Federal Disaster Relief is Unconstitutional

I know it sounds harsh but its true. Giving an inch here and there is why our COTUS is basically null.
I do believe, however, relief can be Constitutional by applying equal amounts to all states
Article IV, Section 2 states: "The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states."

Among the powers granted by the Constitution to the federal government are:

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts... (Patents & Copyrights);

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States…;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States…;

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof

In 1822, James MOnroe vetoed a bill that would was to repair and preserve Cumberland Road. He said "Congress’s power to spend was restricted “to purposes of common defence, and of general, national, not local, or state, benefit"

In 1796, Savannah Georgia had a massive fire that damaged the entire city. The fourth congress decided the fed govt didnt have the power to provide relief. They did receive over 40K in donations.

Now look at us. FEMA, ATF, NSA, judicial review, warrantless wiretapping, SS, gun control, no fly lists, political spying, federal school regulations.. Hek, a MAJORITY of what our Fed Govt does is unconstitutional.
I dont do shit about it. You dont do shit about it. Very few even make our voice publically known. All we do is scream at each other anonymously on the internet.
This is our fault.

Don't give Texas shit

Hurricane Harvey And The Potential Hypocrisy Of Texas Republicans
They opposed aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy. Now that it’s their state in need...

Hurricane Harvey And The Potential Hypocrisy Of Texas Republicans | HuffPost

I know it sounds harsh but its true. Giving an inch here and there is why our COTUS is basically null.
I do believe, however, relief can be Constitutional by applying equal amounts to all states
Article IV, Section 2 states: "The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states."

Since the availability of federal disaster aid is effectively a form of insurance, and since all states are covered by it with no specific distinctions state by state to the amounts or eligibility,

it is applied in 'equal amounts'.
So, areas that dont get natural disasters but once every hundred years or so is equal to coastal cities?
We had a bad flood here a few years ago. Where is our 300M dollars?
Where is yours?
Dont give me that crap

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States…;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States…;

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof

In 1822, James MOnroe vetoed a bill that would was to repair and preserve Cumberland Road. He said "Congress’s power to spend was restricted “to purposes of common defence, and of general, national, not local, or state, benefit"

In 1796, Savannah Georgia had a massive fire that damaged the entire city. The fourth congress decided the fed govt didnt have the power to provide relief. They did receive over 40K in donations.

Now look at us. FEMA, ATF, NSA, judicial review, warrantless wiretapping, SS, gun control, no fly lists, political spying, federal school regulations.. Hek, a MAJORITY of what our Fed Govt does is unconstitutional.
I dont do shit about it. You dont do shit about it. Very few even make our voice publically known. All we do is scream at each other anonymously on the internet.
This is our fault.

Don't give Texas shit

They opposed aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy. Now that it’s their state in need...

can you at least try to stay on topic?

This is our fault.

Don't give Texas shit

can you at least try to stay on topic?

At this point, no Texas Republican has declared any sort of condition for their support of an emergency aid package. But when it was New York and New Jersey hit hard by Hurricane Sandy in 2012, all but one Texas Republican in Congress voted against a $50.5 billion package to help people in those states.

I vote no to helping them then. Constitutional or not.

It's easier than that. You pass federal aid legislation and then survive any court challenges to its constitutionality.
Yes, we all know the Court system is a bunch of bullshit.

Are you talking nonsense just to troll, or don't you know any better?
Its not nonsense. I understand they are the top court, but that doesnt make them right.
If you can refute the OP, i wish you would. Saying "supreme court" doesnt do it.

There's nothing to refute. You are expressing an opinion as if you were ON the Court.
So going by actual words and previous cases doesnt deserve refuting? Changing the definitions of words by activists is all that matters!
I guess if a republican majority SC said it was for general welfare to get rid of all gays because of AIDs or something, you would be OK with that?

Previous cases settled long ago that federal disaster relief is constitutional.

Its not nonsense. I understand they are the top court, but that doesnt make them right.
If you can refute the OP, i wish you would. Saying "supreme court" doesnt do it.

There's nothing to refute. You are expressing an opinion as if you were ON the Court.
So going by actual words and previous cases doesnt deserve refuting? Changing the definitions of words by activists is all that matters!
I guess if a republican majority SC said it was for general welfare to get rid of all gays because of AIDs or something, you would be OK with that?

Only when it's Florida right before an election or Texas, or any other red state. Then it's a whole different story.

Since the availability of federal disaster aid is effectively a form of insurance, and since all states are covered by it with no specific distinctions state by state to the amounts or eligibility,

it is applied in 'equal amounts'.
So, areas that dont get natural disasters but once every hundred years or so is equal to coastal cities?
We had a bad flood here a few years ago. Where is our 300M dollars?
Where is yours?
Dont give me that crap

People with fire insurance don't get paid if their house doesn't burn down.

link

link

Since you already said the courts don't mean anything, why do you want a link?

link

Since you already said the courts don't mean anything, why do you want a link?
lol about what i thought.

This is our fault.

To me it has always been about what the constitution explicitly prohibits the various levels of government from doing, more than what it explicitly allows.

