Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

I grew up in the pre civil rights era. YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.

Phil Robertson's America - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

And I am also sure that very few black people approached Robertson to complain about "doggone white people."

I have some idea why:

The corpse of 16-year-old Freddie Moore, his face showing signs of a severe beating, hands bound, remained hanging for at least 24 hours from a metal girder on the old, hand-cranked swing bridge spanning Bayou Lafourche.

Hanged by the neck the night of Oct. 11, 1933, in a mob lynching, the black youth had been accused in the death of a neighbor, a white girl ...

Arrested Oct. 10, 1933, in the slaying days earlier of Anna Mae LaRose, a 15-year-old girl who was his friend, Moore was pulled from the parish jail in Napoleonville the next night by an angry mob of 50 to 200 armed and unmasked people who had the prison keys.

Some accounts say the lynchers were unknown and from out of town, as far away as New Orleans, while others say the mob was known to authorities. A coroner’s jury, impaneled by then-parish Coroner Dr. T.B. Pugh, said Moore “met death by a mob of unknown persons,” according to news accounts.

After being hauled from the jail, Moore was brought to the field where LaRose’s body was found, according to an Oct. 14, 1933, account in the black-owned New Orleans newspaper, The Louisiana Weekly. With a rope around his neck and clothes stripped to his waist, the teen was then marched, while being beaten, from the murder scene to the bridge and subjected to a branding iron whenever he fell.

Hanging from his body, a sign offered the final indignity: “******* Let This Be An Example. Do-Not-Touch-In 24 Hr. Mean it.”

As white people reviewed the scene on the bridge and black residents were warned to stay away, Moore’s body remained within sight of a school and the venerable St. Philomena Catholic Church, its spire above the fray.

One should not be lulled into thinking that the murder of Freddie Moore was out of the ordinary in Louisiana. Between 1882 and 1936, only Georgia, Texas and Mississippi saw more black people lynched. For part of that period four of Louisiana's parishes led the nation for counties with the most lynchings.

59beedbc6.jpg

Good thing that the south turned from Democrats, like Huey Long, bad times for all under democrat rule.

But Huey got a bridge named after him :confused:

Here's what a lot of you guys skip over.

A&E really had to suspend Robertson, because they really didn't know what else is out there.

They've already uncovered one tape of him making dumb comments in 2010. There will no doubt be others. Because now people are looking for them.

Yeah, because some people have nothing better to do than go through tapes for dumb comments because he said something about homosexuals he must be DESTROYED

Dear gawd shallow and petty

No, just a simple reality. He's made his homophobia an issue.

A&E/Disney has to make a choice. Do we double down on the HOmophobe and anything else he might have said, or do we cut our losses and see how this plays out.

Again, it's a BUSINESS decision. Which you wingnuts are usually all for when it's average working folks getting the shitty end of that stick.

Patterson is going to be FINE. He's made plenty of money and his duck call business is probably going to be okay as well.

believing that homosexuality is an abnormal human condition is not a phobia---it is a belief based on religious teachings and biology.

[

oooooooooo, his homophobia
like it's any of your all's business if he is
Crap like this is causing MORE people to disapprove of homosexuals and you all have a hand in it...you think you're being honorable in holding them up like they are special...think again I think people are sick of it

No, his Homophobia is entirely his business.

And Disney/A&E's business is to appeal to the widest possible audience. WHich is why it got the hell out of the Talk Radio business at the first oppurtunity.

They just wanted to do this cute show about duck hunters. They didn't want to do a show about having to rationalize which bits of 3000 year old superstition you use to rationalize hate.

Come on, this is Flippin' Disney, a company that decided to give "The Jungle Book" and the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" happy endings and happy songs. (Seriously, Rudyard Kipling and Victor Hugo are turning in their graves!)

Live by the mouse, die by the mouse.

Mickey-Mouse-Face4.png

A&E can make any business decision it wants to including losing a fortune on the show. If they wanted to end the show, the contract ends in another year, they could have just not renewed. Did they really believe that the family would continue the show without Phil? Seriously? How utterly STUPID! Of course it was stupid to let Phil answer those questions anyway. Especially since A&E knew about it in advance and had their own representative at the interview.

The family knows they were set up. It was designed to put them all in their place and stop all this God and guns stuff the network had to put up with.

[

believing that homosexuality is an abnormal human condition is not a phobia---it is a belief based on religious teachings and biology.

Okay, let's eviserate this stupidity.

First, homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom. When a male dog humps another male dog, all the other dogs don't whip out bibles and start calling the dog nasty names. So, sorry, Science and Biology give your homophobia no solace. nature just doesn't give a flip about your hangups.

So that leaves you with "religious teachings".

Okay. Religious teachings say "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live". And for centuries, they burned women and sometimes men for "witchcraft", which could be anything from acting a bit odd to knowing what herbs and roots made good medical treatments. And then someone finally figured out, "Geezus, this is the 18th century! There are no freakin' witches."

At least in the advanced world. There are third world countries where they still kill women for being witches. Heck, Sarah Palin's church even invited a witch-hunter to speak.

