🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

Burger flippers are burger flippers because they're too stupid to get a proper job.
However I believe a strike would be an excellent idea, probably gaining likely support from heart disease awareness groups all over the world.
To the 'workers' - If you want more cash, make yourselves worth it.

Some people choose that line of work.

I have a couple that I rent an apartment to. Both are in their mid 20's. Both work at fast food places. Neither of them try to get a better job because they smoke pot. Better paying jobs likely have drug testing so they never try to go anywhere in life.

It's my hope that as they get older and wiser, they will make a choice between pot and a future in life. Bringing us back to topic: if we ever had a huge minimum wage increase here, it's likely this couple would keep smoking pot into their 30s and even 40's because they would be making better money. Then they will end up nowhere in life.

We all need motivation at times, and increasing minimum wage would only take that motivation away from tens of thousands of people.

There will still be a lot of room for moving up with an increase, it's not going to make anyone rich. What we need is to get people off welfare.

I think the idea of across the board minimum wage doesn't hit the right areas needed to deal with income inequality.
I wouldn't go above $12 per hour for fast food or retail. most of these businesses aren't rich and 15 may cause a downside.

On the otherhand, corporations like walmart, intel, boeing and most of the fortune 500 are cheating are tax system and need a good kick in the ass. I think closing loop holes and limiting board & ceo pay is more effective.

Burger flippers are burger flippers because they're too stupid to get a proper job.
However I believe a strike would be an excellent idea, probably gaining likely support from heart disease awareness groups all over the world.

I have a couple that I rent an apartment to. Both are in their mid 20's. Both work at fast food places. Neither of them try to get a better job because they smoke pot. Better paying jobs likely have drug testing so they never try to go anywhere in life.

It's my hope that as they get older and wiser, they will make a choice between pot and a future in life. Bringing us back to topic: if we ever had a huge minimum wage increase here, it's likely this couple would keep smoking pot into their 30s and even 40's because they would be making better money. Then they will end up nowhere in life.

We all need motivation at times, and increasing minimum wage would only take that motivation away from tens of thousands of people.

There will still be a lot of room for moving up with an increase, it's not going to make anyone rich. What we need is to get people off welfare.
And prices will adjust, welfare minimums will change to accommodate new markets and we will be right back here in 5-10 years.

What makes you think that the market does not respond to changing costs? That is just silly. The VALUE of that work remains unchanged. The only thing that changes is the number of pieces of paper that is garnered to the one doing the work. That paper's vale is based entirely on what one can purchase with it.

You see - more paper for the same value. It takes awhile to all flush out in the end (all while you are patting yourself on the back) but it will and solves nothing in the end.

I think the idea of across the board minimum wage doesn't hit the right areas needed to deal with income inequality.
I wouldn't go above $12 per hour for fast food or retail. most of these businesses aren't rich and 15 may cause a downside.

On the otherhand, corporations like walmart, intel, boeing and most of the fortune 500 are cheating are tax system and need a good kick in the ass. I think closing loop holes and limiting board & ceo pay is more effective.
The only thing needing a good kick in the ass is you.
WalMart moved last quarter to raise wages across the board. At the end of the quarter they announved earnings were way down because of that. Then they announced they would be reducing hours.
Yay! Victory. They increased hourly wages but reduced hours. So people are making the same or less. Only in liberal land is this a good outcome.

So you want government to force companies to pay more on one hand, and on the other hand, you want government to lower pay.

Is there anything you don't want government to control in our country?

Get people off of government welfare and put them on company welfare? Because that's all it would be you know: company welfare; giving people stuff that they didn't really earn.

Get people off of government welfare and put them on company welfare? Because that's all it would be you know: company welfare; giving people stuff that they didn't really earn.

Better the company who is using their labor than the tax payer.

And prices will adjust, welfare minimums will change to accommodate new markets and we will be right back here in 5-10 years.

What makes you think that the market does not respond to changing costs? That is just silly. The VALUE of that work remains unchanged. The only thing that changes is the number of pieces of paper that is garnered to the one doing the work. That paper's vale is based entirely on what one can purchase with it.

You see - more paper for the same value. It takes awhile to all flush out in the end (all while you are patting yourself on the back) but it will and solves nothing in the end.

Prices won't increase enough to eat up the entire raise. More people with more money means more sales.

