Federal Judge Halts Release of 3D-Printed Gun Blueprints

its being fought out in the courts . Some dude has directions on how you me and every psycho can use a 3D printer to make your own u traceable firearm!

What are people’s thoughts ? Is this even a 2nd amendment issue ??

Judge blocks release of blueprints for 3D-printed guns

Isn't this a duplicate thread? Whatever people WISH to be, the 3-D gun printing will have to be knocked down and tightly controlled otherwise chaos would ensue and in the end, it would badly hurt the pro-gun position and give just the edge to gun haters they are looking for.
That is irrelevant. You cannot control the flow of information. Not only would that be a gross violation of the first amendment, and if we are willing to write the first off like that then we are already lost, but it is literally impossible in anything short of a dictatorship like North Korea. The plans are already on the internet and they are quite literally being made by people in their own homes. You cannot stop that from getting out and you will never stop them from being used. That is the reality - gun control becomes a moot point when you can print a weapon from a machine in your own home. There is no way to control that.

its being fought out in the courts . Some dude has directions on how you me and every psycho can use a 3D printer to make your own u traceable firearm!

This is so stupid ... you can buy this book 20 year old book on Amazon

images

Or download it free on the web. It contains plans, templates, and instructions for creating an SMG with off the shelf parts and hand tools.
Yup. This is nothing more than fear mongering. With just some basic knowlege, and some tools a person can make bona fide firearms at home. And have been able to do so for over a century. The only people freaking out over this, are people who don't know guns, or are looking to make political hay.

images

Or download it free on the web. It contains plans, templates, and instructions for creating an SMG with off the shelf parts and hand tools.

Yeah but it’s such a pain in the ass to build your own gun.

I've been using 3D printers of years. I've built two printers from scratch. To make a usable firearm with a 3D printer would just as much time and effort as building from scratch. 3D printed machines with interacting parts require a lot of post-processing to work properly.
This is now. I think that we will have to adjust the law over the next decade because I see this changing a lot. Printing tech is moving forward and becoming a lot better. Eventually, there will be a consumer friendly design that can handle most simple requirements.

Of course, making a gun is a lot more demanding considering it has to contain an explosion but I can see it getting a lot easier to manufacture a printed gun in the near future.

The reality here is that this being a good or bad thing is irrelevant though because it is going to happen if printers ever do get there and it is simply not possible to stop.

First Amendment issue, actually.

And of course it’s perfectly appropriate to release the information; or more to the point, government doesn’t have the authority to prohibit its publication under the First Amendment.

images

Yeah but it’s such a pain in the ass to build your own gun.

No it's not, you can buy kits with all the parts, you just need to be able to follow the assembly instructions.

The question should be asked:

How are you going to get the blueprints back in the bag? That ship sailed.
Make possession of a plastic gun illegal

We can expect those who already downloaded them to delete them on good faith?
No...just make the gun illegal

Get caught with one, you go to jail

This is now. I think that we will have to adjust the law over the next decade because I see this changing a lot. Printing tech is moving forward and becoming a lot better. Eventually, there will be a consumer friendly design that can handle most simple requirements.

Of course, making a gun is a lot more demanding considering it has to contain an explosion but I can see it getting a lot easier to manufacture a printed gun in the near future.

The reality here is that this being a good or bad thing is irrelevant though because it is going to happen if printers ever do get there and it is simply not possible to stop.

The CapEx required to purchase a 3D Printer isn't necessary for anyone to have access to the latest and greatest 3D Printing Technology as there are already a plethora of online 3D print services available, just upload the design and specifications and have your printed items shipped to you. This of course will just accelerate the availability and development of the technology going forward since you can build viable business models around it and relatively speaking the capital requirements (even today) are fairly modest.

It's an exercise in futility (and waste of resources) to attempt to prohibit the release of weapon designs given that the information flow is global and the means to utilize those designs to print product is available to anyone almost anywhere on the planet with the means to pay the printing fees.

