Governor McDonnel and wife found guilty on multiple counts

Believe it or not, I'm gonna defend them just a little tiny bit. Yes, he's a crook but in all fairness, our system demands that the newly elected be able to dress like royalty. Where is the money supposed to come from?

Granted that some scam the system - like LyinRyan but if they don't have a sugar daddy, they have to foot the bill for multi-gazillion dollar clothes and parties.

Having said that, the slime bucket threw his wife under the bus while he was lying, cheating and stealing. Good verdict.

My concern now is about Anatabloc.

What amazes me in stories like this is the fine line between legal lobbying, and illegally accepting gifts for political favors. Either both should be legal, or both should be illegal.

I have mixed feelings about some of this. I assume a lot of it comes watching the circus the defense put on. There is no doubt that his wife is and was a loon. They tried to show they were so estranged that they couldn't have cooked up this scheme. It didn't work. Barring a reversal on appeal, they both could do some serious jail time and he loses his retirement as Governor. The GOP will suffer in Virginia for years to come from this.

and next week some Democrat will be convicted of something

so what are suppose to do now?

What amazes me in stories like this is the fine line between legal lobbying, and illegally accepting gifts for political favors. Either both should be legal, or both should be illegal.

Bingo. The revolving door of politicians and bureaucrats into companies they regulate and favor with corporate welfare is far more egregious than accepting some trinkets and loans.

On the subject of loans, how is this situation any different than Obama buying his house through the favors of Tony Rezko?

Real estate dealings
In 2005 Obama purchased a new home in the Kenwood District of Chicago for $1.65 million (which was $300,000 below the asking price but represented the highest offer on the property) on the same day that Rezko's wife, Rita Rezko, purchased the adjoining empty lot from the same sellers for the full asking price.[34] Obama acknowledged bringing his interest in the property to Rezko's attention,[35] but denied any coordination of offers. According to Obama, while the properties had originally been a single property, the previous owners decided to sell the land as two separate lots, but made it a condition of the sales that they be closed on the same date. Obama also stated that the properties had been on the market for months, that his offer was the better of two bids, and that Ms. Rezko's bid was matched by another offer, also of $625,000, so that she could not have purchased the property for less.[36]

After it had been reported in 2006 that Rezko was under federal investigation for influence-peddling, Obama purchased a 10-foot-wide strip of Ms. Rezko's property for $104,500, $60,000 above the assessed value.[7][34] According to Chicago Sun-Times columnist, Mark Brown, "Rezko definitely did Obama a favor by selling him the 10-foot strip of land, making his own parcel less attractive for development."[37] Obama acknowledges that the exchange may have created the appearance of impropriety and stated "I consider this a mistake on my part and I regret it."[36]

On December 28, 2006, Mrs. Rezko sold the property to a company owned by her husband's former business attorney. That sale of $575,000, combined with the earlier $104,500 sale to the Obamas, amounted to a net profit of $54,500 over her original purchase, less $14,000 for a fence along the property line and other expenses.[38][39] In October 2007, the new owners put the still vacant land up for sale again, this time for $1.5 million.[40]

Obama's letters
In June 2007, the Sun-Times published a story about letters Obama had written in 1997 to city and state officials in support of a low-income senior citizen development project headed by Rezko and Davis. The project received more than $14 million in taxpayer funds, including $885,000 in development fees for Rezko and Davis. Of Obama's letters in support of the Cottage View Terrace apartments development, Obama spokesman Bill Burton said, "This wasn't done as a favor for anyone; it was done in the interests of the people in the community who have benefited from the project. I don't know that anyone specifically asked him to write this letter nine years ago. There was a consensus in the community about the positive impact the project would make and Obama supported it because it was going to help people in his district." Rezko's attorney responded that "Mr. Rezko never spoke with, nor sought a letter from, Senator Obama in connection with that project.[41]

In the South Carolina Democratic Party presidential debate on January 21, 2008, Senator Hillary Clinton said that Obama had been associated with Rezko, whom she referred to as a slum landlord.[42] The L.A. Times indicated that its own review showed Rezko played a deeper role in Obama's political and financial biography than Obama has acknowledged.[43] Within days of the debate, a photo of Rezko posing with Bill and Hillary Clinton surfaced. When asked about the photo, Hillary Clinton commented "I probably have taken hundreds of thousands of pictures. I wouldn't know him if he walked in the door."[44]

Tony Rezko - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
You can't get across to some people how CORRUPTED this government of ours has become.

they just dump on the Tea Party or accuse others of all the problems for it all

How many former governors of Illinois are or were in prison? VA has a long way to go.

Democrats are cheering today because it's a Republican when the next Democrat gets convicted of something it will be the Republicans cheering.
S.S.D.D.

I don't know why you liberals think this is just a republican issue..it's not..Careful.. I'm willing to wager just about every politician is guilty of the same.

Forum List

Back