Zone1 For people now 60+, will we be forced to pay reparations in our lifetimes?

I agree with reparations where specific loss and damage can be proven.

Jews are able to receive reparations for specific paintings that were stolen from their family during the 30s

Japanese Americans were reimbursed for their internment during WWII

I think blacks from Tulsa should be reimbursed for the homes and businesses that were taken from them in the Tulsa race riots
For once we agree on something. Blacks who can prove a specific loss within their families, due to their race, deserve reparations.

Jews are able to receive reparations for specific paintings that were stolen from their family during the 30s

I think blacks from Tulsa should be reimbursed for the homes and businesses that were taken from them in the Tulsa race riots
I agree with the interning of the Japanese during WWII ---- the spy problem was considerable. That one decision may well be why we (barely) won in the Pacific. Midway, the Yorktown: I've followed this in the histories.

Still, they weren't all spies. Interesting point; I don't know whether I agree or not.

As to Tulsa, specific persons might be reimbursed for specific burned properties on exactly the model of repayment of Jews for important and valuable paintings ---- I wouldn't support one of these silly general "throw money at blacks" sort of efforts to shut them up for awhile.

Interesting to me that "reparations" efforts never get started for DECADES after the event, when feelings and attitudes are maybe in a different place.

Not really, suppose you IDed as black for ten years?

64cac9eab1af66f50969bf5329d1e220.jpg
If I had, I doubt I'd be enjoying the amenities of life I now have!

Not really, suppose you IDed as black for ten years?

64cac9eab1af66f50969bf5329d1e220.jpg
Actually, I think the stupid and leftist state government worker who wrote that meant “living in California for 10 years and is black.“ Otherwise, you’d have every black person in America, excepting those who didn't want to take part in a giant theft, moving to California.

So do you think you should pay those reparations and if not, why?

It all comes down to why does this generation of blacks deserve reparations while other generations do not?

If we pay this generation reparations, don’t their children and grandchildren deserve reparations just as much? Answer is, they don’t.

Paying reparations does not absolve our historical guilt over slavery.
I doubt there will ever be cash payments to individuals. We'll possibly fund programs to counteract the disadvantages the black community has unquestionably suffered

It all comes down to why does this generation of blacks deserve reparations while other generations do not?

If we pay this generation reparations, don’t their children and grandchildren deserve reparations just as much? Answer is, they don’t.

Paying reparations does not absolve our historical guilt over slavery.

The logical problem with reparations payments is this:

Slavery was the custom in Africa for centuries before some were sold to the slave traders in this country.

Had they not been sent here, they would have been slaves in Africa anyway.

The heirs to the American slaves make 1.7 million more in lifetime earnings because of their ancestors being brought here, compared to the slaves left in Africa.

The blacks BENEFITED in comparison to their African slave heirs.

Are we going to also pay reparations to Native Americans for stealing their land or Japanese Americans for the way they were treated during WWII? Why open up a can of worms?

Are we going to also pay reparations to Native Americans for stealing their land or Japanese Americans for the way they were treated during WWII? Why open up a can of worms?
We already have paid the Japanese and the natives we continue to pay.

We already have paid the Japanese and the natives we continue to pay.
We took away the culture of Native Americans and stuck them on reservations. Japanese Americans were blamed for the actions of their mother country well after the war ended.

We took away the culture of Native Americans and stuck them on reservations. Japanese Americans were blamed for the actions of their mother country well after the war ended.
Which war was that?

The war caused the Japanese internment camps, they had them for Italians and Germans also. The end result of letting people of these nationalities continue to operate in the US meant retribution from the populace over what their nations were doing.
We have never had a war with Africans there was that little problem with the Muslims in Tripoli but we took care of that a very long time ago.

Forum List

Back