Gay Hairstylist Antonion Darden Refuses to Serve NM Governor For Anti Gay Views

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
In 2012 a gay hairstylist named Antiono Darden refused to cut New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez's hair, simply because she opposed gay marriage. Yep, you heard me right. But in that instance, it was okay to discriminate. This unheard of scenario has already played out with little to no fanfare. Gays were refusing Christians service because of their views on homosexuality long before Christians did the same to gays. I wish this hairstylist would have been forced to serve her despite his disapproval of her views, the Public Accommodation laws would have demanded it. This can only go to show the blatant hypocrisy shown by some on the subject of gay marriage.

New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez will never get the secret formula for her hair color, which was created just for her.

So says Antonio Darden of Antonio's Hair Studio in Sante Fe who made headlines when he let it be known he refused to cut Martinez's hair because of the GOP governor's opposition to same-sex marriage. He also seems to be dismissing Martinez's office's claim to The Huffington Post that he wasn't even her regular hairdresser.

"I colored and cut her hair, being a hair color educator for Macy’s," Darden said in an interview on my radio program on SiriusXM OutQ. "So it wasn’t just cutting her hair. It was the hair color that was also involved."

And he went on to explain that Martinez, whose office had called him the day following his refusal to cut her hair to see if he had changed his mind, won’t be getting the formula for the color from him.

"A lot of people think that the formula, when it’s made from a hair colorist, that it’s your right to have," he explained. “It isn’t. You came here for me to formulate and do your hair color. Normally I sell the formula to people if they want to go to a different salon that is cheaper. I normally give the formula to clients if they’re moving out of state because I care about my clients. But I would not give that formula to her."

Darden says that he's received enormous support in the form of calls, emails and postcards from around the world, as well as from locals who've walked into the salon to give him hugs. He also says other hairstylists and service workers in town are showing solidarity.

Antonio Darden, Susana Martinez's Former Hairstylist, On His Decision Not To Cut New Mexico Governor's Hair

Last edited:
1912373_10152631953905830_2067836440_n.jpg

Did she give Antonio a hand job....or has he already chopped off his schmekel?

LOL, of course the hairdresser will say "just kidding" very shortly but I know I could never resist to rub exclusionary bigotry in their pious fucking faces given the opportunity. Tit for tat is a valid political tool.

It's his right to refuse service.

Tell that to the Christian bakers and photographers who were forced to serve gays. Is it not their right to refuse service? Or does this simply apply to homosexual proprietors?

I guess she'll have a new haircut and different hair color. Good for Antonio Darden.

This is exactly what I mean. You cheer him on no problem, but excoriate the Christian owner who refuses service. How is that fair exactly?

LOL, of course the hairdresser will say "just kidding" very shortly but I know I could never resist to rub exclusionary bigotry in their pious fucking faces given the opportunity. Tit for tat is a valid political tool.

In this case, it's against the law.

Time for your medicine kids!

This story is a year old. So you just took being wrong to a whole new level...bless your heart

In this case, it's against the law.

Time for your medicine kids!

I'm something of an anarchist, don't much care about the law when it comes time to make a point by basically holding up a mirror. The assholes win when you follow the rules that they break with impunity.

This story is a year old. So you just took being wrong to a whole new level...bless your heart

Yep, this happened in 2012, and nobody. NOBODY raised hell over it. So, why wasn't Darden forced to serve her against HIS beliefs? Care to take a stab at that?

Why the silence? I thought you liberals especially would demand nothing but tolerance for other beliefs, but apparently for you, it depends on what views they are and who holds them. Geez.

That still doesn't change a thing. She wanted to put the issue to a vote, which means she still holds the beliefs that marriage is between a man and a woman. Constitutionally, yes gays have the right to marry; but this has nothing to do with why Antonio Darden got away with the same behavior that got Christian Bakers, Wedding Planners and Photographers sued and/or put out of business. When this hairstylist got away with discriminating against someone because of their views, it showed how hypocritical liberals are when it comes to the subject of tolerance.

Last edited:
I hope this hairstylist is forced to serve her despite his disapproval of her views, Public Accommodation laws demand it. This can only go to show the blatant hypocrisy shown by some on the subject of gay marriage.

Wrong again, as usual.

One of your fellow rightists, as ignorant of the law as you, already posted this.

And your thread, as with his, fails accordingly.

Public accommodations laws apply only to certain protected classes of persons, as in New Mexico:

…refuse to sell, rent, assign, lease or sublease or offer for sale, rental, lease, assignment or sublease any housing accommodation or real property to any person or to refuse to negotiate for the sale, rental, lease, assignment or sublease of any housing accommodation or real property to any person because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap, provided that the physical or mental handicap is unrelated to a person's ability to acquire or rent and maintain particular real property or housing accommodation…

Section 28-1-7 ? Unlawful discriminatory practice. :: Article 1 ? Human Rights, 28-1-1 through 28-1-15. :: Chapter 28 ? Human Rights. :: 2006 New Mexico Statutes :: New Mexico Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Consequently, the hair stylist has ‘violated’ no law, public accommodations or otherwise, and no ‘hypocrisy’ exists.

You and other social conservatives completely misunderstand the issue. The issue has nothing to do with your hatred of gays, religious liberty, or the myth of ‘liberal hypocrisy.’

The issue concerns the fact that public accommodations laws that prohibit discrimination against gay Americans are valid and Constitutional because they seek to protect local markets and all other interrelated markets. Because public accommodations laws’ primary focus and effect is to maintain the integrity of the markets, they in no way ‘violate’ religious liberty.

Your ignorance continues to cripple you.

Yep, this happened in 2012, and nobody. NOBODY raised hell over it. So, why wasn't Darden forced to serve her against HIS beliefs? Care to take a stab at that?

I haven't the foggiest, truth be told I was just admiring the hilarious chutzpah rather than worrying about particulars. Looking for something amusing among the somewhat scary and all too serious tension right now.

I hope this hairstylist is forced to serve her despite his disapproval of her views, Public Accommodation laws demand it. This can only go to show the blatant hypocrisy shown by some on the subject of gay marriage.

Sure, if she's brave enough to face him with a supply of hair color and scissors.

Forum List

Back