🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

George Will quits the Republican party

Saying you are a member of the party doesn't make you one. Jake for example is clearly not a Republican. And why would he leave the party over Trump? Why not just vote for him? That he's "leaving" the party demonstrates my point

Being a Republican means being a member of the party. That's it. People are usually a member of a political party for ideological reasons, but there can be other reasons. Southerners were Democrats for 100 years for reasons that had nothing to do with ideology, for example.

Jake's a Republican if he is a registered member of the party.

George Will was a conservative I actually liked - I didn't often agree with him, but his writing was solid and well grounded. He is a true conservative. That is not going to change, even though he leaves the GOP - but it should be sending a powerful message to the party when people like that are leaving it, or failing to support it's candidate.
Yes, it’s a powerful message, but one falling on deaf ears, Trump supporters in particular.

Will has been a Republican than most people on the Board have been alive.

Twerp can logically say "I don't think what he espouses are what I think to be Republican ideals," and I can honestly say, "Twerp, your ideals are a relative new comer to the party, as highlighted by Trump."

And the 'real' Republicans are going to stomp all over Trump and the far right strange ones.

That's your opinion...and you know what they say about those.

It's my opinion and a whole lot of other people. Guess how much I care what a leftist's view of my view of conservatives is???
That's not what she responded to. You're changing it again.

Obviously, you see no difference between conservative and Republican. Very telling.

Not really, it's actually the ability to discern context that you are lacking. Will has been attacking Republicans in ways that totally benefit Democrats for a long time. I didn't say he is a Democrat, I said he's not a Republican. And he's not consistently a conservative
kaz yet again reveals inability to analyze carefully. Will has not adopted either the neo-con or the far right political newcomers and their beliefs to the GOP over the last twenty years. He believes they do not hold core GOP beliefs. He is right.

Neocons are in both parties and the last two Presidents, one from each party, were both neocons. You still don't know what it means, do you, Jake? You think neocon means far right, that isn't what it means. Neo means new, Jake. They aren't cons. They are big government liberal spenders who use the military to push policy as both W and O did up to their armpits.
Stop the deflections.

We are talking about the GOP and its big liberal spending from 2001.

Trump will spend crazily. We know HRC will, but we can't do a thing about her,

Get out of the ME, stop the nonsense about gays and marriage, work on infrastructure, get the fed out of education, and start getting our people elected for the right reasons.

Exactly.

kaz is demonstrating what I said earlier about the Republican party turning on itself.

If one doesn't pass a litmus test, then one can't be a Republican, even though Will has been a Republican his whole life.

Unlike Trump.

I guess calling me a Republican is your lame attempt at an insult, but this is a particularly stupid way to insult someone who says he's not a Republican, it doesn't even make sense. I have litmus tests when I say I'm not one? How does that even make sense?

I wasn't insulting you. I was commenting on you saying that Will hasn't been a Republican for a long time. That's ridiculous.

It's funny how long it was discussed and then when it happened you think it came out of the blue

Dude, there is no litmus test to be a Republican.

Republican is a party, not an ideology. You can be a liberal Republican or a conservative Republican. To be a Republican, you sign up. That's it.

Small Tent Republicans want a check-the-box litmus test, but being a member of a political party requires none of that.

Saying you are a member of the party doesn't make you one. Jake for example is clearly not a Republican. And why would he leave the party over Trump? Why not just vote for him? That he's "leaving" the party demonstrates my point
Wrong.

Anyone is a republican who says he’s a republican.

There are republicans who defend the privacy rights of women.

There are republicans who defend the right of gay Americans to marry.

There are republicans who defend the right of transgender Americans to express themselves freely.

And they do so because it’s consistent with the most fundamental of republican tenets: less government, enhanced individual liberty.

Sadly, the GOP lost that commitment to individual liberty decades ago, the consequence of the Faustian bargain struck with the social right, where the Party is now the enemy of individual liberty, having become authoritarian, reactionary, and repressive.