Slavery, Genocide, genital mutilation, all these things have been justified as "religious teachings" at some point. And thankfully, sane, rational people reject them today.

So do you really have an argument against homosexuality other than "I think it's icky." ?

A&E can make any business decision it wants to including losing a fortune on the show. If they wanted to end the show, the contract ends in another year, they could have just not renewed. Did they really believe that the family would continue the show without Phil? Seriously? How utterly STUPID! Of course it was stupid to let Phil answer those questions anyway. Especially since A&E knew about it in advance and had their own representative at the interview.

The family knows they were set up. It was designed to put them all in their place and stop all this God and guns stuff the network had to put up with.

That would be fine if the Robertson's really were the dumb-ass rednecks they play on TV.

But Phil isn't a stupid man. He's got a master's in education and he runs a multi-million dollar business.

He's not a redneck, he just plays one on TV.

He saw an oppurtunity to promote his homophobic beliefs and he took it. His ego got larger than life.

[

Okay, let's eviserate this stupidity.

First, homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom. When a male dog humps another male dog, all the other dogs don't whip out bibles and start calling the dog nasty names. So, sorry, Science and Biology give your homophobia no solace. nature just doesn't give a flip about your hangups.

So that leaves you with "religious teachings".

Okay. Religious teachings say "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live". And for centuries, they burned women and sometimes men for "witchcraft", which could be anything from acting a bit odd to knowing what herbs and roots made good medical treatments. And then someone finally figured out, "Geezus, this is the 18th century! There are no freakin' witches."

At least in the advanced world. There are third world countries where they still kill women for being witches. Heck, Sarah Palin's church even invited a witch-hunter to speak.

Slavery, Genocide, genital mutilation, all these things have been justified as "religious teachings" at some point. And thankfully, sane, rational people reject them today.

So do you really have an argument against homosexuality other than "I think it's icky." ?

nice try, but NOPE.

male dogs do not exclusively hump other male dogs, if a female in heat shows up they will all jump her. Dogs also hump human legs--male and female, what does that make them? AC/DC?

comparing homosexuality to genocide and genital mutilation is just stupid, but considering the source ----------

That would be fine if the Robertson's really were the dumb-ass rednecks they play on TV.

But Phil isn't a stupid man. He's got a master's in education and he runs a multi-million dollar business.

He's not a redneck, he just plays one on TV.

He saw an oppurtunity to promote his homophobic beliefs and he took it. His ego got larger than life.

Sure its an act, its a created persona to make money. But that does not mean that they are insincere in their beliefs.

And you think he cares...why, Joey? He sure as hell doesn't need the money...and if anything, this will HELP his business.

Oh, I don't think so at all.

You might get a spate of homophobes buying his gear for a week or two, but in the long run, stores that don't want the controversy are going to take his stuff off the shelves and the show will probably wind down.

Gay folk are gay folk because they fall in love with folk of the same sex.
I never chose to be straight. Choice means one has to contemplate and compare all their available choices and then make a decision.
Only a dumbass believes that is how all gay folk turned out to fall in love with folk of the same sex and how all straight folk turned out to fall in love with folk of the opposite sex.

And you think he cares...why, Joey? He sure as hell doesn't need the money...and if anything, this will HELP his business.

You might get a spate of homophobes buying his gear for a week or two, but in the long run, stores that don't want the controversy are going to take his stuff off the shelves and the show will probably wind down.

duck dynasty stuff is selling faster than ever. you haters have made them even richer.

have you heard the expression "crazy like a fox"? Robertson won, you fools lost :lol:

If Phil Robertson was sincere in his beliefs he would have told A & E TO GO FUCK THEMSELVES or something a little more civil similar to that with the same message.
Instead where is he?
Hiding out and doing as he is/was told.
Fine with me but he is not participating in this pity party that "Phil was wronged" Bull Shit Parade.

duck dynasty stuff is selling faster than ever. you haters have made them even richer.

have you heard the expression "crazy like a fox"? Robertson won, you fools lost :lol:

I am no hater. I get no satisfaction out of some media portraying Robertson as a bigot and a racist homophobe.
I was the first to coin the phrase "George Zimmerman with a ZZ Top beard" as the way media falsely portrays him
But he is no saint in all this. He has wimped out and gone into hiding.
Because his beliefs take a back seat to CASH.
And I do not fault him for that either.
But that is a fact.

Phil answered a question in a frank, unsophisticated, non intellectual, non philosophical, blunt and plain way. Obabble would never have done that. At least we know where Phil stands...Obabble...not so much.

Gay folk are gay folk because they fall in love with folk of the same sex.
I never chose to be straight. Choice means one has to contemplate and compare all their available choices and then make a decision.
Only a dumbass believes that is how all gay folk turned out to fall in love with folk of the same sex and how all straight folk turned out to fall in love with folk of the opposite sex.

thats one theory on it. there are others who see it as a choice that is made. if a person is unable to make a heterosexual connection, its easier to find a homosexual connection. Ever notice that the vast majority of lesbians are unattractive?

But having said that, I strongly believe that gay couples should have equal rights and that they should be able to make a legal commitment to each other.

Forum List

Back