Florida's Don't Feel Bad Law.

“An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race,” the bill states.

So, not little Jonnie is taught that slavery was a real thing, he goes home and tells mommy and daddy and BOOM school is now sued for teaching about slavery, and will not be allowed to do so any longer.

Little Suzi learns about what we did to native Americans as we expanded westward, she goes home and tells mommy and daddy and BOOM school is now sued for teaching about what we did and will not be allowed to do so any more.

The question is whether the modern honky schoolchildren of today are responsible for slavery and should be sorry for it.

Not whether slavery was a "real thing"

No, I cannot. Nor do I need to. Even if no educator or school is currently teaching this, the law is useful in ensuring that none of them get the ridiculous idea to start doing so. An ounce of prevention…, as they say.
Translation: I am making laws for feelz, just like liberals. That's not how conservatives are supposed to legislate.

“An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race,” the bill states.

So, not little Jonnie is taught that slavery was a real thing, he goes home and tells mommy and daddy and BOOM school is now sued for teaching about slavery, and will not be allowed to do so any longer.

Little Suzi learns about what we did to native Americans as we expanded westward, she goes home and tells mommy and daddy and BOOM school is now sued for teaching about what we did and will not be allowed to do so any more.
So how old is Little Johnnie and Little Suzi?
There is age appropriate curriculum for the young right?
I'm mean, if there isn't, why not teach Little Johnnie and Little Suzi trigonometry?

Is it not in the text of the law? "Made to feel" is not the same as "student felt bad".

If I explicitly tell students "White people did this and it was terrible and you should feel bad"--students were MADE to feel bad.

If I present it as I always have--factually--students feel how they feel. But were not MADE to feel that way.

I'd have to look at the actual bill because the OP seems quite biased. Not many laws are written with such ambiguity as it would be impossible to enforce because of opinion. The fact of the matter is nobody is in control of how another person feels over history.

So how old is Little Johnnie and Little Suzi?
There is age appropriate curriculum for the young right?
I'm mean, if there isn't, why not teach Little Johnnie and Little Suzi trigonometry?

History is not appropriate 3rd graders but trigonometry is?

I think that history is a vital part of any education.

Gimmy a break. Unlike the way you think, I can tell you right now that if my great or great, great grandfather was a serial killer, I would spend a single minute feeling bad about his actions. Slavery was not my doing and in that respect, I am very proud of my country for ending it. Africa should do the same.

:eusa_doh:

But should history lessons be designed to tell some of the students that they are part of a demon race and they are at fault for everything that is wrong in the world?

Of course not. Nor should they be designed to whitewash (forgive the pun) the atrocities that took place.

The "white race" didn't enslave anyone. Some individuals who have long since attained room temperature had slaves and some of them happened to be honkies.

It has nothing to do with little white children of today

So they should not be taught that slavery was a thing in our country for 100's of years, even preceding its founding?

Of course not. Nor should they be designed to whitewash (forgive the pun) the atrocities that took place.

It doesn't.

The bill authorizes discussion and curricula, in an age-appropriate manner, regarding topics such as sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination. However, the bill specifies that instruction and curricula may not be used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view inconsistent with the principles of individual freedom or state academic standards.

It doesn't.

The bill authorizes discussion and curricula, in an age-appropriate manner, regarding topics such as sexism, slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination. However, the bill specifies that instruction and curricula may not be used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view inconsistent with the principles of individual freedom or state academic standards.

An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race,” the bill states.

Forum List

Back