'Full Metal Jacket' actor Gunny R. Lee Ermey Dies

FMJ was a very anti military movie.

His role in it was very entertaining but it was a big slam on the military and the Marine Corps.
It was a decidedly anti-war movie.

His role was nothing but reality.

The military MUST create killers. Lessons learned from WWII about the need to shut off a man's instinct to preserve life were applied in Vietnam. Those without the mental stability to act rationally should be weeded out. Pvt. Pyle (Lawrence) was one of them.

It illustrates one of the serious failures of the military during Vietnam, the ignored mental health issues of servicemen.

My father never got any mental health treatment after he returned from Vietnam. He suffered from PTSD for decades after. When I was younger, he was really bad. The worst was when he had bad dreams.

Back in the 80s (at least 10 years after his tour), we stayed at my uncle's house, which was near an Army base that had Hueys flying overhead all night while we were sleeping. That was one of the worst nightmares I have ever seen anyone experience before and since. It took us several minutes to calm him down after he was up and about.

The military FAILED to treat the mental health issues war caused.

To the extent Full Metal Jacket is anti-war and critical of the military on mental health issues, I have no problem with that message.

I understand that war is necessary at times, but I don't think I want to know someone who is NOT anti-war (Marines and Infantrymen notwithstanding. I want them to lust for war while they are serving because I want them to win when the time comes).

Private Pyle, I'm going to give you three seconds - EXACTLY THREE FUCKING SECONDS - to wipe that disgusting grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and SKULL-FUCK YOU!!!

Full Metal Jacket, one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember when he went off on some unhinged rant against Pres. Obama (can't remember if it was birtherism or some other nonsense) and he was promptly dropped as a spokesperson for GEICO.

A one dimensional actor, but he was great in that dimension.

FMJ was a very anti military movie.

His role in it was very entertaining but it was a big slam on the military and the Marine Corps.

Don't tell the gun nuts that. They just like hearing an obnoxious person yell insulting things. It's why they voted for Trump.

I have never understood the fascination with FMJ from my fellow Conservatives.

The movie was vile anti military and an embarrassment to the Marine Corps and anybody who had ever served in the military.

Left wing filth.

Not only should Ermey be ashamed of himself by being in the movie but he also played a queer in another movie.

Of course he redeemed himself when he became an NRA Board member, a Glock spokesman and lambasted that worthless piece of shit Obama and Crooked Hillary.

Well, Kubrick movies have always had an ambiguous, mysterious message/subtext that people always interpret various ways. I thought of FMJ as a detached examination of how war affects different people. As opposed to being blatantly anti-war. If anything, it made me respect the Marine Corp even more because I saw the fierce training they go through, so I don't believe it was intended as an insult against Marines.

No matter how necessary, war is never a pretty thing. It would be dishonest for a movie to portray any war in a joyous, desirable manner.

Perhaps the greatest filmmaker of all time was Stanley Kubrick. You want to see an amazing anti-war film? Check out Paths of Glory starring Kirk Douglas as Colonel Dax. An amazing film about bumbling incompetence and how it affects the lives of men, this time in the trenches of WWI. Col. Dax was not one of the incompetent French Generals, however, and found himself in the middle of these men and their decisions, men far from the front lines, who had little or no regard for their lives. You won't see actors in Hollywood like Kirk Douglas anymore. A Tour de Force.

He was amazing!

I know this would have put a smile on his face! (((RIP Gunny)))

Loved him on 'Mail Call'. He was one hell of a Second Amendment and NRA advocate.

AJLlDp1bi3t4Liwn6FwWT7uExn20ASc2EcG0u_0xoA=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

R. Lee Ermey, ‘Full Metal Jacket’ Golden Globe Nominee, Dies at 74

Yup he was one tough guy and I loved him when he appeared in a movie.

Loved him on 'Mail Call'. He was one hell of a Second Amendment and NRA advocate.

He was an actor. I'll bet you think John Wayne was really a cowboy, and Christopher Reeve could really fly, don't you?

He was a Marine above all else. You have no idea what you're talking about ...as usual

He was an actor. I'll bet you think John Wayne was really a cowboy, and Christopher Reeve could really fly, don't you?

He was a Marine above all else. You have no idea what you're talking about ...as usual

Do you have the same reverence for all marines, or just the RWNJ heros?
upload_2018-4-17_6-8-10.png

View attachment 188544
only a leftist would bring hate into such a thread.

you simply prove my point

View attachment 188544
only a leftist would bring hate into such a thread.

you simply prove my point

Hate? What hate?

View attachment 188544

No I don't. Some handle themselves well after leaving the Marines...others become ranting, hate filled racists.....you know, your type

View attachment 188544

No I don't. Some handle themselves well after leaving the Marines...others become ranting, hate filled racists.....you know, your type

So the fact that he was a marine isn't what you liked about him. That's what I thought.

View attachment 188544

I remember one other non-serving "EXPERT" on the military and military members who used to post here............joined in March 2009.....supposedly hasn't posted in a while......supposedly. Always posting expert advice about the military and military members....

Forum List

Back