Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts

they must laugh at the rest of the people not "lucky" enough to get on with Daddy Guberment while YOU pay their salary's. what a Gig eh

SNIP:
We’ve all seen the same headlines repeating for the last six years so often that it’s become part and parcel of the national milieu. Times are hard, wages are stagnant and pay isn’t keeping up with the cost of living. It’s tough out there to be sure, but there’s one segment of the American population where that doesn’t seem to be true. If you happen to work for the federal government – regardless of the job you hold, how well you perform or what happens to the market – you’re probably making way more than your counterparts in the private sector. (Government Executive Magazine)

Federal employees on average earned 78 percent more in total compensation than private sector workers in 2014, according to a new study from a conservative think tank.

The Cato Institute’s Chris Edwards compared data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis to show that, in his view, civilian federal workers are overcompensated. Factoring both salary and benefits, Edwards pointed to BEA data showing the average federal employee earns about $119,000 annually, compared to the private sector worker who earns $67,000 per year. When comparing just salaries, feds collect 50 percent bigger paychecks, Edwards said.

Back in 1990 the gap was smaller but still in place. Federal workers back then earned, on average, 39% more than private sector employees performing the same jobs. Owing to the rules of the free market, that shifted for a while during the tech boom of the late nineties, at least in a few sectors of the job market. When there were a limited number of workers skilled in a new industry, wages shot up and passed their government colleagues who were generally held to raises which follow a set formula.

Unfortunately, as Wall Street tanked and the market completely stalled, the private sector paid the price while the federal government kept on plugging along with slower, but steady increases in most cases. This led to what the study’s author describes as a situation where the Washington bureaucracy became “an elite island of secure and high-paid employment, separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

Of course, it doesn’t help that it’s nearly impossible to fire a federal employee.

ALL of it here:
Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts « Hot Air

you want to whine about federal workers making money......whine about the this last crop of GOP welfare kings who get 6 figures of my hard earned dollars and don't do a damn thing to earn it but sit on their white as's and hate on Obama....now put that in your effin pipe and choke on it.
Obama put them there. ouch!!!!!

Obama? No, gerrymandering put them there! If you don't understand that, you need to find a forum on something less mentally taxing.

And they wonder why we're going broke...
Between the salaries and pensions of these assholes is it any wonder?

"assholes"? Next time you need a cop call your insurance agent, if you have a fire call him or her too. Ever watch Victory at Sea? All those draftees and GI's, were government employees too. Better yet, take a walk around a government cemetery and see what some government employees have done for the rest of us.

Envy is a deadly sin, and simply because Stephanie and others like her can't pass a written civil service test, or most likely can't meet the MQ's to even take one, is sad; I understand why she is bitter and others too.

What I can't fathom is the hate bestowed on those who try to make life better and more fair for those who can't qualify for higher paying jobs. Why would someone like Stephanie object to those like her getting a fair wage, a higher minimum wage, health insurance and eventually Social Security?

We all know we need "some" GOVT. What we don't need are duplication of services growing out of control during a 2008 housing recession (for example). Again when private screws up...disappear.
Quick example: we have FBI, CIA, POLICE, military.....on and on. yet GWB added homeland security?

How much security did the Ports of Kansas and Nebraska need? HS was another boondoggle, used by the GWB Administration to get kudos for protecting our nation after the fact of 911.

And as we've seen it doesnt make a tinkers damn who's in office.
They all want to expand the PA.

That's the meme, both major parties are the same. It's far from true, but many actually believe no difference exists.

In fact the one and only similarity is both parties want power, and incumbents all want to be reelected. Both are truisms as is the use of the word bribe to describe campaign donations in the tens of thousands (or in the case of the Koch Brothers, the billions).

Both support the PA,both support illegal immigration,both support obammy care...etc,etc....

Yeah right..they show up after the fact

Recent example: Boston Bomber. they SHUT down city over one 18 yr old kid? They could not find him for days. Private citizen found him.

And besides,who calls the cops during a break in?
I'll lie in wait for the MF'r,take care of business and then call the cops.

