First college football playoff committee releases its first ranking of the season

I don’t know that Trump was the reason it failed. The USFL just wasn’t very good. I mean there are only so many elite level football players and the NFL sucks up all of them.

That wasn't what happened with the USFL. For example, three Heisman trophy winners in a row signed with the USFL and I believe 11 pro football hall of famers played in the USFL during it's short tenure.

Trump was behind the lawsuit that didn't deliver a massive windfall and force a merger.

All of this is well documented.

That wasn't what happened with the USFL. For example, three Heisman trophy winners in a row signed with the USFL and I believe 11 pro football hall of famers played in the USFL during it's short tenure.

Trump was behind the lawsuit that didn't deliver a massive windfall and force a merger.

All of this is well documented.
I watched the USFL. It was bad football. Do I really need to list all the Heisman winners who were shit in the NFL? If it were a good product it would have succeeded. I get that you have some weird compulsion to make everything about Trump but the USFL failed because it was a far inferior product to the NFL.

I know there ended up being an antitrust lawsuit in the third(?) season against the NFL but it was a mess from the jump. Trump wasnt even the guy who started or ran the USFL he just owned one of the teams.

Last edited:
I watched the USFL. It was bad football. Do I really need to list all the Heisman winners who were shit in the NFL? If it were a good product it would have succeeded. I get that you have some weird compulsion to make everything about Trump but the USFL failed because it was a far inferior product to the NFL.

Gee here we go again.

You said, " I mean there are only so many elite level football players and the NFL sucks up all of them.". I pointed out that there were like 11 or so hall of famers in the USFL so the argument you made was pretty silly. Now the argument is that it failed because it was "bad football" which is equally as silly given that 1/2 0f the NFL in any given season is hilariously bad (my Raiders for example, Lions, Jags, Texans--the Redskins, Cowboys, Vikings, Bills, Dolphins for most of this century) not to mention how many college teams have thousands in the stands regardless of their record. They stay around because they have fan loyalty built up over decades and financial income that isn't directly dependent upon the product on the field.

The economics of the league couldn't keep up with their signing big name free agents (See Dough Flutie and Her$chel Walker--signed by the blob) so early before there was a dependable fan base and and advertising. The law suit was Trump's idea and it delivered no financial relief.

Going forward, they have smartly (so far) decided to follow the MLS model of slow and steady growth filling a niche market.

Gee here we go again.

You said, " I mean there are only so many elite level football players and the NFL sucks up all of them.". I pointed out that there were like 11 or so hall of famers in the USFL so the argument you made was pretty silly. Now the argument is that it failed because it was "bad football" which is equally as silly given that 1/2 0f the NFL in any given season is hilariously bad (my Raiders for example, Lions, Jags, Texans--the Redskins, Cowboys, Vikings, Bills, Dolphins for most of this century) not to mention how many college teams have thousands in the stands regardless of their record. They stay around because they have fan loyalty built up over decades and financial income that isn't directly dependent upon the product on the field.

The economics of the league couldn't keep up with their signing big name free agents (See Dough Flutie and Her$chel Walker--signed by the blob) so early before there was a dependable fan base and and advertising. The law suit was Trump's idea and it delivered no financial relief.

Going forward, they have smartly (so far) decided to follow the MLS model of slow and steady growth filling a niche market.
11 guys across the entire league that eventually had hall of fame careers. There are more than 11 QBs currently playing that will likely go to the hall of fame. This is your evidence that the league was good?

Im sure it was Trump all on his own that sunk the league...

11 guys across the entire league that eventually had hall of fame careers.
Your assertion was that the NFL was "sucking up" all of the talented players. That wasn't the case.
There are more than 11 QBs currently playing that will likely go to the hall of fame.
Unlikely.
This is your evidence that the league was good?
Never made that argument. I did make the argument that the league had some talent but was not financially viable.

Is the NFL good? Some teams are, some teams aren't--just like the USFL was. But the franchises are financially viable due to the owners and the league being on the same page. Revenue sharing, salary caps, branding, etc.... There aren't any franchises that are going to fold because of their record and bad attendance.
Im sure it was Trump all on his own that sunk the league...
Pretty much. He had some help but it was primarily him. He had some opposition who wanted slow and steady expansion (I forget the guy's name) but unfortunately he died prematurely..

Your assertion was that the NFL was "sucking up" all of the talented players. That wasn't the case.

Unlikely.

