Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

What the Florida Senate did by voting to end Disney’s tax privilege sends a clear message that DeSantis will not be manipulated by corporations or their lobbyists. In Washington DC, that is a dangerous power to wield

Very good.

Hey, don't piss off the parents. That's like the third rail of politics, touch that and it's game over.

What the Florida Senate did by voting to end Disney’s tax privilege sends a clear message that DeSantis will not be manipulated by corporations or their lobbyists. In Washington DC, that is a dangerous power to wield

When an entire corporation is involved in grooming on a large scale it is time to pull the rug out from under them.

The Florida State Legislature had to remind Disney who was in charge of Florida.
They didn't seem to get the message the other way.

Businesses need to pay higher taxes. We all need higher taxes since we are spending a hell of a lot of money for stupid crap we don't need.
???

I don't understand this logic.

We're buying stuff we don't need, so we should pay more taxes?

Care to elaborate?

Just wait until the Orange County code inspectors start inspecting of all that crap on the Disney property.

Back in the 1980s I was an Environmental Engineering Manager working for an aerospace company in Orlando.

Through my contacts I knew that Disney didn't do much to adhere to the EPA and FDEP's environmental regulations.

They didn't have an Environmental compliance program. They didn't adhere to CWA, CAA, RCRA, NPDES or even the Safe Water Drinking Act.

They got a surprise inspection from FDEP. These had literally scores and scores of violations. They got a tremendous fine and was told to get their house in order or else.

I suspect that they have cut a lot of corners on regulatory and code things over the years. The last thing they will want is County and State scrutiny. They had a sweet deal going with that Reed Creek enclave and now it looks like it will be gone. Good!

1650482361595.png

The Florida State Legislature had to remind Disney who was in charge of Florida.
They didn't seem to get the message the other way.

I predict this will end up costing Florida far more than Disney.

Florida benefited greatly financially by the arrangement with very little actual effort from the state or the counties. They got massive amounts of tax dollars and did not have to spend any money on the 25,000 acers other than an occasional police presence. Now that all changes (or next June I guess) and there is no way the counties involved will be ready for the undertaking.

That is the whole point of this, cannot allow them to speak out, they must remain silent and compliant.
I think it's more a case of, Disney stepped on the parents and the parents said ouch.

Let me ask, where do you think this came from? Do you think DeSantis is just feeding red meat to his base?

Because, this is not just DeSantis, it's the entire Florida legislature. And... where do you think THEY got it from?

The Woke Joke means that you have been asleep. What they have to say made more sense when they were asleep and not talking.

It is shame too, I would like nothing more than to see them close their doors and see where Florida makes up the lost tax dollars from?
There would be a lot of people losing their jobs and homes.
I don't think I could wish that on them, no matter if they are democrats or republicans.
It goes way beyond the loss of tax dollars.

???

I don't understand this logic.

We're buying stuff we don't need, so we should pay more taxes?

Care to elaborate?
We have spent ourselves into oblivion, neither party cares about the deficit and it is going to bite us in the near future. We need to stop spending money and raise taxes to get us back to a little fiscal sanity.

Do you think DeSantis is just feeding red meat to his base?

Because, this is not just DeSantis, it's the entire Florida legislature. And... where do you think THEY got it from?

From DeSantis. This is his idea, he pushed the special session to make it happen.

On the flip side $471mm in operating income for all the parks and hotels. Too much of a cost increase and Disney could indeed shut it down and use the write off to eliminate taxes for their real divisions for the next 10 years. They have done it before.

Unlikely. I imagine this all quietly goes away in six months.

It is shame too, I would like nothing more than to see them close their doors and see where Florida makes up the lost tax dollars from?
They won't shut anything down, they are making billions and will not go into the hole, they will just raise prices to cover any added expense. The expense to shut down and move would be in the billions and the return would not be that great.

They should not have bitten they hand that fed them.

Forum List

Back