🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Food industry braces for Obama trans fat ban

Labeling g GMOS would only be a plus for both the consumer and the company producing the food. Why enable them not to have to label?

Fear of GMO's is based on ignorance - nothing more.

Trans-fat will kill you - GMO's include things like Nectarines and Roses that people have been using for centuries. Grafting roots or grafting genes, it's all a GMO.

Along with freedom comes choices and personal responsibility. Trans fats are not poisons... unless you're ingesting a shitload of them daily.
You are admitting that trans fat has at least a potential to be a poison. Unfortunately, millions of people ingested large amounts of trans fats in the past and it killed them after causing heart disease and strokes. As you know, the affect is cumulative. It may take many years for the poisonous effect to cause death, but the length of time a poison takes to cause harm is not an issue as to whether it is a poison or not. I agree that along with freedom comes choices, but not informing the consumer of an ingredient in a product does not offer freedom. Freedom would only be present if the producer informs the consumer of what is in the product.

So do a lot of things.... but you said they were a poison. Too much water can be poisonous as can too much oxygen, too much aspirin, too much caffeine, etc. Shit, we were told to lay off the butter and stick to Oleo, now we know that butter is far les harmful.

Look, I'm not advocating shitty eating, but I do tire of these "do-gooders" always wanting a new regulation over what I can or cannot eat.
It's just enough already. If you're gonna down Arby's, McDonalds and Popeye's on a daily basis, your health will suffer.

All of the things you mention have a use, a beneficial use or purpose of nutritional or medical purposes. and can be used safely if used properly. Man made trans fat has no medical or nutritional beneficial purpose. It only has a negative affect on medical or nutritional terms. Because it is a agent that stays in the body and attaches itself to the walls of blood vessels, it is cumulative. A little bit at a time eventually adds up to a lot. You can drink a tiny bit, perhaps a very small fraction of a drop of anti freeze and it will not kill you or even make you sick. It will however cause calcium oxolate crystals to develop in your organs and eventually kill you.
The regulations objected to in this thread are not regulations that prevent people from eating any product they want to eat. They are regulations against not labeling to inform people of what they are eating or regulations to make producers prove that an ingredient being added is not unhealthy when scientific research has shown that the ingredient is in fact harmful. Research has proven anti freeze added to food is harmful. If you want to add it to your food product, you have to prove that it is not.

Labelling, no problem... I actually agree with that. People should have all the info they can at hand when it comes to certain tings. But stupid shit like you can't buy large Cokes just pisses me off. And I don't drink soft drinks.
Anything that does not exist in Nature, that should be a great big red flag waving that it's gotta be AT THE VERY LEAST checked out.

And yet our naysayers here don't want that to happen.
That's just bizarre. :cuckoo:
So to be consistent you want to outlaw all processed foods?
Processed foods may or may not require questionable ingredients. You can not lump them all together. All foods should at the very least list their ingredients and all ingredients should be scrutinized for safety.
You're moving the goal posts, first it was anything unnatural. If you're buying frozen dinners and cupcakes you should expect transfats. If a company figured out a way to not have them they can advertise it. Why do you need government to meddle with everything?
do you trust companies to put labels on something that may be a concern on their own?......for instance....back when they discovered what trans fats do....if a major food company would have found that and only they knew.....would they have said something,or wait until it was found out by others,and then jump in the flow?......

Harry, I get the impression some around here have selective memories about what the term "conflict of interest" means.

Labeling g GMOS would only be a plus for both the consumer and the company producing the food. Why enable them not to have to label?

Trans-fat will kill you - GMO's include things like Nectarines and Roses that people have been using for centuries. Grafting roots or grafting genes, it's all a GMO.

No stupid, that's not what "GMO" means. That's hybridization. Hybridization is working WITH Nature; GMO is man purporting to invent a NEW Nature.

No stupid, that's not what "GMO" means. That's hybridization. Hybridization is working WITH Nature; GMO is man purporting to invent a NEW Nature.
Please don't bully our village idiot.

Actually stupid, it's exactly what grafting does, combine the DNA from one plant with another.

When man slit the roots of a plumb tree and tied them to the slit roots of a peach tree, he invented a NEW nature - the Nectarine - which never existed before and does not occur without genetic modification by man.

They had NO idea what they were playing with, they didn't know what genes were, just that it worked. Those geneticists who create hybrid plants now at least have the knowledge of what they are doing.

Anti-science morons may piss themselves in fear - but we have been doing this for centuries.

Please don't bully our village idiot.

He didn't bully you.

Actually stupid, it's exactly what grafting does, combine the DNA from one plant with another.

