Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

It happens all the time. Minds change. Opinions change. Are you opposed to trying to make things better?
I have tried. Here in MA. It doesn't work. The Democratic Party machine is too powerful and in my view voters are too stupid. I have given up.

Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status​

Does Disney pay for the highway upkeep, cops, firefighters, etc in their "Zone"?

Who takes over paying for all that now that Disney no longer has self-governing power?
If Orange and Osceola Counties take over then Disney Groomers, Inc then they will milk the cost out of them and add on a bunch.

Some of the local Florida sources are saying it will cost Disney Groomers, Inc anywhere from $200-$400 million a year. They will have to jack up the cost of tickets another $100 each, won't they? A set of cheap China made Mickey Mouse ears will cost a stupid tourist $85.

Are you in favor of companies being their own governmental entity? I'm not.
No. The special treatment should have never been initiated. And if Florida were cancelling all such special privilege, I'd be cheering for them. That would be a decisive win for equal protection of the law.

But they're not. They're targeting political opponents. Rank hypocrisy.
Disney fucked around and bit the hand that fed them.
Yes. We should lay prostrate before our glorious leaders (and refrain from any criticism). Lest they won't feed us.

Disney has promised to try to thwart them with their extensive money and muscle - per their CEO.
How?

Regardless, I still think it's opening a door which will never get closed. God help us if a Democrat controlled Florida decides to do something similar to a company which espouses conservative values. There would be absolutely no valid argument against is...

Hmmmm.

First, I am in complete agreement with the legislation which keeps teachers from talking to young kids about sexual identity issues. That shouldn't happen.

I don't know how comfortable I am with the State punishing Disney for their opposition to that legislation, though. Unless there's something in Disney's current agreements with the State which would allow them to ignore that legislation (and I don't think there is), I just don't see the reason to punish them.

I'll admit to not being fully versed on this issue so, if I'm missing something, please tell me. But I just think it's wrong to punish someone simply because they have a different opinion...
Why does Disney feel they have the Right to LEGALLY oppose the Legislation? It’s NOT just “ their opinion “

Why does Disney feel they have the Right to LEGALLY oppose the Legislation? It’s NOT just “ their opinion “

Um, why would anyone feel they couldn't legally oppose legislation? They have the absolute right to oppose it. That's not what's being questioned...

Why is this important, guys? Apart from bickering over arbitrary facts, why does it matter whether they are elected officials or not?
Because elections have consequences. You cannot be a voter in Chicago complaining about high crime rates when your elected mayor is inept. Elect a different person or move. I did not like the politics in my town so I moved. Easy.

Because elections have consequences.
Wow - don't get me started on that. The worst thing Obama did was to utter that phrase. That quote, or rather the attitude it represents, is one our biggest dysfunctions as a nation.
You cannot be a voter in Chicago complaining about high crime rates when your elected mayor is inept. Elect a different person or move. I did not like the politics in my town so I moved. Easy.
If a state or local government is violating Constitutionally protected rights, votes are irrelevant.

No. The special treatment should have never been initiated. And if Florida were cancelling all such special privilege, I'd be cheering for them. That would be a decisive win for equal protection of the law.

But they're not. They're targeting political opponents. Rank hypocrisy.

Yes. We should lay prostrate before our glorious leaders (and refrain from any criticism). Lest they won't feed us.
Disney Groomers, Inc are not anybody's political opponents. The filthy ass tourist lobby (which Disney Groomers, Inc are the largest players) buys politicians of both parties.

Um, why would anyone feel they couldn't legally oppose legislation? They have the absolute right to oppose it. That's not what's being questioned...
Disney would have to show they have standing to legally challenge the law. The don’t

Disney Groomers, Inc are not anybody's political opponents. The filthy ass tourist lobby (which Disney Groomers, Inc are the largest players) buys politicians of both parties.
Then charge them with the crimes they are commiting and put them in jail.

Or weasel around playing petty political games to score points in the "culture war".

Wow - don't get me started on that. The worst thing Obama did was to utter that phrase. That quote, or rather the attitude it represents, is one our biggest dysfunctions as a nation.

If a state or local government is violating Constitutionally protected rights, votes are irrelevant.
But that line has become blurry with COVID and such. At least it seems that way to me.

Disney would have to show they have standing to legally challenge the law. The don’t

What?

Lawsuits are brought every day, by regular old folks like you and me, for a myriad of reasons.

Why do you believe they don't have a standing to legally challenge the law? As a Florida resident, I can challenge it. Why shouldn't Disney be able to?

Forum List

Back