Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

I grew up in the pre civil rights era. YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/phil-robertsons-america/282555/

And I am also sure that very few black people approached Robertson to complain about "doggone white people."

I have some idea why:

The corpse of 16-year-old Freddie Moore, his face showing signs of a severe beating, hands bound, remained hanging for at least 24 hours from a metal girder on the old, hand-cranked swing bridge spanning Bayou Lafourche.

Hanged by the neck the night of Oct. 11, 1933, in a mob lynching, the black youth had been accused in the death of a neighbor, a white girl ...

Arrested Oct. 10, 1933, in the slaying days earlier of Anna Mae LaRose, a 15-year-old girl who was his friend, Moore was pulled from the parish jail in Napoleonville the next night by an angry mob of 50 to 200 armed and unmasked people who had the prison keys.

Some accounts say the lynchers were unknown and from out of town, as far away as New Orleans, while others say the mob was known to authorities. A coroner’s jury, impaneled by then-parish Coroner Dr. T.B. Pugh, said Moore “met death by a mob of unknown persons,” according to news accounts.

After being hauled from the jail, Moore was brought to the field where LaRose’s body was found, according to an Oct. 14, 1933, account in the black-owned New Orleans newspaper, The Louisiana Weekly. With a rope around his neck and clothes stripped to his waist, the teen was then marched, while being beaten, from the murder scene to the bridge and subjected to a branding iron whenever he fell.

Hanging from his body, a sign offered the final indignity: “******* Let This Be An Example. Do-Not-Touch-In 24 Hr. Mean it.”

As white people reviewed the scene on the bridge and black residents were warned to stay away, Moore’s body remained within sight of a school and the venerable St. Philomena Catholic Church, its spire above the fray.

One should not be lulled into thinking that the murder of Freddie Moore was out of the ordinary in Louisiana. Between 1882 and 1936, only Georgia, Texas and Mississippi saw more black people lynched. For part of that period four of Louisiana's parishes led the nation for counties with the most lynchings.

59beedbc6.jpg

I grew up in the pre civil rights era. YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.

Phil Robertson's America - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

And I am also sure that very few black people approached Robertson to complain about "doggone white people."

I have some idea why:

The corpse of 16-year-old Freddie Moore, his face showing signs of a severe beating, hands bound, remained hanging for at least 24 hours from a metal girder on the old, hand-cranked swing bridge spanning Bayou Lafourche.

Hanged by the neck the night of Oct. 11, 1933, in a mob lynching, the black youth had been accused in the death of a neighbor, a white girl ...

Arrested Oct. 10, 1933, in the slaying days earlier of Anna Mae LaRose, a 15-year-old girl who was his friend, Moore was pulled from the parish jail in Napoleonville the next night by an angry mob of 50 to 200 armed and unmasked people who had the prison keys.

Some accounts say the lynchers were unknown and from out of town, as far away as New Orleans, while others say the mob was known to authorities. A coroner’s jury, impaneled by then-parish Coroner Dr. T.B. Pugh, said Moore “met death by a mob of unknown persons,” according to news accounts.

After being hauled from the jail, Moore was brought to the field where LaRose’s body was found, according to an Oct. 14, 1933, account in the black-owned New Orleans newspaper, The Louisiana Weekly. With a rope around his neck and clothes stripped to his waist, the teen was then marched, while being beaten, from the murder scene to the bridge and subjected to a branding iron whenever he fell.

Hanging from his body, a sign offered the final indignity: “******* Let This Be An Example. Do-Not-Touch-In 24 Hr. Mean it.”

As white people reviewed the scene on the bridge and black residents were warned to stay away, Moore’s body remained within sight of a school and the venerable St. Philomena Catholic Church, its spire above the fray.

One should not be lulled into thinking that the murder of Freddie Moore was out of the ordinary in Louisiana. Between 1882 and 1936, only Georgia, Texas and Mississippi saw more black people lynched. For part of that period four of Louisiana's parishes led the nation for counties with the most lynchings.

59beedbc6.jpg

WTF does any of that have to do with sponsors that run ads on A & E complaining about Robertson?

I have some idea why:

59beedbc6.jpg

WTF does any of that have to do with sponsors that run ads on A & E complaining about Robertson?

Where did Katzndogz mention any of that in the post I replied to???

