Give a man a fish.......

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing

Sounds like the person having been taught to fish simply has to make excuses when what he's learned doesn't provide him as much as someone else when the problem is still with the learner.
Sounds like a bunch of trot-line robbers and net thieves whining about how life is so hard on unskilled riff-raff.

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing

Sounds like the person having been taught to fish simply has to make excuses when what he's learned doesn't provide him as much as someone else when the problem is still with the learner.

Its always easier to fish with the best equipment, no competition and a fishing hole with the most fish in it.

Actually, it sounds to me as if it's easier for you to make excuses than to look for answers

Sounds like a man who was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple

You sound like one who didn't go to the batting cage or took fielding practice then wonders why he strikes out and makes errors on every at bat or ball hit to him.

My family history involves people having worked in the cotton mills of SC and coal mines of Pennsylvania. No one gets to third base when born from that background. I was the FIRST in my immediate family to graduate from college and it was funded by academic and athletic scholarships. I have gone on to finish two advanced degrees since then. In case you aren't aware, you don't get those types of things by staying out of the batting cage and off the field hoping the skills comes your way.
My father and his siblings were the first generation not born behind the south end of a northbound mule.

WWII go them out of the cotton fields and into the military and on to school.

Millions still take that route, providing the are not part of the 75% mentally, physically or morally unfit for military duty.

Liberals think government is good.

That alone is proof of their inability to think.

Society does not exist without government
People with a brain know that government is a necessary evil and not a thing to be lauded as a panacea
No sane person doubts the need for government.

If anyone wants anarchy, let them move to Chicago.

Or New Orleans.

New Orleans?

I have always noticed that conservatives are very quick to blame those that are undereducated, or whose jobs have been deported to other countries, or people who are otherwise not capable of making a living wage. Ok, fair enough. I am all for encouraging people to work for a living. However, when one brings up the fact that these people have children who are unable to feed themselves, they suddenly change gears, and now blame the parents for the children's plight...somehow sidestepping the fact that the children themselves are not to blame for not having food, clothing, or medical care. It is at this level that the conservatives reveal themselves as what they are. Totally lacking in compassion for fellow human beings, and full of judgmental self-righteousness.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

But what happens when there are no fish where you live?
What happens if you can't afford a pole, tackle and a license?
What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

How many generations do we need to be giving out fish? If your fish is delivered to your door, why even bother to learn to fish?

Yet another cornerstone of conservatism

People will not want to work unless they suffer enough. There is no society on earth where the poor have done better by giving them less
How's this giving them more working out?
I have seen many poor take advantage of jobs training bills, jobs programs, educational opportunities, small business loans ....

Does that count as more?

..that's quite profound, little partisan. :salute:

You got it all figured out. :rolleyes:
If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone
Then move.

People aren't chained to a spot in this country you know.

You remind me of the dog on a nail story.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

“Auuuuuhhhh………. Aaaauhhhh……….”

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

But it didn’t. It continued howling.

“Auuuu…………auuuu………..Auuuhhhhh…….”

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

“Auuuhhh………….Oouuuuuhhhhh…….Au au auuhhhhh..”

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

“Auuuhhh…Ouuuhhh….Auuuuuuuuuuuuuu………Au au au auu au au auuuuhhhhh….”

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Wondering what was going on, Tom walked up to Mr Tan.

Tom: “Hi Mr Tan, is that your dog?”

Mr Tan: “Which dog?” He glanced around. “Oh that. Yep he’s mine.”

Tom: “Why does he keep howling?”

Mr Tan: “Oh, that’s cause he’s sitting on a nail.”

Tom: “Sitting on a nail?!?” Tom gave the dog a bewildered look.

“..Okay… so why doesn’t he just get away from the nail then??”

“Well, Tom………”, Mr Tan took a slow sip of his coffee before replying.

“…That’s because he doesn’t find it painful enough yet.”

Very good answer....just move

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots
Man, it must be a Vast Rightwing Conspiracy.

Hiding the good fishing holes, like the Dakotas, Texas, Louisiana, where a HS diploma and a punctual work record can put you in the oilfield making six figures.
And many poor and lower end working class are flocking to those locations. Are Dakota, Texas and Louisiana prepared to accept all of our poor people who need jobs?

If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone
Then move.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots

Hiding the good fishing holes, like the Dakotas, Texas, Louisiana, where a HS diploma and a punctual work record can put you in the oilfield making six figures.
And many poor and lower end working class are flocking to those locations. Are Dakota, Texas and Louisiana prepared to accept all of our poor people who need jobs?
We have the jobs, are they looking for work or a handout.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

Conservatives have little enthusiasm for funding the cost of education, so the teaching a man to fish part of that is hardly on the rightwing to-do list.
It is more than that

It is the "screw you" attitude towards those who are struggling
HMM who gives more to charity liberals or conservatives?

Government (explained for simpletons...and you know who you are)

Government = Force
Government = Coercion
Government = Rule by small elite
Government = Waste and Inefficiency
Government = Lack of liberty

Amazingly in a nation founded on individual liberty, there are millions of individuals who do not understand this simple explanation of the true meaning of GOVERNMENT.

Then move.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

howlingdog.jpg

Why not? They are in dire need of people to work.

Then move.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

howlingdog.jpg

I agree.....all those RWrs complaining about California, our laws, taxes, etc. should just move. We could use a little less crowding anyways.

How many generations do we need to be giving out fish? If your fish is delivered to your door, why even bother to learn to fish?

Yet another cornerstone of conservatism

People will not want to work unless they suffer enough. There is no society on earth where the poor have done better by giving them less
How's this giving them more working out?
I have seen many poor take advantage of jobs training bills, jobs programs, educational opportunities, small business loans ....

Does that count as more?
No, those are the good things that lift people.

Those are the things that done right break the cycle.

Then move.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

howlingdog.jpg

I agree.....all those RWrs complaining about California, our laws, taxes, etc. should just move. We could use a little less crowding anyways.
Not quite the topic

If you have a job and are supporting yourself IDGAF how much you complain.

Government = Force
Government = Coercion

Amazingly in a nation founded on individual liberty, there are millions of individuals who do not understand this simple explanation of the true meaning of GOVERNMENT.

I guess that I am one of those who does not understand the meaning of "government". To me, the US government is government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Then again, maybe you live in a different country that I do. North Korea perhaps?

Government = Force
Government = Coercion

I guess that I am one of those who does not understand the meaning of "government". To me, the US government is government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Then again, maybe you live in a different country that I do. North Korea perhaps?

Gee i though it was the government of the rich guys who are screwing everyone else.

BTW my government hasn't represented me in a couple decades now

Government = Force
Government = Coercion

Gee i though it was the government of the rich guys who are screwing everyone else.

BTW my government hasn't represented me in a couple decades now

Sounds like you should take the same advice that is being given to the jobless. Move to a country that fairly represents you. Although, I can not even visualize one that would satisfy you.

As for the rich exploiting the poor, the government pretty much curbed that around the early 1900's. We can thank the Republican, Teddy Roosevelt for that.

Government = Force
Government = Coercion

You must be dreaming dude...or stoned away.

Conservatives have little enthusiasm for funding the cost of education, so the teaching a man to fish part of that is hardly on the rightwing to-do list.
It is more than that

It is the "screw you" attitude towards those who are struggling
HMM who gives more to charity liberals or conservatives?
Tell us...

Conservatives give to their churches of which a small percentage goes to help struggling Americans...gotta get that new organ

Forum List

Back