Franklin Delano Roosevelt

In any case historians both liberal and conservative have rated FDR as one of the three greatest presidents since they began rating presidents in 1948. Wonder what the people of FDR's time thought of him?

In any case historians both liberal and conservative have rated FDR as one of the three greatest presidents since they began rating presidents in 1948. Wonder what the people of FDR's time thought of him?

The civilians, and a simple majority of veterans in 1948, would have known what FDR was like.
It was the same voting base and generation, and the largely the same people and demographics.

Same old fallacy...

Good.
We should be doing that with these arabs today.

People were imprisoned for no other reason than looking like me, asshat. Learn from history or be doomed to repeat it.

And there is nothing unconstitutional about the new deal.

Sure, not after he threatened to expand the size of the court and force mandatory retirement ages because they were striking down all of his legislation as unconstitutional. No coercion there at all.

Ask 100 people on the street if they know the US operated concentration camps during WWII and 100 of them will say "wha...?"

No, Unkotare, you are wrong, at least where I live. The Americans of Japanese ancestory were unjustly imprisoned. And much of their property was unjustly taken. Every President has made dumb mistakes. FDR made many. Yet he gave us hope during the Depression, and during the war against the Nazis and Imperial Japan. Overall, my Grandparents, who were Republicans prior to the Depression admired FDR. They lost everything due to the depression. Went from well to do landowners, ranchers and farmers, to wage earners, hoping for the next job. There was no one else offering hope at that time other than FDR.

No, Unkotare, you are wrong, at least where I live. The Americans of Japanese ancestory were unjustly imprisoned. And much of their property was unjustly taken. Every President has made dumb mistakes. FDR made many. Yet he gave us hope during the Depression, and during the war against the Nazis and Imperial Japan. Overall, my Grandparents, who were Republicans prior to the Depression admired FDR. They lost everything due to the depression. Went from well to do landowners, ranchers and farmers, to wage earners, hoping for the next job. There was no one else offering hope at that time other than FDR.

As far as I'm concerned, that was no mistake.
That was policy, defending America against espionage, the exact same as we should be doing today with the arabs.

It was a mistake and a terrible injustice. The Go for Broke Division proved that. The Americans of Japanese Ancestory were no differant than the Americans of Germanic Ancestory.

FDR goaded the Japanese into an attack and they stupidly complied
The United States of America was attacked at pearl harbor December 7th 1941 by a far outmoded government Administering a far outmoded regime and set of beliefs and culture, that had recently been newly industrialized by the UK, and then trade with the USA...

[...]
If FDR had not taken a stand against Japan's fascistic aggression it would have been a matter of time until the entire Far East would be under Japanese control.

At that time, Hitler Germany, which was allied with Japan, was preparing to conquer and occupy England, which its forthcoming V-2 rocket program was certain to facilitate.

At the same time, Mussolini's fascist Italy was aligning with Hitler's intention to sweep across and occupy the entire European continent, which, without aid from an industrially powerful nation (the U.S.), was as certain as was Japan's inevitable conquest of the Far East and, eventually, Australia.

At the same time, Germany was making inroads onto oil-rich Northern Africa, which could easily have supplied the energy needs of an emerging unified fascist empire.

If the combined ambitions of Hirohito, Hitler and Mussolini had resulted in a fully accomplished, irresistibly powerful allied war machine, which would have taken no more than two or three years, there is no way the North-American continent could have withstood a unified attack and occupation.

FDR had to deal with that menacing prospect -- and he did.

If FDR had not taken a stand against Japan's fascistic aggression it would have been a matter of time until the entire Far East would be under Japanese control

WTF??????

Me thinks someone needs a history lesson...Lmao The Japanese did take over the entire far east

FDR goaded the Japanese into an attack and they stupidly complied
The United States of America was attacked at pearl harbor December 7th 1941 by a far outmoded government Administering a far outmoded regime and set of beliefs and culture, that had recently been newly industrialized by the UK, and then trade with the USA...

[...]
If FDR had not taken a stand against Japan's fascistic aggression it would have been a matter of time until the entire Far East would be under Japanese control.

At that time, Hitler Germany, which was allied with Japan, was preparing to conquer and occupy England, which its forthcoming V-2 rocket program was certain to facilitate.

At the same time, Mussolini's fascist Italy was aligning with Hitler's intention to sweep across and occupy the entire European continent, which, without aid from an industrially powerful nation (the U.S.), was as certain as was Japan's inevitable conquest of the Far East and, eventually, Australia.

At the same time, Germany was making inroads onto oil-rich Northern Africa, which could easily have supplied the energy needs of an emerging unified fascist empire.

If the combined ambitions of Hirohito, Hitler and Mussolini had resulted in a fully accomplished, irresistibly powerful allied war machine, which would have taken no more than two or three years, there is no way the North-American continent could have withstood a unified attack and occupation.

FDR had to deal with that menacing prospect -- and he did.

If FDR had not taken a stand against Japan's fascistic aggression it would have been a matter of time until the entire Far East would be under Japanese control

WTF??????

Me thinks someone needs a history lesson...Lmao The Japanese did take over the entire far east

They had no business trying to take over a damn thing anywhere, period.

That was policy, defending America against espionage...

Ignorant nonsense.

Ignorant nonsense.

The only mistake that was made was not dropping 6 thousand more on them.
:)

Good.

People were imprisoned for no other reason than looking like me, asshat. Learn from history or be doomed to repeat it.

Sure, not after he threatened to expand the size of the court and force mandatory retirement ages because they were striking down all of his legislation as unconstitutional. No coercion there at all.
The Court has been changed at least four times in membership to accommodate political laws to pass or fail via a Court decision. The first was during President Adams tenure to prevent Jefferson from appointing a judge to replace the ailing Cushing the Federalists reduced the Court size by one.

Good.

The Court has been changed at least four times in membership to accommodate political laws to pass or fail via a Court decision. The first was during President Adams tenure to prevent Jefferson from appointing a judge to replace the ailing Cushing the Federalists reduced the Court size by one.

Shameless apologist. Tyrants love fools like you.

Ignorant nonsense.

You're an idiot.

Perhaps we wouldn't be hearing mister krautman whine some more about how great he is, if we would have dropped them on Doucheland too.

Ignorant nonsense.

You're an idiot.

Perhaps we wouldn't be hearing mister krautman whine some more about how great he is, if we would have dropped them on Doucheland too.

Have you ever studied history at all?

Ignorant nonsense.

You're an idiot.

Have you ever studied history at all?

yep, just about every documentary there is.
Including a few where the surviving krauts got to see what weapons were their enemy, up close and personal and safely...
And liked the allied aircrafts and ships better.

Not only have I read a lot of history, being 72, I have experianced a good deal of it. My wife's family were living in St. Johns when the Americans of Japanese ancestory were rounded up. And visited and tried to help them in whatever little way they could. They were Native American, and well understood blind intolerance.

Forum List

Back