Ford's new car will force you to obey the speed limit

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Wow, I can see where this will be IMMENSELY popular.

I for one can hardly wait to plunk down even more cash than new cars cost now, for the privilege of having my car overrule me when I decide to speed up.

If the car companies really wanted to make cars safer by some high-tech tomfoolery, they would used the automatic-braking sensor and speed measurement, to measure how close you are to the car in front of you, and reduce your speed to keep your following distance safe. That would avoid a GREAT many more collisions than a speed-limit restrictor... since more accidents are caused by tailgating than by speeding.

I can see this speed-limit restrictor as being as popular as Obamacare... which had to be forced through Congress at midnight on Christmas eve and imposed on the American people without their consent. (People who then kicked most of the Democrats who did it, out of Congress.) The same will be necessary for this speed-limit restrictor.

---------------------------------------------------

Ford s new car will force you to obey the speed limit

by Daniel Cooper | @danielwcooper | 6 hrs ago

Much as we'd like to emulate our NASCAR heroes, breaking the speed limit often comes at a price. Ford is hoping to prevent accidents and speeding tickets by introducing cars that can see what the speed limit is and preventing heavy-footed motorists from driving any faster. Ford's Intelligent Speed Limiter tech will first appear on the new Ford S-Max that's launching in Europe that could just change the way that we drive.

A camera mounted on the windshield scans the road signs on the sides of the highway and, when the vehicle enters a 20mph zone, the system reduces the top speed to match. Rather than controlling the speed with automatic braking, the car limits its own velocity by adjusting the amount of fuel being pushed to the engine.

On the other hand, teenagers will find a new source of kicks, quietly putting a "Speed Limit 25" sign on a freeway and watching the massive traffic jam that results. Maybe they can even mount one on the back of their car... would the scanner know the difference?

Fun fun fun........ and easier than tagging.

I for one can hardly wait to plunk down even more cash than new cars cost now, for the privilege of having my car overrule me when I decide to speed up.

If the car companies really wanted to make cars safer by some high-tech tomfoolery, they would used the automatic-braking sensor and speed measurement, to measure how close you are to the car in front of you, and reduce your speed to keep your following distance safe. That would avoid a GREAT many more collisions than a speed-limit restrictor... since more accidents are caused by tailgating than by speeding.

I can see this speed-limit restrictor as being as popular as Obamacare... which had to be forced through Congress at midnight on Christmas eve and imposed on the American people without their consent. (People who then kicked most of the Democrats who did it, out of Congress.) The same will be necessary for this speed-limit restrictor.

Much as we'd like to emulate our NASCAR heroes, breaking the speed limit often comes at a price. Ford is hoping to prevent accidents and speeding tickets by introducing cars that can see what the speed limit is and preventing heavy-footed motorists from driving any faster. Ford's Intelligent Speed Limiter tech will first appear on the new Ford S-Max that's launching in Europe that could just change the way that we drive.

A camera mounted on the windshield scans the road signs on the sides of the highway and, when the vehicle enters a 20mph zone, the system reduces the top speed to match. Rather than controlling the speed with automatic braking, the car limits its own velocity by adjusting the amount of fuel being pushed to the engine.
That will get your ass killed on the Interstates.

Anybody else need more proof that the government and big business are in bed together?

Time to go short on Ford Motor Co stock.

That would not work for me. I do like the rear cameras for backing out though.

Sure hope they weren't planning on selling more than half a dozen or so.

Can anyone say what is really wrong with this idea? Yes, i know all the pedal-philes like speeding but there is no question speeding is dangerous for everyone even the non-speeders. THINK

Speeding is for psychopaths with no concern for the safety of others.

100 americans are killed EVERY DAY on our highways. Imagine if a jet liner crashed every day and we knew how to stop it and doing so would save money, not cost money. THINK

Last edited:

Just so that guy, and the OP , are aware, cruise control that automatically slows down when a vehicle is sensed ahead has been on the market for several years.

A better idea is stiffer penalties for speeding. If you're caught doing 10 or more malprow over the limit you lose your license for a period of months.

One of these days someone is gonna get badly injured in a crash caused by a speeder and sue the auto companies for building cars DESIGNED to break the law. Then the industry will have to change. I can't understand why this hasn't happened yet. I suspect people have threatened to sue and the company gave them a huge settlement to shut up.

Forum List

Back