🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Filmmaker Who Targeted ACORN Arrested in Alleged Senate Phone Scheme

Now, don't get me wrong. I think the fact that this guy caught corrupt ACORN employees in action was impressive.

Even though it didn't prove anything that the Republicans had been accusing ACORN of, he did expose a completely separate crime.

However, this latest exploit proves that he did not act to serve the public interest, but is instead a political hack. And a stupid one at that.
What crime did it expose?

Conspiracy to commit tax evasion and fraud.
Ummmm....that's pretty funny, considering the employees on the tape were telling the faux pimp and whore HOW to pay their taxes.

You might want to read up on the case. No one has been charged with a crime because no actual crime was committed.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think the fact that this guy caught corrupt ACORN employees in action was impressive.

Even though it didn't prove anything that the Republicans had been accusing ACORN of, he did expose a completely separate crime.

However, this latest exploit proves that he did not act to serve the public interest, but is instead a political hack. And a stupid one at that.

Eh, I think it shows he is more of a showboat then a political hack.

I think it shows he got a big head from his previous exploit and thought he could get away with something bigger.

I'm still waiting for the FBI to announce the results of their ACORN sting

Still waiting.

And waiting.

Considering we have a Dem POTUS now, I'm sure if the FBI reports that they are as guilty as they look, you'll just say it's an Obama admin conspiracy anyway.

What crime did it expose?

Ummmm....that's pretty funny, considering the employees on the tape were telling the faux pimp and whore HOW to pay their taxes.

You might want to read up on the case. No one has been charged with a crime because no actual crime was committed.

They were telling how to claim child prostitutes as dependents, which is tax fraud, and to hide illegal income as legal income, commonly known as "money laundering".

Both of those things are in fact completely illegal.

Look man, as you know, I'm a big time liberal, but crime is crime. That doesn't mean that the organization is completely corrupt, just that it has some members who should be in jail.

I find comfort that ACORN staffers can assist someone wanting to pimp underage girls (can you say "pedophilia"?) without batting an eye. It's almost like someone putting a cat in a pillow case and smashing it against the wall a few times. Sure, it might technically be a "crime" but dontcha think law enforcement should at least take a second look?

Fox News host Glenn Beck, who gave considerable attention to the ACORN videos on his TV show told his radio audience Wednesday that if the charges against O’Keefe are true, it is “insanely stupid and illegal” behavior. “I haven’t heard his side, but you don’t do anything illegal, that’s Watergate territory,” Beck said. “You don’t do anything to hurt security for the president or for a senator or anybody else. You don’t mess around with it. Ever.”

“They are, of course, presumed innocent until proven guilty,” wrote conservative blogger Michelle Malkin about the accused. “But for now, let it be a lesson to aspiring young conservatives interested in investigative journalism: Know your limits. Know the law. Don’t get carried away. And don’t become what you are targeting.”

Read more: Right wary of defending O'Keefe - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

But lest we not forget who the "victim" is. Can't muster too much sympathy for her.

The "victim" here is not the Senator and ultimately it's not the point anyway.

Also, from the article I posted earlier:

James O'Keefe, Joseph Basel, and Stan Dai each founded or led the alternative conservative newspapers on their respective college campuses.

After graduating, O'Keefe, the filmmaker behind the ACORN stings, actually worked for a year as a recruiter for the Leadership Institute, one of a handful of conservative organizations that provide seed money to students who want to launch alternative newspapers.

Fostering the growth of alternative media on campus -- publications that are more often National Review-style opinion journals than reporting-intensive newspapers -- has been a tactic of the conservative movement for decades. The Collegiate Network, for example, was founded in 1979 and supports over 100 papers per year. CampusReform.org, the campus component of the Leadership Institute, employs 16 staffers.

Our first case is Stan Dai, who served as the editor-in-chief of the GW Patriot at George Washington University. Dai was also a Club 100 Activist of Young America's Foundation, and an Undergraduate Fellow on Terrorism of the Foundation for the Defense of the Democracies, according to a scholarship citation at the conservative Philips Foundation (h/t Lindsay Beyerstein).

