Furious South Koreans Blast ‘Ignorant’ Trump For ‘Distortion Of History’

Dude, you do realize that you are [rather mindlessly] arguing that a leader who is proud of his heritage did not mention the illustrious dynasties of his heritage while giving a history lesson, right?

If you can get your hands on a history book from China we can answer the question of what they teach about Chinese history. I only have [possible] access to one from S. Korea schools [if I can get ahold of my buddy stationed over there,] but I think I can toss a few bucks to someone on my production staff to translate said history book if you can find one.

Trump had said “Korea actually used to be a part of China.”

Many in South Korea are steamed at President Donald Trump for saying their nation was once “part of China.”

Trump told The Wall Street Journal that Chinese President Xi Jinping gave him a history lesson during their meeting earlier this month, which gave him a new appreciation of the difficulties of defusing the situation in North Korea.

“And, you know, you’re talking about thousands of years ... and many wars,” Trump was quoted as saying April 12. “And Korea actually used to be a part of China. And after listening for 10 minutes, I realized that it’s not so easy.”

But South Koreans say their nation was never part of China.

Arirang News, in the video above, called Trump’s remarks “ignorant” and quoted a government official as saying the comments are “clearly not true and not even worthy of response.”

The nation’s politicians are also making it clear what they think of the American president’s comments.

“The 50 million South Koreans, as well as many common-sensical people around the world, cannot help but feel embarrassed and shocked,” Youn Kwan-suk, spokesman of the main opposition Democratic Party, told The New York Times.

“This is clearly a distortion of history and an invasion of the Republic of Korea’s sovereignty,” Hong Joon-pyo, a conservative Liberal Korea Party candidate, said through a spokesman, according to The Hill.

“It’s a clear fact acknowledged by the international community that, for thousands of years in history, Korea has never been part of China,” foreign ministry spokesman Cho June-hyuck said at a briefing, according to Korea JoongAng Daily.

More: Furious South Koreans Blast ‘Ignorant’ Trump For ‘Distortion Of History’

It is so embarrassing to have such an idiot in the White House. Can we survive his lackadaisical and lethargic on-the-job training? Actually, I don't think Trump gives a shit - other than trying to make money off the presidency.

They were part of China if you look at all their history. They haven't been during the modern era, but historically they were. But let's not let little things like facts get in the way of a good Trump bashing story.

Trump did not simply blurt out that Korea was once part of China. Trump merely quoted what he was told by the President of China.

“Last week, US President Donald Trump said that he had received a 10-minute Chinese-Korean history lesson from Chinese President Xi Jinping during their first meeting at his Mar-a-Lago resort earlier this month which made him come to the startling realization that the current North Korean crisis is "not so easy." Apparently though, the lecture also left Trump with a shaky and inflammatory grasp on the region's history.

"[Xi] then went into the history of China and Korea. Not North Korea, Korea. And you know, you’re talking about thousands of years …and many wars. And Korea actually used to be a part of China," Trump told the Wall Street Journal last week just before he made his infamous "not so easy" remark.

Trump angers Koreans by saying Korea 'used to be part of China' following history lesson from Xi

It appears that the Chinese President knows a little more about Korean/Chinese history than some of Trumps critics. As it turns out Korea, or at least parts of it, were in fact under Chinese rule a long time ago. The link cited above also provides the following:

“While the history of relations between China and Korea is complicated, including a number of wars and invasions, Koreans generally bristle at the thought that they were ever part of China. For centuries, Korea was part of China's tributary system, paying for protection from its giant neighbor, just like many other kingdoms including Vietnam and Thailand. But parts of Korea were very rarely under anything resembling direct Chinese control -- the notable exceptions being when the Han dynasty set up four "commanderies" in the northern part of Korea in the second century BC and when both were put under Mongol rule in the 13th century AD.”

Another site asks the question: “Was Korea ever part of China?” The answer is complicated but it does appear that at least portions of Korea were part of China for a prolonged period.

“Short answer is a no. More nuanced and subjective answer is a yes, for about 50 years after Mongols subdued Goryeo kingdom. This is subjective because Korea did still have nominal king and he did have absolute authority on Korean peninsula - but this king was almost more a part of Yuan court than an independent king - they were all married into Yuan imperial princesses and even grew up in Yuan court in many cases. Mongols of course aren’t exactly Chinese, so that’s why it’s subjective, if you’re a Chinese person of Mongol descent then the answer is a yes, sort of.

The whole of peninsula was never a part of China. Northern part of Korea was part of Han dynasty for roughly 200 years. Han Wudi conquered the northern Korea and parts of Manchuria and set up four commandaries, which is similar to colonial administration” (highlights my own).

https://www.quora.com/Was-Korea-ever-part-of-China

CONCLUSION: Trump was merely saying what the Chinese President told him. Was Trump stupid for relying on what he was told? I don't see it that way. The President of China would be expected to know a lot about the history of his own country and would be considered to be a valuable source of information. I don't consider this to be a major screw up by Trump. I think it was far worse when Obama said Jacksonville, Florida; Savannah, Georgia; and Charleston, South Carolina were in the Gulf of Mexico.

