General Giap, Vietnam's master guerilla, dies aged 102

Both Kerry and Fonda were communist dupes....Jane sitting on an NVA AA gun and handing over a POW note to his captors. Kerry met with NVA officials in Paris while still in the Naval Reserve....a clear act of treason. Incidentally, Kerry disappeared from his Reserve duties, never fullfilling his committment and therefore a "deserter" more so than Bush ever was. Kerry was more duty-bound than Bush to complete his Reserves obligation since it got him out of Vietnam. Cheney had children...few if any with kids got drafted. Asshole.

:lol:

That's a pretty unique perspective.

A guy that actually spilled blood for this country is a "deserter"..

Glad the military didn't see it that way.

Kerry didn't spill very much blood.

Kerry Purple Heart Doc Speaks Out
The medical description of his first wound.

Some critics of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry have questioned the circumstances surrounding the first of three Purple Hearts Kerry won in Vietnam. Those critics, among them some of Kerry's fellow veterans, have suggested that a wound suffered by Kerry in December 1968 may have made him technically eligible for a Purple Heart but was not severe enough to warrant serious consideration, even for a decoration that was handed out by the thousands. Whatever the case, Kerry was awarded the Purple Heart, and, along with two others he won later, it allowed him to request to leave Vietnam before his tour of duty was finished.

Kerry was treated for the wound at a medical facility in Cam Ranh Bay. The doctor who treated Kerry, Louis Letson, is today a retired general practitioner in Alabama. Letson says he remembers his brief encounter with Kerry 35 years ago because "some of his crewmen related that Lt. Kerry had told them that he would be the next JFK from Massachusetts." Letson says that last year, as the Democratic campaign began to heat up, he told friends that he remembered treating one of the candidates many years ago. In response to their questions, Letson says, he wrote down his recollections of the time. (Letson says he has had no contacts with anyone from the Bush campaign or the Republican party.) What follows is Letson's memory, as he wrote it.

I have a very clear memory of an incident which occurred while I was the Medical Officer at Naval Support Facility, Cam Ranh Bay.
John Kerry was a (jg), the OinC or skipper of a Swift boat, newly arrived in Vietnam. On the night of December 2, he was on patrol north of Cam Ranh, up near Nha Trang area. The next day he came to sick bay, the medical facility, for treatment of a wound that had occurred that night.

The story he told was different from what his crewmen had to say about that night. According to Kerry, they had been engaged in a fire fight, receiving small arms fire from on shore. He said that his injury resulted from this enemy action.

Some of his crew confided that they did not receive any fire from shore, but that Kerry had fired a mortar round at close range to some rocks on shore. The crewman thought that the injury was caused by a fragment ricocheting from that mortar round when it struck the rocks.

That seemed to fit the injury which I treated.

What I saw was a small piece of metal sticking very superficially in the skin of Kerry's arm. The metal fragment measured about 1 cm. in length and was about 2 or 3 mm in diameter. It certainly did not look like a round from a rifle.

I simply removed the piece of metal by lifting it out of the skin with forceps. I doubt that it penetrated more than 3 or 4 mm. It did not require probing to find it, did not require any anesthesia to remove it, and did not require any sutures to close the wound.

The wound was covered with a bandaid.
Not [sic] other injuries were reported and I do not recall that there was any reported damage to the boat.

So goes the myth.

Shrapnel Remains in Kerry's Thigh - Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — John Kerry has a piece of shrapnel in his left thigh from an injury he suffered in the Vietnam War, his doctor said Friday during a review of 36 pages of the Democratic presidential candidate's military medical records.

The records, shown briefly to reporters, provided a few more details about the wounds that resulted in Kerry's three Purple Hearts and show that he suffered from respiratory ailments, a skin rash and a minor urinary tract infection during his four years in the Navy.

What war wounds did Dick Cheney, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney suffer?

So goes the myth.

WASHINGTON — John Kerry has a piece of shrapnel in his left thigh from an injury he suffered in the Vietnam War, his doctor said Friday during a review of 36 pages of the Democratic presidential candidate's military medical records.

The records, shown briefly to reporters, provided a few more details about the wounds that resulted in Kerry's three Purple Hearts and show that he suffered from respiratory ailments, a skin rash and a minor urinary tract infection during his four years in the Navy.

They didn't run on their military record.
Kerry did.
What war wounds did Obama, Clinton and Hilary suffer?

So goes the myth.

Kerry did.

Obama and Hillary avoided a draft?

Clinton actually did, but then registered.

Bush used his poppa to become a fly boy..then made sure he didn't go to the Nam.
Cheney got 5 deferments..and Romney actually protested to send other men's sons to war then went to France to kill some poor lady who didn't know how bad a driver he was..

Clinton was actually against the war. Cheney and Romney supported it. Bush was to busy partying to care.

So goes the myth.

