🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fast-food workers strike, seeking $15 wage, political muscle

Burger flippers are burger flippers because they're too stupid to get a proper job.
However I believe a strike would be an excellent idea, probably gaining likely support from heart disease awareness groups all over the world.
To the 'workers' - If you want more cash, make yourselves worth it.

Some people choose that line of work.

I have a couple that I rent an apartment to. Both are in their mid 20's. Both work at fast food places. Neither of them try to get a better job because they smoke pot. Better paying jobs likely have drug testing so they never try to go anywhere in life.

It's my hope that as they get older and wiser, they will make a choice between pot and a future in life. Bringing us back to topic: if we ever had a huge minimum wage increase here, it's likely this couple would keep smoking pot into their 30s and even 40's because they would be making better money. Then they will end up nowhere in life.

We all need motivation at times, and increasing minimum wage would only take that motivation away from tens of thousands of people.

There will still be a lot of room for moving up with an increase, it's not going to make anyone rich. What we need is to get people off welfare.
Yer kidding.

People voluntarily take these jobs. They aren't forced to take minimum wage jobs. Honor your commitment.If you want to make more, take a better paying job. Or work to get a promotion.

Or you greedy white Republican dudes could become decent people and pay a fellow American a livable wage. What do ya say??

Let me ask you: do you overpay the people you hire?

When your car needs repair, do you get it repaired at the higher priced garage or the lower priced garage?

When you need your lawn cut, do you hire the company that will cut it at $75.00 per cut or the company that cuts it for $35.00 per cut?

If you need an electrician, do you hire the electrician that charges $75.00 per hour or the one that charges $35.00 per hour?

Well unless you can tell me you overpay all the people you hire, why would you expect employers to do the same.
I pay based on reputation which almost always costs me more.

Okay, but what if you can get the exact same work done for less? Do you still hire the most expensive?

I kept my American Lawn guy for 20 years and he was the most expensive; he retired.
I'm incapable of stabbing reliable people in the back to save $200.00/year.
I have to know the plumber and electrician will show up and complete the job...I pay more.
Cleaning ladies don't steal...I pay more.
I pay to eliminate aggravation.
I'm not rich.
I agree. I will not use cheap labor just because it's cheap; I don't use companies that hire Latinos because I know they are getting paid less than they should. Besides, these business owners that hire cheap immigrant labor are most likely to be those who do not stand behind the quality of their work.

Some people choose that line of work.

I have a couple that I rent an apartment to. Both are in their mid 20's. Both work at fast food places. Neither of them try to get a better job because they smoke pot. Better paying jobs likely have drug testing so they never try to go anywhere in life.

It's my hope that as they get older and wiser, they will make a choice between pot and a future in life. Bringing us back to topic: if we ever had a huge minimum wage increase here, it's likely this couple would keep smoking pot into their 30s and even 40's because they would be making better money. Then they will end up nowhere in life.

We all need motivation at times, and increasing minimum wage would only take that motivation away from tens of thousands of people.

There will still be a lot of room for moving up with an increase, it's not going to make anyone rich. What we need is to get people off welfare.

Get people off of government welfare and put them on company welfare? Because that's all it would be you know: company welfare; giving people stuff that they didn't really earn.

Better the company who is using their labor than the tax payer.

No, better the government quit giving them welfare in the first place. They are the people who promote failure.

Then you would need the job creators to make better jobs. Wages are stagnant so there aren't great jobs out there going unfilled.
You would be incorrect on both points.
Wages are not stagnant. And many jobs which require skilled applicants ARE going unfilled.

People voluntarily take these jobs. They aren't forced to take minimum wage jobs. Honor your commitment.If you want to make more, take a better paying job. Or work to get a promotion.

Or you greedy white Republican dudes could become decent people and pay a fellow American a livable wage. What do ya say??

When your car needs repair, do you get it repaired at the higher priced garage or the lower priced garage?

When you need your lawn cut, do you hire the company that will cut it at $75.00 per cut or the company that cuts it for $35.00 per cut?

