🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Food industry braces for Obama trans fat ban

You could be right, but that is no reason why we should allow people to feed poison to the population in the mean time. Government's job at minimum is to protect the citizens from harm, both external and internal.

Along with freedom comes choices and personal responsibility. Trans fats are not poisons... unless you're ingesting a shitload of them daily.
You are admitting that trans fat has at least a potential to be a poison. Unfortunately, millions of people ingested large amounts of trans fats in the past and it killed them after causing heart disease and strokes. As you know, the affect is cumulative. It may take many years for the poisonous effect to cause death, but the length of time a poison takes to cause harm is not an issue as to whether it is a poison or not. I agree that along with freedom comes choices, but not informing the consumer of an ingredient in a product does not offer freedom. Freedom would only be present if the producer informs the consumer of what is in the product.

So do a lot of things.... but you said they were a poison. Too much water can be poisonous as can too much oxygen, too much aspirin, too much caffeine, etc. Shit, we were told to lay off the butter and stick to Oleo, now we know that butter is far les harmful.

Look, I'm not advocating shitty eating, but I do tire of these "do-gooders" always wanting a new regulation over what I can or cannot eat.
It's just enough already. If you're gonna down Arby's, McDonalds and Popeye's on a daily basis, your health will suffer.

All of the things you mention have a use, a beneficial use or purpose of nutritional or medical purposes. and can be used safely if used properly. Man made trans fat has no medical or nutritional beneficial purpose. It only has a negative affect on medical or nutritional terms. Because it is a agent that stays in the body and attaches itself to the walls of blood vessels, it is cumulative. A little bit at a time eventually adds up to a lot. You can drink a tiny bit, perhaps a very small fraction of a drop of anti freeze and it will not kill you or even make you sick. It will however cause calcium oxolate crystals to develop in your organs and eventually kill you.
The regulations objected to in this thread are not regulations that prevent people from eating any product they want to eat. They are regulations against not labeling to inform people of what they are eating or regulations to make producers prove that an ingredient being added is not unhealthy when scientific research has shown that the ingredient is in fact harmful. Research has proven anti freeze added to food is harmful. If you want to add it to your food product, you have to prove that it is not.

Labelling, no problem... I actually agree with that. People should have all the info they can at hand when it comes to certain tings. But stupid shit like you can't buy large Cokes just pisses me off. And I don't drink soft drinks.
No argument from me on that one.

You could be right, but that is no reason why we should allow people to feed poison to the population in the mean time. Government's job at minimum is to protect the citizens from harm, both external and internal.

Along with freedom comes choices and personal responsibility. Trans fats are not poisons... unless you're ingesting a shitload of them daily.
You are admitting that trans fat has at least a potential to be a poison. Unfortunately, millions of people ingested large amounts of trans fats in the past and it killed them after causing heart disease and strokes. As you know, the affect is cumulative. It may take many years for the poisonous effect to cause death, but the length of time a poison takes to cause harm is not an issue as to whether it is a poison or not. I agree that along with freedom comes choices, but not informing the consumer of an ingredient in a product does not offer freedom. Freedom would only be present if the producer informs the consumer of what is in the product.

So do a lot of things.... but you said they were a poison. Too much water can be poisonous as can too much oxygen, too much aspirin, too much caffeine, etc. Shit, we were told to lay off the butter and stick to Oleo, now we know that butter is far les harmful.

Look, I'm not advocating shitty eating, but I do tire of these "do-gooders" always wanting a new regulation over what I can or cannot eat.
It's just enough already. If you're gonna down Arby's, McDonalds and Popeye's on a daily basis, your health will suffer.

All of the things you mention have a use, a beneficial use or purpose of nutritional or medical purposes. and can be used safely if used properly. Man made trans fat has no medical or nutritional beneficial purpose. It only has a negative affect on medical or nutritional terms. Because it is a agent that stays in the body and attaches itself to the walls of blood vessels, it is cumulative. A little bit at a time eventually adds up to a lot. You can drink a tiny bit, perhaps a very small fraction of a drop of anti freeze and it will not kill you or even make you sick. It will however cause calcium oxolate crystals to develop in your organs and eventually kill you.
The regulations objected to in this thread are not regulations that prevent people from eating any product they want to eat. They are regulations against not labeling to inform people of what they are eating or regulations to make producers prove that an ingredient being added is not unhealthy when scientific research has shown that the ingredient is in fact harmful. Research has proven anti freeze added to food is harmful. If you want to add it to your food product, you have to prove that it is not.

