GOP using deception in fake political ads

Screen-Shot-2014-02-07-at-4.53.11-AM.png

I suppose one could argue that the web site address itself, is fraudulent. I suppose one could also argue that the large banner advertising the opposition, was more prominent than the large bold font explaining what you are paying for. If someone was on a lap top and had bad eye sight and the sun was reflecting on it... yeah he might make a mistake.

Yeah ok just from the web site address and that pic, I'd say it's arguable that this site is attempting to perpetrate a fraud.

Since this is the age of the Internet one would think people would be on the look out for things not being what they appear to be. In this case it is fairly obvious it is what it appears to be. I think it is a smart idea the web site address. It gets people to look at stuff they would ordinarily not even give a second of thought. Who is going to search for a web site named, don't elect Lewis, or whomever? Certainly one could argue by naming the site lewisforcongress is not deceptive because that is all it really says and Lewis is running for congress. Just because people assume it is a pro-Lewis site doesn't in itself make it deceptive. Of course that is my opinion.

Uhmmm the web site address in that pic, is contribute.sinkforcongress2014.com, thus my point that the site's name appears to be fraudulent. That would be like going to the web site us.gov and when you get there it looks right on the surface but turns out to be a web page address hijack if you investigate further.

Much as I hate to admit it... Hangover's right. This site is using fraudulent advertising tricks to troll for democrats that are just not paying enough attention. It's web sites like this one that are gonna result in the internet becoming policed by the FCC like traditional media is.

Last edited:
The cons are so desperate this year, they're using fake political websites to try to deceive democrat voters. This one is going to come back to bite them in the ass.

Republicans Using Fake Websites To Trick Donors Is Just The Start

Ray Bellamy, a doctor based in Florida, decided that he wanted to make a donation in a local congressional race. He began by Googling the Democratic candidate’s name, “Alex Sink.” He then clicked on one of the first results that popped up. A page loaded that that had the candidate’s typical designs, color schemes, and even a large photo of her talking to constituents. Not thinking anything of it he entered his financial information and hit submit. What he didn’t notice was the small print at the bottom of the screen.

He was then notified that his donation had actually gone to her opponent – as he explained to Tampa Bay Times, he had been the victim of an elaborate scheme by National Republican Congressional Committee to trick voters into donating money to the wrong party.

Republicans Using Fake Websites To Trick Donors Is Just The Start - Forbes

Deception is o.k if it advances the cause of patriotism.

The cons are so desperate this year, they're using fake political websites to try to deceive democrat voters. This one is going to come back to bite them in the ass.

Republicans Using Fake Websites To Trick Donors Is Just The Start

Ray Bellamy, a doctor based in Florida, decided that he wanted to make a donation in a local congressional race. He began by Googling the Democratic candidate’s name, “Alex Sink.” He then clicked on one of the first results that popped up. A page loaded that that had the candidate’s typical designs, color schemes, and even a large photo of her talking to constituents. Not thinking anything of it he entered his financial information and hit submit. What he didn’t notice was the small print at the bottom of the screen.

He was then notified that his donation had actually gone to her opponent – as he explained to Tampa Bay Times, he had been the victim of an elaborate scheme by National Republican Congressional Committee to trick voters into donating money to the wrong party.

Republicans Using Fake Websites To Trick Donors Is Just The Start - Forbes

Deception is o.k if it advances the cause of patriotism.

Sort of like a POTUS that got elected on a promise to end all the Bush policies, only after getting elected he actually ends none of the Bush policies.

Notice that all the con responses are in defense of the deception. None even try to have any dignity. They're proud of their parties sliminess. That should give everyone an idea of the kind of government they envision.

Proud?

For the record, I despise Republicans as much as I do Democrats.

However, just because you read a biased blog that coincides with your biased beliefs does not make the blog correct in what it states. It took about 1 second to notice that the donation box says "help defeat Alex Sink" and then about a second and a half to notice it was a Republican site. The idiot simply did not read what he was donating to. He is lucky to have received a refund.
All your double talk doesn't change the fact that the cons are using slimy politics. When the liberals do it, then we'll rag on them. BTW, I'm a registered INDEPENDENT since 1996.

I don't see how you can call it slimy. They very clearly state they are Republicans seeking money to defeat her. I actually thought you were not a partisan hack... I am beginning to think otherwise.

Notice that all the con responses are in defense of the deception. None even try to have any dignity. They're proud of their parties sliminess. That should give everyone an idea of the kind of government they envision.

There was no deception ..... just an idiot old man who didn't bother reading what was as clear as the nose on his face. Typical stupid democrat then goes on to blame the site and even dumber dems are fooled by reporting that knows you're too stupid to see the simple facts so you're led around like a bunch of dumbass jackasses.

Read the OP, moron. The story was reported by FORBES, a con rag.

It was from a leftwing blogger. Forbes isn't like MSNBC or lefties favorites such as HuffPost or MediaMatter. Forbes will print differing points of view.

Please, please, please, let him keep hiding ;)

still no link

why am i not surprised a lefty and jakey have teamed up to provide no link

Yurt, quit obfuscating. You fucked up. That's why you will not post the entire thread (it's #80 on the previous page).

(1) I quoted the OP, not the link

(2) My comment in response to the OP was that all parties have done it.

Then you lied.

^^^ Quit yurting and answer.

still no link

why am i not surprised a lefty and jakey have teamed up to provide no link

Yurt, quit obfuscating. You fucked up. That's why you will not post the entire thread (it's #80 on the previous page).

