GOP introduces national right-to-work legislation

Without the Unions, we would be living and working in the same conditions that existed prior to the First Great Republican Depression. And, given the orange clown's intentions, and those of the GOP, we may see that again, just before the Second Great Republican Depression.

I'm sure you are aware that the Great Depression was extended by SEVEN YEARS and that F.D.R. warned strongly against public sector unions.

Absolutely necessary and beneficial to the economy. Especially good if it includes public service unions! Expect the unions to fight this tooth and nail.

"At least 80 percent of Americans are opposed to forcing employees to pay dues as a condition of their employment, and our bill would protect workers by eliminating the forced-dues clauses in federal statute. Right-to-work states, like South Carolina, have seen first-hand that job creation and economic growth comes from expanded freedoms. We need to expand common-sense reforms, like those in the National Right to Work Act to protect American workers and create jobs," Wilson told the Washington Examiner.

More w/links @ GOP introduces national right-to-work legislation
Good! Long overdue. If someone does not wish to become a union automaton and financial shill, they should not be forced to do so. I still remember my first union indoctrination after I retired from the military. Some sleazy, greased-back, over-dressed slime-bag stepped into the classroom and passed out a half-sheet form that required us to relinquish a portion of our earnings to the union, and to agree to contribute a monthly stipend thereafter. I asked the sleaze-ball what would happen if I declined to sign his form. He told me that I would no longer have a job. So, if I don't agree to pay the union an "initiation" and a monthly tribute, I will be denied a job?, I ask him. He tells me, "Yes". OK, so if I don't pay the union a portion of my earnings, I will be denied a job? "Yes." In my book, that constitutes extortion. The guy didn't seem to like me much...
They should have ZERO benefits the union provides then but we know the truth y'all love free shit when you can screw a worker over for it

No 125% is what you put in when you want to advance faster than those that only put in 100% heh

There's other personal benefits too. I find it deeply satisfying to do a good job, to solve a problem for someone, etc. It's the same reason lefties do SJW activities, except mine happens to result in businesses succeeding heh

My guess is that you are a union officer for a public service. Rightfully, most of the others have lapsed into oblivion.

Nope. I'm a Local Steward for an 8 person engineering go related department in a privately owned electric utility company.

Hopefully then, your state will a right to work state soon. Especially with your attitude that the work of all should only rise to the level of the worst.

Related: Right to work states in blue

959px-Right_to_Work_states.svg.png

Absolutely we do. You don't like it when someone performs better than you do and want to prevent them from doing so. You want to give only the exact amount you feel like you owe and no more, but resent someone who has a different perspective and different drives. That's ridiculous.

Let people be themselves and let them reap the benefits if that's what they want. If you only want to do your 40 hours, do it and be happy.

Please explain to me why ANY sane individual would do extra work for the same amount of pay as the guy next to him who is doing what the job require.

I work to make a living. I do not live to work. Never have and never will. Those of you who want to give 125% make regular people look bad for no reason. He'll, I've had three knuckleheads in my Department over the last six years who I had to sit down and threaten to file charges against if they didn't cease their extra activities.

Sorry, I've never seen a union worker give more than 50 or 60 percent. I think the post office has a practice tread mill, set at slow, for all postal wor
No, regardless of who: NEVER help. NEVER stop. NEVER get involved.

Pathetic. Your union boss must love you.

It's not without reason. I work[ed] extra because /I/ enjoy[ed] it, it also gave me a leg up on promotions, thus leading to higher paying jobs.

It is without reason when you know that you cannot advance any quicker or get anything extra out of it.

To your point.. So 100% is no longer the criteria for a job? Since when did 125% become the expectation? If I buy a soda I don't expect them to super-sized it for free. If I buy a sandwich I don't expect to get the chips for free. Why would it be otherwise in the job market?

I /know/ it /IS/ with reason, and my career proves it without question. I was very much promoted over others because of the extra effort I put in, and perhaps even more so my rapid advancement in Alaska which was a rather hostile environment to women. I became a manager within three months in the first full time job I was hired into. I smoked every chauvinistic seniority waving male jackass that came at me and proved to the business owner that I was the best person for the position, even if I was just a 19 year old girl. Some of the guys rage quit over it heh

100% is the criteria if you don't want to be the first on one the list for canning, it is not the criteria for being the first one on the list for a promotion. Another analogy to consider - A bakers dozen.

Absolutely necessary and beneficial to the economy. Especially good if it includes public service unions! Expect the unions to fight this tooth and nail.