Despite this concern, the NAS dietary recommendations have not recommended the elimination of trans fat from the diet. This is because trans fat is naturally present in many animal foods in trace quantities, and therefore its removal from ordinary diets might introduce undesirable side effects and nutritional imbalances if proper nutritional planning is not undertaken.

See hew the far left wants to "ban" something when the science disagrees with a "ban"..
You don't seem to see the difference between natural trans fat and man made trans fat. The body is able to handle natural fats such as small amounts of trans fat. Food producers use a process to force polyunsaturated fats to bond with hydrogen atoms that do not exist in nature. It stabilizes the trans fat and makes it difficult to breakdown and destabilize. The human body is unable to efficiently destabilize the creation and hence it's benefit of stabilizing food stuffs becomes a negative for human consumption. Fried foods taste better with this kind of fat because the heat process does not completely break up the chemical consistency. Taste good going in, but the body is unable to get rid of it unless it is binding to some other agents. Much of it just stays in the body and is absorbed into the blood vessels over time.

Last edited:

Despite this concern, the NAS dietary recommendations have not recommended the elimination of trans fat from the diet. This is because trans fat is naturally present in many animal foods in trace quantities, and therefore its removal from ordinary diets might introduce undesirable side effects and nutritional imbalances if proper nutritional planning is not undertaken.

See hew the far left wants to "ban" something when the science disagrees with a "ban"..
You don't seem to see the difference between natural trans fat and man made trans fat. The body is able to handle natural fats such as small amounts of trans fat. Food producers use a process to force polyunsaturated fats to bond with hydrogen atoms that does not exist in nature. It stabilizes the trans fat and makes it difficult to breakdown and destabilize. The human body is unable to efficiently destabilize the creation and hence it's benefit of stabilizing food stuffs becomes a negative for human consumption. Fried foods taste better with this kind of fat because the heat process does not completely break up the chemical consistency. Taste good going in, but the body is unable to get rid of it unless it is binding to some other agents. Much of it just stays in the body and is absorbed into the blood vessels over time.

Anything that does not exist in Nature, that should be a great big red flag waving that it's gotta be AT THE VERY LEAST checked out.

And yet our naysayers here don't want that to happen.
That's just bizarre. :cuckoo:

Anything that does not exist in Nature, that should be a great big red flag waving that it's gotta be AT THE VERY LEAST checked out.

So to be consistent you want to outlaw all processed foods?

Once again -- (fourth time? Fifth?) -- where did anybody "outlaw" anything?

And how do you justify injecting artificial shit in foods that DOES NOT have to be proven harmless?

I just heard they want to move in that direction this morning. Even dictators take a little time. Who that cares about their diet sources hasn't heard of transfats? It's like the GMO thing, whip people up to a frenzy while GMO foods are feeding a lot of people. And we've been modifying foods for a generation or more. Longer if you consider early corn, bananas,and such.

I just heard they want to move in that direction this morning. Even dictators take a little time. Who that cares about their diet sources hasn't heard of transfats? It's like the GMO thing, whip people up to a frenzy while GMO foods are feeding a lot of people. And we've been modifying foods for a generation or more. Longer if you consider early corn, bananas,and such.

I agree about the GMO concerns. That's pretty outrageous (and telling) that they resist the labeling of GMOs.

But that doesn't answer the questions above.

Processed foods may or may not require questionable ingredients. You can not lump them all together. All foods should at the very least list their ingredients and all ingredients should be scrutinized for safety.

I agree about the GMO concerns. That's pretty outrageous (and telling) that they resist the labeling of GMOs.

I did answer. They are working on it. The FDA wants to outlaw transfats. And unless you're buying at the farmers market you're probably getting GMOs. It makes more sense for the private sector to label nonGMOs.

Processed foods may or may not require questionable ingredients. You can not lump them all together. All foods should at the very least list their ingredients and all ingredients should be scrutinized for safety.
You're moving the goal posts, first it was anything unnatural. If you're buying frozen dinners and cupcakes you should expect transfats. If a company figured out a way to not have them they can advertise it. Why do you need government to meddle with everything?

Labeling g GMOS would only be a plus for both the consumer and the company producing the food. Why enable them not to have to label?

Yet heart disease is the number one killer in this country. You are an extremist of the worst kind. The FDA is going to remove a poison from food that you can't taste, and won't miss, but your ideology is more important than the lives of your fellow countrymen and women. You are mentally ill and need help.