Then you lied.

um....retard, there is no question in your post, only lies and running away from providing a link to back up your claim....so i fail to see what i am supposed to "answer"

There was no deception ..... just an idiot old man who didn't bother reading what was as clear as the nose on his face. Typical stupid democrat then goes on to blame the site and even dumber dems are fooled by reporting that knows you're too stupid to see the simple facts so you're led around like a bunch of dumbass jackasses.

She should have not walked down that alley at that time of night. With that short skirt what was she thinking? She is probably a slut anyway.

Much as I hate to admit it... Hangover's right. This site is using fraudulent advertising tricks to troll for democrats that are just not paying enough attention. It's web sites like this one that are gonna result in the internet becoming policed by the FCC like traditional media is.

I would disagree. The web address was used to get people to click on the site to see the ‘advertisement’ but that in itself is NOT fraudulent. It would be comparable to starting a commercial off with good things to say about Sink to perk up the attention of the viewers and then plunge into attacks.

None of that is fraudulent – it is a method used to grab your attention or get you to view something that you would not normally view. IF the site itself were not crystal clear in its presentation that it is against Sink I think you might have something there. It, however, is crystal clear.

I suppose one could argue that the web site address itself, is fraudulent. I suppose one could also argue that the large banner advertising the opposition, was more prominent than the large bold font explaining what you are paying for. If someone was on a lap top and had bad eye sight and the sun was reflecting on it... yeah he might make a mistake.

Yeah ok just from the web site address and that pic, I'd say it's arguable that this site is attempting to perpetrate a fraud.

Since this is the age of the Internet one would think people would be on the look out for things not being what they appear to be. In this case it is fairly obvious it is what it appears to be. I think it is a smart idea the web site address. It gets people to look at stuff they would ordinarily not even give a second of thought. Who is going to search for a web site named, don't elect Lewis, or whomever? Certainly one could argue by naming the site lewisforcongress is not deceptive because that is all it really says and Lewis is running for congress. Just because people assume it is a pro-Lewis site doesn't in itself make it deceptive. Of course that is my opinion.

Uhmmm the web site address in that pic, is contribute.sinkforcongress2014.com, thus my point that the site's name appears to be fraudulent. That would be like going to the web site us.gov and when you get there it looks right on the surface but turns out to be a web page address hijack if you investigate further.

NOTE: DO NOT GO TO THE BELOW WEBSITE!

You do know what www.whitehouse.com is right? If not, it is NOT a website connected with the whitehouse…

Web addresses are not fraudulent in nature. They are unrelated with the content overall.

us.gov is not whitehouse.com...

As to your accusation that web site addresses are not fraudulent in nature.

Some are. For example, some troll for passwords so they can steal your $. They do it by using similar web pages switching up one letter for example.

In this case we are talking about a web page that is clearly trolling for donations from supporters of the opposing candidate. The content is related and only appears to be "unrelated" if you see the "not" hidden in the smaller print. IMO they will go down.. and worse people like this will bring down the FCC onto the web.

Last edited:

Some are. For example, some troll for passwords so they can steal your $. They do it by using similar web pages switching up one letter for example.

In this case we are talking about a web page that is clearly trolling for donations from supporters of the opposing candidate. The content is related and only appears to be "unrelated" if you see the "not" hidden in the smaller print. IMO they will go down.. and worse people like this will bring down the FCC onto the web.

Ah, but what do every one of those fraudulent phishing attempts do?
They put up web sites that mimic the one you would have put your password in. They don’t clearly state at the top that they are competitors or some other entity. They try and actually make you think they are something that they are not.

This web site OTOH, does NOT do that. It uses a lure to get you to click on it. This lure is no different than a flashing banner except that it is targeting people in support of the named candidate as they are the ones that need to be convinced to switch sides. Then they are presented with a site that has a CLEAR objective to eliminating the candidate.

I would agree with you if the bold statement was correct but it is not. There is no ‘smaller print.’ The ENTIRE site from close to opening is against the candidate. It clearly states its intentions in the title, not some obscure disclaimer at the bottom.

US.gov might not be whitehouse.com but under those same standards that you are using the site is clearly fraudulent. It is simply one example of why such a premise is misguided.

Then you lied.

um....retard, there is no question in your post, only lies and running away from providing a link to back up your claim....so i fail to see what i am supposed to "answer"

You lied yet again, got caught, and continue lying. Folks, go to post #80 on the previous page and see what Yurt has done yet again.

Last edited:

Ah, but what do every one of those fraudulent phishing attempts do?
They put up web sites that mimic the one you would have put your password in. They don’t clearly state at the top that they are competitors or some other entity. They try and actually make you think they are something that they are not.

This web site OTOH, does NOT do that. It uses a lure to get you to click on it. This lure is no different than a flashing banner except that it is targeting people in support of the named candidate as they are the ones that need to be convinced to switch sides. Then they are presented with a site that has a CLEAR objective to eliminating the candidate.

I would agree with you if the bold statement was correct but it is not. There is no ‘smaller print.’ The ENTIRE site from close to opening is against the candidate. It clearly states its intentions in the title, not some obscure disclaimer at the bottom.

US.gov might not be whitehouse.com but under those same standards that you are using the site is clearly fraudulent. It is simply one example of why such a premise is misguided.

Where is the clear objective to eliminating the candidate? Are you blind?

The web page is contribute.sinkforcongress2014.com. The web page is predominantly a nice photo of Sink and a banner that says Alex Sink/Congress. Then it says make a contribution. Yeah then the not part... then the click here and scroll down to put in your details and loose track of the not part.

So I have no idea WTH you are talking about.

Forum List

Back