🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fast food workers strike

A company does not compensate you based on what you need. They compensate you based on the value of the skill you are providing them.
This is key. I don't believe an upper middle class 16 year old kind on a summer job working at McDonalds deserves any less pay than a single mother of two doing the exact same job, yet clearly her requirements for "living wage" are entirely different.

Pay is for contribution towards earning a profit, not for anything to do with your personal expenses.

Most other countries do not have the same kind of minimum wage that we do. Most other countries have minimum wage by category. Which is what we should have. The lowest categories of unskilled workers pay less than we do for a minimum wage. The highest category of skilled work might start at a minimum wage of $30.00 an hour. This recognizes the need of people entering the work force to gain experience and are willing to work for less money.

We have the worst of all possible worlds. In order to get experience, people have to work free. They enroll in some intern program designed to pad a resume or volunteer at a company to work for free on the chance that they will eventually be hired.

Depending on how high the minimum wage for the lowest unskilled workers gets, it will secure unpaid skilled work for those skilled workers trying to get a foot in the door.

Change the entire minimum wage structure geared LESS to the needs of the workers who made a career choice of manning the drive through window and MORE to the needs of skilled workers able to do something.

If someone wants to make more money, they have to enter into another category where the minimum wage is higher. Paying people more money to be unskilled workers guarantees more unskilled workers like paying people not to work increases the number of poor.

Right now, as it stands, the incentive is to mechanize as much as possible and have no low or unskilled workers.

How can anyone say that a parent working at Macca's made a bad decision? We have many women in their 30's, 40s and 50's who work at McDonalds to supplement their income.
One of my closest friends works day shifts while her kids are in school, then she comes home and her husband goes to work at night.

If it pays the bills and puts the kids through school, then who cares where you work? Its a lot better than sitting on your bum leeching off the taxpayer.

While I agree with you in theory, an individual is oftentimes much better off staying at home and NOT working so they can receive welfare benefits which exceed what they can make working minimum wage. The Cato Institute recently did a study of welfare benefits and found that in 35 of 50 states an individual can receive welfare benefits which exceed minimum wage pay. Does Welfare Pay More Than Working for Minimum Wage in Mass.? - Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40

We have allowed liberals to redefine what poverty is. We have very, very little true poverty in this nation due to an incredibly robust social safety net (ie: welfare).

A company does not compensate you based on what you need. They compensate you based on the value of the skill you are providing them.
This is key. I don't believe an upper middle class 16 year old kind on a summer job working at McDonalds deserves any less pay than a single mother of two doing the exact same job, yet clearly her requirements for "living wage" are entirely different.

Pay is for contribution towards earning a profit, not for anything to do with your personal expenses.

Indeed.

There is no shortage of unemployed black males.

McDonalds is their only hope.....but never mind; raise the minimum wage, and let black males continue to be unemployed.

:cuckoo:

Indeed.

McDonalds is their only hope.....but never mind; raise the minimum wage, and let black males continue to be unemployed.

How culturally insensitive of you! Working at McDonald's (or any other job where you are paid a check, and taxes are withheld) is inconsistent with the "Thug Life" culture! You need to report to Human Resources on Monday morning for sensitivity training.

Indeed.

How culturally insensitive of you! Working at McDonald's (or any other job where you are paid a check, and taxes are withheld) is inconsistent with the "Thug Life" culture! You need to report to Human Resources on Monday morning for sensitivity training.

Agreed.

I also forgot to include unemployed females, who are naturally inclined to be in the kitchen.

Most other countries do not have the same kind of minimum wage that we do. Most other countries have minimum wage by category. Which is what we should have. The lowest categories of unskilled workers pay less than we do for a minimum wage. The highest category of skilled work might start at a minimum wage of $30.00 an hour. This recognizes the need of people entering the work force to gain experience and are willing to work for less money.

We have the worst of all possible worlds. In order to get experience, people have to work free. They enroll in some intern program designed to pad a resume or volunteer at a company to work for free on the chance that they will eventually be hired.

Depending on how high the minimum wage for the lowest unskilled workers gets, it will secure unpaid skilled work for those skilled workers trying to get a foot in the door.

Change the entire minimum wage structure geared LESS to the needs of the workers who made a career choice of manning the drive through window and MORE to the needs of skilled workers able to do something.

If someone wants to make more money, they have to enter into another category where the minimum wage is higher. Paying people more money to be unskilled workers guarantees more unskilled workers like paying people not to work increases the number of poor.

Right now, as it stands, the incentive is to mechanize as much as possible and have no low or unskilled workers.

Why the fuck would a goverment have a pay scale for skilled workers? I know idiots who are book smart at what I do but dont even know how to turn a wrentch, weld, process a mold, program a robot on the fly, trouble shoot automation etc etc... no frickin wisdom, commol sense atalk and no walk.

The next day.
Few food service workers participated in the strike. The picketers were mostly SEIU union thugs blocking access keeping the workers from going to work. That really explains why so few restaurants were affected.

Fast food service workers might be intimidated by the growing popularity of fast casual restaurants. Fast cas has better food and way fewer workers. If prices in the cheap places like McDonalds have to raise prices to pay the unskilled that adds nothing, the restaurant has no impediment to going fast cas with better offerings and get rid of the employees.

They'd just automate their business with a skeleton crew of Indians overseas taking the calls and monitoring the hardware. Fast food won't go away Mr. Clean. They'll just replace humans with machines.

Yes, the cost of living is higher than what it is over there, but we have wages that balance that out.
You pay more for your fast food here, but you have a happy employee who takes home a decent paycheck each week, and that is all that matters to me.

Katz said something about working for free in order to gain experience. That is a good idea in theory, but what is going to stop an employer from working someone into the ground and then dismissing them after a few weeks? Its not a bad idea, per say, but it would be very easy for an employer to exploit people, especially young folk, who are seeking work.

You pay more for your fast food here, but you have a happy employee who takes home a decent paycheck each week, and that is all that matters to me.
Of course it does, since you are the fast food worker getting paid more.

As a consumer of your product I prefer the US system of me paying less and you earning less.

Fast food places were intended for teenagers who wanted a job or a second job for someone who wanted to supplement their income. Besides the manager jobs I mean.. What these YO YOs are not realizing is that most of these chains are franchised and not owned by the corporation. Many only have 1 store and to raise the Min wage would be to much because they would not make any money and would have to close so these people might be picketing their self right out of a job. The SEIU is involved because people are not joining anymore so now they are going after fast food. Why did they not do that prior to their numbers being down. PLUS once they join the union their increase will go to their dues to the unions. They dont think this through!

I support the fast food workers. Now, tell me how awful and what an idiot I am. Thank you. Have a nice day.:eusa_angel:

I support the fast food workers. Now, tell me how awful and what an idiot I am. Thank you. Have a nice day.:eusa_angel:

I don't support them, I'm not much of a fast food eater. I'm not really inclined to eat there for their sake.

Forum List

Back