Gosnell... Abortion Atrocities

It is news. It's huge and pertinent.

"
But I understand why my readers suspect me, and other pro-choice mainstream journalists, of being selective—of not wanting to cover the story because it showcased the ugliest possibilities of abortion rights. The truth is that most of us tend to be less interested in sick-making stories—if the sick-making was done by "our side."
Of course, I'm not saying that I identify with criminal abortionists who kill infants and grievously wound their patients. But I am pro-choice.
What Gosnell did was not some inevitable result of legal abortion. But while legal abortion was not sufficient to create the horrors in Philadelphia, it was necessary. Gosnell was able to harm so many women and babies because he operated in the open."

Why I Didn't Write About Gosnell's Trial--And Why I Should Have - The Daily Beast

They didn't report on it because it makes them look bad for supporting abortion, and because they don't want abortion cast in a dismal light.

They're reporting on it now that they've been caught. It has nothing to do with their fine sensibilities. It has everything to do with their politics.

"
If I think about it for a moment, there are obviously lots of policy implications of Gosnell's baby charnel house. How the hell did this clinic operate for seventeen years without health inspectors discovering his brutal crimes? Are there major holes in our medical regulatory system? More to the point, are those holes created, in part, by the pressure to go easy on abortion clinics, or more charitably, the fear of getting tangled in a hot-button political issue? These have clear implications for abortion access, and abortion politics."

Why I Didn't Write About Gosnell's Trial--And Why I Should Have - The Daily Beast

I love how she pretends this is all just now occurring to her, lol.

"
But, why wasn’t more written sooner? One colleague viewed Gosnell’s alleged atrocities as a local crime story, though I can’t think of another mass murder, with hundreds of victims, that we ever saw that way. Another said it was just too lurid, though that didn’t keep us from covering Jeffrey Dahmer, or that aspiring cannibal at the NYPD.
Yet another said it’s because the rest of the country doesn’t care about Philadelphia — that one was especially creative, I thought. And a friend argued that any “blackout” boiled down to the usual lack of media interest in the low-income community Gosnell “served.” (While he routinely turned poor, black patients over to assistants who lacked even a high school education, according to court testimony, the white patients he seated separately, and treated himself.)
I say we didn’t write more because the only abortion story most outlets ever cover in the news pages is every single threat or perceived threat to abortion rights. In fact, that is so fixed a view of what constitutes coverage of that issue that it’s genuinely hard, I think, for many journalists to see a story outside that paradigm as news. That’s not so much a conscious decision as a reflex, but the effect is one-sided coverage."

Why Kermit Gosnell hasn?t been on Page One

She didn't write about it because she explained why.
The truth is that most of us tend to be less interested in sick-making stories—if the sick-making was done by "our side.

So I guess you are going to ignore COMPLETELY the "sick making" and choose to highlight the "our side" comment? Really? And she is claiming that this fucker is on anyones side the sides should be

Side1: Sick Asshole Side2: Everyone else

No matter what this dumbass says about HER reasons for not writing about it, it doesn't change the fact that this story is a "sick making" story no matter what spin you put on it. And sick making stories don't create ratings...that's what the news is in business for

From the grand jury report:

"
[He] regularly and illegally delivered live, viable, babies in the third trimester of pregnancy – and then murdered these newborns by severing their spinal cords with scissors. The medical practice by which he carried out this business was a filthy fraud in which he overdosed his patients with dangerous drugs, spread venereal disease among them with infected instruments, perforated their wombs and bowels – and, on at least two occasions, caused their deaths. Over the years, many people came to know that something was going on here. But no one put a stop to it."

Why Kermit Gosnell hasn?t been on Page One

This is news. They didn't report it because it hurts the abortion lobby's stance that abortion is about women's *rights* and *health*.

The truth is that most of us tend to be less interested in sick-making stories—if the sick-making was done by "our side.

So I guess you are going to ignore COMPLETELY the "sick making" and choose to highlight the "our side" comment? Really? And she is claiming that this fucker is on anyones side the sides should be

No matter what this dumbass says about HER reasons for not writing about it, it doesn't change the fact that this story is a "sick making" story no matter what spin you put on it. And sick making stories don't create ratings...that's what the news is in business for

Lol..she's lying. "Oh mercy me, I could never write about THAT!"

And you're an idiot.

And you're an idiot.

Of course she's lying....and you believe her :cuckoo:

I have to wonder why you get so sputtering mad over the fact that it's being reported now.

I suppose you wish it would be kept hush-hush. I can understand that, and your feelings were shared by the liberal media.

So it was kept hush-hush.

And you're an idiot.

Of course she's lying....and you believe her :cuckoo:

Whoops, silly me, I thought you were referencing the precious Megan McArdle of Daily Beast, who claimed she's completely shocked and undone by the thought of dead babies...though she is adamantly pro-choice....

And I have no idea what you're trying to say here: "

Side1: Sick Asshole Side2: Everyone else"

Sorry, it just doesn't make much sense. You sound a little hysterical. Take a drink of water or something.

Last edited:
Let me try it slow for you

This abortion guy is not on any side except the one labeled "sick asshole". Do you understand that?

No, I have no idea who the "abortion guy" is, or what point you're making.

It doesn't matter, you're a confirmed idiot. But continue to flounder at will.

No, I have no idea who the "abortion guy" is, or what point you're making.

It doesn't matter, you're a confirmed idiot. But continue to flounder at will.

Gosnell (the abortion doctor this thread is about) is not on anyones side (like the lady in your post suggested) he (Gosnell) is only on the side labeled sick asshole (because he (Gosnell) is a sick asshole).

I hope that helped...Next time I can explain it with action figures if that'll help you

"too sick a story"?

:lol:

Epic freaking pathetic failure of an excuse.Another ridiculous excuse was the "it's just a local crime story".

I think it was one writer at the Washington Post who claimed it was just a "local crime story".

But the WP covered Trayvon's "local crime story" and Newtown's "local crime story".

And you can damn well bet the family farm that if Gosnell had shot these babies it would have been an instant national front page headline news story.

It was a blatant media blackout and kudos to Kirsten Powers and USA today for taking the rest of the media to task.

BTW Kirsten is a liberal. She and Mollie from GetReligion did a fabulous job of showing the hypocrisy of the media.

Huff admits they chose not to report it because it would reflect poorly on abortion rights:

“For what it’s worth, I do think that those of us on the left have made a decision not to cover this trial because we worry that it’ll compromise abortion rights. Whether you agree with abortion or not, I do think there’s a direct connection between the media’s failure to cover this and our own political commitments on the left. I think it’s a bad idea, I think it’s dangerous, but I think that’s the way it is.”"

HuffPost Live

Gosnell case: HuffPost host says left ?made a decision? to not cover trial

Forum List

Back