If you need an electrician, do you hire the electrician that charges $75.00 per hour or the one that charges $35.00 per hour?

Well unless you can tell me you overpay all the people you hire, why would you expect employers to do the same.

Okay, but what if you can get the exact same work done for less? Do you still hire the most expensive?

I kept my American Lawn guy for 20 years and he was the most expensive; he retired.
I have to know the plumber and electrician will show up and complete the job...I pay more.
I'm not rich.

Well then you're in the minority. Most Americans will do anything to save a buck even if it means less quality.

I ran into another gentleman earlier this week when the subject came up. We were talking about the good ole days and how much different fast food is today. Many people today don't know what a real Big Mac or Whopper tasted like as when they first came out. The years passed and these chains realized that people were more concerned about price than the quality of the food. So they all purchased cheaper and cheaper products to make their famous burgers.

A few years ago I went to my local KFC only to find out that they closed down. So I went to the next closest one in the neighboring suburb and was surprised to find them closed as well. Then I thought for a moment and remember that the KFC near where I work closed down a month or so earlier, but I never paid much attention because I never went there.

It was more than coincidence, so I went to the internet. What I found is that these closings were not a local thing, but a national one. They were closing outlets all over the country. The reason being that people opted for other cheaper chicken places like Popeye's or Church's. KFC was losing money on many of their restaurants.

I won't go to those cheaper chicken places, like you, I would rather pay more money for a better product. But again, I'm in the minority. Everybody else chooses cost over quality.

Typical union thug mentality. When the workers fuck up, the unionite blames management. That train has left the station.

Brain's mindset is that if things go poorly, it's always management and never the workers but if things go well, it's never management but only the workers.

And keyboard courage here never blames the manager, it's the workers fault. Of course the manager did the hiring, training, and set the staffing schedule....

When the manager has idiots to work with, there's only so much he/she can do. You expect someone to do a miracle and make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Who hired the idiots?
The manager who had a lot of work that really needed to get done and couldn't find qualified workers so he had to take what he could get.

And is doing a bad job if he/ she hired idiots. Some fast food restaurants have great service paying the same wages, the difference is good managers.

Get people off of government welfare and put them on company welfare? Because that's all it would be you know: company welfare; giving people stuff that they didn't really earn.

No, better the government quit giving them welfare in the first place. They are the people who promote failure.

Then you would need the job creators to make better jobs. Wages are stagnant so there aren't great jobs out there going unfilled.
You would be incorrect on both points.
Wages are not stagnant. And many jobs which require skilled applicants ARE going unfilled.

Link? I've already posted proof they are stagnant many times.

Labor costs are typically the second-highest cost in the food service industry, after food and beverage costs. Keeping labor costs under control is one of the most important factors of a restaurant's profitability. Fortunately, restaurant owners can control the cost of labor to help increase and improve the profitability of their restaurants.

Food Service Industry: Labor Cost Standards

See quote.
Dude. I was an assistant manager of a sports bar that had 20 plus employees. Part of my job was to analyze costs. Our goal was to keep labor at 30% or lower.
No other expense made up a larger percentage of doing business. Not even close.

As much as your opinion doesn't matter, link?

Yes there are. I have been on the hiring side of IT jobs, and it takes a long time to find the right qualifications in the right person. I've waited months to find the right person. Heck, the position I'm in now was unfilled for nearly a year.

I love how you guys use personal experience as if it means anything in a country of over 300 million. Share a link?

And if we bumped it this time to $8.50/hr, the sky wouldn't fall either. That's not what you want, though, and what you want would be catastrophic. Some 62% of the workers in this country make less than $20/hr. Raise the MW to $15/hr and every one of them would either get a big raise or demand one when all of a sudden they were making just a little over MW. Where's that money going to come from?

McDonalds Workers aren't asking anything of Government. Their fight is with their Employer. It has nothing to do with the Minimum Wage. You have no dog in the fight. It's between them and their Employer.
The OP asked you what the source of the funding for these artificial increases in pay.

