God declares war on Christmas

For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.

Jeremiah 10:3-4

Christmas, as with a tree, Santa, and flying reindeer has nothing to do with any religion. As is often the case with commercialized modern holidays with religious origins. Did we miss the bit in the Bible about Easter Bunnies, or did somoene change what Easter's about like Christmas?
Why hasn't the History Channel done a piece on the history of Christmas? Didn't it start in Germany?

Just as early Christians recruited Roman pagans by associating Christmas with the Saturnalia, so too worshippers of the Asheira cult and its offshoots were recruited by the Church sanctioning “Christmas Trees”.[7] Pagans had long worshipped trees in the forest, or brought them into their homes and decorated them, and this observance was adopted and painted with a Christian veneer by the Church.

The Origin of Mistletoe
Norse mythology recounts how the god Balder was killed using a mistletoe arrow by his rival god Hoder while fighting for the female Nanna. Druid rituals use mistletoe to poison their human sacrificial victim.[8] The Christian custom of “kissing under the mistletoe” is a later synthesis of the sexual license of Saturnalia with the Druidic sacrificial cult

The Origin of Christmas Presents
In pre-Christian Rome, the emperors compelled their most despised citizens to bring offerings and gifts during the Saturnalia (in December) and Kalends (in January). Later, this ritual expanded to include gift-giving among the general populace. The Catholic Church gave this custom a Christian flavor by re-rooting it in the supposed gift-giving of Saint Nicholas (see below)

Origin of Christmas | The history of Christmas and how it began
If everyone understood this Black Friday would no longer exist.
Sure it would. I don't think most people, even most Christians, give a rats ass about the religious aspects of Xmas. Or they go to church ONLY on Xmas. So religion and god and faith really are an after thought for a lot of people, even Christians.

Even ask the conservative Christians here if those Christians are doing enough to get into heaven and they'll say no. If only they knew, huh? Think about that. They thought just saying YES when asked if they believed Jesus is the lord is the only thing required to get into heaven, and it is actually sooo much more than that. Most CHristians aren't willing to do those things. They are cherry pickers.

The church doesn't mind though. Those people donate money too. They don't want to tell them they aren't going to heaven just because they say YES when asked if they believe Jesus is the messiah.

I know Muslims who love Xmas. So what? It's fun. LOL.

so it will not totter.

That is too comical, and it does come up in a search online so its real. Jeremiah 10:3 - 10:4

Oh where 'o where is Bile Ori'lie on this one. When will 'Christians' being their war on the Christmas tree? How embarrassing to stumble over one's own holy robes.

Its in the old testament. THat's the part of the Bible CHristians get to pick and choose from (besides the other part - the New testament)

Pretty much says don't act like those heathens, they do things like set up Christmas trees.

Hey Christians are gentiles, not Jews.

Except for the first one.

Come to think of it, Jesus wasn't a christian either.

So they say , nor were his followers. He was much more insightful than those before him and that insight got him nailed to a cross by the wishes of those of his ? kin. (according to the NT)

so it will not totter.

That is about carving idols from trees, not Christmas trees per se.

Sure. If you want to play fast and loose with your Salvation. If I were you I'd play it safe - are you willing to burn in Hell for Eternity if you're wrong, for a friggin' TREE? Seems a little irresponsible to me.

so it will not totter.

Sure. If you want to play fast and loose with your Salvation. If I were you I'd play it safe - are you willing to burn in Hell for Eternity if you're wrong, for a friggin' TREE? Seems a little irresponsible to me.
Just don't put any faces on it or an angel on top and you'll be fine.

so it will not totter.

Just don't put any faces on it or an angel on top and you'll be fine.

Sorry, but I'm gonna play it safe. No Hell for me, thanks. I can't believe you'd risk your salvation for a fucking tree.

Don't the Mormon's believe Jesus visited Alabama at some point?

I know people are prone to believe almost anything but WTH junior.
Other religions who worship in glass churches shouldn't throw stones.

I'm an agnostic, my bag only has stones in it.
As an agnostic you aren't sure who to throw stones at.

Everyone. All religions are based on false premise. There are about 4,000 religions on Earth currently and every person that believes in one throw stones at the other 3,999.