Never made that argument. I did make the argument that the league had some talent but was not financially viable.

Is the NFL good? Some teams are, some teams aren't--just like the USFL was. But the franchises are financially viable due to the owners and the league being on the same page. Revenue sharing, salary caps, branding, etc.... There aren't any franchises that are going to fold because of their record and bad attendance.

Pretty much. He had some help but it was primarily him. He had some opposition who wanted slow and steady expansion (I forget the guy's name) but unfortunately he died prematurely..
Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Mahomes, Wilson, Newton those are basically locks, add in Jackson who unless he gets injured gets in. That's 7 right there. 4 more of the Murray, Prescott, Herbert, Burrow, Ryan, Jones, Wentz, Garoppolo, Lawrence, Allen bunch has to get in for me to be right. I like my chances.

The USFL was a mess, between not putting a good product on the field and it was run poorly by Dixon not Trump which caused it's demise.

11 HOF'ers in your league doesnt make you good. The 70's Steelers had 10 HOF'ers on their team alone for pete's sake.

Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Mahomes, Wilson, Newton those are basically locks, add in Jackson who unless he gets injured gets in. That's 7 right there. 4 more of the Murray, Prescott, Herbert, Burrow, Ryan, Jones, Wentz, Garoppolo, Lawrence, Allen bunch has to get in for me to be right. I like my chances.
Cam Newton? LOL.
The USFL was a mess, between not putting a good product on the field and it was run poorly by Dixon not Trump which caused it's demise.
You should study the subject. You don't know what you're talking about.
11 HOF'ers in your league doesnt make you good. The 70's Steelers had 10 HOF'ers on their team alone for pete's sake.
Again, never made the argument that it was great football. We're done.

Cam Newton? LOL.

You should study the subject. You don't know what you're talking about.

Again, never made the argument that it was great football. We're done.
I have and you're right. It had nothing to do with the inferior play on the field or the myriad of dysfunctional owners who either bowed out by the 3rd season, weren't paying their debt, weren't able to get sufficient stadium leases and even the ones that did couldn't get decent attendance to games. (ABC made the Denver team move its home games so they wouldn't be televising an empty stadium) It wouldn't be because 5 of the 16 teams either disbanded, suspended operations or merged with other teams in the 85-86 season. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that only one franchise was able to break even let alone turn a profit. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that they were only able to get 8 teams to play in the fall in 86. I'm sure none of that shit had anything to do with their demise. I'm sure Donald Trump's presence alone at enough games would have caused their failure. Him owning a team? I'm surprised the league managed to survive 2 years with him at the helm of a franchise. It's amazing that the players didn't all burst into flames on the field and that the earth didn't open up and swallow all the packed stadiums that the USFL had prior to him showing up...

As far as quality of play. Only 9 of the QB's in the league were able to get their passer rating north of 70. Only 6 HB's ran for more than 1000 yds IN AN 18 GAME SEASON!

And yes Cam Newton will go to the HOF. He was a NFL MVP, and almost always in the convo most years, he's the 2nd leading QB rusher of all time, and has more than double the number of rushing TD's of any other QB in the NFL history. He's also top 25 passing yards. He wont be first ballot but he will have a bust in Canton.

Thought I would leave this here as opposed to a new thread. This is absurd. Wake me up when college players, or pros, end up in the hospital from covid.

TAMU FORCED OUT OF GATOR BOWL THANKS TO RIDICULOUS COVID RULE​

Texas A&M is unable to play in the upcoming Gator Bowl against Wake Forest on Dec. 31 due to a COVID outbreak.

Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger reports that the Aggies do not have enough players to play in the game. Gator is now searching for a replacement bowl team but would need another bowl game impacted by COVID to successfully find a replacement team.

Thought I would leave this here as opposed to a new thread. This is absurd. Wake me up when college players, or pros, end up in the hospital from covid.

TAMU FORCED OUT OF GATOR BOWL THANKS TO RIDICULOUS COVID RULE​

Texas A&M is unable to play in the upcoming Gator Bowl against Wake Forest on Dec. 31 due to a COVID outbreak.

Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger reports that the Aggies do not have enough players to play in the game. Gator is now searching for a replacement bowl team but would need another bowl game impacted by COVID to successfully find a replacement team.
It doesnt say how many players have COVID or when then contracted it. That game is on the 31st, which is 10 days from yesterday. When did all these players test positive because if it isnt today......