And so, from all this, we see reaffirmed the truth that, like apples, The Republican Party rots from the "core". But once you cut away the core you can make a really nice pie with an apple - and so with parties.

And so, from all this, we see reaffirmed the truth that, like apples, The Republican Party rots from the "core". But once you cut away the core you can make a really nice pie with an apple - and so with parties.
It's late morning so get out of your red jammies, old man.

The GOP core is solid. The grafts of neo-conservatism, social conservatism, and the far right wacks have been poisoning the healthy part of the tree Time to cut the grafts off.

James 15: 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Isaiah 5:6 I will lay it waste; It will not be pruned or hoed, But briars and thorns will come up I will also charge the clouds to rain no rain on it.

George Will is (was) an elitist establishment republican. He never had a positive thing to say about any republican since Ronald Reagan or a negative thing to say about democrats.He never said a single good thing about the Tea Party. It was all arcane political analysis that few people could understand. Good riddance.
Actually, Will’s praise of Reagan was unwarranted.

But why do you think Will and other Old Guard republicans have been critical of the Party since Reagan, particularly with regard to justified, appropriate disdain for the TPM – it’s because the party has become more authoritarian and hostile to citizens’ rights, too intertwined with the bane of the social right, and too extreme in its dogma and rhetoric, unwilling to compromise, and unwilling to pursue sound, responsible governance.

George Will is not a conservative, he's a NEOCONSERVATIVE. Neocons are the idiots that invaded Iraq and destabilized the entire middle east. Neocons are the arrogant jackasses that started the "PNAC" and promised a "new American Century" of peace and prosperity but instead delivered massive budget deficits, ever expanding government, and endless wars. .

Neocons are scum that destroyed the GOP.

Good riddance George.
Yeah, the Middle East was such a bastion of peace and prosperity before neocons. The "endless war" I'm afraid is between you and the voices in your head.

It was not our mess before the neocons.
It's still not our mess....before it was the UN's mess, then Bill Clinton's mess, then it was Bush's mess....it's Obama and Hillary's mess now. They're trying to make it our mess.

The GOP core is solid. The grafts of neo-conservatism, social conservatism, and the far right wacks have been poisoning the healthy part of the tree Time to cut the grafts off.

James 15: 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Isaiah 5:6 I will lay it waste; It will not be pruned or hoed, But briars and thorns will come up I will also charge the clouds to rain no rain on it.
One thing is for certain......the Democrat Party is rotten to the core. Nothing in it is worth saving.

Bet saying that really pisses you off.

One thing is for certain......the Democrat Party is rotten to the core. Nothing in it is worth saving.

Bet saying that really pisses you off.

No, it does not piss me off. I sadly shake my head and pity you, for in this short little idiot-gram ^^^ you provide more evidence that you're a sheep who echoes right wing childlike insults. The DemocratIC Party is just fine, still a party which debates issues with a membership who vote their conscience, unlike the Republican Party, currently in war with its presumed nominee and filled with elected officials who vote as as they are told by their owners. Of course for the time being the D's and R's are the only game in town, though most of the self proclaimed conservatives on this site still believe their is no difference between the two.

Last edited:
George Will, conservative intellect, columnist, has quit the Republican party because of Donald Trump.
Donald Trump has taken the Republican party away from conservative values.

The new "Republicans" probably do not know who George Will or William F Buckley are.

The new "Republican" is an uneducated white person who has no idea about true conservatism.

Yo, George Will has been a Hack for the Democrats for some time now!!!

"GTP"
Buckley is resting in peace! National Review magazine in 1955, founder!
pic_newsite_static_wfb_firing-line.jpg

yes, must get the smart, thoughtful people out of the GOP so the white trash can kill the party :thup:

if you live in a trailor park then you are no longer capable of making decisions for yourself or the country...elitism.

funny... that seems to be the GOP base.

are you claiming only rich people should vote? that leaves out most of your people.