No, better the government quit giving them welfare in the first place. They are the people who promote failure.

No, better the government quit giving them welfare in the first place. They are the people who promote failure.

Then you would need the job creators to make better jobs. Wages are stagnant so there aren't great jobs out there going unfilled.

Then you would need the job creators to make better jobs. Wages are stagnant so there aren't great jobs out there going unfilled.

Plenty of jobs out there, but you have to put some effort into it. Nobody is going to tap you on the shoulder while working at McDonald's and offer you a great job.

Plenty of jobs out there, but you have to put some effort into it. Nobody is going to tap you on the shoulder while working at McDonald's and offer you a great job.

If there were plenty of good jobs looking to be filled wages wouldn't be stagnant. Your statement is false.

Wages are stagnant so there aren't great jobs out there going unfilled.

yes wages are stagnant because liberals invited 20 millions illegals in and because they forced 30 million jobs off shore with their unions and the highest taxes in the world.

Want 50 million new jobs tomorrow and upward pressure on wages? Now you know how to get them!!

See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

If you want to be paid $15 an hour then go learn a skill that merits you being paid $15 an hour. A twelve year old can be trained to flip burgers. If these people were smart enough to realize they are only fighting for themselves to be replaced by automated kiosks they wouldn't be flipping burgers in the first place.

Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

Fast-food workers demanding a $15-an-hour minimum wage walked out in hundreds of cities Tuesday, kicking off a year-long campaign to muster the political power of 64 million low-wage workers in next year's presidential election.

Wow 64 million. We need to get wages up fast. This inequality has slowed our economy.

If those 64 million want their wages up, get their skill level up first.
How?
When they can barely eek out a living, how are they supposed to raise their skill level up?

Excuses, excuses. "It's too hard, I can't do it, someone has to just give me stuff."

There are lots of opportunities to better your position in life already in existence. Many people have already used them. They aren't easy, and they aren't without risk, but they are there.

If there were plenty of good jobs looking to be filled wages wouldn't be stagnant. Your statement is false.

I already provided you a list of why wages are not as high as you like them to be. You on the left seem to think that pay is the only cost of having employees. It's not and never will be. There is a whole laundry list of expenses associated with having employees, and Commie Care certainly didn't help.

So just because there are not ample supplies of "great paying" jobs, that's all the excuse those on the left need to sit home and collect welfare, or otherwise take part-time work and collect welfare. It's a great excuse to not try and get better employment.

But instead of worrying if you can find a better paying job, you worry about everybody being able to find one. Don't worry about them. Worry about yourself. There are plenty of decent paying jobs out there. Six figures? No, sorry. But if you can't find a decent paying job, then chances are it's not because of job availability, it's because you did nothing in your life to make yourself worth more to employers.

You just gave them an excuse to not try and continue to demand something just be handed to them. If they made half as much effort to do better as they did demanding something be given to them, you would be surprised just how much better things would be.

Although you didn't use the exact words, I suspect you consider me one of the lucky ones. To that I say: "I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have." - Coleman Cox
With stagnant wages they are most likely to be underemployed if they get skills. You seem to be living in a different economy.
Your argument is based on an unsupported supposition. "They are most likely to be". Now, here's a concrete reality. If they do NOT gain valuable skills, they WILL continue to remain at MW and represent no greater value to the company that hired them.

With wages stagnant they are most likely to be. That isn't a real good incentive to get more skills and then be underemployed.
Not so. An employee who shows the initiative to gain marketable skills is more valuable to an employer merely by doing so, and will benefit more than the workers who do not.

Then why are wages stagnant?
There are many reasons, as anyone who pays any attention to economic news can tell you. The economy does not continually grow, for example. Sometimes it sputters along, and sometimes it actually contracts. That means less money moving around and less demand for product. Result, stagnant wages or actual layoffs (no wages). Now, if the government has been steadily taking more and more money out of the economy, the downturns are more severe, because there is less money in the first place. You do realize all this, right? The more money government takes out of the economy, the less there is available for companies to give raises, even for deserving employees. The good news for the employees, however, is that when the company is doing better, they will be first in line for better positions and pay. The employees who refused to take steps to make themselves more valuable to the company will be compensated commensurately.

Customers would love it because it would likely mean lower prices. After all, you don't have to pay machines; just keep them maintained and repaired.

