Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

The Duck man is packed full of fortified Christian values.

ftfyop.jpg

Your accusations are becoming more outlandish. So, where does it say he's a member of Westboro?

You really have to wonder why some right wingers feel this desperate need to prove the Southern Democrats of 50 years ago believed in the same things the Southern Republicans believe in today.

It's a real mystery. Is this their way of saying they want Southern Republicans to return to being Democrats?

Fine with me. Please. Go ahead!

They are the same Big government Controllers that they have always been, they just morphed it into helping the poor and needy and made them still dependent, rather than independent.

As did Indiana.

But, let's get to the crux of the matter. Are you saying that the Democrats of the 1860s-1950s the same Democrats as today with the same policies and platform?

No, just with the same core values.

Racism and authoritarian control are the constant with the democrats, from Aaron Burr / Andrew Jackson to present.

Was he forced? Normally, it doesn't take three weeks to be 'forced' to do anything. Normally being forced involves a certain aspect of immediacy. A la Nixon's resignation. "I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow."

That statement followed over a year of background development. False analogy.

Again, you don't resign at the nadir of your value. That's insane. Bashir was fired, and that's obvious. Unless you're saying you believe everything MSNBC says...

I'm sorry, Pogo, but I think that 'you don't resign at the nadir of your value' is a red herring. A resignation is what it is. If almost every major news outlet in the country uses "resigns" in their leads, then consensus was that he resigned, not that he was fired.

Number one, that's all the same mass media machine that hired and fired Martin Bashir. They're not going to contradict one of their own. Number two is just plain common sense. I say "you don't resign at your nadir" because you don't. Same thing with Beck. Neither one would have left if they had a choice. Mass media is like lawyers; they're not going to eat one of their own. Martin Bashi or Glenn Beck could conceivably come back and work for another one of its tentacles. Open your eyes.

UPDATE:

Looks like the boycott is working. A&E lost 6.4 million viewers during the marathon last night in protest of Phil Robertson's suspension.

Oh bullshit.

Number one, you do not and can not discern ratings trends from a single show. Too many variables. And number two, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Whoever tunes out the show is at least compensated by those who weren't interested before, have now read about this "controversy", and will now tune in out of curiosity.

Absence of link also noted.

Last edited:
That statement followed over a year of background development. False analogy.

Again, you don't resign at the nadir of your value. That's insane. Bashir was fired, and that's obvious. Unless you're saying you believe everything MSNBC says...

I'm sorry, Pogo, but I think that 'you don't resign at the nadir of your value' is a red herring. A resignation is what it is. If almost every major news outlet in the country uses "resigns" in their leads, then consensus was that he resigned, not that he was fired.

Number one, that's all the same mass media machine that hired and fired Martin Bashir. They're not going to contradict one of their own. Number two is just plain common sense. I say "you don't resign at your nadir" because you don't. Same thing with Beck. Mass media is like lawyers; they're not going to eat one of their own. Martin Bashir or Glenn Beck could conceivably come back and work for another one of its tentacles. Open your eyes.

<sarcasm>Pogo, my eyes are open. I wouldn't be able to see to type otherwise. </sarcasm>

As you have no doubt witnessed, the army of liberally biased outlets had no problem eating Fox News alive day in and day out, excoriating their reporting and their journalists. But hey, per your reasoning "they don't eat their own."

Last edited:
As did Indiana.

But, let's get to the crux of the matter. Are you saying that the Democrats of the 1860s-1950s the same Democrats as today with the same policies and platform?

No, just with the same core values.

Racism and authoritarian control are the constant with the democrats, from Aaron Burr / Andrew Jackson to present.

In other words, "no, but yes."
"But I mean yes but I say no"

Hypocrite.

The Duck man is packed full of fortified Christian values.

ftfyop.jpg

Extreme views by 50 or so members of the Westboro Baptist Church does not represent nor even get close to the views of the majority of all Christians.

GOD does not hate gay people.

UPDATE:

Looks like the boycott is working. A&E lost 6.4 million viewers during the marathon last night in protest of Phil Robertson's suspension.

