Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

It was an all republican city council that voted the law in. No democrat would vote for people to have to pay a fee.
I am sure glad they didn't have this where I lived when our house caught on fire, especially when that fire was not our fault. My parent's house was saved because the fireman did their job.
We pay property taxes for a reason. And I am glad I live in a country where in most places we can count on the fire department saving our house when it catches on fire.

your point is apt , you paid your property taxes. No matter the vehicle of payment, you paid, he didn't.

How would you feel if your house caught fire and it burned down because the local dept. was busy putting a fire out in someones home who had not paid their taxes, fees etc...?
It didn't say he didn't pay his property taxes, it said he didn't pay a fee. Which was a dumb idea to begin with. And I would worry about it. If the fire department by my house was busy fighting another fire, there is another one three miles away from my house.

What about people who don't have health insurance and have no money to pay their medical costs, should we let them die if say stabbed, because of this?
We do not live in a third world country. We live in America, where we have people like firemen, to help us at our worst moments.

I have also heard the neighbors house caught on fire or at least part of it in this incident. I would be a little pissed if I was the neighbor. Yeah, they put his fire out, but his house didn't even need to catch on fire and wouldn't have if they had put out the original fire.

How would you feel if you had paied your fee.....and and on the other side of the county firefighters were busy putting out a fire for a house that did not pay....and your home burned to the ground because they were busy with a non paying property?

your point is apt , you paid your property taxes. No matter the vehicle of payment, you paid, he didn't.

How would you feel if your house caught fire and it burned down because the local dept. was busy putting a fire out in someones home who had not paid their taxes, fees etc...?
It didn't say he didn't pay his property taxes, it said he didn't pay a fee. Which was a dumb idea to begin with. And I would worry about it. If the fire department by my house was busy fighting another fire, there is another one three miles away from my house.

What about people who don't have health insurance and have no money to pay their medical costs, should we let them die if say stabbed, because of this?
We do not live in a third world country. We live in America, where we have people like firemen, to help us at our worst moments.

I have also heard the neighbors house caught on fire or at least part of it in this incident. I would be a little pissed if I was the neighbor. Yeah, they put his fire out, but his house didn't even need to catch on fire and wouldn't have if they had put out the original fire.

Furthermore, when property taxes cover the fire department (the way it usually is and should be), the fire department doesn't deny services when you're behind on your property taxes. Why would they? Letting someones house burn when you can easily put it out is unconscionable!!

This fire was not in the city where taxes cover fire protection. This fire happened in an area that you pay a fee for the coverage. This homeowner gambled and lost.

Last edited:

Furthermore, when property taxes cover the fire department (the way it usually is and should be), the fire department doesn't deny services when you're behind on your property taxes. Why would they? Letting someones house burn when you can easily put it out is unconscionable!!

Exactly. :clap2:

(the way it usually is and should be)

Wrong. It is only that way in areas with a large enough tax base to sustain it. Many many people live in areas with no Tax based Fire coverage at all.

Should be? so what you want is to force even the smallest townships, and counties to organize, run, and tax for, fire departments they do not have because they can not afford them.

Typical shortsighted nobility.

Wrong. It is only that way in areas with a large enough tax base to sustain it. Many many people live in areas with no Tax based Fire coverage at all.

Should be? so what you want is to force even the smallest townships, and counties to organize, run, and tax for, fire departments they do not have because they can not afford them.

:lol: Typical "shortsighted nobility" to provide basic public services ? As if taxes shouldn't cover it ? What kind of sucker are you ?

:lol: Typical "shortsighted nobility" to provide basic public services ? As if taxes shouldn't cover it ? What kind of sucker are you ?

What kind of Naive person are you. You assume every Country and Township in the country has a tax base sufficient to cover it. How else do you explain the fact the the VAST majority of people in Rural America are covered only by Volunteer fire departments, other than the fact that the simply do not have enough people and tax base to cover it.

You assume wrong.

Wanting everyone to have basic Fire Coverage is Nobel. Not recognizing that the Tax dollars simply are not there in many places makes you shortsighted.

Call me names if you want, it wont change that fact.

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of why subscriptions should never be used for public services like police and fire and emergency medical help.

How would you feel if you had paied your fee.....and and on the other side of the county firefighters were busy putting out a fire for a house that did not pay....and your home burned to the ground because they were busy with a non paying property?

Now you're just being silly.

Well, the good news is this happened with Republican leadership, and now the situation will be fixed. If it were Democrats, they'd just say F U.

This is the state of our nation, what a disgrace. Sad story, expect there's more we aren't hearing. Sad day to be a firefighter down there, I'd quit that crew yesterday.

Have you ever noticed that we cannot collect enough taxes to satisfy the wants of the gimmie gimmie crowd? Just saying.

This fire was not in the city where taxes cover fire protection. This fire happened in an area that you pay a fee for the coverage. This homeowner gambled and lost.

No I realize that, that aspect of it is not in question here. The question is whether they should put out the fire or not under that circumstance. For my intents and purposes, I'm not even questioning that the fire department had the legal right not to put the fire out. I'm questioning whether or not they should have, whether or not it was the right thing to do.

Of all scenarios, I think this behavior was the worst possible. Put it out for god's sake... Send him a $2000 bill, haul his ass to court if he doesn't pay, but don't let the place burn when you can put it out for god's sake....

Not nearly as silly moronic as you.

What kind of Naive person are you. You assume every Country and Township in the country has a tax base sufficient to cover it. How else do you explain the fact the the VAST majority of people in Rural America are covered only by Volunteer fire departments, other than the fact that the simply do not have enough people and tax base to cover it.

You assume wrong.

Wanting everyone to have basic Fire Coverage is Nobel. Not recognizing that the Tax dollars simply are not there in many places makes you shortsighted.

Call me names if you want, it wont change that fact.

That's the second time you've called me naive but you are wrong that the state tax revenues shouldn't cover basic public safety.

We have to help each other, and it is a firefighters and a MANs job to help that citizen. F the government, just do it.

Not nearly as silly moronic as you.

Compelling.

You never answered my latter question. Why are you so filled with hate? Somebody hurt you. Who was it? What did they do?

We have to help each other, and it is a firefighters and a MANs job to help that citizen. F the government, just do it.

I would tend to agree with you if not for the fact that this was not the first time. This asshole's house started to burn once before and they put it out for him, then he paid them, now here we are again. If everyone acted like this gimmie gimmie scam artist there would be no fire department. No sympathy from me. He knew what was at stake, he sure as hell did. He was irresponsible. Too bad he let his family home burn down for lack of a lousy $75 bucks but that's the choice he made.

Forum List

Back