GOP’s Obsession With Guns Stands To Drive Women Vote In The 2014 Election: Poll

By EVAN MCMORRIS-SANTORO

Women who don’t usually vote in midterm elections — the same women who generally drive Democratic victories — will turn out in 2014 over the issue of guns, according to a recent poll.

The survey released by Women Donors Network, a self-described progressive “community of women philanthropists,” found that a subset of women voters who usually don’t vote in midterm elections are more likely to vote in 2014 on the issue of gun violence.

That echoes what former Rep. Steve LaTourette (OH), now a militant moderate leader in the Republican Party, said on Tuesday when he cautioned his party against sticking too close to the National Rifle Association in the post-Newtown legislative push to reduce gun violence. If the GOP is seen as being in the pocket of the NRA, he said, it could cost the party big with women in future elections.

The survey, which was conducted by Democratic pollster Diane Feldman and Republican pollster Bob Carpenter using live phone calls to 1,500 women, found that “women who may not ordinarily vote in a non-presidential year are among those most engaged with issues of gun violence.” The group also posted a PDF slide deck presenting the poll’s findings.

Feldman explained in an interview with TPM on Wednesday the results mean guns could be good politics for Democrats.

“As we approach the 2014 congressional elections, the question will be to what degree do single women, lower income women, persons of color participate since that’s the Democratic edge,” she said. “And this is an issue that can encourage them to participate.”

Strong support for universal background checks on firearms purchases and a focus on mental health and reducing violence in schools could rally these women to the polls in unexpected numbers in 2014, Feldman said. They also happen to be part of President Obama’s proposals following the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. Feldman called the potential increase in minority and lower income women voters “significant.” And that could change the dynamics of the election (thought it would also have an impact dependent upon the demographics of given congressional districts.)

More: Gun Issue May Drive Women To 2014 Polls | TPMDC

Poll

I bet it will drive the minority vote higher too.

there attempts to keep black people standing in lines so long they have to leave and not vote will drive it too.

Oh, so now you're asking me? Okay...

1. I'm strongly for universal background checks. STRONGLY.

2. I'm for limiting high-capacity magazines to 10-rounds max.

3. I'm for MAXIMUM penalties for misusing firearms and/or not properly securing them.

4. I'm mildly against banning semi-automatic rifles, because that would inherently mean also banning semi-automatic pistols. However, I prefer revolvers and bolt/lever-action rifles.

5. I'm indifferent on banning so-called assault weapons. I don't see their need, but I remain indifferent.

My point is made. The clip thing is idiotic, so called assault weapons are actually the SAME as asemi automatic rifles, and while misusing firearms CRIMINALLY is fine to punish, I have a feeling to you proper storing is locked up and unloaded, which is a no go.

Listening to you on gun control is like listening to PETA about calories in fast food burgers. We all know they dont care about the calorie content, what they want to do is ban burgers.

You made no point. You asked for my opinion - and I gave it.

Just how many gun laws and gun regulations has the government already passed? Can you provide for me an actual count of these gun laws already in effect? Yet has ANY of these laws been effective in stopping the recovery of an illegal firearm, or kept those who have no right ever owning one..... from carrying a gun? Let's be honest here.

The article is talking about "women who don't usually vote in midterm elections"...

It's the first sentence in the OP.
You Bozos really think you can keep this scaremongering freakery up for a year and a half and it'll be effective?

Really? :lmao:

Hey bozo, you really think that in a year and one half, that there won't be numerous examples of stupid gun nuts that don't keep their gun safe and secure and some crazy gets a gun and starts killing kids. You think something like that won't happen again?

And that people won't recall those acts prior to the elections?

Hmmm...maybe with folks like you, gun "registration" would be more appropriate. Unless - you're a law-abiding gun owner. I would suggest you only put 10 rounds in your magazines until further notice...

BTW, do you always obey the speed limits?

Actually I haven't had a speeding ticket since the early 70's and it was dismissed. And I'll keep my 14+1 when I carry, there is no law against it. You did't answer how you would verify checks, come on give us the details.

How are checks currently verified? How does E-Verify work?

