Gabby Giffords Asks, ‘Is it Safe To Send Our Kids To School?’

What can the U.S. learn from Norway's gun laws?
Daniel Ofman, GlobalPost Published 11:22 a.m. ET June 17, 2016 | Updated 11:24 a.m. ET June 17, 2016

Nearly five year ago, Anders Breivik carried out two attacks in Norway, taking 77 lives.
Breivik's massacre began on July 22, 2011, with a car bomb in Oslo that killed eight people. Later that day, using a semi-automatic rifle, he went on a shooting rampage on the island of Utoya, killing another 69 people, most of whom were young campers.
How did Norway react? And does it offer any lessons for the U.S. — a nation that has once again been devastated by a mass shooting?
Åsne Seierstad, a Norwegian journalist and the author of "One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway," says some of the discussions people had in Norway after Breivik’s attacks mirror the ones that Americans are having after the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando.
“The main question we asked ourselves is, ‘Is he madman, or is he a political terrorist?’” Seierstad says. “Those are two different things.”
Oslo District Court ruled that Anders Breivik was political terrorist and sentenced him to the maximum prison term allowable in Norway: 21 years in prison, with the possibility of an extension. The court found that Breivik was sane and responsible for the 77 murders, even though he had been diagnosed with a mental illness.
“He got the diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder, but that doesn’t exempt you from being punished,” Seierstad explains. “You’re still accountable for your crime. You know what you did, you knew you had a choice, you knew you could stop.”
Since Breivik's attacks, the country hasn’t faced any mass shootings — something that can't be said about the U.S.
Like Americans, many Norwegians own guns. But according to Seierstad, the culture of gun ownership is very different in the two countries. In Norway, for example, it's uncommon to see guns outside organized settings like gun clubs or during hunting season.
“Yes, there’s a high percentage of gun ownership in Norway," she says, "but those guns are used mainly one week in the year during the hunting of elk season ... the rest of the year it’s locked down and stored.”
Even US and Norwegian law enforcement have different approaches to firearms.
"The police has not been armed in Norway,” Seierstad says. “People in the U.S. could say, ‘Well, isn’t that scary?’ Well when the police is not armed, the drug dealer is not armed, the criminals are not armed, because no one is armed.”
After Orlando, Americans and U.S. lawmakers are arguing over whether to strengthen (or even weaken) gun regulations. But after the attacks in Oslo and Utoya, Norwegian law didn't change.
The Norwegian government did set up a committee that proposed tighter gun laws — including mandatory medical background checks, regular checks on weapon owners and better lists accounting for guns with lead ammunition — but none of these proposals went into effect.
Why? The reason was pretty simple.
“We had quite restrictive laws,” Seierstad explains. "We have very very few gun accidents and gun murders.”

They have a different culture and yet that still didn't save them.......they have imported violent 3rd world males into Norway and their violence rates are going up......

The ACLU pushed to have those repealed....and it wasn't for nuts like the guy in Florida...it was for normal people who had trouble balancing their check book...doofus...

Gun Control Laws Should Be Fair

But gun control laws, like any law, should be fair, effective and not based on prejudice or stereotype. This rule met none of those criteria.

In this era of “alternative facts,” we must urge politicians to create laws based on reliable evidence and solid data.

The thousands of Americans whose disability benefits are managed by someone else range from young people with depression and financial inexperience to older adults with Down syndrome needing help with a limited budget. But no data — none — show that these individuals have a propensity for violence in general or gun violence in particular.

To the contrary, studies show that people with mental disabilities are less likely to commit firearm crimes than to be the victimsof violence by others.

--------------------------
The ACLU and 23 national disability groups did not oppose this rule because we want more guns in our community.

This is about more than guns.

Adding more innocent Americans to the National Instant Criminal Background database because of a mental disability is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership. We opposed it because it would do little to stem gun violence but do much to harm our civil rights.

5a84df812100003800601441.jpeg

The former congresswoman, who was wounded in 2011, tweets in the wake of the Florida shooting that “American voters must” take action.

Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords has begged for politicians to take action on the “gun violence epidemic” in the wake of the Florida school shooting on Wednesday, calling on voters, in an emotional tweet storm, to act to force change.

Giffords, who represented Arizona’s 8th District from 2007 to 2012, was shot in the head in an assassination attempt at an event north of Tucson in 2011. She was left with extensive injuries. Six people were killed and 13 others were wounded in the shooting.

She and her husband, Mark Kelly, have been prominent voices for gun control since that 2011 shooting. In the wake of the Las Vegas Strip shooting last October, Kelly said that, “until we seriously accept this — and the people in that building [the Capitol] accept this — as a serious public health crisis, we will have other mass shootings like this.”

On Wednesday, as authorities confirmed at least 17 people had died in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, northwest of Fort Lauderdale, Giffords posted a series of tweets calling for politicians to reform America’s gun laws.

In her tweets, Giffords took aim at “defenders of the status quo” in politics and the firearm industry who attempt to blame such mass shootings on factors besides the availability of guns. She said that it was possible to prevent future tragedies occurring, criticizing politicians who “vote against our safety.”

More: Gabby Giffords Asks, ‘Is it Safe To Send Our Kids To School?’

Good question. I don't know. Does anyone have an answer? Most parents can't or won't homeschool, plus kids need the social interaction that comes from organized schools. I'm sure we can all agree that we want school children to be safe.

Bull shit. The direct quote went like this, “Derp, Derp, I like tater tots, derp“.