"At least 80 percent of Americans are opposed to forcing employees to pay dues as a condition of their employment, and our bill would protect workers by eliminating the forced-dues clauses in federal statute. Right-to-work states, like South Carolina, have seen first-hand that job creation and economic growth comes from expanded freedoms. We need to expand common-sense reforms, like those in the National Right to Work Act to protect American workers and create jobs," Wilson told the Washington Examiner.

More w/links @ GOP introduces national right-to-work legislation
So smashing unions to drive down wages and benefits is somehow going to make American workers able to buy the new gas hog SUVs (12-15 mpg highway) and quadruple their monthly fuel budget just to get to work and back...to make less money than a union would've brought them?? You know the dragon is going to eat the end of his tail any minute now...

Did EVERY single lawmaker in DC fail elementary school math?..

Yes, we see how well those unions worked for our auto industry and Detroit. Impressive.

Heroshima%20Detroit_zpsue7ui2fh.jpg

As long as you don't break his legs.

Nope. He just better hope I'm not the first one to drive by if he's in a car wreck, cause I'm just gonna keep right on driving (as I would expect him to do in a reversed sutuation).
Ayup. You're a union thug alright. I doubt he hates you like you hate him.

Say Ice, you never did post the "facts" I requested from you. You do know, if you claim facts back you up and then don't supply those facts, well it looks like a bluff to me.

Oh, an article from the "National Review", which makes my point. That as the unions go, so do the workers share of the national income.
Removing Union Wage Ceilings
Removing Union Wage Ceilings, by James Sherk, National Review
And another article:
The Decline Of Unions Is A Middle Class Problem
The Decline Of Unions Is A Middle Class Problem
So, here are two conservative publications backing what I stated.
Thus, you need to contradict my post, with the facts you claim to have.
Thank you.
So you found a couple of op-eds? And regulations and taxes have nothing to do with it? How is that possible. You made the assertion and I challenged it. I don't need to prove you are wrong but I'll note you are relying on opinion pieces not facts.
Opinions by experts based on reality and facts override your opinion based on ,,,nothing but conjecture.

Regardless, opinions are like...well, you know.

As for EX-SPURTS opinions, we've seen how well your economic messiah, Paul Krugman has done!

There is no competition when one side has all the power. Unions even things up.
no unions drive up the cost of everything because they will never get rid of a job that is obsolete.
I dont accept that opinion as valid. And in any case the opposite of that is a race to the bottom where everything is made by Chinese and Bangladeshi toddlers.
In effect the sick society that you and your ilk whine about 24/7.
You are conflicted sir.
That's what has been happening more and more so your theory needs work.

As usual you miss the point in spectacular fashion.

Jobs go overseas because the corporations feed off inequality and not because unions fight for a fairer slice of the pie.
If the world was more equal then you would not feel the need to build this ridiculous wall.
If the world was more equal you'd be paying a lot more for everything.
Not necessarily. If the world was more equal then ,for example, Africa would become an important market and we would sell more to them. We would all benefit.

And the man would not be able to play off Mexican against American in order to depress wages.

And most importantly the world would be a better place to live.

no unions drive up the cost of everything because they will never get rid of a job that is obsolete.
I dont accept that opinion as valid. And in any case the opposite of that is a race to the bottom where everything is made by Chinese and Bangladeshi toddlers.
You are conflicted sir.

Jobs go overseas because the corporations feed off inequality and not because unions fight for a fairer slice of the pie.
If the world was more equal then you would not feel the need to build this ridiculous wall.
Not necessarily. If the world was more equal then ,for example, Africa would become an important market and we would sell more to them. We would all benefit.

And the man would not be able to play off Mexican against American in order to depress wages.

I bet you believe in unicorns

No 125% is what you put in when you want to advance faster than those that only put in 100% heh

There's other personal benefits too. I find it deeply satisfying to do a good job, to solve a problem for someone, etc. It's the same reason lefties do SJW activities, except mine happens to result in businesses succeeding heh

I'm perfectly fine to be tapped out at the top of my progression roster right now and have no intention of ever bidding on the one job I could advance to from here. No interest in a Senior Tech position.

Personal benefits don't pay bills.

"Right to be exploited", more like.

Look at workers in Western Europe, and how their unions got them paid parental leave, shorter work weeks, better benefits, unlimited sick time, and ultimately....higher productivity.

Hopefully then, your state will a right to work state soon. Especially with your attitude that the work of all should only rise to the level of the worst.

