Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

There would be a lot of people losing their jobs and homes.
I don't think I could wish that on them, no matter if they are democrats or republicans.
It goes way beyond the loss of tax dollars.

I would not wish that on anyone either, but this is a punishment by the government against an entity for daring to offer dissent. The state is willing to harm itself to punish them for having a differing opinion.

This is a terrible precedent to set.

But I am sure it will be successful, it will silence possible dissent in the future.

Is that what you want?

They won't shut anything down, they are making billions and will not go into the hole, they will just raise prices to cover any added expense. The expense to shut down and move would be in the billions and the return would not be that great.

They should not have bitten they hand that fed them.

They were not being fed. Everyone acts like this only benefit Disney, but that is not the case. The state of Florida got billions in revenue with very little expense or effort on their part. Now that all changes, all because some company had the gall to disagree with the Gov of the state.

I would not wish that on anyone either, but this is a punishment by the government against an entity for daring to offer dissent. The state is willing to harm itself to punish them for having a differing opinion.

This is a terrible precedent to set.

But I am sure it will be successful, it will silence possible dissent in the future.

Is that what you want?
All Disney had to do was remain silent, which with a little wisdom, they would have. IMO
They cater to the young, after they placed themselves in the position that they did, they
should have expected a backlash. they got it. Next time perhaps they should choose
their battle more wisely.

On the flip side $471mm in operating income for all the parks and hotels. Too much of a cost increase and Disney could indeed shut it down and use the write off to eliminate taxes for their real divisions for the next 10 years. They have done it before.

Unlikely. I imagine this all quietly goes away in six months.
The more I think about the more I wonder if they announce they are looking "at all options" related to the park.

They were not being fed. Everyone acts like this only benefit Disney, but that is not the case. The state of Florida got billions in revenue with very little expense or effort on their part. Now that all changes, all because some company had the gall to disagree with the Gov of the state.
Let's see how it plays out, the city, county and state can now charge them for services and they can pay full in taxes and I am sure Florida will be fine. If you don't like it, move, otherwise it isn't anyone's business. Boeing left Washington because of unfriendly laws toward Boeing. Disney, if they wish can do the same, however Disney would find it tough to make Disneyworld work anywhere else.

Another authoritarian fighting the "culture wars" via government mandates. Where's the fun in government if you can't use it to shove your values down someone else's throat?
I take it you're a leftie? :p

All Disney had to do was remain silent, which with a little wisdom, they would have. IMO

Yep, all people have to do is keep silent and you will not risk the wrath of the government.

Is that really the type of country you wish to live in?

Because it is not a country I want to live in, it is not what this country was built upon.

Let's see how it plays out, the city, county and state can now charge them for services and they can pay full in taxes and I am sure Florida will be fine. If you don't like it, move, otherwise it isn't anyone's business. Boeing left Washington because of unfriendly laws toward Boeing. Disney, if they wish can do the same, however Disney would find it tough to make Disneyworld work anywhere else.

Florida knows they will not leave. it is one thing to move a factory, another to move what is on 25,000 acres.

And yes, Florida will be fine and Disney will be fine, but neither will be as fine as they were before the state choose to punish dissent. Disney will pay more in taxes but have less expense since the state will be doing much of what they had been doing. The question is will the state be doing it as efficiently as Disney for the same money? The chances of that are zero

Yep, all people have to do is keep silent and you will not risk the wrath of the government.

Because it is not a country I want to live in, it is not what this country was built upon.
THIS ^^^ is funny.

This kind of stuff, is why we say lefties have no brains.

Here's reality:

ALL speech has consequences. Whether it's directed at the government or anywhere else.

The minute you open your mouth, you're asking for someone to yap back.

You're entirely free to voice your opinion, no one's stopping you.

But that doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

THIS ^^^ is funny.

Here's reality:

ALL speech has consequences. Whether it's directed at the government or anywhere else.

Yes, all speech has consequences.

Yet the government is not supposed to punish you for speech they do not like. We have a constitution that says that is not supposed to happen.

Would you support the Fed Govt punishing a company for speaking out against a law they do not like? If Congress were to punish American Airlines for saying the mask mandate should end, would you be on board with that? Would you give it your unwavering approval like you have the state of Florida?

Not talking about "people", I'm talking about a corporation.
A corporation that caters to the young, specifically.
Which leads to me say earlier that "Actions has consequences."
Disney said what they did, parents said what they did, and DeSantis
acted as he did.

THIS ^^^ is funny.

Here's reality:

I need to add the irony of being called a lefty because I do not think the government should punish speech is about a record level.

acted as he did.

What did the corporation say? Can you link to the official statement from the corporation

Or was it people in the corporation that said things?

If United came out today and said that mask mandates are wrong, would you be as ok with the Fed Govt punishing them as you are with the actions of Florida?

acted as he did.
Citizens United. Corporations are people.

I do not think it can be shown the government will come out ahead. They may well end up losing money in the long run with the added cost they will now incur. All because Desantis got his feelings hurt.
You think government will EVER go without?
:laughing0301:

They have a license to steal and all the guns/force imaginable to carry it out.

What did the corporation say? Can you link to the official statement from the corporation

Or was it people in the corporation that said things?

If United came out today and said that mask mandates are wrong, would you be as ok with the Fed Govt punishing them as you are with the actions of Florida?
I don't do, "if's". Too vague
Were those individuals speaking on behalf of Disney? If so, they are an extension of the Disney Corporation

Forum List

Back