Oh bullshit.

Number one, you do not and can not discern ratings trends from a single show. Too many variables. And number two, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Whoever tunes out the show is at least compensated by those who weren't interested before, have now read about this "controversy", and will now tune in out of curiosity.

Absence of a functional brain also noted. This is the same guy who has his nose up Sarah Palin's skirt all the time, too.

I find the people who say, like Phil, they were hell raisers and sinners previous to them finding Jesus to be some of the most uncompromising, self righteous people I have ever met.

I find people who summarily judge people by their own personal moral standards to be reprehensible and uncompromising. Namely people such as you. You act as if a man cannot redeem himself from past wrongs.

If Christians are wrong for doing it, so are homosexuals for doing the same.

Case in point.

Touché. :thup:

You really have to wonder why some right wingers feel this desperate need to prove the Southern Democrats of 50 years ago believed in the same things the Southern Republicans believe in today.

It's a real mystery. Is this their way of saying they want Southern Republicans to return to being Democrats?

Fine with me. Please. Go ahead!

Maybe they have been learning THE WRONG lessons from Liberal failures in debate.

Libs, Dems, Leftists, Jihadists and Progressives are KNOWN for trying to play the equivalence game whenever they are caught doing something wrong or bad or questionable.

Libs, Dems, Leftists, Jihadists and Progressives: "Well, "Mr. GOP" did it, too!"

Conservative posters would do well to avoid this weak tactic. All it achieves is equivalence with the opponent. Not an advantage nor a victory. You just make yourself appear to be equal to your opponent.

The reason Libs, Dems, Leftists, Jihadists and Progressives use it is because they are often in an UNDEFENDABLE position and for them to achieve parity with Conservative icons or standards represents a major accomplishment.

Robertson is toast

The floodgates are now going to open and every anti-gay, anti-civil rights statement he ever made will come out

Chickens come home to roost

UPDATE:

Honestly, I have watched the show twice. As a rule, I despise "reality" shows. However, I respect the shows' premise and it was good to see a family praying together. America (et al) could learn a valuable lesson about FAMILY from that...

I see this "Duck Dynasty" stuff everywhere I go - from hats and clothes to cookbooks. These guys need A&E like I need more back pain. Leave the network and move on to another.

The butt burglars just can't wrap their pansy heads around the idea that they have made (probably) another 150 million for these folks. I'm sure that the Robertson clan is laughing all the way to the bank…..

As is A&E. As Mencken observed, "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

... "Butt burglars"?

UPDATE:

Oh bullshit.

Read

http://www.newsninja2012.com/dynastypolls.html

Last edited:

I'm curious: Has anyone tried to explain precisely how punishing people and intimidating people, simply for saying what they're thinking, is going to open communication and heal the nasty divisions and animosities that plague our country?

Or does anyone really give a shit?

<bump>

Well, I guess I have my answer.

This isn't about improving anything.

I remember it well. Bumper stickers abounded saying "Vote for the crook-- it's important" (referring to Edwards). Whether he was accepted at one level or rejected at another is irrelevant; my point is that he did so as a Republican -- which puts the lie to your false association fallacy.

Once again, that's bullshit, Squeaky. Provably.

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

BOTH parties passed it. And if you really need a scoreboard, you get 152 D to 138 R (House) and 46 D to 27 R (Senate). Doesn't work. But look at the stark difference between North and South within each party. That tells you what's really going on.

There IS only one president after, and that administration isn't finished yet so that's a nonstarter. As for before, it's the passage of time. Duh.

Or are you still trying to sell the snake oil that racism -- a character trait -- is somehow a political plank?

:cuckoo:

the point, which you seem unable to grasp, is that the civil rights act would not have passed without republican votes. It is also a fact the democrat Byrd tried to fillibuster the bill.

If the dems would stop the false claim that they have always been the party of integration and tolerance it would help the dialog, a little truth is good for everyone.

Goalposts moved. Twice. :eusa_hand:

nope, same goalposts, same field, same rules...... you just lost, sorry.

Forum List

Back