I have and you're right.
Thanks. It was obvious for anyone who has studied it.
It had nothing to do with the inferior play on the field or the myriad of dysfunctional owners who either bowed out by the 3rd season, weren't paying their debt, weren't able to get sufficient stadium leases and even the ones that did couldn't get decent attendance to games. (ABC made the Denver team move its home games so they wouldn't be televising an empty stadium) It wouldn't be because 5 of the 16 teams either disbanded, suspended operations or merged with other teams in the 85-86 season. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that only one franchise was able to break even let alone turn a profit. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that they were only able to get 8 teams to play in the fall in 86. I'm sure none of that shit had anything to do with their demise. I'm sure Donald Trump's presence alone at enough games would have caused their failure. Him owning a team? I'm surprised the league managed to survive 2 years with him at the helm of a franchise. It's amazing that the players didn't all burst into flames on the field and that the earth didn't open up and swallow all the packed stadiums that the USFL had prior to him showing up...
This is the fun thing about debating Trump supporters...they get this cartoonish indignation going and it's laughable to watch them post jibberish like you did above.

When you have a league, the behavior of other owners in that league affect the league as a whole. Smart leagues that are built to last do not allow owners to play by their own rules.

What Trump did was spend a boatload of money and stock his backfield with two heisman trophy winners; Doug Flutie and Herschel Walker.

"Donald Trump, who had been interested in the franchise from the beginning, bought the team from J. Walter Duncan and Chuck Fairbanks at the conclusion of the 1983 season and immediately opened his wallet to pro football's top talent. He hired popular former Jets coach (doesn't that sound weird) Walt Michaels and lured former NFL MVP quarterback Brian Sipe away from the Browns. He also built the team defensively by signing all-pro defensive back Gary Barbaro and linebackers Willie Harper, Bobby Leopold and Jim LeClair. Besides signing talent, Trump also busied himself with the task of convincing his fellow owners of the need to move to a fall schedule and head-to-head competition with the NFL.

As expected, the Generals were vastly improved in 1984. They recorded a 14-4 mark and handed the Philadelphia Stars their only two losses of the year. Walker finished with 1,339 yards rushing and 16 scores. Sipe threw for 2,540 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, not spectacular but a vast improvement for New Jersey. But the Generals' biggest improvements were on defense where they moved to third in the USFL. Unfortunately, New Jersey was completely dismantled by the Philadelphia Stars, 28-7, in the first round of the playoffs.

Doug Flutie
Again Trump flashed his cash and this time landed Heisman-winning quarterback Doug Flutie fot the 1985 season. Although most observers felt that Flutie needed time to develop, Trump traded Sipe to Jacksonville, ensuring Flutie would start. Despite a slow start and a broken collarbone, Flutie threw for 2,109 yards with 13 TDs and 14 picks and scrambled for 465 yards and six touchdowns, a decent first season considering the pressure he was under. Walker, however, was the star of the show. He set a new professional football record with 2,411 yards rushing and added 21 scores on the ground. Once again, though, New Jersey ran into the buzzsaw Stars in the playoffs and fell, 20-17."

What those signings did was force others to sign hot rookies and NFL players as well. The TV and attendance could not support the spending....and the actions of one owner jeopardize the entire league.

An observer would note that the MLS learned from the USFL's mistakes and has in place restrictions on how much a team can spend on talent acquisition which prevents a scenario like above.

As far as quality of play. Only 9 of the QB's in the league were able to get their passer rating north of 70. Only 6 HB's ran for more than 1000 yds IN AN 18 GAME SEASON!

Another fun thing about Trump supporters...they are either exceptionally dumb or recognize early on that they have to completely mis-represent the arguments being made in an exchange. I'm not sure which tactic you're employing here but, once again, I never made the argument.
And yes Cam Newton will go to the HOF. He was a NFL MVP, and almost always in the convo most years, he's the 2nd leading QB rusher of all time, and has more than double the number of rushing TD's of any other QB in the NFL history. He's also top 25 passing yards. He wont be first ballot but he will have a bust in Canton.

Maybe win a super bowl.

Oh wait, Scam hasn't even made it to a super bowl. The list of non-super-bowl attending QBs in the HOF? Moon, Fouts and Jurgensen. He's like 10,000 yards behind Fouts and like 18,000 yards behind Moon. He may make it in--Lynn Swann is in the HOF. But he's not an HOF QB.

Thanks. It was obvious for anyone who has studied it.