Trump is going to lose so badly, many in the GOP will refuse to say his name after November. Donnie Rules!:biggrin:

George Will, conservative intellect, columnist, has quit the Republican party because of Donald Trump.
Donald Trump has taken the Republican party away from conservative values.

The new "Republicans" probably do not know who George Will or William F Buckley are.

The new "Republican" is an uneducated white person who has no idea about true conservatism.

Yo, George Will has been a Hack for the Democrats for some time now!!!

"GTP"
Buckley is resting in peace! National Review magazine in 1955, founder!
pic_newsite_static_wfb_firing-line.jpg

yes, must get the smart, thoughtful people out of the GOP so the white trash can kill the party :thup:

if you live in a trailor park then you are no longer capable of making decisions for yourself or the country...elitism.

funny... that seems to be the GOP base.

are you claiming only rich people should vote? that leaves out most of your people.

Donnie is counting on low informaton voters and that Fact Checkers take a long vacation.

It's my opinion and a whole lot of other people. Guess how much I care what a leftist's view of my view of conservatives is???
That's not what she responded to. You're changing it again.

Obviously, you see no difference between conservative and Republican. Very telling.

Not really, it's actually the ability to discern context that you are lacking. Will has been attacking Republicans in ways that totally benefit Democrats for a long time. I didn't say he is a Democrat, I said he's not a Republican. And he's not consistently a conservative
kaz yet again reveals inability to analyze carefully. Will has not adopted either the neo-con or the far right political newcomers and their beliefs to the GOP over the last twenty years. He believes they do not hold core GOP beliefs. He is right.

Neocons are in both parties and the last two Presidents, one from each party, were both neocons. You still don't know what it means, do you, Jake? You think neocon means far right, that isn't what it means. Neo means new, Jake. They aren't cons. They are big government liberal spenders who use the military to push policy as both W and O did up to their armpits.
Stop the deflections.

We are talking about the GOP and its big liberal spending from 2001.

Trump will spend crazily. We know HRC will, but we can't do a thing about her,

Get out of the ME, stop the nonsense about gays and marriage, work on infrastructure, get the fed out of education, and start getting our people elected for the right reasons.

Stop using the term "neocon" until you learn what it means, Jake. It does not mean extremely conservative. Someone who's a fiscal conservative and strong on the military isn't a "neocon" they are just a "con." Neocon is a "new conservative," a big government liberal who falls in love with the military to impose our will on other governments and how they operate.

W and O are neocons, Hillary is a neocon. I don't know what Trump is, I'm not sure he does either. Labels are fine if they are accurate, but stop using them wrong, you just look like you don't know what you are talking about

I guess calling me a Republican is your lame attempt at an insult, but this is a particularly stupid way to insult someone who says he's not a Republican, it doesn't even make sense. I have litmus tests when I say I'm not one? How does that even make sense?

I wasn't insulting you. I was commenting on you saying that Will hasn't been a Republican for a long time. That's ridiculous.

It's funny how long it was discussed and then when it happened you think it came out of the blue

Dude, there is no litmus test to be a Republican.

Republican is a party, not an ideology. You can be a liberal Republican or a conservative Republican. To be a Republican, you sign up. That's it.

Small Tent Republicans want a check-the-box litmus test, but being a member of a political party requires none of that.

Wrong.

Anyone is a republican who says he’s a republican.

There are republicans who defend the privacy rights of women.

There are republicans who defend the right of gay Americans to marry.

There are republicans who defend the right of transgender Americans to express themselves freely.

And they do so because it’s consistent with the most fundamental of republican tenets: less government, enhanced individual liberty.

Sadly, the GOP lost that commitment to individual liberty decades ago, the consequence of the Faustian bargain struck with the social right, where the Party is now the enemy of individual liberty, having become authoritarian, reactionary, and repressive.

Gawd, liberals talking about anyone losing a "commitment to individual liberty" just stenches of hypocrisy. The IRS, Social Security and Obamacare are the greatest intruders on our personal liberty in the government, they make the NSA look like pikers

Forum List

Back