Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

One can implement effective Gun Control without violating the Second Amendment.

The Georgia State Legislature spanked a Corporation-Person for exercising its First Amendment rights. Not good.

This constitutes Corruption, Conspiracy to deprive a Corporate Person of its Civil Rights, and, for those already NRA members, a Conflict of Interest.

An IRS audit of NRA and other contributions to these legislators and their campaigns, upon request by the DOJ, seems to be in order.

Adding a charge of Bribery sounds like great fun.
sure. and when you lob in words like "common sense gun control" you'd think that's what they were after.

now you see a full scale assault on semi-automatics in general. near as i can figure they're doing this now because they can't differentiate the "assault rifle" from a hunting rifle, mini 14 or anything else by actual characteristics other than "gosh that looks mean". and that is even MORE subjective than "common sense".

if you want to meet in the middle and figure this out - you simply cannot:

1) lie about green tipped ammo
2) get caught running guns to mexico illegally, as if there's a legal way
3) say things like "due process is killing us" (and yes trump pissed me off when he said they'd get around to it second)
4) can't define what it is you wish to ban so you keep making shit up
5) the media constantly lies about guns and what is happening and willfully portrays these guns in a much worse light originally not thought possible. i've seen an AR-15 "pulsing" on CNN. PULSING. they simply do not do that.
6) the media also adds pictures of grenade launchers to the shooters guns to lie and magnify

and now that trump is trying to fix background checks (biggest thing we can do now) what is the left doing? well, not taking a first positive step, no. they're going to war on gun owners.

which on it's own makes less sense than tits on a nun.

so instead of doing what we can, or talking about police substations in schools and looking to redesign them to better control access, they are now talking about bullet speeds and ballistics.

this from a group that doesn't realize magazines are re-usable and it took a good 8 years to realize the AR-15 was NOT fully automatic.

so what do we control when the left is out of control on what to do and how to define what they want, other than all guns taken away in the end OF WHICH they giggle when you tell them that's what they want?

meeting in the middle is getting over your hate for trump and working with him on what we can do to improve background checks and shared information about people. looking into drugs kids are given to "treat" the common symptoms of growing up. you know, looking at fixing the actual problem.

not looking to get rid of guns of which they deny.

you figure out how to work with that type of extreme mentality that stomps their feet and goes on useless protests when they don't get their way, let me know. til then trump is going to do what he feels is right and hey, at least he's trying to do something. obama never did.

If you want to blast the left for their lies in their efforts at gun control, I have no problem with it.

But the topic of this thread is the GA senate overstepping its bounds and using the tax system to punish a private company for a minor decision.
i'm amazed, to a point, people are still thinking GA did this ONLY because of delta's cave in to the left.

the lt gov did grandstand and dogged on delta. right or wrong such activity is expected in a heightened time we are in right now. but when the tax breaks were given initially many already didn't like it. now that the *need* for them (recession, trying to get ALL airlines there to help keep employee jobs) has come to a conclusion the taxes were going away anyway.

everyone is caught up in the hype and don't actually review the real issue overall. gator did initially and while i don't totally agree with him on the symantec's, he is right that the core of the issue is the lt gov making it an issue about delta when it never was.

everyone seems to be of the mindset that this is JUST delta and ONLY BECAUSE of the nra crap.

all the other talk is just bullshit caught up in misconceptions so forgive me if i stray a bit while others around me do as well (hi jillian - you little insult machine you!) you only decide to call me out on it.

The Gov and Lt Gov were in favor of the tax exemption. You are correct that the exemption was for all airlines flying out of Atlanta.

But you are wrong that this was about anything but the issue between Delta and the NRA.
from: Georgia's lieutenant governor threatens to retaliate against Delta unless it reverses its decision on the NRA
"Georgia's lieutenant governor, Casey Cagle, said he would not support a bill that would give Delta a massive tax break unless the airline reversed its decision on Saturday to end its partnership with the National Rifle Association."

"In response, Casey Cagle, who is running for governor as a Republican this year, tweeted on Monday that he would block any legislation that includes tax benefits for Delta until the airline renewed the partnership."

So the tax exemption would have gone thru if Delta had renewed its relationship with the NRA. That pretty much shoots down the idea that it was about removing tax exemptions for corporations.
one of my co workers lives in atlanta. he's VERY familiar with the ENTIRE debate. he said most of the gov wanted to end them long before delta dropped their nra discounts.

so i can listen to someone i know and trust who lives there and understands the story from years of experience and perspectives, or someone i rarely see cause they're on ignore due to past bullshit they cite.

give me a minute, this is a tough call.

