Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts

And they wonder why we're going broke...
Between the salaries and pensions of these assholes is it any wonder?

"assholes"? Next time you need a cop call your insurance agent, if you have a fire call him or her too. Ever watch Victory at Sea? All those draftees and GI's, were government employees too. Better yet, take a walk around a government cemetery and see what some government employees have done for the rest of us.

Envy is a deadly sin, and simply because Stephanie and others like her can't pass a written civil service test, or most likely can't meet the MQ's to even take one, is sad; I understand why she is bitter and others too.

What I can't fathom is the hate bestowed on those who try to make life better and more fair for those who can't qualify for higher paying jobs. Why would someone like Stephanie object to those like her getting a fair wage, a higher minimum wage, health insurance and eventually Social Security?

Not 47 percent paying nothing,

I agree: I never said the 47% pay nothing.....I said FED income tax. Sales, gas, property, utilities etc. yes.

I will look it over.

Bottom 40% have a similar tax "burden" as Romney's $14 million income. (17%-20% of income)

Bottom HALF of US avg less than $15,000 PER FAMILY. The 11% of income they make is almost he same amount as the TOP 1/10TH OF 1% ALONE MAKE. Half versus 1/10th of 1%???

https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/09/total-tax-bill-income.jpg

cut/paste from comments section: it is never 100% "clear"

Perhaps Mr Klein omitted many facts based on ignorance, though I suspect it is more based on his political leanings.
First, that 47% number is based on several federal tax figures, including that in the bottom 40% of earners in the US, who owe no federal taxes, they average a federal credit (money paid they never earned) of $2,000 per year per tax filer (a term used as while some tax filers are individuals, the majority are households). This means they actual earn money from the government for simply filing a return, thereby lowering how much they pay in other taxes by the amount of the paid credit they receive. Using his own chart and $40,000 base figure, a filer earning $40,000 paying 12.3% of their income in state and local taxes would have paid $4,920 in state and local taxes, take away their $2,000 credit from the Federal Taxes, that means they paid an effective total of $2,920 in state and local taxes, or 7.3% of their income, not 12.3%.
Secondly, he uses the term payroll taxes when what he actually meant was Social Security Taxes. this was to make it seem to his readers that the rich get a break after 110,000 dollars of earnings. Social Security taxes are not paid above $110,000 because when calculating Social Security pay outs, the earning cap is $110,000. To charge money for Social Security above that amount while not letting a person take the payment for over that amount would be unfair, except in the eyes of our Studious reporter here.
When this reporter tries to convince you that the heaviest tax burden is on the poor, what he is trying to do is get you to forget the facts and put logic aside to help his points go through without fact checking, which is probably why he failed to notice the many inconsistent facts from the chart he chose to use to bring you his facts and conclusions.

"assholes"? Next time you need a cop call your insurance agent, if you have a fire call him or her too. Ever watch Victory at Sea? All those draftees and GI's, were government employees too. Better yet, take a walk around a government cemetery and see what some government employees have done for the rest of us.

Envy is a deadly sin, and simply because Stephanie and others like her can't pass a written civil service test, or most likely can't meet the MQ's to even take one, is sad; I understand why she is bitter and others too.

What I can't fathom is the hate bestowed on those who try to make life better and more fair for those who can't qualify for higher paying jobs. Why would someone like Stephanie object to those like her getting a fair wage, a higher minimum wage, health insurance and eventually Social Security?

We all know we need "some" GOVT. What we don't need are duplication of services growing out of control during a 2008 housing recession (for example). Again when private screws up...disappear.
Quick example: we have FBI, CIA, POLICE, military.....on and on. yet GWB added homeland security?

https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/09/total-tax-bill-income.jpg

cut/paste from comments section: it is never 100% "clear"

Perhaps Mr Klein omitted many facts based on ignorance, though I suspect it is more based on his political leanings.
First, that 47% number is based on several federal tax figures, including that in the bottom 40% of earners in the US, who owe no federal taxes, they average a federal credit (money paid they never earned) of $2,000 per year per tax filer (a term used as while some tax filers are individuals, the majority are households). This means they actual earn money from the government for simply filing a return, thereby lowering how much they pay in other taxes by the amount of the paid credit they receive. Using his own chart and $40,000 base figure, a filer earning $40,000 paying 12.3% of their income in state and local taxes would have paid $4,920 in state and local taxes, take away their $2,000 credit from the Federal Taxes, that means they paid an effective total of $2,920 in state and local taxes, or 7.3% of their income, not 12.3%.
Secondly, he uses the term payroll taxes when what he actually meant was Social Security Taxes. this was to make it seem to his readers that the rich get a break after 110,000 dollars of earnings. Social Security taxes are not paid above $110,000 because when calculating Social Security pay outs, the earning cap is $110,000. To charge money for Social Security above that amount while not letting a person take the payment for over that amount would be unfair, except in the eyes of our Studious reporter here.
When this reporter tries to convince you that the heaviest tax burden is on the poor, what he is trying to do is get you to forget the facts and put logic aside to help his points go through without fact checking, which is probably why he failed to notice the many inconsistent facts from the chart he chose to use to bring you his facts and conclusions.