It's amazing to hear about all this E-Verify, and more restrictions through a more "universal" method.....,. yet talk about regulations and added verification methods when it comes to validating the identity of a voter ..... oh no we can't have that, it's our constitutional rights you are tampering with. Last I checked, the right to bear arms is specifically found in the second amendment. Is there not "fear mongering" to be exasperated and distorted among the left when it comes to authenticating the identity of a voter? Care to explain your about face on the "constitutionality" of the issue? Sounds like more government regulations DOES come with its exceptions, when its results becomes harmful to the agenda of the left.

By EVAN MCMORRIS-SANTORO

Women who don’t usually vote in midterm elections — the same women who generally drive Democratic victories — will turn out in 2014 over the issue of guns, according to a recent poll.

The survey released by Women Donors Network, a self-described progressive “community of women philanthropists,” found that a subset of women voters who usually don’t vote in midterm elections are more likely to vote in 2014 on the issue of gun violence.

That echoes what former Rep. Steve LaTourette (OH), now a militant moderate leader in the Republican Party, said on Tuesday when he cautioned his party against sticking too close to the National Rifle Association in the post-Newtown legislative push to reduce gun violence. If the GOP is seen as being in the pocket of the NRA, he said, it could cost the party big with women in future elections.

The survey, which was conducted by Democratic pollster Diane Feldman and Republican pollster Bob Carpenter using live phone calls to 1,500 women, found that “women who may not ordinarily vote in a non-presidential year are among those most engaged with issues of gun violence.” The group also posted a PDF slide deck presenting the poll’s findings.

Feldman explained in an interview with TPM on Wednesday the results mean guns could be good politics for Democrats.

“As we approach the 2014 congressional elections, the question will be to what degree do single women, lower income women, persons of color participate since that’s the Democratic edge,” she said. “And this is an issue that can encourage them to participate.”

Strong support for universal background checks on firearms purchases and a focus on mental health and reducing violence in schools could rally these women to the polls in unexpected numbers in 2014, Feldman said. They also happen to be part of President Obama’s proposals following the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. Feldman called the potential increase in minority and lower income women voters “significant.” And that could change the dynamics of the election (thought it would also have an impact dependent upon the demographics of given congressional districts.)

More: Gun Issue May Drive Women To 2014 Polls | TPMDC

Poll

there attempts to keep black people standing in lines so long they have to leave and not vote will drive it too.

Why would you think that when in fact see below

gun-control-is-racist.jpg

My point is made. The clip thing is idiotic, so called assault weapons are actually the SAME as asemi automatic rifles, and while misusing firearms CRIMINALLY is fine to punish, I have a feeling to you proper storing is locked up and unloaded, which is a no go.

Listening to you on gun control is like listening to PETA about calories in fast food burgers. We all know they dont care about the calorie content, what they want to do is ban burgers.

Just how many gun laws and gun regulations has the government already passed? Can you provide for me an actual count of these gun laws already in effect? Yet has ANY of these laws been effective in stopping the recovery of an illegal firearm, or kept those who have no right ever owning one..... from carrying a gun? Let's be honest here.

Dude, there is no shortage of laws. There is a serious shortage among gun owners of common sense.

What we need in more common sense among gun owners. You don't like laws? OK. Then how do you get the gun nutters to practice common sense gun safety.

And of course you want an example of what I am speaking to. Here it is; Adam Lanza's mother was a legal gun owner who purchased high power weapons with plenty of ammo and made them available to a son with mental societal issues. Not even a gun safe. Or trigger locks. No common sense in controlling her own guns.

No common sense by gun owners will equal more gun laws by other gun and non gun owners. Trying to save lives by law because common gun sense ain't working.

Using dead children to curtail Freedom, that is the only obsession I am seeing.

Why would you think that when in fact see below

gun-control-is-racist.jpg

I think your full of crap and so it the ad.

it will not convince any black people to vote for more guns in their neighborhoods

Big Reb... you shouldn't try to play the race card, you kind of suck at it.

Fact is, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household, and the FBI recorded that there were only 201 cases of "justifiable homicide" committed with guns in 2010.

FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

The notion you need a gun to protect yourself is laughable. But the gun industry knows a sucker when they see one.

Like I said, let the INNOCENT victims of gun violence collect damages from the gun industry and their big investors, then we'll see how keen they are on "the second Amendment".... bet they'll be for "well-regulated militias" really quickly.