IMHO It would make more sense to invest in technology to detect the presence of printed weapons than to attempt to prohibit their manufacture.

Plastic guns should be illegal
Metal detectors don’t pick them up

That's a myth.

Any 'plastic gun' will still need brass or nickel shells and lead or steel projectiles. If you don't want it to blow up in your hand, it will need a steel barrel and receiver.

There is no such thing as an 'undetectable gun' with or without 3D printing.
It is a timmy thread. Facts do not matter.

Not a Second Amendment issue...a First Amendment issue.

Lots of restrictions on the 1st amendment. Especially when it comes to safety .

Bullshit. And you mother fuckers need to get it through your heads that free speech doesn't end just because you don't like what is being said.

You know what's dangerous speech? Calling for the government to be violently overthrown. It's dangerous to go around teaching people combat tactics so they can prepare for a glorious revolution. But all of that is protected by the constitution.

The "fire in a crowded theater" exception to free speech is basically a myth. Yes, there are limits. Copyright protections are a limit on free speech. Libel and slander laws are a limit on free speech. Anti-threat laws are a limit on free speech. Because in each case, the "speech" is merely a superficial element. The conduct made illegal by these exceptions isn't speech itself it's theft of property, dishonesty, and violence, respectively.

The first amendment, above all else, protects information, thought, and idea. What is protected is not a specific utterance of an organized sequence of vocal sounds, nor a syntactic construction of lines upon paper. Information, thought, and idea is what the constitution protects. The government may not try to force you to think something, they cannot force you to believe something, they punish you for knowing something, and they cannot punish you for sharing information, thoughts, and ideas that the government may disapprove of.

What you are supporting is nothing short of book burning.

Dude. Name any other right than the 2nd and the cons are actively out to dilute it .

Name one and I’ll give an example .
YOU said the right was authoritarian that means CONTROL over something if we are trying to DILUTE something that means LESS CONTROL....jesus.

Huh? I’m talking about diluting our rights . As in making them less .
What rights? Killing a baby is murder...

It’s a potential baby. Once again proving me right that cons are against our freedoms . Freedom over ones body in this case .
No it IS a baby as soon as it fertilization happens. You can have control over YOUR body but the baby is not YOURS its a human all to its self.
Ok then pull that "human" out as soon as it it fertilized and let it live on its own ;)

The question should be asked:

How are you going to get the blueprints back in the bag? That ship sailed.
Make possession of a plastic gun illegal

Having possession of a firearm with no serial number is already illegal. If it's made of plastic, glass, steel, or uranium.

If the government really wants to do something about plastic guns, the commerce clause gives the government power to prohibit the manufacture of plastic guns. That would many any production, including 3D printing illegal. Of course, that won't make possession illegal. But it will probably be an adequate hindrance as you won't be able to use third party companies or public libraries to produce them.

The serial number is easy to get around. All you have to do is stamp it with "SN: 1" and you have a serial number.

Thanks for admitting you're a psycho but leave me out of your fantasy. The barns already open though, they been using those things to make guns for a while now.

funny how some people just make shit up to get worried about.

5 minutes at home depot i can make a homemade shotgun. do we ban home depot now?

Did you know that the plans for high capacity magazines are already on-line?

I wonder how an all plastic gun barrel could withstand the massive pressure spike when the gunpowder ignites? I think the .223 is around 55,000 psi. Do they got some plastic to contain that or is this just more fake news?

I wonder how an all plastic gun barrel could withstand the massive pressure spike when the gunpowder ignites? I think the .223 is around 55,000 psi. Do they got some plastic to contain that or is this just more fake news?
nothing kills fear like information.

The thermoplastic used for 3d printing is of 2 varieties one softer and pliable that will melt with the heat generated while discharging a round and the other more brittle that will crack with the concussive forces of a round being fired

IOW this whole plastic gun thing is just another attempt to gin up the morons

Last edited:

Forum List

Back