SO MATH ISN'T MATH ION RIGHT WING WORLD? SERIOUSLY? PERCENTAGES DON'T MATTER? LOL

OK, USING A "COMMENT" WITHOUT ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO BACK UP HIS ASSERTION:

"First, that 47% number is based on several federal tax figures, including that in the bottom 40% of earners in the US, who owe no federal taxes, they average a federal credit (money paid they never earned) of $2,000 per year per tax filer"

SOURCE? MY LINK WAS FROM

Citizens for Tax Justice

Which is why, if you want to understand who's paying what in taxes, you don't want to just look at federal income taxes, or federal payroll taxes, or state sales taxes -- you want to look at total taxes. And, luckily, the tax analysis group Citizens for Tax Justice keeps those numbers. So here is total taxes -- which includes corporate taxes, income taxes, payroll taxes, state sales taxes, and more -- paid by different income groups and broken into federal and state and local burdens:

The one tax graph you really need to know

We all know we need "some" GOVT. What we don't need are duplication of services growing out of control during a 2008 housing recession (for example). Again when private screws up...disappear.
Quick example: we have FBI, CIA, POLICE, military.....on and on. yet GWB added homeland security?

Duplication? MORE RIGHT WING NONSENSE based on the right wing echo chamber of misinformation, distortion and LIES. Shocking

Political-memes-anti-republican.png

supply-side%2Beconomics.jpg

Next time I need a cop? :lmao:
Yeah right..they show up after the fact and to date they've been zero help in the few times I've called them.
We can no longer afford the pensions and thats that.

If you went to work 2008-2012 you saw the parking lots empty out at Private corps. You saw the GOVT (fed and state) parking lots fill up more and more each year. When things go bad.....we suffer. They are golden. you cannot possibly argue that other than to say.......you need more services when citizens are in trouble?

Please......"it" is not efficient "enough", there is massive waste/duplication/fraud identified often. GOVT workers never get fired, layed off, pay reduced. Retire earlier with more..........on an on. Maybe some of it is not all bad......but please please, don't try to tell us how great "it" is. We are not stupid. We hear, see, we know some things too. Some of us even have inside information.

AVG? 47% pay ZERO FED income taxes. I was referring to mid-level typical worker, TOTAL tax paid out could be very high.

Ignore Dumb2three, he is a mindless hack who does nothing other than post shit from the hate sites.

I will say this though, the Post Office is constitutionally mandated and does actually perform a service. While I oppose Unionizing in any government job, as it is open corruption, I have far less concern over the PO than I do with the department of cow feces statistics or the federal bureau of chicken feather research. The vast majority of people employed by the federal government do jobs that no sane person would pay to have done.

Last edited:

How to pass a civil service exam:

Ethnicity;
  1. White not hispanic (automatic disqualification)
  2. African American (add 60 points)
  3. Asian
  4. American Indian (add 10 points)
  5. Hispanic (add 30 points)
Religion:
  1. Christian (automatic disqualification)
  2. Muslim (add 60 points)
  3. Atheist (add 10 points)
  4. Agnostic
  5. Buddhist
  6. Pagan (add 30 points)
  7. Hindu (add 20 points)
Primary language spoken:
  1. English (automatic disqualification)
  2. Spanish (add 100 points)
  3. Hindi (add 50 points)
  4. Farsi (add 20 points)
  5. Mandarin

How much security did the Ports of Kansas and Nebraska need? HS was another boondoggle, used by the GWB Administration to get kudos for protecting our nation after the fact of 911.

How much security did the Ports of Kansas and Nebraska need? HS was another boondoggle, used by the GWB Administration to get kudos for protecting our nation after the fact of 911.

And as we've seen it doesnt make a tinkers damn who's in office.
They all want to expand the PA.

How to pass a civil service exam:

Ethnicity;
  1. White not hispanic (automatic disqualification)
  2. African American (add 60 points)
  3. Asian
  4. American Indian (add 10 points)
  5. Hispanic (add 30 points)
Religion:
  1. Christian (automatic disqualification)
  2. Muslim (add 60 points)
  3. Atheist (add 10 points)
  4. Agnostic
  5. Buddhist
  6. Pagan (add 30 points)
  7. Hindu (add 20 points)
Primary language spoken:
  1. English (automatic disqualification)
  2. Spanish (add 100 points)
  3. Hindi (add 50 points)
  4. Farsi (add 20 points)
  5. Mandarin

Your bigotry is only surpassed by your ignorance. Of course this ^^^ hyperbole may get you thanks from others like you, but facts never get in the way of a 21st Century iteration of the set of conservatives.

they must laugh at the rest of the people not "lucky" enough to get on with Daddy Guberment while YOU pay their salary's. what a Gig eh

SNIP:
We’ve all seen the same headlines repeating for the last six years so often that it’s become part and parcel of the national milieu. Times are hard, wages are stagnant and pay isn’t keeping up with the cost of living. It’s tough out there to be sure, but there’s one segment of the American population where that doesn’t seem to be true. If you happen to work for the federal government – regardless of the job you hold, how well you perform or what happens to the market – you’re probably making way more than your counterparts in the private sector. (Government Executive Magazine)

Federal employees on average earned 78 percent more in total compensation than private sector workers in 2014, according to a new study from a conservative think tank.