Gee, aren't you archetype of the modern day anarchist. It's more likely you'll shoot a neighbor or a family member as you "lie in wait", which BTW, is one element of First Degree Murder.

And they wonder why we're going broke...
Between the salaries and pensions of these assholes is it any wonder?

"assholes"? Next time you need a cop call your insurance agent, if you have a fire call him or her too. Ever watch Victory at Sea? All those draftees and GI's, were government employees too. Better yet, take a walk around a government cemetery and see what some government employees have done for the rest of us.

Envy is a deadly sin, and simply because Stephanie and others like her can't pass a written civil service test, or most likely can't meet the MQ's to even take one, is sad; I understand why she is bitter and others too.

What I can't fathom is the hate bestowed on those who try to make life better and more fair for those who can't qualify for higher paying jobs. Why would someone like Stephanie object to those like her getting a fair wage, a higher minimum wage, health insurance and eventually Social Security?

We all know we need "some" GOVT. What we don't need are duplication of services growing out of control during a 2008 housing recession (for example). Again when private screws up...disappear.
Quick example: we have FBI, CIA, POLICE, military.....on and on. yet GWB added homeland security?

How much security did the Ports of Kansas and Nebraska need? HS was another boondoggle, used by the GWB Administration to get kudos for protecting our nation after the fact of 911.

And as we've seen it doesnt make a tinkers damn who's in office.
They all want to expand the PA.

That's the meme, both major parties are the same. It's far from true, but many actually believe no difference exists.

In fact the one and only similarity is both parties want power, and incumbents all want to be reelected. Both are truisms as is the use of the word bribe to describe campaign donations in the tens of thousands (or in the case of the Koch Brothers, the billions).
And George Soros right? Let's don't forget him ok? You all conveniently always leave him off your rants. And right to work employees make the same as union shop employees. They just don't pay dues.ouch.

Recent example: Boston Bomber. they SHUT down city over one 18 yr old kid? They could not find him for days. Private citizen found him.

Gee, are't you archetype of the modern day anarchist. It's more likely you'll shoot a neighbor or a family member as you "lie in wait", which BTW, is one element of First Degree Murder.

Not when they're in my house.

they must laugh at the rest of the people not "lucky" enough to get on with Daddy Guberment while YOU pay their salary's. what a Gig eh

SNIP:
We’ve all seen the same headlines repeating for the last six years so often that it’s become part and parcel of the national milieu. Times are hard, wages are stagnant and pay isn’t keeping up with the cost of living. It’s tough out there to be sure, but there’s one segment of the American population where that doesn’t seem to be true. If you happen to work for the federal government – regardless of the job you hold, how well you perform or what happens to the market – you’re probably making way more than your counterparts in the private sector. (Government Executive Magazine)

Federal employees on average earned 78 percent more in total compensation than private sector workers in 2014, according to a new study from a conservative think tank.

The Cato Institute’s Chris Edwards compared data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis to show that, in his view, civilian federal workers are overcompensated. Factoring both salary and benefits, Edwards pointed to BEA data showing the average federal employee earns about $119,000 annually, compared to the private sector worker who earns $67,000 per year. When comparing just salaries, feds collect 50 percent bigger paychecks, Edwards said.

Back in 1990 the gap was smaller but still in place. Federal workers back then earned, on average, 39% more than private sector employees performing the same jobs. Owing to the rules of the free market, that shifted for a while during the tech boom of the late nineties, at least in a few sectors of the job market. When there were a limited number of workers skilled in a new industry, wages shot up and passed their government colleagues who were generally held to raises which follow a set formula.

Unfortunately, as Wall Street tanked and the market completely stalled, the private sector paid the price while the federal government kept on plugging along with slower, but steady increases in most cases. This led to what the study’s author describes as a situation where the Washington bureaucracy became “an elite island of secure and high-paid employment, separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

Of course, it doesn’t help that it’s nearly impossible to fire a federal employee.

ALL of it here:
Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts « Hot Air

you want to whine about federal workers making money......whine about the this last crop of GOP welfare kings who get 6 figures of my hard earned dollars and don't do a damn thing to earn it but sit on their white as's and hate on Obama....now put that in your effin pipe and choke on it.
Obama put them there. ouch!!!!!

