volkswagen car of the masses.

DeLorean? Not so much.

Not sure where you got the idea that we produce more oil than we consume. The oil production has been rising, but the best numbers I have seen for US oil production is between 8.5 and 9.5 million barrels per day.

According to this website :How much oil is consumed in the United States - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration EIA we consume a bit over 19 million barrels per day.

My mistake. The US is a net oil exporter, which is a different thing.

DeLorean? Not so much.

I was not talking about any market evolution. I was talking about the model that Tesla will be releasing in 2017.

Promises and wishes. The market today is rich iconoclasts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I might buy one just to show it off to my friends......

Indeed. And by first marketing the VOLT as a Chevy, GM turned away the Cadillac crowd permanently....no prestige. I always wondered when the charging-stations would start appearing; turns out they haven't so nobody is going across country in a hybrid. There will always be a niche market for E vehicles but they'll never be the Volkswagen car of the masses.

It is now possible to drive coast to coast by using Tesla super charging stations. Which, if you buy a Tesla, is free.

DeLorean? Not so much.

Promises and wishes. The market today is rich iconoclasts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I might buy one just to show it off to my friends......

So far they have done what they said they would do. And the technology is there.

It is now possible to drive coast to coast by using Tesla super charging stations. Which, if you buy a Tesla, is free.

But are they near a decent motel and restaurant because the recharge is 8 hours and nobody is going to spend the better part of a day sitting around staring at each other. With the VOLT, you have a gas engine charging the electric-traction motor producing a 400 mile range on dry pavement....the recharge is intended to happen while your sleep.

So far they have done what they said they would do. And the technology is there.
Probably all true.
However, the market still prefers gas-powered cars, for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons; this will remain the case until those legitimate reasons swing in favor of the EV.
Until then, the EV will struggle.

Forum List

Back