I live in Atlanta. The fuel tax exemptions were rescinded in 2015. The new bill, which includes the fuel tax exemption for Delta (and all other airlines flying out of Atlanta), was fully supported by Gov Deal and by Lt Gov Cagle. At least until Delta broke with the NRA. Then, and only then, was the fuel tax exemption in jeopardy. And the bill WITH the tax exemptions passed the House and was expected to pass the Senate. And the democrats only control 1/3 of the votes in the GA Senate and House. So the fact that the bill passed meant republicans favored it before they didn't.

Also, Gov Deal is still trying to get the fuel tax added back to the bill before he signs it. He has said he will sign it either way, but wants the fuel tax exemptions in the bill.

As for your friend saying "...most of the gov wanted to end them long before delta dropped their nra discounts.", how did the bill pass the GA House if that is so? It is only 1/3 democrat, remember?

So the idea that this has anything to do with anything but the Delta/NRA squabble is nonsense.

If you want to blast the left for their lies in their efforts at gun control, I have no problem with it.

But the topic of this thread is the GA senate overstepping its bounds and using the tax system to punish a private company for a minor decision.
i'm amazed, to a point, people are still thinking GA did this ONLY because of delta's cave in to the left.

the lt gov did grandstand and dogged on delta. right or wrong such activity is expected in a heightened time we are in right now. but when the tax breaks were given initially many already didn't like it. now that the *need* for them (recession, trying to get ALL airlines there to help keep employee jobs) has come to a conclusion the taxes were going away anyway.

everyone is caught up in the hype and don't actually review the real issue overall. gator did initially and while i don't totally agree with him on the symantec's, he is right that the core of the issue is the lt gov making it an issue about delta when it never was.

everyone seems to be of the mindset that this is JUST delta and ONLY BECAUSE of the nra crap.

all the other talk is just bullshit caught up in misconceptions so forgive me if i stray a bit while others around me do as well (hi jillian - you little insult machine you!) you only decide to call me out on it.

The Gov and Lt Gov were in favor of the tax exemption. You are correct that the exemption was for all airlines flying out of Atlanta.

But you are wrong that this was about anything but the issue between Delta and the NRA.
from: Georgia's lieutenant governor threatens to retaliate against Delta unless it reverses its decision on the NRA
"Georgia's lieutenant governor, Casey Cagle, said he would not support a bill that would give Delta a massive tax break unless the airline reversed its decision on Saturday to end its partnership with the National Rifle Association."

"In response, Casey Cagle, who is running for governor as a Republican this year, tweeted on Monday that he would block any legislation that includes tax benefits for Delta until the airline renewed the partnership."

So the tax exemption would have gone thru if Delta had renewed its relationship with the NRA. That pretty much shoots down the idea that it was about removing tax exemptions for corporations.
one of my co workers lives in atlanta. he's VERY familiar with the ENTIRE debate. he said most of the gov wanted to end them long before delta dropped their nra discounts.

so i can listen to someone i know and trust who lives there and understands the story from years of experience and perspectives, or someone i rarely see cause they're on ignore due to past bullshit they cite.

Could you ask your coworker if that is the case why it made it through the House with less than a day and a half for debate

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
from what he said it's because most didn't want it anyway and most of the discussion was already done. it was a PR stunt at the end the lt gov did that got all the attention.

PR stunt? Ok.

But the bill passed the GA House and was expected to pass the GA Senate as well. Gov Deal is still hopeful the exemptions can be added back to the bill before it lands on his desk.

So the idea that this has anything to do with anything but the Delta/NRA squabble is nonsense.

Yes, but pretending otherwise is their only cover. They're not going to acknowledge their hypocrisy, and will keep offering up tortured excuses, no matter how ridiculous.

One can implement effective Gun Control without violating the Second Amendment.

The Georgia State Legislature spanked a Corporation-Person for exercising its First Amendment rights. Not good.

This constitutes Corruption, Conspiracy to deprive a Corporate Person of its Civil Rights, and, for those already NRA members, a Conflict of Interest.

An IRS audit of NRA and other contributions to these legislators and their campaigns, upon request by the DOJ, seems to be in order.