What do you plan on doing with the all the Unemployed Americans? Do you seriously believe you won't pay for that?

I don't do anything with them. People bring these problems on themselves. I'm just stating a fact.

If it's one thing you liberals hate, it's the philosophy of Action/Reaction. You see, when somebody takes an action on somebody else, it usually produces a reaction. Liberals only believe in action. They believe that when you do something to somebody else, they will just sit there and take it.

Of course there is no truth to that. We have countless examples, one of them being jobs moving overseas. You keep taxing those job producers, keep supporting unions that overpay workers, keep creating expensive regulation after regulation, and the job creators move the hell out of the state or country.

Oh you'll pay. You'd be much better off keeping them employed and paying em a livable wage. We'll all benefit in the end.
And you're okay with higher prices on everything, and the poor unable to afford things they now can?

Min wage has increased many times. Show that has happened. Link?
Sure, and if we increased it this time to $8.50/hr, it wouldn't happen to an immediate and large extent either. Bump it overnight to $15/hr, and over half the working people will be getting and demanding big raises. Where do you think that money will come from? Rainbow farting unicorns?

What do you plan on doing with the all the Unemployed Americans? Do you seriously believe you won't pay for that?

I don't do anything with them. People bring these problems on themselves. I'm just stating a fact.

If it's one thing you liberals hate, it's the philosophy of Action/Reaction. You see, when somebody takes an action on somebody else, it usually produces a reaction. Liberals only believe in action. They believe that when you do something to somebody else, they will just sit there and take it.

Of course there is no truth to that. We have countless examples, one of them being jobs moving overseas. You keep taxing those job producers, keep supporting unions that overpay workers, keep creating expensive regulation after regulation, and the job creators move the hell out of the state or country.

Oh you'll pay. You'd be much better off keeping them employed and paying em a livable wage. We'll all benefit in the end.
And you're okay with higher prices on everything, and the poor unable to afford things they now can?

Min wage has increased many times. Show that has happened. Link?

There has never been any noticeable negative impact on the economy when the Minimum Wage has been raised. Greedy white Republican dude always cries 'Sky is Falling', but as usual, he's lying.
And if we bumped it this time to $8.50/hr, the sky wouldn't fall either. That's not what you want, though, and what you want would be catastrophic. Some 62% of the workers in this country make less than $20/hr. Raise the MW to $15/hr and every one of them would either get a big raise or demand one when all of a sudden they were making just a little over MW. Where's that money going to come from?

if the government has been steadily taking more and more money out of the economy,[in taxes] the downturns are more severe, .

the low liberal IQ makes this an absolutely impossible concept for them to grasp. All the liberal can grasp is that when the govt taxes and spends, the spending stimulates the economy. That taxing destimulates the economy eludes them completely. Its almost as if when govt spends the dollar in become magically stimulative and when the private sector spends the money it is somehow not magically stimulative.

Which lies?
I explained earlier why wages are stagnant. It is because there are so many more people unwilling to improve their skill set or their education.
There are tons of higher paying jobs that go unfilled because firms cannot find qualified individuals to fill them.
What do you base that on? More people have college degrees than ever.

Silly little liberal arts degrees get you no where...

Then you must have proof they are mostly liberal arts degrees.

You have yet to prove
Which lies?
I explained earlier why wages are stagnant. It is because there are so many more people unwilling to improve their skill set or their education.
There are tons of higher paying jobs that go unfilled because firms cannot find qualified individuals to fill them.
What do you base that on? More people have college degrees than ever.

And the skills required to do many jobs today require more education than 50 years ago. That's why those of us who gained those skills get paid at an exponentially greater level while those still doing things that require the same skills as they did 50 years ago have their wages raised only arithmetically.
Well we have more education, yet wages are stagnant.

Speak for yourself about wages.

Stagnant wages is a fact.
Not in IT or in any area where new technology requires advanced skill sets and experience. They ARE stagnant, for good reason, in areas that don't require highly developed skill sets. Why do you think a skilled plumber can make so much money without a college education? Or an electrician? Or a carpenter? I do believe you are fixated on the reality that a man can no longer work on the same assembly line, doing the same thing for 40 years, be the sole breadwinner of his family, and retire comfortably.

Forum List

Back