Greatest NFL Team Of All-Time

Stoner

Herbologist
Aug 16, 2008
Euphoria
Whose your candidate for greatest NFL team of all-time?

Most people will say the 72 Dolphins for obvious reasons. Me? I have to go with the 85 Bears. I'm not a Chicago fan but I have mad respect for that squad. That team had the absolte best and monstorous defense. The ole 46. Buddy Ryan, whom I'm not a fan of, made this formation extremely popular. It was an enigma for offenses to figure out. It stayed that until Walsh and the West Coast offense exposed it. It's vulnerable to short passing plays. It's why you rarely see it anymore. That and few teams have the impact players to run it.

The 85 Bears' defense had some absolute monsters. Singletary, Dent, Hampton, Marshall, Perry, Wilson, Duerson, etc...

On offense they had the greatest RB and football player this planet has ever seen, Walter Payton.

Whose your best team ever and why?

Bears85Trib_415ht.jpg

Last edited:
The 85 Bears were the best defense I ever saw but I think the most dominant all-round team I've seen was the 49ers a few years later than beat Denver 55-10 in the Super Bowl. I was too young to remember the great teams of the 70s.

Whose your candidate for greatest NFL team of all-time?

Most people will say the 72 Dolphins for obvious reasons. Me? I have to go with the 85 Bears. I'm not a Chicago fan but I have mad respect for that squad. That team had the absolte best and monstorous defense. The ole 46. Buddy Ryan, whom I'm not a fan of, made this formation extremely popular. It was an enigma for offenses to figure out. It stayed that until Walsh and the West Coast offense exposed it. It's vulnerable to short passing plays. It's why you rarely see it anymore. That and few teams have the impact players to run it.

The 85 Bears' defense had some absolute monsters. Singletary, Dent, Hampton, Marshall, Perry, Wilson, Duerson, etc...

On offense they had the greatest RB and football player this planet has ever seen, Walter Payton.

Whose your best team ever and why?

Bears85Trib_415ht.jpg

The 85 Dolphins beat the 85 Bears.:eusa_whistle:

The 2000 Ravens defense was every bit as dominant as the 85 Bears... but neither were a complete team... and I can't put either into the argument

72 Dolphins?? Bah.... more luck than complete substance

I think it has to come down to a choice between 4 teams... The 62 Packers who utterly defined dominant.... The 89 49ers were a complete team on offense and defense, and who can't love Montana as the quintessential leader?... The 76 Raiders who were possibly the meanest, nastiest bunch of players to ever be on the same field for the same team (on both sides of the ball)... And the 58/59 Baltimore Colts who were just loaded from top to bottom with Unitas at the pinnacle of his career

IN 1969 I'd have to say the best NFL football team was the AFL Jets.

That's the last time I paid any attention to the game to be honest.

The 2007 Patriots.

Hands down.

Yes, they lost the Super Bowl...with a hurt quarterback. But they were a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball.

In fact, it'd be more accurate just to say the 2001-2007 Patriots. They've been a dominating force for the better part of this decade.

My nominee would be the 1967 Packers.

If I were to choose one from my lifetime, It would be any one of Bill Walsh's superbowl teams. The 49'ers were dominant in the late 80's and early 90's.

The 2007 Patriots.

Hands down.

Yes, they lost the Super Bowl...with a hurt quarterback. But they were a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball.

In fact, it'd be more accurate just to say the 2001-2007 Patriots. They've been a dominating force for the better part of this decade.

Key words bolded

They were not even the best in their season... let alone belonging on any list for greatest of all time

Many of the modern teams would be quivering facing the toughness of teams past without the little mamby-pamby rules they have in place now.. Moss would be crying like a bitch when clotheslined by Night Train Lane... Brady or Peyton would be a nervous wreck after being crushed and gouged while down by Butkus or Nitschke... the older greats may not have had the physical advantages some training provides now, but they were a much tougher breed even just 20 years ago

Key words bolded

They were not even the best in their season... let alone belonging on any list for greatest of all time

They beat the Giants once in their season. Tom Brady suffered an ankle injury but played the Super Bowl in spite of that. Had he been at 100%, it may have gone down differently.

The 2009 New England Patriots.

Remember where you heard it first.

Agreed, Tom Brady out for revenge on the NFL two-fold.

I would hate to be KC next time you play Tom Brady. He might be going for a 100 on the scoreboard. :lol:

They beat the Giants once in their season. Tom Brady suffered an ankle injury but played the Super Bowl in spite of that. Had he been at 100%, it may have gone down differently.

Had pixie dust sprinkled from tinker bell's ass fallen from the sky to bless the Pats it may have been different too...

The key is it was not... they were not the best team and lost the game outright... they were the second best team in the league that year

:eusa_boohoo:

Yeah, they missed the video tape. The 72 Phins WERE a complete team.

*NE Patriots - winners of 3 Super Bowls

* Whose winning streaks coincided with their illegal taping.

The Giants beating the Pats last year, that miracle catch,,,it was Karma biting them in the butt, and it was SWEET!

Forum List

Back