You sound pretty extreme yourself. You're gonna die of something. Big Brother can't change that. So stop being an Authoritarian. Once you do stop, you'll feel liberated.

Ironic to cry the blues about "Authoritarianism", when you can't get your knee pads on fast enough any time a corporation says boo, doncha think, fascist sycophant?

One day Americans will beg Big Brother for just a little food, water, and electricity. They'll thank him and praise him for the tiny scraps he'll throw to them. That is where we're heading. Bet on that.

I apologize. Think I must have been confused. Sorry.
Two dumbshits in a pod.
aww whats the matter rabbi?....get bested yet again?.....are you going to tell us to fuck off?....
Bested? I kicked your ass all over thsi thread. Remind me again how transfats are like polonium and people keel over and die just from eating them once.
sure you did....you proved your side with all those posted links backing your shit up....and where did i even imply this?.... Remind me again how transfats are like polonium and people keel over and die just from eating them once.....this is the second time you said i said this....maybe this time,unlike the last,you can prove i said this....how about it?.....going to man up?....
Yawn. Go away.
so you post stuff someone did say and dont have the honesty to say sorry.....come back after your one ball drops chump.......

I did answer. They are working on it. The FDA wants to outlaw transfats. And unless you're buying at the farmers market you're probably getting GMOs. It makes more sense for the private sector to label nonGMOs.

No you didn't "something I heard this morning" doesn't cut the mustard. Speculation fallacy is as worthless as those Chicken Little threads about how "da eebil gubmint gone censor the internets". Bottom line, nothing either in this article, nor the thread/article two years ago, says anything about "outlawing" anything.

I've got my own sources of GMO-free, regardless of labels. Anything with a Trader Joe's name on it for one. Organics for another. Even the tomatoes I'm growing, I made sure to query the grower who germinated them about the source.

Labeling g GMOS would only be a plus for both the consumer and the company producing the food. Why enable them not to have to label?
Why not have warning labels on hamburgers. Like the cancer warnings with cigarettes. Has it ever stopped anyone? Libs put a lot of stock in pictures, cartoons, labels, etc. Most foods are genetically modified one way or another, we are supposed to cover our fruit and veggies with labels now?

No you didn't "something I heard this morning" doesn't cut the mustard. And nothing either in this article, nor the thread/article two years ago, says anything about "outlawing" anything.

I've got my own sources of GMO-free, regardless of labels. Anything with a Trader Joe's name on it for one. Organics for another. Even the tomatoes I'm growing, I made sure to query the grower who germinated them about the source.
So you know my ears better than me? LOL. I even looked it up dude (dudette?).

So you can survive without labels, golly. It's almost as if the marketplace played a role. Not that I trust them anyway. Not all of Trader Joes foods are good for you but they let people make grown up decisions.

You're moving the goal posts, first it was anything unnatural. If you're buying frozen dinners and cupcakes you should expect transfats. If a company figured out a way to not have them they can advertise it. Why do you need government to meddle with everything?

A government agency doing the job that We the People mandated it to do -- watching out for the public safety to at least a minimal degree -- cannot be construed as "meddling". But here's why we have it:

freddie-astbury-thalidomide.jpg

That guy's in Wales --- not here. Thalidomide was sold and used there -- but not here. It was sold and used all over the world --- but not here.

Why not?

Because the FDA did its goddam job like we set it up to do, and put up a stop sign, that's why.

But noooo, you'd have babies condemned to a life with 2-inch arms so you can have your Randbot wet dream.

Fuck that.

No, you are moving the goal post. You were the one that brought processed foods into the discussion, didn't you? I simply mentioned that artificial trans fat was not natural while I gave a quick explanation of how it was created and what it did to be dangerous and harmful. I pointed out that natural trans fat did occur, but I pointed out we were not discussing natural trans fat.

Food labeling costs no extra or very very little. I would have ALOT more respect for the scummy food companies if they did label every last little thing. As a consumer I reserved the right to know what I am buying. Again there is no argument that is logical against labeling food. It quite simply is not possible.

Labelling, no problem... I actually agree with that. People should have all the info they can at hand when it comes to certain tings. But stupid shit like you can't buy large Cokes just pisses me off. And I don't drink soft drinks.

do you trust companies to put labels on something that may be a concern on their own?......for instance....back when they discovered what trans fats do....if a major food company would have found that and only they knew.....would they have said something,or wait until it was found out by others,and then jump in the flow?......

Forum List

Back