Obama? No, gerrymandering put them there! If you don't understand that, you need to find a forum on something less mentally taxing.
naw, Obama put them there, in fact he put 15% of working folks there. He's good at getten rid of jobs in the country, and he's got a bill in front of him today that will make it even worse the TPP, Trans Pacific Partnership, designed to send more jobs over seas. I wish just for once you obama lovers knew what the hell you're talking about. just friggin once.

Oh and if he does actually sign that bill, it will be part of the presidential debate on jobs. Trump will eat that one all up and spit at the left.

Last edited:

Gee, are't you archetype of the modern day anarchist. It's more likely you'll shoot a neighbor or a family member as you "lie in wait", which BTW, is one element of First Degree Murder.

You're all hat and no cattle. I suspect your dream is to kill a person and be found to be a hero. You know, the George Zimmerman type. Many who do so end up in prison, where they belong.

You're all hat and no cattle. I suspect your dream is to kill a person and be found to be a hero. You know, the George Zimmerman type. Many who do so end up in prison, where they belong.
dang you are a whiny little fellow aren't you. It must really suck to be you to have that much hate stored up. You should take your own and advice and not use a message forum to let your anger out.
Right to work you don't like that do you. That 78% number will go down once the right to work makes it to more states. watch a tv near you for an update.

Nah..I just know better than to rely on the cops for the wife and I's safety.
But hey,go ahead and make that 911 call and hope for the best,I think I'll pass.

But hey,go ahead and make that 911 call and hope for the best,I think I'll pass.

Get a dog, much safer and more reliable than a gun in keeping strangers out and keeping friends, neighbors and family safe.

Get a dog, much safer and more reliable than a gun in keeping strangers out and keeping friends, neighbors and family safe.

I've got a dog.
And the thief better take the hint when she starts barking.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

That's what happens when you have "Right To Work" laws, and get rid of any bargaining power for employees.

You idiot RWer's will cut off your nose to spite your face every time.

What the hell does that have to do with overpaying city,county and state workers?

They're not being over paid.

If the city,county,state or the fed is going broke trying to pay them they are overpaid.
They live off the backs of the real workers and the real workers are getting sick of it.
So you think Government employees get TAX FREE money? Even pensions are taxed in most states. If those employees are making more money while they work they are paying more taxes than their counterparts in the private sector.

I've got a dog.
Suppose it is NOT a thief but a lost soul stumbling towards a light in the darkness after his/her car breaks down?

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

That's what happens when you have "Right To Work" laws, and get rid of any bargaining power for employees.

What the hell does that have to do with overpaying city,county and state workers?

If the city,county,state or the fed is going broke trying to pay them they are overpaid.
They live off the backs of the real workers and the real workers are getting sick of it.
So you think Government employees get TAX FREE money? Even pensions are taxed in most states. If those employees are making more money while they work they are paying more taxes than their counterparts in the private sector.

What a moron....
They get paid with our tax dollars.
How is it they pay taxes when it was our money to begin with?

Last edited:
I know a liberal idiot who mows the grass at IAH and he'll retire with a full pension.
So what makes him smarter than a wetback?
What a a bizarre question. I know members of MENSA who are taxi cab drivers and former "wetbacks" who eventually got naturalized and own restaurants.

I've got a dog.
Suppose it is NOT a thief but a lost soul stumbling towards a light in the darkness after his/her car breaks down?
why would that person need to break in?

What a moron....
How is they pay taxes when it was our money to begin with?
Keep talking... let our diverse audience decide who the moron is... heh heh heh!

I've got a dog.

Than they kicked my door down to gain access.

What a moron....
How is they pay taxes when it was our money to begin with?
what I'd really like to know is why as a shareholder of the government can't I get some fricken respect when I ask for service from one of these looney toons turds. The attitude of government employees is second to none. They are the most ungrateful class of people I've ever encountered. I think they forget who pays their salary. I'm just saying.

Forum List

Back