This is the fun thing about debating Trump supporters...they get this cartoonish indignation going and it's laughable to watch them post jibberish like you did above.

When you have a league, the behavior of other owners in that league affect the league as a whole. Smart leagues that are built to last do not allow owners to play by their own rules.

What Trump did was spend a boatload of money and stock his backfield with two heisman trophy winners; Doug Flutie and Herschel Walker.

"Donald Trump, who had been interested in the franchise from the beginning, bought the team from J. Walter Duncan and Chuck Fairbanks at the conclusion of the 1983 season and immediately opened his wallet to pro football's top talent. He hired popular former Jets coach (doesn't that sound weird) Walt Michaels and lured former NFL MVP quarterback Brian Sipe away from the Browns. He also built the team defensively by signing all-pro defensive back Gary Barbaro and linebackers Willie Harper, Bobby Leopold and Jim LeClair. Besides signing talent, Trump also busied himself with the task of convincing his fellow owners of the need to move to a fall schedule and head-to-head competition with the NFL.

As expected, the Generals were vastly improved in 1984. They recorded a 14-4 mark and handed the Philadelphia Stars their only two losses of the year. Walker finished with 1,339 yards rushing and 16 scores. Sipe threw for 2,540 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, not spectacular but a vast improvement for New Jersey. But the Generals' biggest improvements were on defense where they moved to third in the USFL. Unfortunately, New Jersey was completely dismantled by the Philadelphia Stars, 28-7, in the first round of the playoffs.

Doug Flutie
Again Trump flashed his cash and this time landed Heisman-winning quarterback Doug Flutie fot the 1985 season. Although most observers felt that Flutie needed time to develop, Trump traded Sipe to Jacksonville, ensuring Flutie would start. Despite a slow start and a broken collarbone, Flutie threw for 2,109 yards with 13 TDs and 14 picks and scrambled for 465 yards and six touchdowns, a decent first season considering the pressure he was under. Walker, however, was the star of the show. He set a new professional football record with 2,411 yards rushing and added 21 scores on the ground. Once again, though, New Jersey ran into the buzzsaw Stars in the playoffs and fell, 20-17."

What those signings did was force others to sign hot rookies and NFL players as well. The TV and attendance could not support the spending....and the actions of one owner jeopardize the entire league.

An observer would note that the MLS learned from the USFL's mistakes and has in place restrictions on how much a team can spend on talent acquisition which prevents a scenario like above.

Another fun thing about Trump supporters...they are either exceptionally dumb or recognize early on that they have to completely mis-represent the arguments being made in an exchange. I'm not sure which tactic you're employing here but, once again, I never made the argument.

Maybe win a super bowl.

Oh wait, Scam hasn't even made it to a super bowl. The list of non-super-bowl attending QBs in the HOF? Moon, Fouts and Jurgensen. He's like 10,000 yards behind Fouts and like 18,000 yards behind Moon. He may make it in--Lynn Swann is in the HOF. But he's not an HOF QB.
This is where you've gone off the rails. I'm not a big Trump guy. I could take him or leave him. I think he was a decent President from a policy standpoint but he's awful as a person. Donald Trump didn't own the league or all the franchises, did he? You're the one blaming the failure of the entire USFL on one guy. I never said Trump didn't have anything to do with their failure. I'm sure he did either by action or inaction. But it wasn't a flourishing business that went to shit because he showed up and took over operations. And he wasnt THE reason the league failed. The USFL failed because it was trying to compete with a superior product ie the NFL. People werent watching. Most teams couldnt fill a quarter of the seats in the stadiums. Franchises were losing money (and not just because they signed big name contracts) Owners were either shutting down, merging or just abandoning their teams.

What's funny is watching you try and blame Trump for all the ills of the world because you didn't like him as a President. Did he fuck your sister or something?

Cam Newton didnt play in the SB against the Broncos in 2015? Huh, I must have imagined that.

Last edited:
My predictions for the first round of the playoffs:

Alabama 34 Cincinnati 27

Michigan 31 Georgia 24

And the final round of the playoffs:

Alabama 42 Michigan 24

My predictions for the first round of the playoffs:

Alabama 34 Cincinnati 27

Michigan 31 Georgia 24

And the final round of the playoffs:

Alabama 42 Michigan 24
I still think that cements Harbaugh as a great coach. To reach the finals?

And if he won it all, forget about it. Move over Bo shembeckler

Forum List

Back