Not the worst..... the Contractually agreed upon level.

Yeah.....cause about the best thing we could do for the economy right now would be anything which might drive down wages....

Or a war..........a war would work, too.....

If unions are such a wonderful thing why do you have to be forced to join it and how come every state that enacts Right to Work legislation sees an immediate exodus of union members from their unions?

As a Union Steward I will say this.....

ANY worker in my department who does not pay dues WILL NOT be supported, protected or represented by me, or any other Union Officer.

Ever think that maybe they never wanted it in the first place?

Absolutely we do. You don't like it when someone performs better than you do and want to prevent them from doing so. You want to give only the exact amount you feel like you owe and no more, but resent someone who has a different perspective and different drives. That's ridiculous.

Let people be themselves and let them reap the benefits if that's what they want. If you only want to do your 40 hours, do it and be happy.

Please explain to me why ANY sane individual would do extra work for the same amount of pay as the guy next to him who is doing what the job require.

I work to make a living. I do not live to work. Never have and never will. Those of you who want to give 125% make regular people look bad for no reason. He'll, I've had three knuckleheads in my Department over the last six years who I had to sit down and threaten to file charges against if they didn't cease their extra activities.
They do it because they know it pays off in the long run. Who is first in line for the ax when business drops off and the company can't afford to keep all the workers, the one who only does what he's absolutely required to do or the one who doesn't worry so much about the clock and does what ever is necessary to get the job done right and on time? Who is first in line for a promotion, the one who only does what he's absolutely required to do or the one who doesn't worry so much about the clock and does what ever is necessary to get the job done right and on time? Who is going to get the better recommendation for the next job?

Your attitude shows that you're not really happy with your chosen path, because you fight to prevent others from being happy with their's, and you know that them following their desires makes you following your's look bad.

No one plays Mexican's ( or any other countries) workers against American workers. It's not a pissing contest, it's what happens when the government fucks up capitalism.

The reality is that in the US we charge a shit ton for labor, because of unions, because of forced regulations (everyone has their hand in that pot; FDA, EPA, DHS, local muni and state, etc.) and taxes (like employer's cut of Social Security & Unemployment Tax, worker's compensation, and currently ACA etc.,) as well as a higher standard of living in general. We've made it nearly impossible for companies to compete without massive cash on hand (and even then it fails sometimes; see auto manufacturers and banks for example.) Businesses practically /have/ to be multi-national billion dollar companies to employee more than a few workers in the states; it's also why all most of the local smaller places were put under by box stores because they couldn't afford to compete with their massively wealthy competition who'd cut prices using their national (or international) profits to bolster eating a loss for a few months and wipe out the competition, then with the little places gone they were able take their product prices a hair higher to offset the labor costs. On top of that those companies then get a tax write off for the loss in that store - aka their action was rewarded two fold. No shit it continued to the point that a lot of companies have de-facto monopolies.

The situation is made even worse by the shitty ass education these kids are getting, even if we look past the blatant hatred for management and businesses these kids are being taught, they are /not/ being taught how to run a business, how businesses operate, or anything - they're clueless morons who can barely get their fucking asses to work on time, much less actually do the jobs they are assigned. Then instead of letting up a bit the gov raises the income one can qualify for welfare under, blames business for not paying workers enough to stay off welfare, then blames the whole mess on businesses and gets "permission" from the people to double down on corporate taxes and shit to "make up for not paying enough" and try to extract every penny of profit from companies who aren't in the 1% of multinational companies - no shit businesses leave America...

It's not without reason. I work[ed] extra because /I/ enjoy[ed] it, it also gave me a leg up on promotions, thus leading to higher paying jobs.

It is without reason when you know that you cannot advance any quicker or get anything extra out of it.

To your point.. So 100% is no longer the criteria for a job? Since when did 125% become the expectation? If I buy a soda I don't expect them to super-sized it for free. If I buy a sandwich I don't expect to get the chips for free. Why would it be otherwise in the job market?
100% is the expectation. 125% is the exception. Some people like to be exceptional. It's none of your business why, just accept the fact that they are willing to work harder and be more valuable than you. If you don't want to, and only want to do exactly what's required, go for it and be happy, but stop trying to prevent others from being happy in what they do.

You are conflicted sir.

Most certainly you would pay more for everything. That's not even controversial. Where do you think Africans would get the money to afford our goods and services? From higher prices for their goods, of course.

Forum List

Back