Kerry did.

Impressive military record. Fought for his country, won a Silver Star

Not too shabby

So goes the myth.

Kerry refused to allow his medical records to be released to the press or the public.

Everyone that served during the Vietnam era didn't get war wounds. What war wounds did Bill Clinton suffer? See how that works.

Last edited:

So goes the myth.

Kerry refused to allow his medical records to be released to the press or the public.
What war wounds did you suffer?

None.

I never went to war.

And how is that pertinent to the discussion?

Eagle certainly is into spitting on vets. Classy guy. A lot of Republicans are the same way, willing to drench any vet with buckets of spittle, provided the vet is a Democrat.

Only the ones who conserted with a mass murdering govt. As for spittting it was the anti war protestors that greeted returning vets with rotten food, spitting etc.

Never happened.

I was there dude.

This spit upon veteran crap is another cherished myth of the next generation right wingers.

We did figuratively get spit on by the VETERANS organizations after we got back though.

Not the hippies,. not the antiwar people, it was the Korean and WWI vets who mostly treated us like shit.

This is something most of those organizations now what to forget.

The Viet Nam Vets were mostly treated badly be their fellow vets AND the media.

Last edited:
So goes the myth.

None.

I never went to war.

It is just as pertinent as asking what war wounds Cheney, Bush and Romney suffered. Meaning........... it isn't!

Eagle certainly is into spitting on vets. Classy guy. A lot of Republicans are the same way, willing to drench any vet with buckets of spittle, provided the vet is a Democrat.

Only the ones who conserted with a mass murdering govt. As for spittting it was the anti war protestors that greeted returning vets with rotten food, spitting etc.

Never happened.

I was there dude.

This spit upon veteran crap is another cherished myth of the next generation right wingers.

We did figuratively get spit on by the VETERANS organizations after we got back though.

Not the hippies,. not the antiwar people, it was the Korean and WWI vets who mostly treated us like shit.

This is something most of those organizations now what to forget.

The Viet Nam Vets were mostly treated badly be their fellow vets AND the media.
Very true... we won our war....you lost

VFW groups did dot welcome returning Vietnam vets

General Giap should be on the short list of greatest military leaders of the 20th century. .. :cool:

Given he kicked the arses of the most powerful nation in the world and made them look like a bunch of fucking idiots, you may well be right.

None.

I never went to war.

It is just as pertinent as asking what war wounds Cheney, Bush and Romney suffered. Meaning........... it isn't!

Yeah..it was.

These men set policy for this nation.

I never did.

General Giap should be on the short list of greatest military leaders of the 20th century. .. :cool:

Given he kicked the arses of the most powerful nation in the world and made them look like a bunch of fucking idiots, you may well be right.
I wouldn't go that far to say he kicked our ass.

The NVA never won a major engagement or battle against the U.S.

General Giap along with Uncle Ho were astute enough to know that America wasn't prepared to stay fully engaged in a multi decade war.

Whereas, the nationalist North Vietnam communists were prepared to fight for several generations in order to achieve their goal of North and South Vietnam being united.

So all General Giap had to do was keep inflicting pain in the form of dead U.S. soldiers and eventually the American public would demand a withdrawal of our troops and support.

Having been on the receivng end of General Giap's tactics (Unlike bush, Unlike cheney) I respect a man who with no formal military training defeated the French, made life hell for the Japanese and defeated the Americans.

ConJobs can't look past the end of their nose. They wave the flag, but a man who deserted his National Guard Unit and a vice-president who was a draft dodger.

The shrub was and is A DESERTER.

dead-eye dick(less) was and is A DRAFT DODGER.

Last edited:
None.

I never went to war.

Yeah..it was.

These men set policy for this nation.

I never did.

With the exception of Cheney, Bush and Romney were not in public office during Vietnam and did not set policy for this nation.

Cheney, who got five deferments from the draft as did the present Vice President, Joe Biden, and served as an advisor, not a policy making position.

Before I celebrate Giap's career, do you have any statistics on how many of the 58,000 American military he was responsible for killing?

Having been on the receivng end of General Giap's tactics (Unlike bush, Unlike cheney) I respect a man who with no formal military training defeated the French, made life hell for the Japanese and defeated the Americans.

ConJobs can't look past the end of their nose. They wave the flag, but a man who deserted his National Guard Unit and a vice-president who was a draft dodger.

How many deserters do you know who got an honorable discharge? Didn't Dan Rather get fired for making up lies like that?

I assume you are referring to VP Joe Biden, who got 5 legal deferments from the draft during Vietnam, as did MILLIONS of other Americans.

Last edited:

Before I celebrate Giap's career, do you have any statistics on how many of the 58,000 American military he was responsible for killing?

That's what Generals do

We celebrate famous Generals like Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Irwin Rommel not because we agree with their politics but admire their military skills

Forum List

Back