Dude, you do realize that you are [rather mindlessly] arguing that a leader who is proud of his heritage did not mention the illustrious dynasties of his heritage while giving a history lesson, right?

If you can get your hands on a history book from China we can answer the question of what they teach about Chinese history. I only have [possible] access to one from S. Korea schools [if I can get ahold of my buddy stationed over there,] but I think I can toss a few bucks to someone on my production staff to translate said history book if you can find one.
China just has alternative facts then right? Just as good

CONCLUSION: Trump was merely saying what the Chinese President told him. Was Trump stupid for relying on what he was told? I don't see it that way. The President of China would be expected to know a lot about the history of his own country and would be considered to be a valuable source of information. I don't consider this to be a major screw up by Trump. I think it was far worse when Obama said Jacksonville, Florida; Savannah, Georgia; and Charleston, South Carolina were in the Gulf of Mexico.
He's just an idiot who talks out of his ass.

Trump did not simply blurt out that Korea was once part of China. Trump merely quoted what he was told by the President of China.

“Last week, US President Donald Trump said that he had received a 10-minute Chinese-Korean history lesson from Chinese President Xi Jinping during their first meeting at his Mar-a-Lago resort earlier this month which made him come to the startling realization that the current North Korean crisis is "not so easy." Apparently though, the lecture also left Trump with a shaky and inflammatory grasp on the region's history.

"[Xi] then went into the history of China and Korea. Not North Korea, Korea. And you know, you’re talking about thousands of years …and many wars. And Korea actually used to be a part of China," Trump told the Wall Street Journal last week just before he made his infamous "not so easy" remark.

Trump angers Koreans by saying Korea 'used to be part of China' following history lesson from Xi

It appears that the Chinese President knows a little more about Korean/Chinese history than some of Trumps critics. As it turns out Korea, or at least parts of it, were in fact under Chinese rule a long time ago. The link cited above also provides the following:

“While the history of relations between China and Korea is complicated, including a number of wars and invasions, Koreans generally bristle at the thought that they were ever part of China. For centuries, Korea was part of China's tributary system, paying for protection from its giant neighbor, just like many other kingdoms including Vietnam and Thailand. But parts of Korea were very rarely under anything resembling direct Chinese control -- the notable exceptions being when the Han dynasty set up four "commanderies" in the northern part of Korea in the second century BC and when both were put under Mongol rule in the 13th century AD.”

Another site asks the question: “Was Korea ever part of China?” The answer is complicated but it does appear that at least portions of Korea were part of China for a prolonged period.

“Short answer is a no. More nuanced and subjective answer is a yes, for about 50 years after Mongols subdued Goryeo kingdom. This is subjective because Korea did still have nominal king and he did have absolute authority on Korean peninsula - but this king was almost more a part of Yuan court than an independent king - they were all married into Yuan imperial princesses and even grew up in Yuan court in many cases. Mongols of course aren’t exactly Chinese, so that’s why it’s subjective, if you’re a Chinese person of Mongol descent then the answer is a yes, sort of.

The whole of peninsula was never a part of China. Northern part of Korea was part of Han dynasty for roughly 200 years. Han Wudi conquered the northern Korea and parts of Manchuria and set up four commandaries, which is similar to colonial administration” (highlights my own).

Yeah, like China also claims the South China Sea.

Which is why territorialist claims like "Korea used to be part of China" are extremely dangerous if they were coming from someone other than the rented clown doll that is Donald Trump.

"Crimea used to be part of Russia" "Golan heights used to be part of Syria" "Greece used to be part of Turkey" "Kashmir used to be part of India" "Poland used to be part of Germany" These words from a real world leader would border on an act of war.... but luckily its just clown boy and we all just need to be reminded of that

Yes, but ya know basic shit like the leader of a nation giving a 'true' history accounting doesn't really fall into my 'no way that happened' pile. I'm rather surprised it does for anyone frankly.

Yes, but ya know basic shit like the leader of a nation giving a 'true' history accounting doesn't really fall into my 'no way that happened' pile. I'm rather surprised it does for anyone frankly.
Trump is the true leader of China already? Did he say that as well?

I suggest you're a little bit off course here. No one was talking about China's present territorial claims which are in dispute. Instead, we were discussing ancient Chinese and Korean history as it was recorded by multiple independent and reliable sources. I hope you're not suggesting that the history of the relationship between China and Korea was a complete fabrication. That would be rather foolish since many historians have no allegiance to China and no vested interest in favoring that country. There really are people who report things truthfully and accurately. If you seek them, you will find them.

CONCLUSION: I am convinced that portions of Korea were part of China a long time ago since historians seem to be in agreement on that issue. If the historians are wrong, say so and offer some evidence in support of your position. The mere fact that China may be lying about Her right to land in the South China Sea does not constitute proof of any kind that those who impartially recorded her history are also lying. You should know that.

Now, I am done with the delightful and entertaining ignorance of this thread and will leave each and all to fight among yourselves.

I'm outta here.

maybe trump meant to say Japan and just got confused

634px-Korea_map_1939.svg.png

asians look alot alike to an old guy like Trump

Forum List

Back