<snip>

The GW Patriot, it's worth noting, is the same paper that produced John McCormack, the Weekly Standard scribe with the habit of getting into scuffles at political events.

Both O'Keefe and Basel seem to have gotten their start in the conservative college press with a little bit of help from the Leadership Institute, the group that aims to recruit and train conservative activists.

Wow, so one of them was the son of a Republican Assistant AG, that had been passed over for AG in favor of a Democrat, who was looking for dirt on the new AG and the Senator, before Senate confirmation could occur.

And then the other 3 were political operatives looking for dirt that they could publish in right-wing media outlets to smear a US Senator.

And one of them was already in the process of listening with a remote communications surveillance device, while the others entered the office of a sitting US Senator, under false pretenses, in disguise, in order to gain access to the telephone closet.

Yeah, that's pretty cut-and-dry.

I find comfort that ACORN staffers can assist someone wanting to pimp underage girls (can you say "pedophilia"?) without batting an eye. It's almost like someone putting a cat in a pillow case and smashing it against the wall a few times. Sure, it might technically be a "crime" but dontcha think law enforcement should at least take a second look?

ACORN personnel are not law enforcement, and they are not child services. It is not their job to get involved in this type of case.

While their lack of interest in the situation was morally abhorrent, it is not a crime.

What IS a crime was the tax fraud and money laundering that they were assisting O'Keefe and his assistant with.

And, as I have already stated, I saluted Mr O'Keefe from pointing this out.

That has nothing at all to do with the case at hand, however. What Mr O'Keefe and his friends allegedly did is a federal crime, possibly a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

If Daddy keeps his kid from doing any time I wonder if the right will howl favoritism.

ACORN personnel are not law enforcement, and they are not child services. It is not their job to get involved in this type of case.

While their lack of interest in the situation was morally abhorrent, it is not a crime.

What IS a crime was the tax fraud and money laundering that they were assisting O'Keefe and his assistant with.

And, as I have already stated, I saluted Mr O'Keefe from pointing this out.

That has nothing at all to do with the case at hand, however. What Mr O'Keefe and his friends allegedly did is a federal crime, possibly a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

I'm sorry, I gotta give you Pos rep for it

100% correct

I wouldn't pay much attention to Babble on this one ... she seems to think this moron getting caught in the act of a felony is retaliation for the ACORN bit.

Of course, somebody forced them to commit these crimes. :lol:

James thought he could get away with breaking the law again, but the iron didn't strike twice.

They were telling how to claim child prostitutes as dependents, which is tax fraud, and to hide illegal income as legal income, commonly known as "money laundering".

Look man, as you know, I'm a big time liberal, but crime is crime. That doesn't mean that the organization is completely corrupt, just that it has some members who should be in jail.
Watch the tape. It is doctored. There is no real evidence anyone told those two to claim child prostitutes as dependents. And in fact in that instance the ACORN employee did report the couple to the police.

And no, a prostitute paying her taxes is not money laundering.

Watch the tape. It is doctored. There is no real evidence anyone told those two to claim child prostitutes as dependents. And in fact in that instance the ACORN employee did report the couple to the police.

Can you give me a link to that? I hadn't seen where they did that.

It is if she falsely claims such income as being garnered from a legal activity.

From the wiki:

Money laundering is the process of creating the appearance that large amounts of money obtained from serious crimes, such as drug trafficking, originated from a legitimate source.

Money laundering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is if she falsely claims such income as being garnered from a legal activity.

From the wiki:

Money laundering is the process of creating the appearance that large amounts of money obtained from serious crimes, such as drug trafficking, originated from a legitimate source.

Money laundering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Being a prostitute isn't considered a serious crime in this instance and doesn't involve large amounts of money. On the other hand, a prostitute could be charged with income tax evasion if she didn't pay her taxes.

Here, read the law.

US CODE: Title 18,1956. Laundering of monetary instruments

Forum List

Back