The article is talking about "women who don't usually vote in midterm elections"...

It's the first sentence in the OP.
You Bozos really think you can keep this scaremongering freakery up for a year and a half and it'll be effective?

Hey bozo, you really think that in a year and one half, that there won't be numerous examples of stupid gun nuts that don't keep their gun safe and secure and some crazy gets a gun and starts killing kids. You think something like that won't happen again?

Hey dickweed, you really think that people are so stupid and won't tire of your and the lamestream media's antics in trying to shove your fascistic agenda down America's throat?...That they'll swing over to your side the more and more that you bathe yourselves in the blood of innocent victims?

Really?

Dude, there is no shortage of laws. There is a serious shortage among gun owners of common sense.

What we need in more common sense among gun owners. You don't like laws? OK. Then how do you get the gun nutters to practice common sense gun safety.

And of course you want an example of what I am speaking to. Here it is; Adam Lanza's mother was a legal gun owner who purchased high power weapons with plenty of ammo and made them available to a son with mental societal issues. Not even a gun safe. Or trigger locks. No common sense in controlling her own guns.

No common sense by gun owners will equal more gun laws by other gun and non gun owners. Trying to save lives by law because common gun sense ain't working.

Government laws can't change the "mind" and determination of someone that's got it set in their mind to kill a group of kids, a senator, a cheating or abusive spouse, etc. Do you want to address video game violence, or Hollywood's OWN profit from violent and further "realistic" dismemberment gore that's meant to shock and awe its audience? We live in a society that pushes to desensitize people (and kids) with the sheer amount of violence overwhelming our youth...... violence that's also glorified. Where is the common sense effort towards addressing these issues? A gun is only a tool to the individual that is brought up in a constant barrage and exposure to the "glorifying" of it's use.

Government laws can't change the "mind" and determination of someone that's got it set in their mind to kill a group of kids, a senator, a cheating or abusive spouse, etc. Do you want to address video game violence, or Hollywood's OWN profit from violent and further "realistic" dismemberment gore that's meant to shock and awe its audience? We live in a society that pushes to desensitize people (and kids) with the sheer amount of violence overwhelming our youth...... violence that's also glorified. Where is the common sense effort towards addressing these issues? A gun is only a tool to the individual that is brought up in a constant barrage and exposure to the "glorifying" of it's use.

It's a shame that you obessed gun nutters on here can't even engage in a real discussion.

The idea I presented is that a great number of crazy gun nutters have no idea of safe and secure gun storage. And that is a big problem. More so than any of the other issues you wanted to bring up.

Why didn't you want to discuss common sense gun safety and how it is not practiced as much as it should be? Could it be because it makes you nutters look bad? Nah. No way.

You nutters have been ordained by the gun Gods to protect guns. Common sense be damned.

remember when a dad and a gun selller handed a 10 year old a semi and he shot himself with it within secinds of being handed the gun?

the nutters think they know how t handle guns but they are nuts so who can trust them?

Hey dickweed, you really think that people are so stupid and won't tire of your and the lamestream media's antics in trying to shove your fascistic agenda down America's throat?...That they'll swing over to your side the more and more that you bathe yourselves in the blood of innocent victims?

Really?

Once again you stupid fuk. The current outrage over the killing will die down. Then there will be another killing to bring it back to the forefront of the public concious. And it won't have anything to do with liberals or rethugs. It will have everything to do with more innocent people getting killed. Is that really more than you can understand?

Big Reb... you shouldn't try to play the race card, you kind of suck at it.

Fact is, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household, and the FBI recorded that there were only 201 cases of "justifiable homicide" committed with guns in 2010.

FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

The notion you need a gun to protect yourself is laughable. But the gun industry knows a sucker when they see one.

Like I said, let the INNOCENT victims of gun violence collect damages from the gun industry and their big investors, then we'll see how keen they are on "the second Amendment".... bet they'll be for "well-regulated militias" really quickly.

Dumb ass you have no facts, why do you keep repeating the same myth?
And yes stupid the first gun control laws were used against blacks.

Here's a disarmed black man was visited by the klan
Lynching-1889.jpg

Forum List

Back