The school shooting. We will have gun enthusiasts tell us laws or laws would not have prevented the shooting. We will have congressmen say it is not the time for political action (Ryan). Thus, nothing will get done and we will have another school shooting. Repeat, repeat, and repeat. There will be posts defending guns as the students could have been victims with knives or cars. Given a choice, I'll go with the car or the knife over a gun.

we don't need new gun laws or gun bans we need to tell the people running the schools to lock the fucking doors and control who and what gets into the building

Why do you keep harping on this? Are you even aware of what security measures were in place at that high school? Didn't think so!

Many schools already do a good job in this area, but you cannot be perfectly secure and actually function as a school.

And we should do the same for churches? Night clubs? Concerts? And who will protect the police? Even they have been the victims of mass shootings.

Of course none of these things are a problem where there is strong gun control.

Why not?

Do you lock your doors? I sure as hell lock mine.

You have such a simple mind. Again some shooters go to school there. Others shoot open doors.

No weapon anyone can get can shoot open a steel door. Even if the door wasn't steel it takes time to shoot open a door (and you have yet to give me a link to where that actually happened ) and that time can be used to shelter students and call the cops .

All that needs to be done is to have all the kids who go to the school enter via assigned doors and their bags can be checked. Once everyone is inside lock the fucking doors.

No one get in who does not have a ligit reason to enter.

Still repeating the same claptrap. Second verse, same as the first.
YEah only a moron like you would think controlling access by locking doors is claptrap

What makes you think the doors are not locked, moron?

My point is you keep repeating the same ignorant statements over and over again!

The school where I am currently working locks EVERY door. If the students are accessing the building in the morning, it is manned, along with every other access point. My current assignment before school is to "guard the back door".

YEah only a moron like you would think controlling access by locking doors is claptrap

As with Colombine, you can have more than one student involved. And like in Florida the fire alarm was pulled, which meant the school doors were flung open.
And again both Columbine shooters walked into the school hours after the first bell and started shooting

And the guy in FL walked into the school before he pulled the fire alarm.

What do you think would have happened if these people could not just walk into a school any time of the day?

Columbine was nearly twenty years ago.

The likelyhood of getting the ar15 banned is slim, and even if they do, there are still many of them already in circulation. So, they are not going away any time soon.

Even if you ban the ar15, there are many other guns available. A 9mm pistol, and just carry 3 or 4 magazines in your pockets will accomplish nearly the same thing.

So, let's focus on what we can control. First, put metal detectors in the schools. Second, get rid of this gun free zone nonsense. Nothing says "target" like gaming a sign on your business that says "no guns allowed in here". I say train all the teachers on the use of firearms, then allow everyone who wants to be able to have one located in their room somewhere (location unknown to any of the students).

I ha e a feeling if you inform people that you have many of the teachers in the school with the capability to protect their students, combined with the metal detectors, your school mass shootings will reduce quite a lot, over night.

Same.goes with all of the gun free zones. Take away the perception that a would be killer can go in there and shoot up the place unhindered, I imagine you see those types of things get reduced.

You see, the issue is, you hope you never have to use that force, but, knowing it's there is deterrence.

Why most countries have hardly a gun problem?
The real question is - if you love those other nation so much how come you don’t renounce your citizenship and go live in those other nations? :dunno:

Did i say the US as a whole is bad? No ...gun violence is bad, ignorance too so why can't tackle those two issues without renouncing citizenships ?
Where is the logic there, Issa? Domestic violence is bad. Child molestation is bad. Cancer is bad. Failed left-wing policy is bad. I could literally name tens of thousands of things. So why is your focus on firearms?

Why don't any of the mass murderers use single-shot weapons?

DWCyrDDWkAAMHHa.jpg
Um....snowflake....those are “single-shot” weapons. :lmao:

If you pull the trigger on an AR-15 and never release it - one round will come out and one round only. A second round will never leave the gun.

Schools have become less safe as the Federal government has exerted more control over schools.

Coinkydink? I think not.

The federal government has almost zero control over schools except in paranoid minds.

You clearly have no idea how federal taxes are used to control local schools. Just ask a school psychologist who spends half of his or her time filling out federal paperwork for compliance.

Your second amendment rights do not give you the right to buy any arms you desire.......ever try to buy a machine gun or grenade launcher?
Want to bet? Why do you post such inaccurate nonsense all day, every day? I have one friend who legally purchased a fully-automatic Uzi with a silencer and another friend who legally purchased a Thompson sub-machine gun (spitting out wicked .45 rounds at an insane rate).

Machine guns are 100% legal in the U.S. as are grenade launchers, tanks, flame throwers, etc. All the stuff you uninformed, uneducated progressives claim are “illegal”.

Why don't any of the mass murderers use single-shot weapons?

DWCyrDDWkAAMHHa.jpg
Um....snowflake....those are “single-shot” weapons. :lmao:

If you pull the trigger on an AR-15 and never release it - one round will come out and one round only. A second round will never leave the gun.

Duh, then why are they called semi-auto?
Because the next round will automatically chamber for you due to the slide recoiling and the spring in the clip pushing up the next round. But you still have to release the trigger and pull it again to fire the next shot (unlike a fully-automatic which will keep spitting out rounds as long as you have the trigger held down).

We also have no way of reporting those who have serious mental issues and should not be armed
Now that is true, wrongwinger. And do you know we don’t have that? Because we aren’t a police-state (yet). We’re not North Korea or China. If that’s the type of “security” you are looking for - I suggest you move there.

So why did Trump sign an executive order to make it easier for those crazy people to get guns?
Because the 2nd Amendment is crystal clear...
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Barack Insane Obama’s “Presidential Memorandum” was completely illegal/unconstitutional. President Trump actually upholds and protects the U.S. Constitution as his oath dictates.

Forum List

Back