Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

I don’t think this bridge was particularly fragile

I mean, most bridges will collapse if a cargo ship collides into them.
I think they meant how fragile the infrastructure is, not the bridge. This takes out the beltway around Baltimore and severely impacts the Port of Baltimore. It will be months to clear the debris and rebuild the bridge, almost impossible with the muddled regulations we have imposed on ourselves. The economic impact will be huge. I don't think many people are aware of how easy it is to disrupt power, communications, water, and the supply chain is already teetering. It just doesn't require much effort to interrupt service because things are engineered to provide normal service in a benign environment, which we aren't anymore. This should be a heads up, and as you should know by now it's like Rahm Emanuel (remember him from Obama?) says "
You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

It was not immediately clear how the bridge collapse would affect access to the Port of Baltimore, one of the nation’s largest shipping hubs and a driver of the region’s economy.

The port annually generates nearly $3.3 billion in total personal income, $2.6 billion in business income and more than $395 million in taxes, according to a Maryland state website. It handled 52.3 million tons of international cargo last year, which was valued at $80.8 billion.

Forum List

Back