'artificial' increases in pay? Funny stuff. No one forces you to eat at McDonalds. If you disagree with paying a fellow American a livable wage, eat at home. Simple as that.
Yes..Artificial. As in violation of the marketplace.
And round we go....You keep insisting that low skill entry level work should be compensated as though it were a career choice. That type of work is referred to as entry level because that is what it is. You insist that wages are 'given'. Wrong . Wages are earned. Higher skill, means higher pay.
So you say no one forces anyone to eat fast food. That is correct. And that also applies to millions of people who would object to the higher prices and either cut back on fast food consumption or eliminate it altogether.
And you of course will attempt to convince others "they will get used to it an just pay up"....You'd be incorrect.
As you were previously told, unless you own a business, you do not have the right to demand business make you feel better.

If you hate the idea of a fellow American making a livable wage, don't eat at McDonalds. Eat somewhere where they treat their workers like shite. Enjoy your spit sandwich.
Genius....it is my belief that anyone willing to work hard and smart enough to the best of their abilities while always seeking to learn and improve their skills and their value to their employer, be able to earn as much as they may.
Note the emphasis on the terms "work" and "earn".....Get it?
And no, busting one's ass at a menial job is not deserving of any consideration here. That does not qualify one for higher pay.
You are stuck in the ancient mindset of the union way. Where "putting in time" at a particular job not matter how simple and mindless is grounds for higher wages. It isn't. And those days are over Workers no longer get paid for "just showing up"....We're in a different world now. Where dare I say.....And here comes the ultimate insult to a member of a labor union.....PRODUCTIVITY....Which now rules the day.

Labor costs are typically the second-highest cost in the food service industry, after food and beverage costs. Keeping labor costs under control is one of the most important factors of a restaurant's profitability. Fortunately, restaurant owners can control the cost of labor to help increase and improve the profitability of their restaurants.

See quote.
Dude. I was an assistant manager of a sports bar that had 20 plus employees. Part of my job was to analyze costs. Our goal was to keep labor at 30% or lower.

Link to what? A just told you how my employers business operated.
Link....Go shit in your hat.
Here ya go ..Ya fuckin moron....Managing the Big Three Bar Cost Centers: Labor, Food and Beverage | Nightclub & Bar
Common Food & Labor Cost Percentages
...Dude don't ever think you can come on here and challenge me to a test of facts. Contrary to you, a knee jerk whiny ass liberal who just types with no aforethought, I do my homework before I render an opinion.....

So get you ass back on the porch where you belong....

Yes there are. I have been on the hiring side of IT jobs, and it takes a long time to find the right qualifications in the right person. I've waited months to find the right person. Heck, the position I'm in now was unfilled for nearly a year.

I love how you guys use personal experience as if it means anything in a country of over 300 million. Share a link?
Now your pat response is "link"....
I see even you now realize you have lost this argument.

See quote.

Here ya go ..Ya fuckin moron....Managing the Big Three Bar Cost Centers: Labor, Food and Beverage | Nightclub & Bar
...Dude don't ever think you can come on here and challenge me to a test of facts. Contrary to you, a knee jerk whiny ass liberal who just types with no aforethought, I do my homework before I render an opinion.....

Your second link agrees with me. Thank you for the support. I also enjoyed laughing at your crazy rant.

Certain fast food restaurants can achieve labor cost as low as 25 percent, while table service restaurants are more likely to see labor in the 30 percent to 35 percent range. Food costs (including beverages) for the restaurant industry run typically from the 25 percent to 38 percent range, depending upon the style of restaurant and the mix of sales.

Now your pat response is "link"....
I see even you now realize you have lost this argument.

No I'm showing your claims are false. Thanks for playing.

I'm not rich.

Well then you're in the minority. Most Americans will do anything to save a buck even if it means less quality.

I ran into another gentleman earlier this week when the subject came up. We were talking about the good ole days and how much different fast food is today. Many people today don't know what a real Big Mac or Whopper tasted like as when they first came out. The years passed and these chains realized that people were more concerned about price than the quality of the food. So they all purchased cheaper and cheaper products to make their famous burgers.

