🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Florida voters will be able to restore voting rights to over a million former felons in November

Voting is a fundamental right. One that should never be taken away. Let Felons vote while incarcerated in all 50 states, not just Maine and Vermont.

I disagree. Freedom of movement and not being in jail is a fundamental right as well. When you get convicted under due process and incarcerated, you lose those rights as well as others.

Think about letting a prison full of inmates vote in a local county or town election and you will understand the problem with letting them vote.

I agree. No way anyone should be voting while serving their sentence.

Voting is a fundamental right. One that should never be taken away. Let Felons vote while incarcerated in all 50 states, not just Maine and Vermont.

I disagree. Freedom of movement and not being in jail is a fundamental right as well. When you get convicted under due process and incarcerated, you lose those rights as well as others.

Think about letting a prison full of inmates vote in a local county or town election and you will understand the problem with letting them vote.

Well, in Maine for example you vote in the precinct where you last established residency.

EDIT: Same for Vermont so, you need to come up with another reason.

Florida voters will be able to restore voting rights to over a million former felons in November

A 2016 study found that if Floridians with felony convictions were allowed to register to vote, nearly 60,000 additional ballots would have been cast.

the Democrats have two hopes for election wins...murderers, rapists and thieves (felons)...and foreigners sneaking into the country to outvote Americans with amnesty.

There is nothing else I need to say to point out the moral degeneracy of this party.

View attachment 173855
Moronic.

Even if passed, it would exclude murderers and rapists; and non-citizen foreigners are not allowed to vote.

Well, in Maine for example you vote in the precinct where you last established residency.

That's just one reason. The simple reason if the franchise to vote is like any other right and can be taken away via due process.

If you can't follow the law, you shouldn't have a part in selecting who creates it or executes it, at least when you are serving your sentence.

That's just one reason. The simple reason if the franchise to vote is like any other right and can be taken away via due process.

If you can't follow the law, you shouldn't have a part in selecting who creates it or executes it, at least when you are serving your sentence.

Personally I'm mixed on whether a convict should be able to vote while in prison, honestly I don't really care one way or another. However I do believe they should be able to vote once they have cleared parole.

I do not know how anyone that values freedom or personal rights can disagree with this...

The Voting Restoration Amendment, which the state is expected to certify soon, would automatically restore rights to citizens convicted of felonies who have completed their prison sentence, parole, and probation. Only those convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses would be excluded.

People that have served their time should be given all their rights back.
No, They have no credibility

Personally I'm mixed on whether a convict should be able to vote while in prison, honestly I don't really care one way or another. However I do believe they should be able to vote once they have cleared parole.

I can live with that as long as the State's people want it that way.

Democrats would murder and eviscerate their children to bring about their liberal utopia. Felons are ideal role models.

And yet, when incarcerated, you don't lose the fundamental right to marry. Voting should be like that.

Why is it a problem if they vote in local elections?

And yet, when incarcerated, you don't lose the fundamental right to marry. Voting should be like that.

Like any other right, the franchise has it's restrictions, including age. Again with due process you can remove or restrict several rights.

And the issue would be 5000 inmates voting as a bloc to elect people to run a county or town of 3000 free people.

Would you want to live in a municipality where you are outnumbered by the inmates of a prison and they have voting rights.

Like any other right, the franchise has it's restrictions, including age. Again with due process you can remove or restrict several rights.

And the issue would be 5000 inmates voting as a bloc to elect people to run a county or town of 3000 free people.

Would you want to live in a municipality where you are outnumbered by the inmates of a prison and they have voting rights.
That raises an interesting dynamic. Though I imagine a more practical solution would be the suspension of said rights while incarcerated. With rights being restored after serving the sentence.

Having personally received over 1000 signatures for this, I’m going to LOVE restoring rights to Floridians who have done their time.

That raises an interesting dynamic. Though I imagine a more practical solution would be the suspension of said rights while incarcerated. With rights being restored after serving the sentence.

that's what happens in most States. In a few though the loss of franchise is permanent, unless you appeal to the governor for clemency after you serve your time.

that's what happens in most States. In a few though the loss of franchise is permanent, unless you appeal to the governor for clemency after you serve your time.
Seems to me restoration should be automatic. If they can’t be restored to full citizens; don’t let them out.

It would be easy enough to restrict Federal inmates with no other residential address to Federal Elections. Many states do it for overseas voters. Others, like California also allow overseas voters to vote in local elections.

Voting is one of our most basic civil rights, just like marriage. I simply feel that prison should not be a barrier to the exercise of such a basic fundamental right.

It would be easy enough to restrict Federal inmates with no other residential address to Federal Elections. Many states do it for overseas voters. Others, like California also allow overseas voters to vote in local elections.

Voting is one of our most basic civil rights, just like marriage. I simply feel that prison should not be a barrier to the exercise of such a basic fundamental right.

You commit a crime bad enough to be incarcerated, you should not be entrusted with voting. If we can restrict your freedom of movement, which to me is a far greater right then voting, then removing the franchise from prisoners, paroles, and probationers isn't that much of a stretch.

You commit a crime bad enough to be incarcerated, you should not be entrusted with voting. If we can restrict your freedom of movement, which to me is a far greater right then voting, then removing the franchise from prisoners, paroles, and probationers isn't that much of a stretch.

And I disagree. Too many low level drug crimes are considered Felonies. Our justice system is too far tilted against minorities and the poor and we are disenfranchising thousands upon thousands of people.

I'd be willing to compromise on a no violent crimes provision.

And I disagree. Too many low level drug crimes are considered Felonies. Our justice system is too far tilted against minorities and the poor and we are disenfranchising thousands upon thousands of people.

Sorry, but you do the crime you pay the time. A person who can't be trusted to follow the law cannot be trusted to vote.

I agree with this sentiment. For no other reason than each state having the ability to declare what crimes constitute a felony. For example Massachusetts has just declared possession of bump stocks to be a felony. The only state to do so. If a person runs afoul of this law; they are forbidden from voting, or possessing firearms nation wide, for no other reason than running afoul of a local law with a heavy penalty. The same act wouldn’t even be a crime here in Alabama. Our justice system has a lot of problems. This example being only one, of many.

Last edited:
I do not know how anyone that values freedom or personal rights can disagree with this...

The Voting Restoration Amendment, which the state is expected to certify soon, would automatically restore rights to citizens convicted of felonies who have completed their prison sentence, parole, and probation. Only those convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses would be excluded.

People that have served their time should be given all their rights back.

Yup.

Forum List

Back