When man slit the roots of a plumb tree and tied them to the slit roots of a peach tree, he invented a NEW nature - the Nectarine - which never existed before and does not occur without genetic modification by man.

They had NO idea what they were playing with, they didn't know what genes were, just that it worked. Those geneticists who create hybrid plants now at least have the knowledge of what they are doing.

Anti-science morons may piss themselves in fear - but we have been doing this for centuries.

"Anti-science morons" :rofl: Ironic coming from a guy who tried to tell us Rachel Carson wiped out the population of India.

Her birthday's coming up btw, just in case you're feeling masochistic....

... that is no reason why we should allow people to feed poison to the population in the mean time. Government's job at minimum is to protect the citizens from harm, both external and internal.
Poison? Oh, you mean making your Biggie Fries a little less healthy?
LOL
Taken in enough quantity over time it will without debate cause a deathly illness. It has no known nutritional value. But the case should not be about whether it can be allowed in food. The case should have been whether producers can add it in trace amounts without listing those trace amounts on the label. I have no problem with a person wanting to ingest trans fat and having the freedom to do so. I have a problem with people not wanting to ingest it and being tricked into ingesting it in quantities that have been proven to be harmful. Trans fat has a cumulative affect. A person should be able to judge for themselves how much is safe and at what point it will act as a poison. When you buy a loaf of bread you should be able to know if every slice you eat has trans fat, or no trans fat. You should be permitted to decide for yourself when you might ingest moderate or limited amounts of trans fat. I just don't see why a food producer needs to be allowed to hide what they put into their product.
Then why support an outright ban over proper labeling?
What are you talking about? I am in favor of accurate labeling. The law to now has allowed trace amounts of trans fats to be in food without appearing as such on the label. That is what the industry demanded.

This why the far left wants to ban trans fat:

Are there naturally occurring trans fats?

Small amounts of trans fats occur naturally in some meat and dairy products, including beef, lamb and butterfat. There have not been sufficient studies to determine whether these naturally occurring trans fats have the same bad effects on cholesterol levels as trans fats that have been industrially manufactured.

Trans Fats

LOL...Oh my, these are not the naturally occurring trans fats, you moron. We're not talking about the fat in the beef.

"Anti-science morons" :rofl: Ironic coming from a guy who tried to tell us Rachel Carson wiped out the population of India.

Her birthday's coming up btw, just in case you're feeling masochistic....

That one is so damn dumb, I bet he/she is from Okiehoma. LOL!

No they won't. The damage done by trans fat is a long established scientific fact. It has been studied from the USA to China and every nation that has medical research facilities in between. They all have come to the same conclusion. Putting a substance into your body that coagulates inside blood vessels to the point of creating blockage of blood flow is unhealthy. Want to do your own experiment? Pore grease down your kitchen drain every day and watch what happens.

Most thought the world was flat once too. People need to stop being so susceptible to fear.

People like you need to stop thinking your personal political preferences and beliefs supersede common sense, science and public safety. I don't want private for profit businesses to be allowed to add ingredients to my child's food without being required to tell me. And I don't want them to be able to play games with ingredients that are proven to be harmful at any level. Some things just don't belong in food. Artificially produced trans fat is one of them.

Oh my the irony impaired far left drones and their comments!

Yet they are ok with government telling what to do without any explanation..
Doctors and scientist were telling us about trans fat long before the government did. It has been explained by the medical professionals for decades. Literally thousands of studies have been made. All the government is doing is reacting to the findings of all these scientist and medical professionals in a responsible manner.

WOW! You really are a far left drone!

Explain how natural trans fats are bad for you?

OMG, you are dumber than a dog turd. No one is talking about natural trans fats. Holy cow, go read something.

LOL
Taken in enough quantity over time it will without debate cause a deathly illness. It has no known nutritional value. But the case should not be about whether it can be allowed in food. The case should have been whether producers can add it in trace amounts without listing those trace amounts on the label. I have no problem with a person wanting to ingest trans fat and having the freedom to do so. I have a problem with people not wanting to ingest it and being tricked into ingesting it in quantities that have been proven to be harmful. Trans fat has a cumulative affect. A person should be able to judge for themselves how much is safe and at what point it will act as a poison. When you buy a loaf of bread you should be able to know if every slice you eat has trans fat, or no trans fat. You should be permitted to decide for yourself when you might ingest moderate or limited amounts of trans fat. I just don't see why a food producer needs to be allowed to hide what they put into their product.
What are you talking about? I am in favor of accurate labeling. The law to now has allowed trace amounts of trans fats to be in food without appearing as such on the label. That is what the industry demanded.
But the move is to ban trans fats - NOT to correct labeling.