Adding a charge of Bribery sounds like great fun.
sure. and when you lob in words like "common sense gun control" you'd think that's what they were after.

now you see a full scale assault on semi-automatics in general. near as i can figure they're doing this now because they can't differentiate the "assault rifle" from a hunting rifle, mini 14 or anything else by actual characteristics other than "gosh that looks mean". and that is even MORE subjective than "common sense".

if you want to meet in the middle and figure this out - you simply cannot:

1) lie about green tipped ammo
2) get caught running guns to mexico illegally, as if there's a legal way
3) say things like "due process is killing us" (and yes trump pissed me off when he said they'd get around to it second)
4) can't define what it is you wish to ban so you keep making shit up
5) the media constantly lies about guns and what is happening and willfully portrays these guns in a much worse light originally not thought possible. i've seen an AR-15 "pulsing" on CNN. PULSING. they simply do not do that.
6) the media also adds pictures of grenade launchers to the shooters guns to lie and magnify

and now that trump is trying to fix background checks (biggest thing we can do now) what is the left doing? well, not taking a first positive step, no. they're going to war on gun owners.

which on it's own makes less sense than tits on a nun.

so instead of doing what we can, or talking about police substations in schools and looking to redesign them to better control access, they are now talking about bullet speeds and ballistics.

this from a group that doesn't realize magazines are re-usable and it took a good 8 years to realize the AR-15 was NOT fully automatic.

so what do we control when the left is out of control on what to do and how to define what they want, other than all guns taken away in the end OF WHICH they giggle when you tell them that's what they want?

meeting in the middle is getting over your hate for trump and working with him on what we can do to improve background checks and shared information about people. looking into drugs kids are given to "treat" the common symptoms of growing up. you know, looking at fixing the actual problem.

not looking to get rid of guns of which they deny.

you figure out how to work with that type of extreme mentality that stomps their feet and goes on useless protests when they don't get their way, let me know. til then trump is going to do what he feels is right and hey, at least he's trying to do something. obama never did.

Let me see, on the one hand every news story AND the statements of the LtGov say the tax exemptions were removed from the bill solely because Delta dropped their relationship with the NRA. And the Governor has chastised the republicans for their "squabble". And the gov is trying to get the exemptions back in the bill. But your anecdotal evidence from an unnamed source with no visible connection to the actual situation (other than living in Atlanta) says different?

Give me a minute, this is a tough call.

Why I don’t agree with the Corp bullying and divestment of political organizations. I strongly oppose the government using crony capitalism to force a company to support a certain political cause.

It is unethical and supports a climate of corruption that we all should condemn.

What IL forced a conservative company like Caterpillar to support, financial, Planned Parenthood. “Either you regain economic ties with Planned Parenthood, or we take away tax credits!” Conservatives would be up in arms and saying Caterpillar should leave the state!

Don’t bs a hypocrite! What the GA LT Gov is doing is disgraceful!

Why I don’t agree with the Corp bullying and divestment of political organizations. I strongly oppose the government using crony capitalism to force a company to support a certain political cause.

It is unethical and supports a climate of corruption that we all should condemn.

What IL forced a conservative company like Caterpillar to support, financial, Planned Parenthood. “Either you regain economic ties with Planned Parenthood, or we take away tax credits!” Conservatives would be up in arms and saying Caterpillar should leave the state!

Don’t bs a hypocrite! What the GA LT Gov is doing is disgraceful!

Thank you. That is precisely my point.

I am all for cutting corporate tax exemptions. If you can't make it in business without them, you shouldn't be in business.

But the way this was done is extortion and gov't interference in the worst way.

Could you ask your coworker if that is the case why it made it through the House with less than a day and a half for debate

from what he said it's because most didn't want it anyway and most of the discussion was already done. it was a PR stunt at the end the lt gov did that got all the attention.

I think perhaps I was unclear.

The bill to reinstate the tax break passed the Ga House overwhelmingly in less than a day and a half of debate.

If most did not want them, why did they pass the House so easily?

Whether it was a good business decision or not still does not give the government the right to try and overturn it.

I never said that's what gave them the right.

Delta has the freedom to make shitty business decisions, the government is denied the power by the constitution from trying to overturn it.

Where in the Constitution does it mandate tax breaks for airlines?

it's not about a discount, it's about discriminating based on politics...that should be unacceptable to you or anyone else

From what I have read, the NRA only used the discount 13 times last year. Apparently they didn't think much of the discount. But being denied publicly bothered them. So they sent their politicians after Delta for the perceived insult.