The Cato Institute’s Chris Edwards compared data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis to show that, in his view, civilian federal workers are overcompensated. Factoring both salary and benefits, Edwards pointed to BEA data showing the average federal employee earns about $119,000 annually, compared to the private sector worker who earns $67,000 per year. When comparing just salaries, feds collect 50 percent bigger paychecks, Edwards said.

Back in 1990 the gap was smaller but still in place. Federal workers back then earned, on average, 39% more than private sector employees performing the same jobs. Owing to the rules of the free market, that shifted for a while during the tech boom of the late nineties, at least in a few sectors of the job market. When there were a limited number of workers skilled in a new industry, wages shot up and passed their government colleagues who were generally held to raises which follow a set formula.

Unfortunately, as Wall Street tanked and the market completely stalled, the private sector paid the price while the federal government kept on plugging along with slower, but steady increases in most cases. This led to what the study’s author describes as a situation where the Washington bureaucracy became “an elite island of secure and high-paid employment, separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

Of course, it doesn’t help that it’s nearly impossible to fire a federal employee.

ALL of it here:
Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts « Hot Air

That's what happens when you have "Right To Work" laws, and get rid of any bargaining power for employees.

You idiot RWer's will cut off your nose to spite your face every time.

What the hell does that have to do with overpaying city,county and state workers?
that he doesn't like right to work laws. But the employees in those scenarios make what the union dudes make. So he's merely upset at the union break away from private citizens.

they must laugh at the rest of the people not "lucky" enough to get on with Daddy Guberment while YOU pay their salary's. what a Gig eh

SNIP:
We’ve all seen the same headlines repeating for the last six years so often that it’s become part and parcel of the national milieu. Times are hard, wages are stagnant and pay isn’t keeping up with the cost of living. It’s tough out there to be sure, but there’s one segment of the American population where that doesn’t seem to be true. If you happen to work for the federal government – regardless of the job you hold, how well you perform or what happens to the market – you’re probably making way more than your counterparts in the private sector. (Government Executive Magazine)

Federal employees on average earned 78 percent more in total compensation than private sector workers in 2014, according to a new study from a conservative think tank.

The Cato Institute’s Chris Edwards compared data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis to show that, in his view, civilian federal workers are overcompensated. Factoring both salary and benefits, Edwards pointed to BEA data showing the average federal employee earns about $119,000 annually, compared to the private sector worker who earns $67,000 per year. When comparing just salaries, feds collect 50 percent bigger paychecks, Edwards said.

Back in 1990 the gap was smaller but still in place. Federal workers back then earned, on average, 39% more than private sector employees performing the same jobs. Owing to the rules of the free market, that shifted for a while during the tech boom of the late nineties, at least in a few sectors of the job market. When there were a limited number of workers skilled in a new industry, wages shot up and passed their government colleagues who were generally held to raises which follow a set formula.

Unfortunately, as Wall Street tanked and the market completely stalled, the private sector paid the price while the federal government kept on plugging along with slower, but steady increases in most cases. This led to what the study’s author describes as a situation where the Washington bureaucracy became “an elite island of secure and high-paid employment, separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

Of course, it doesn’t help that it’s nearly impossible to fire a federal employee.

ALL of it here:
Good work if you can get it: Federal workers making 78% more than private sector counterparts « Hot Air

That's what happens when you have "Right To Work" laws, and get rid of any bargaining power for employees.

What the hell does that have to do with overpaying city,county and state workers?

They're not being over paid.
sure they are.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

you want to whine about federal workers making money......whine about the this last crop of GOP welfare kings who get 6 figures of my hard earned dollars and don't do a damn thing to earn it but sit on their white as's and hate on Obama....now put that in your effin pipe and choke on it.
Obama put them there. ouch!!!!!

And as we've seen it doesnt make a tinkers damn who's in office.
They all want to expand the PA.

That's the meme, both major parties are the same. It's far from true, but many actually believe no difference exists.

In fact the one and only similarity is both parties want power, and incumbents all want to be reelected. Both are truisms as is the use of the word bribe to describe campaign donations in the tens of thousands (or in the case of the Koch Brothers, the billions).

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Yeah....because we all know those liberal states are having no problem meeting the payments on pensions.:lmao:

I think you need to update your info and check out those red "Right To Work For Less" welfare state stats.
what about em?

Forum List

Back