A few years ago I went to my local KFC only to find out that they closed down. So I went to the next closest one in the neighboring suburb and was surprised to find them closed as well. Then I thought for a moment and remember that the KFC near where I work closed down a month or so earlier, but I never paid much attention because I never went there.

It was more than coincidence, so I went to the internet. What I found is that these closings were not a local thing, but a national one. They were closing outlets all over the country. The reason being that people opted for other cheaper chicken places like Popeye's or Church's. KFC was losing money on many of their restaurants.

I won't go to those cheaper chicken places, like you, I would rather pay more money for a better product. But again, I'm in the minority. Everybody else chooses cost over quality.
Price over value was once a regional thing. Mostly in the southeast. I saw a study about 20 odd years ago that at least in the sports apparel( uniforms and the like) business the southeast was the lowest profit margin region in the US. The reason was simple. Price over value.
With the advent of the so called discount retailer and the "outlet" shopping experience, people shop primarily on price. And this has become politically correct. For those who shop higher end retailers looking for value and product quality, they are made fun of. Ridiculed.
Meanwhile the low end spenders are in effect spending more because the products they buy wear out in a much shorter period of time and must be replaced more frequently.
As price over value became more widespread consumer mentality, manufacturers learned they could use lower quality materials or even move their operations to a lower quality( same label) contractor.

See quote.

Your second link agrees with me. Thank you for the support. I also enjoyed laughing at your crazy rant.

Certain fast food restaurants can achieve labor cost as low as 25 percent, while table service restaurants are more likely to see labor in the 30 percent to 35 percent range. Food costs (including beverages) for the restaurant industry run typically from the 25 percent to 38 percent range, depending upon the style of restaurant and the mix of sales.
Try reading the entire article dumbass. And the percentage number is not the point. TYPICALLY...Now pay attention so that you can learn something, you sixth grader....In high end restaurants...Oh why I do this for people is a mystery.....Yes food costs due to the superior quality of the provisions can be a higher portion of operating costs, but TYPICALLY from every level save for fine dining on down to the local gin mill, labor is the highest percentage cost of operating.
And that also applies to most any other industry.
Stop being an idiot.
BTW, how many businesses have you owned or managed?
Just a worker bee?....It figures.
And you are telling ME.......Wow

See quote.

Try reading the entire article dumbass. And the percentage number is not the point. TYPICALLY...Now pay attention so that you can learn something, you sixth grader....In high end restaurants...Oh why I do this for people is a mystery.....Yes food costs due to the superior quality of the provisions can be a higher portion of operating costs, but TYPICALLY from every level save for fine dining on down to the local gin mill, labor is the highest percentage cost of operating.
And that also applies to most any other industry.
Stop being an idiot.
BTW, how many businesses have you owned or managed?
Just a worker bee?....It figures.
And you are telling ME.......Wow

My link and your link both disagree. And since your oppinion means nothing better try another link.

I have managed many and own a business now. Thanks for playing.

See quote.

I'm gonna eat at restaurants that pay their Workers a livable wage. If McDonalds does the right thing and helps its Workers out, i might just give it a shot again. If we all do that, Employers might be encouraged to treat their Workers better.

And besides, you gotta watch those restaurants that treat their Workers like shite. You might end up with a nasty ole phlegmy spit sandwich.

See quote.

I'm gonna eat at restaurants that pay their Workers a livable wage. If McDonalds does the right thing and helps its Workers out, i might just give it a shot again. If we all do that, Employers might be encouraged to treat their Workers better.

And besides, you gotta watch those restaurants that treat their Workers like shite. You might end up with a nasty ole phlegmy spit sandwich.

You couldn't afford it.

You couldn't afford it.

Enjoy your phlegm sandwich, ya cheapskate bastid. ;)

You couldn't afford it.

Enjoy your phlegm sandwich, ya cheapskate bastid. ;)

Yea my first wife told me all about ya poor a$$ black folk who used to leave a $2 dollar tip on a $160 tab

Btw I am not dumb enough to complain about a meal and send it back.

Forum List

Back