Ford's new car will force you to obey the speed limit

I doubt that the government actually likes an idea like this - there is a LOT of money being stolen in the forms of traffic violations.

Stolen??? Are you saying the speeders and red light runners are NOT guilty? THINK

A better idea is stiffer penalties for speeding. If you're caught doing 10 or more malprow over the limit you lose your license for a period of months.

ShootSpeeders, we already know you're stupid, no need to further prove it.

Speaking of that. When are we going to mandate jail time for being stupid? That is just as dangerous.
lol.

Valid point. I think you are incorrect though - idiots are FAR more dangerous.

Wow, I can see where this will be IMMENSELY popular.

I for one can hardly wait to plunk down even more cash than new cars cost now, for the privilege of having my car overrule me when I decide to speed up.

If the car companies really wanted to make cars safer by some high-tech tomfoolery, they would used the automatic-braking sensor and speed measurement, to measure how close you are to the car in front of you, and reduce your speed to keep your following distance safe. That would avoid a GREAT many more collisions than a speed-limit restrictor... since more accidents are caused by tailgating than by speeding.

I can see this speed-limit restrictor as being as popular as Obamacare... which had to be forced through Congress at midnight on Christmas eve and imposed on the American people without their consent. (People who then kicked most of the Democrats who did it, out of Congress.) The same will be necessary for this speed-limit restrictor.

---------------------------------------------------

Ford s new car will force you to obey the speed limit

by Daniel Cooper | @danielwcooper | 6 hrs ago

Much as we'd like to emulate our NASCAR heroes, breaking the speed limit often comes at a price. Ford is hoping to prevent accidents and speeding tickets by introducing cars that can see what the speed limit is and preventing heavy-footed motorists from driving any faster. Ford's Intelligent Speed Limiter tech will first appear on the new Ford S-Max that's launching in Europe that could just change the way that we drive.

A camera mounted on the windshield scans the road signs on the sides of the highway and, when the vehicle enters a 20mph zone, the system reduces the top speed to match. Rather than controlling the speed with automatic braking, the car limits its own velocity by adjusting the amount of fuel being pushed to the engine.

Proposed an idea like this for years now. Have a scanner in the front of the vehicle that reads speed limit signs with barcodes to know what the speed limit is. Once that's determined the car can go no faster than the posted speed limit.

A related idea a bit more draconian is simply limited how fats US made/sold vehicles can even go. If the highest speed limit int he country is say 75MPH, why would anything legal to drive in the US be capable of exceeding that speed?

A related idea a bit more draconian is simply limited how fats US made/sold vehicles can even go. If the highest speed limit int he country is say 75MPH, why would anything legal to drive in the US be capable of exceeding that speed?

No need for bar codes. The technology to read the speed limit signs is already out there.

"HAHAHA. You ignorant jackass. Try buying a semi-automatic gun and reconfigure it to full auto and see what the govt says"

May not be the brightest bulb in the pack but at least I know the differences between guns and cars. Get someone to explain them to you. If possible.

"HAHAHA. You ignorant jackass. Try buying a semi-automatic gun and reconfigure it to full auto and see what the govt says"

May not be the brightest bulb in the pack but at least I know the differences between guns and cars. Get someone to explain them to you. If possible.

And, of course, altering a speed limiting piece of electronics is EXACTLY the same as making an autoloading firearm fully automatic. I guess other alterations to firearms are also illegal?? lol

Because it is not for the government to limit the speed my car drives for me.

Speed limits are not federal either - there are 80mph speed limits out there. At some point speed limits are likely to raise as well.

I for one can hardly wait to plunk down even more cash than new cars cost now, for the privilege of having my car overrule me when I decide to speed up.

If the car companies really wanted to make cars safer by some high-tech tomfoolery, they would used the automatic-braking sensor and speed measurement, to measure how close you are to the car in front of you, and reduce your speed to keep your following distance safe. That would avoid a GREAT many more collisions than a speed-limit restrictor... since more accidents are caused by tailgating than by speeding.

I can see this speed-limit restrictor as being as popular as Obamacare... which had to be forced through Congress at midnight on Christmas eve and imposed on the American people without their consent. (People who then kicked most of the Democrats who did it, out of Congress.) The same will be necessary for this speed-limit restrictor.

Much as we'd like to emulate our NASCAR heroes, breaking the speed limit often comes at a price. Ford is hoping to prevent accidents and speeding tickets by introducing cars that can see what the speed limit is and preventing heavy-footed motorists from driving any faster. Ford's Intelligent Speed Limiter tech will first appear on the new Ford S-Max that's launching in Europe that could just change the way that we drive.

A camera mounted on the windshield scans the road signs on the sides of the highway and, when the vehicle enters a 20mph zone, the system reduces the top speed to match. Rather than controlling the speed with automatic braking, the car limits its own velocity by adjusting the amount of fuel being pushed to the engine.

The 'smart' car that drives itself, and never goes over a speed limit will put a lot of people out of business.

Besides the obvious, police traffic departments, there are the car insurance industry (if everyone is a passenger, who needs insurance?), the auto body repair industry (if there are no accidents, there are no repairs), and the emergency care response industry (if there are no accidents, who needs a hospital emergency room?).

Seems like a lot of people have a vested interest in the technology. People who have already paid for their Senator. Just say'n...

The 'smart' car that drives itself, and never goes over a speed limit will put a lot of people out of business.

Besides the obvious, police traffic departments, there are the car insurance industry (if everyone is a passenger, who needs insurance?), the auto body repair industry (if there are no accidents, there are no repairs), and the emergency care response industry (if there are no accidents, who needs a hospital emergency room?).

Seems like a lot of people have a vested interest in the technology. People who have already paid for their Senator. Just say'n...

Irrelevant. It is coming. Google has already built and tested several. You will see them start being available within the next decade.

Irrelevant. It is coming. Google has already built and tested several. You will see them start being available within the next decade.

Google is going to insure the auto accident industry?

The only way that could happen is if Obama can pass 'Googlecare' legislation, through a Repblican Congress.

..heh..

This of course means more taxes. Since you can't speed, revenue from speeding tickets will drop and force government to make up for it. When evil business owner lay off people or raise prices, they're greedy bastards. Government just tell you it's necessary to raise taxes or they'll have to lay off teachers and firefighters.

Wouldn't it save more lives if you made them able to recognize stop signs and red lights so people can't blow thru them intentionally , accidentally or by inattention.

Forum List

Back