I have some idea why:

59beedbc6.jpg

Does GaDawg look like Katz to you?

???

Read the quote areas. Ed was replying to Katz, not Dawg.

(Katz, not Dawg, hee hee :lol: )

Dawg jumped in without reading who the reply was to. So did you.
Is this site really that hard to navigate?

Last edited:

???

Read the quote areas. Ed was replying to Katz, not Dawg.

(Katz, not Dawg, hee hee :lol: )

Dawg jumped in without reading who the reply was to. So did you.
Is this site really that hard to navigate?

Yeah, especially when you're dozing off. I need to go to bed. But I do remember cynic responding to GaDawg's question with a question. Oh well.

You know, though; if it were not for Phil and others like him, I never would have realized blacks enjoyed the old south back in the day.

Just because they were not singing the blues does not mean that they enjoyed the Jim Crow laws.

What he was talking about was, before pre entitlement and pre welfare, black Men took responsibility. They got married, they had children and they worked hard jobs.

Not like they are now, where black Men do not take responsibility for being fathers.

You know, though; if it were not for Phil and others like him, I never would have realized blacks enjoyed the old south back in the day.

Just because they were not singing the blues does not mean that they enjoyed the Jim Crow laws.

What he was talking about was, before pre entitlement and pre welfare, black Men took responsibility. They got married, they had children and they worked hard jobs.

Not like they are now, where black Men do not take responsibility for being fathers.

Some do, some don't - just as in the white community.

I have some idea why:

59beedbc6.jpg

Good thing that the south turned from Democrats, like Huey Long, bad times for all under democrat rule.

I have some idea why:

59beedbc6.jpg

Good thing that the south turned from Democrats, like Huey Long, bad times for all under democrat rule.
And George Wallace...

And their lives were solidly grounded in the Churches.

Here's what a lot of you guys skip over.

A&E really had to suspend Robertson, because they really didn't know what else is out there.

They've already uncovered one tape of him making dumb comments in 2010. There will no doubt be others. Because now people are looking for them.

A&E really had to suspend Robertson, because they really didn't know what else is out there.

They've already uncovered one tape of him making dumb comments in 2010. There will no doubt be others. Because now people are looking for them.

Yeah, because some people have nothing better to do than go through tapes for dumb comments because he said something about homosexuals he must be DESTROYED

Dear gawd shallow and petty

Of course they knew. Did someone keep them in a closet? They couldn't go to a church and see Robertson at the pulpit speaking as a Church Elder? Of course they knew. They just thought they could control him. They couldn't.

And their lives were solidly grounded in the Churches.

The article had to go back to 1933 too.

If you want to weigh lose of life to lose of life, there's more death today than at the very height of slavery and the days of the most entrenched jim crow. Having black murderers does not make those 5 year olds not dead.

Yeah, because some people have nothing better to do than go through tapes for dumb comments because he said something about homosexuals he must be DESTROYED

No, just a simple reality. He's made his homophobia an issue.

A&E/Disney has to make a choice. Do we double down on the HOmophobe and anything else he might have said, or do we cut our losses and see how this plays out.

Again, it's a BUSINESS decision. Which you wingnuts are usually all for when it's average working folks getting the shitty end of that stick.

Patterson is going to be FINE. He's made plenty of money and his duck call business is probably going to be okay as well.

No, just a simple reality. He's made his homophobia an issue.

A&E/Disney has to make a choice. Do we double down on the HOmophobe and anything else he might have said, or do we cut our losses and see how this plays out.

Again, it's a BUSINESS decision. Which you wingnuts are usually all for when it's average working folks getting the shitty end of that stick.

Patterson is going to be FINE. He's made plenty of money and his duck call business is probably going to be okay as well.

oooooooooo, his homophobia
like it's any of your all's business if he is
Crap like this is causing MORE people to disapprove of homosexuals and you all have a hand in it...you think you're being honorable in holding them up like they are special...think again I think people are sick of it

Last edited:
How many of you were born and raised in the deep south?

I was (Ga, Fla, MS, La), but I have also lived in the northeast (mass), the west coast (Ca), the mountain west(Co), the mid west (Mi), and europe (UK).

there are genuine people everywhere, there are assholes everywhere. In general, the culture of the south is more independent, self sufficient, and against govt intrusion. The Robertsons (or the persona they have created) is more extreme than the average southerner.

Forum List

Back