It doesn't matter if it was one or a thousand. And BTW, the discounts were offered to members--not the NRA.

The point is that they indeed took a political position. They didn't have to choose a side, but they did.

It's upsetting to leftists that the local governments are looking to take away a tax break, but not a word when the IRS targeted conservative groups or the FBI submitting phony material to a FISA court to get a warrant to spy on a political adversary.

A member of the NRA is the NRA.

Not being a leftist, the argument "They do it too" is a waste of time. I am angry at the manipulation of private businesses by the gov't. Although, when you make remarks about leftists and then are in favor of such blatant gov't interference, it seems hypocritical.

I don't see hypocrisy on the right as much as I do on the left. The right (here) are saying that we are not really crazy about what they are doing to Delta, but on the other hand, the left here are now strongly against government interference with private industry. What????

When the left tries to control industry, Democrat voters have no problem with it at all. Our position more or less is "So how do you like it?"

So, in essence you have become a Dem to get back at them for being Dems...great plan

If yo can't beat em, join them.

From what I have read, the NRA only used the discount 13 times last year. Apparently they didn't think much of the discount. But being denied publicly bothered them. So they sent their politicians after Delta for the perceived insult.

It doesn't matter if it was one or a thousand. And BTW, the discounts were offered to members--not the NRA.

The point is that they indeed took a political position. They didn't have to choose a side, but they did.

It's upsetting to leftists that the local governments are looking to take away a tax break, but not a word when the IRS targeted conservative groups or the FBI submitting phony material to a FISA court to get a warrant to spy on a political adversary.

Not being a leftist, the argument "They do it too" is a waste of time. I am angry at the manipulation of private businesses by the gov't. Although, when you make remarks about leftists and then are in favor of such blatant gov't interference, it seems hypocritical.

I don't see hypocrisy on the right as much as I do on the left. The right (here) are saying that we are not really crazy about what they are doing to Delta, but on the other hand, the left here are now strongly against government interference with private industry. What????

When the left tries to control industry, Democrat voters have no problem with it at all. Our position more or less is "So how do you like it?"

So, in essence you have become a Dem to get back at them for being Dems...great plan

So your principles and beliefs are disposable, as long as you win against the dems?

Good to know.

And this is why the country is in such a headlong rush to the left..

It is? Sure seems like it's going right to me. A Republican led House, Senate, White House, and about 2/3 of Governorships in the country.

It is? Sure seems like it's going right to me. A Republican led House, Senate, White House, and about 2/3 of Governorships in the country.

The problem that you are missing is that the House and the Senate and the POUTS all lean left of actual conservatives. Yeah, they all are under the Repub control, too bad the Repub party is pushing it left just as fast as the Dems.

The problem that you are missing is that the House and the Senate and the POUTS all lean left of actual conservatives. Yeah, they all are under the Repub control, too bad the Repub party is pushing it left just as fast as the Dems.

Well I disagree, but this is normal for our kind of government.

Being in leadership does not give you unlimited power. We have defectors on our side such as McCain. We need 60 votes in the Senate to pass many things. There is a give and take process involved.

But if you look at Trump's accomplishments, not only are they many, but most of them conservative as well. So I have no complaints whatsoever.

If you are going to wait for a perfect politician that does everything you want, then you'll be waiting your entire life.

"If I can get 70% of what I want, I'll gladly accept that."
Ronald Reagan

Whether it was a good business decision or not still does not give the government the right to try and overturn it.

Delta has the freedom to make shitty business decisions, the government is denied the power by the constitution from trying to overturn it.

Where in the Constitution does it say that State Governments are allowed to coerce Corporate Citizens to support a third-party Lobbying Organization?

Where in the Constitution does it say that State Governments are allowed to coerce Corporate Citizens to support a third-party Lobbying Organization?

Where does it say it can't?

"Just because one CAN do a thing does not mean that one SHOULD do a thing."

If the government is trying to force on private entity to give a financial discount to a different entity, then they are not being treated equally, and the constitution requires the government to give everyone the same protreactgoins under the law. The Ga Senate and LtGov violated this clause, which was a very, very left leaning/liberal thing to do. And you supported it, meaning you are one of the people pushing the country further to the left.

Question is which other Airline will offer discounts to those attending the next NRA convention and thereby eat Delta's lunch.

Yeah, which other airline will get those 16 passengers. That just might drive Delta out of business...:21:

Forum List

Back