You keep trotting out that bullshit canard.
From the OP article:

“The agency has made a preliminary determination that partially hydrogenated oils, a major source of trans fat in processed food, are not generally recognized as safe for food,” FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg told reporters during a conference call Thursday morning, referencing the regulatory standard used by the agency to determine the safety of food ingredients.

“Generally recognized as safe” is industry-speak for a substance that food manufacturers have self-determined is safe. Under its proposal, FDA would rescind trans fat’s GRAS status.​

and what that means is:

The agency is accepting comments for 60 days, and then, if finalized, food manufacturers could only use partially hydrogenated oils if they apply to use them as food additives, which means companies would have to determine they do not harm the public health.​

Even the OP itself in its hopless bias only claims "The Obama administration is expected to all but ban trans fat" -- which is STILL bogus bias, as it's the FDA -- not "the Obama Administration". The FDA is always there, regardless the Administration, and has been since it was created -- by Republicans.

There is no "ban". All taking transfats off the GRAS list means is that if you put 'em in there, you have to show that they're not malicious-- puts the burden of proof on the foodmonger. What a fuckin' nightmare huh? Having to show you're not selling me poison, oh the indignity!

What you whiners are whining about is the prospect of Corporatia not being allowed to get away with a lie. Which is what "here, eat this" is when you know it's got poison in it.

The weird thing is, we did all this last time this same thing came up, and here y'all are again trying to make the same bullshit case that's already been shot down. Expecting different results are we?
I think you hit the nail on the head. This is not a ban and it certainly didn't originated with President Obeef.

LOl, you all should be so pleased you voted in these tryants who can wave a magic wand and BAN things in your life. Maybe we can get a petition going to BAN ABORTIONS.

snip:
The Obama administration is expected to all but ban trans fat in a final ruling that could drop as soon as next week, killing most uses of an ingredient that has been put in everything from frozen pizza to Reese’s Pieces but since deemed harmful to human health.

The agency may create some very limited exemptions, but the ruling could force food companies to cut trans fat use beyond the 85 percent reduction already achieved over the past decade — a key piece of the Obama administration’s broader agenda to nudge Americans toward a healthier diet. (Well hell, my mommy and daddy done both passed away. thank gawd for dear Leader)

The food industry believes low-levels of trans fats are safe. Industry leaders have banded together behind-the-scenes to craft a food additive petition that will ask FDA to allow some uses of partially hydrogenated oils, such as in the sprinkles on cupcakes, cookies and ice cream. The industry hasn’t shared details, but officials maintain the uses will represent “very limited amounts.”

For more than 60 years, partially hydrogenated oils have been used in food products under the status generally recognized as safe, which does not require FDA’s approval. But since the 1990s, reams of studies have linked trans fat consumption to cardiovascular disease, causing somewhere between 30,000 and 100,000 premature deaths before the industry started phasing it out.

In late 2013 the Obama administration issued a tentative determination that partially hydrogenated oils are not generally recognized as safe. The move sent shock waves through the food industry, which has already brought down average consumption from more than 4 grams per day to about 1 gram per day — an exodus largely fueled by mandatory labeling imposed a decade ago. Scores of popular products, including Oreos and Cheetos, have quietly dropped partially hydrogenated oils over the years, but it remains an ingredient in many products, including Pop Secret microwave popcorn, Pillsbury Grands! Cinnamon Rolls and Sara Lee cheesecake, as well as some restaurant fryers and commercial bakery goods.

If FDA sticks to its guns in its final determination — and most in food policy circles assume it will — the agency will be taking a firm step toward pushing out more of the remaining uses of trans fat.

all of it here:
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/fda-trans-fat-ban-118003.html#ixzz3aQwZLZoW

Don't you know? The right to eat whatever you want isn't found in the constitution and if it was, justice Roberts would say no it ain't.

After reading some of the liberal post I wonder whether or not moms Apple pie should be banned? What mom decided to use transfat instead of something else? Should she be out in jail for poisoning her kid? After all we would do the same if she baked the pie with lead paint. I'm told these are the same thing so why not? Should we just skip the trial by declaring her an enemy combatant? Moms everywhere BEWARE!

... that is no reason why we should allow people to feed poison to the population in the mean time. Government's job at minimum is to protect the citizens from harm, both external and internal.
LOL

This why the far left wants to ban trans fat:

Are there naturally occurring trans fats?

Small amounts of trans fats occur naturally in some meat and dairy products, including beef, lamb and butterfat. There have not been sufficient studies to determine whether these naturally occurring trans fats have the same bad effects on cholesterol levels as trans fats that have been industrially manufactured.