There is no restriction on federal aid for disasters, so I would think it would pass muster as long as it was legislated properly.

This is our fault.

To me it has always been about what the constitution explicitly prohibits the various levels of government from doing, more than what it explicitly allows.

There is no restriction on federal aid for disasters, so I would think it would pass muster as long as it was legislated properly.
The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states."
What about that?
The powers are explicit when dealing with tax money as well.

This is our fault.

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states."
What about that?

Money going up is indeed required to be equal from State to State, i.e. no change in rate from State to state. However money going out, if legislated is not so controlled. Plus as long as a relief legislation uses the same criteria from State to State when it is requested, I don't see it as encroaching on the p&I of the citizens of the States.

Constitution loving Texas will not hear any of this heresy!

Everybody knows it's only unconstitutional when disaster happens to someone else.

Is it time for us to bring out Davy Crockett's "Not Yours to Give" speech to Congress where he reminds them that they should never take money from one American and give it away to another? It is not their money to give away.

I will gladly contribute my money to help with the relief. Texans are good people and I am quite willing to help.

However, it is despicable to have the filthy ass government to take my money by force and give it away. All welfare, subsidies, bailouts, entitlements and subsidies are wrong. The government should not ever do any of those things.

Not Yours to Give |

Not Yours to Give

“‘It is not the amount, Colonel, that I complain of; it is the principle. In the first place, the government ought to have in the Treasury no more than enough for its legitimate purposes. But that has nothing to do with the question. The power of collecting and disbursing money at pleasure is the most dangerous power that can be intrusted to man, particularly under our system of collecting revenue by a tariff, which reaches every man in the country, no matter how poor he may be, and the poorer he is the more he pays in proportion to his means. What is worse, it presses upon him without his knowledge where the weight centers, for there is not a man in the United States who can ever guess how much he pays to the government. So you see, that while you are contributing to relieve one, you are drawing it from thousands who are even worse off than he. If you had the right to give anything, the amount was simply a matter of discretion with you, and you had as much right to give $20,000,000 as $20,000. If you have the right to give to one, you have the right to give to all; and, as the Constitution neither defines charity nor stipulates the amount, you are at liberty to give to any and everything which you may believe, or profess to believe, is a charity, and to any amount you may think proper. You will very easily perceive what a wide door this would open for fraud and corruption and favoritism, on the one hand, and for robbing the people on the other. No, Colonel, Congress has no right to give charity. Individual members may give as much of their own money as they please, but they have no right to touch a dollar of the public money for that purpose. If twice as many houses had been burned in this county as in Georgetown , neither you nor any other member of Congress would have thought of appropriating a dollar for our relief. There are about two hundred and forty members of Congress. If they had shown their sympathy for the sufferers by contributing each one week’s pay, it would have made over $13,000. There are plenty of wealthy men in and around Washington who could have given $20,000 without depriving themselves of even a luxury of life. The congressmen chose to keep their own money, which, if reports be true, some of them spend not very creditably; and the people about Washington , no doubt, applauded you for relieving them from the necessity of giving by giving what was not yours to give. The people have delegated to Congress, by the Constitution, the power to do certain things. To do these, it is authorized to collect and pay moneys, and for nothing else. Everything beyond this is usurpation, and a violation of the Constitution.

This is our fault.

What about that?

Money going up is indeed required to be equal from State to State, i.e. no change in rate from State to state. However money going out, if legislated is not so controlled. Plus as long as a relief legislation uses the same criteria from State to State when it is requested, I don't see it as encroaching on the p&I of the citizens of the States.
Thank you for thinking about this instead of raping the general welfare clause like a partisan.
What about the previous actions done by the 4th congress and james monroe?
Do you think they were wrong?
Isnt it unconstitutional to pass a law for just one state?

This is our fault.

What about that?

Thank you for thinking about this instead of raping the general welfare clause like a partisan.
What about the previous actions done by the 4th congress and james monroe?
Do you think they were wrong?
Isnt it unconstitutional to pass a law for just one state?

I think it is within the power of congress to allow or deny aid bills, and in the power of the president to veto or sign it. Nothing in the constitution compels them either way. There is nothing "wrong" with what they did, nor to me is there anything "wrong" with aid bills as we now see them (unless they are pork laden monstrosities)

The constitutionality to me is a question of "are we doing this for one state only, and will never do it again for another under the same conditions".

Saying ONLY texas can EVER get aid bills is unconstitutional, saying only texas gets an aid bill RIGHT NOW because its the only state suffering from a disaster is not unconstitutional.

To me if the constitution is silent, then it devolves to the State legislatures. If Texas made federal aid illegal under their constitution or by law, then the feds would have to stand off.If the State allows federal aid, then to me the constitution is fine with it.

What DOES it mean then?

It's part of THE PREAMBLE you insipid little parrot. The preamble IS NOT LAW!!!

My GOD... how do parasites that stupid live to see puberty? In nature that idiot would have been toyed with and eaten by lion cubs after wandering away from the tribe chasing a butterfly. If it wasn't for child resistant lids on Drano it's dumb ass would have been found dead under a kitchen sink years ago.

Forum List

Back