I just throw stones at one more than they do.

so it will not totter.

That is too comical, and it does come up in a search online so its real. Jeremiah 10:3 - 10:4

Oh where 'o where is Bile Ori'lie on this one. When will 'Christians' being their war on the Christmas tree? How embarrassing to stumble over one's own holy robes.
OhPooPahDooPeeDooPeee does not speak for all of Christendom, dude.

But I guess you secularists will take your wins however you can get them these days.

Limit your own life.

Everyone. All religions are based on false premise. There are about 4,000 religions on Earth currently and every person that believes in one throw stones at the other 3,999.

Religions are pretty much a good thing even if they are not all real. Its the people that practice the religions that mess it up.

Religions are pretty much a good thing even if they are not all real. Its the people that practice the religions that mess it up.

No argument, people tend to destroy any system they are part of eventually. But religion has the ability to make people who are doing the most heinous things believe they are good and right in the absolute. THAT is why they are so dangerous.

Witness Isis.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts

Define "pretty much a good thing".

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death,incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they are flawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death,incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they are flawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.
Without a framework of moral directives backed by the threat of karma or hell, people would simply be more animalistic than they are now.

Without a framework of moral directives backed by the threat of karma or hell, people would simply be more animalistic than they are now.
I don't believe we need a lie to be good. And a lot of good this lie is doing keeping us from being "animalistic". Think of all the Christians that owned your ancestors. But I guess if it wasn't for god maybe they'd have had no reason to set them free. Other than it's obviously mean.

I thought about this the other day. Just look at how us atheists treat gays. We say live and let live. So even without god we know to treat them better. But look at the bible thumping anti gays. Lot of good their holy book is doing making them better people. Maybe we just need a new book. Call it the Newest Testament.

“A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.” – David Stevens

I don't believe we need a lie to be good. And a lot of good this lie is doing keeping us from being "animalistic". Think of all the Christians that owned your ancestors. But I guess if it wasn't for god maybe they'd have had no reason to set them free. Other than it's obviously mean.

I thought about this the other day. Just look at how us atheists treat gays. We say live and let live. So even without god we know to treat them better. But look at the bible thumping anti gays. Lot of good their holy book is doing making them better people. Maybe we just need a new book. Call it the Newest Testament.

“A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.” – David Stevens
There were no true christians that owned my ancestors. A true christian would have only owned any of my ancestors as a formality to keep them safe from other enslavers much like most of the Black slave owners did.

Even as an atheist you were exposed to the concepts that govern your behavior and founded in religion. You may not practice a religion or believe in a god but you absolutely believe in the aspects of religion that are deemed "good".

There were no true christians that owned my ancestors. A true christian would have only owned any of my ancestors as a formality to keep them safe from other enslavers much like most of the Black slave owners did.

Even as an atheist you were exposed to the concepts that govern your behavior and founded in religion. You may not practice a religion or believe in a god but you absolutely believe in the aspects of religion that are deemed "good".
Religion taught me to hate gays. I don't hate gays. I guess religions grip on me isn't as good as you think.

Do you think people didn't know it was wrong to kill before Moses said god commanded it?

What came first morality or religion? I say morality. Religion came much later.

Of course a true christian would never own a slave but how many "true" christians do you think existed back then? And how many do you think exist today? You believe most whites are evil. How many of them do you think are "true" christians?

Why? If one doesn't believe in an afterlife, it seems to me that earthly punishment is quite enough.

Why? If one doesn't believe in an afterlife, it seems to me that earthly punishment is quite enough.
There is no earthly punishment for banging your neighbors wife, not honoring your parents, lying, worshipping other gods (Obama), swearing, working on Sunday,

so it will not totter.

Its in the old testament. THat's the part of the Bible CHristians get to pick and choose from (besides the other part - the New testament)

You mean like you just did right there, when you intentionally misrepresented scripture to make a point?

What is it about anti-Christian zealots that think that just because they are dishonest know-nothings, that everybody else is? Just because you have no understanding of biblical concepts doesn't mean that everybody who does must be as clueless as you are.

Forum List

Back