Trans Fats
Naturally occurring trans fats found in meat and daily products are unavoidable unless you don't eat the meat and use fat free dairy products. The trans fats found naturally are different than that produced by hydrogenation. Unlike artificially produce trans fats,there has been no research that shows that natural occurring trans fats are unsafe. Stopping the use of artificially created trans fats will not have any major effect on the food processing industry because there are a number of substitutes.

Avoiding trans fats and saturated fats will not only reduce your chance of heart disease but also other serious diseases. Any amount that enters your body is likely to increase your cholesterol which leads eventually to heart disease and strokes. Eliminating artificial trans fats from all foods is a relatively easy way to reduce cholesterol. Both the individual and the nation benefits. We spend 444 billion dollars a year on heart disease, 1 in every 6 healthcare dollars.

Trans Fats
Can Some Trans Fats Be Healthy

Last edited:
Avoiding trans fats and saturated fats will not only reduce your chance of heart disease but also other serious diseases. Any amount that enters your body is likely to increase your cholesterol which leads eventually to heart disease and strokes. Eliminating artificial trans fats from all foods is a relatively easy way to reduce cholesterol. Both the individual and the nation benefits. We spend 444 billion dollars a year on heart disease, 1 in every 6 healthcare dollars.
Plenty of people avoid it now. I get very little trans fat because of my eating choices. You libs need mother government to make decisions for you, that's what the argument is really all about.

LOl, you all should be so pleased you voted in these tryants who can wave a magic wand and BAN things in your life. Maybe we can get a petition going to BAN ABORTIONS.

snip:
The Obama administration is expected to all but ban trans fat in a final ruling that could drop as soon as next week, killing most uses of an ingredient that has been put in everything from frozen pizza to Reese’s Pieces but since deemed harmful to human health.

The agency may create some very limited exemptions, but the ruling could force food companies to cut trans fat use beyond the 85 percent reduction already achieved over the past decade — a key piece of the Obama administration’s broader agenda to nudge Americans toward a healthier diet. (Well hell, my mommy and daddy done both passed away. thank gawd for dear Leader)

The food industry believes low-levels of trans fats are safe. Industry leaders have banded together behind-the-scenes to craft a food additive petition that will ask FDA to allow some uses of partially hydrogenated oils, such as in the sprinkles on cupcakes, cookies and ice cream. The industry hasn’t shared details, but officials maintain the uses will represent “very limited amounts.”

For more than 60 years, partially hydrogenated oils have been used in food products under the status generally recognized as safe, which does not require FDA’s approval. But since the 1990s, reams of studies have linked trans fat consumption to cardiovascular disease, causing somewhere between 30,000 and 100,000 premature deaths before the industry started phasing it out.

In late 2013 the Obama administration issued a tentative determination that partially hydrogenated oils are not generally recognized as safe. The move sent shock waves through the food industry, which has already brought down average consumption from more than 4 grams per day to about 1 gram per day — an exodus largely fueled by mandatory labeling imposed a decade ago. Scores of popular products, including Oreos and Cheetos, have quietly dropped partially hydrogenated oils over the years, but it remains an ingredient in many products, including Pop Secret microwave popcorn, Pillsbury Grands! Cinnamon Rolls and Sara Lee cheesecake, as well as some restaurant fryers and commercial bakery goods.

If FDA sticks to its guns in its final determination — and most in food policy circles assume it will — the agency will be taking a firm step toward pushing out more of the remaining uses of trans fat.

all of it here:
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/fda-trans-fat-ban-118003.html#ixzz3aQwZLZoW

Of the things they allow in US products are many carcinogens, toxins, poisons, and things suspected to be of this sort. Banning fat or any sort doesn't make any sense given what they're still allowing. Oh well, I guess it does make sense in that someone got a payoff somewhere. Likely whoever has the non-trans-fat alternative.

snip:

all of it here:

Of the things they allow in US products are many carcinogens, toxins, poisons, and things suspected to be of this sort. Banning fat or any sort doesn't make any sense given what they're still allowing. Oh well, I guess it does make sense in that someone got a payoff somewhere. Likely whoever has the non-trans-fat alternative.

Do you know of some other ingredient that is allowed to be added to food products without listing? Do you know of an ingredient that is as harmful as man produced trans fat that is used in even a fraction of the products that have been adding these trans fats? It is that combination that has put trans fat on the chopping block. It is being added without notification when added in measurements of 0.5 g which means it does not appear on the label. At the same time, it is used in so many products that avoiding it is almost impossible. The fact it is not listed means it is impossible for an average citizen to know how much of the harmful substance is being ingested and can easily be ingested in dangerous quantities without knowledge to the consumer.

Forum List

Back