Florida: how flooded can a car be before it is totaled? Seeking input.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The folks got storm surged and their truck that won't fit in the garage was flooded until the engine was mostly under salt water, the exhaust filled with water and the interior was also soaked.

But...there is no water in the oil.

I think it's totaled.

Anyone have any experience with this?

The folks got storm surged and their truck that won't fit in the garage was flooded until the engine was mostly under salt water, the exhaust filled with water and the interior was also soaked.

I think it's totaled.

depends on what youre talking about,,
if youre talking about insurance purposes it would depend a lot on the yr of the car annd the criteria the ins co uses,,,,

if its a personal issue it doesnt sound that bad

I figure that salt water is going to eat up the wiring and connection over time and give them all kinds of problems in the future.

They are in their late 80s and have to have something reliable.

I figure that salt water is going to eat up the wiring and connection over time and give them all kinds of problems in the future.

They are in their late 80s and have to have something reliable.
a good cleaning should take care of the worst of it beings it wasnt submerged,,

in their case either way tthey should look for something new,,

as for being totaled that would depend on the ins co,,

If the water in the interior was high enough to get under the dash board.
All the electrical components will eventually start to corrode; especially it was flooded by salt water.
The car is called a "Flood Car" and insurance companies will declare it totaled.
When the car is sold at auction for parts it will have Flood Car on the title and be uninsurable.
...............................................................................................................................

I think it's totaled.

The insurance company will definitely total it.

You could always see if they'll let you buy it back for cheap and fix it up, but it'll have a salvage title.

All the electrical components will eventually start to corrode; especially it was flooded by salt water.
The car is called a "Flood Car" and insurance companies will declare it totaled.
When the car is sold at auction for parts it will have Flood Car on the title and be uninsurable.
...............................................................................................................................

Even without being in a flood, a great many cars that come out of Florida and get bought and sold and shipped off to some other state for resale are corroded by the environment down there.

And it's usually all hidden. Have to give those Florida cars a really good once over.

After the last Texas flood, insurance companies totaled them when the water reached the dashboard.

During my life I've known 2 people who tried driving through high water and sucked water into the engine's intake.
It locked the engine up and the car was declared a total by the insurance company.
....................................................................................................................

If it were me, I'd get it to your place (if you are rural and don't have to deal with neighbors complaining to some HOA about a half-way tore down car sitting out there) and part it out, Missourian.

Obviously any electrical components are trash, and those can't be sold, though harnesses can be rebuilt and connectors replaced, but you'll make a heck of a lot more on it that way than what the insurance company is gonna give you for it.

What kind of truck is it?

Depending on what it is, it might just make more sense to take the insurance check and buy something else, too.

Last time I had a private carrier pick up and ship a car to me from Forida, I think it cost me a thousand bucks for a 1,200 mile haul.

Last edited:

The water gets into every electrical contact and when the water evaporates, it leaves behind salt deposits which can interfere in the conduction of electricity even between gold contacts.

when a car is submerged all of the engine oil and gasoline leaks out and gets into the carpet and upholstery
so, the whole interior is destroyed
also the flood water might contain sewage water
the car is unsavable

If a flooded vehicle is still in tact, and the water hasn't reached the internal workings of the engine, it can be salvaged, if its done within a couple of days. The longer it sits, the worse the damage can turn out.

If it hasn't reached the oil, perfect.
Would be best to change the oil before it started up anyway.

You also want to make sure theres no water in the air intake ports/vents/filters.
If there is, get it sucked out and dried. Replace filters.

Once thats been done, start the engine. If it starts and runs ok, let it heat up for about 10 minutes, but don't drive it.

Once the engine has cooled off, then that means all the relevant parts of the engine have been dried out.

Now you have to see if any water got into your brake fluid, trans fluid, and engine coolant.
If they are clean, then fine. If not, then change them out.

As for the interior, that needs to be sucked dry with a wetdry vac ASAP. As best as you can get it.
Once thats been done, it needs to dry out completely.

When the interior is dried completely, then you can check the electronics, wires, cables, etc.
Clean everything with alcohol or an anti fungal cleaning solution. Alchol is cheaper as you can get it at the dollar store, but be warned, it can damage some interior finishes.

Once that has been done, you can go back and have the carpet and seats steam cleaned with liquid Lysol or some other high end, bacteria cleaning agent. This goes for the trunk as well, if you have one.

Also check the trunk for water puddles, as some vehicles have wheel wells under the trunk floor mat where the spare tire is.
You want to make sure that is completely dry as well.

The doors should be kept open while the drying is happening, as there should be drain holes in the bottom of the doors, so keeping them open will let the water drain.

Once your vehicle is dry and clean again, then you should be able to use it as normal again.

Forum List

Back