CDZ gun magazine bullet limits...they only effect law abiding gun owners so why do we need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize what the law says. Better than you, I'm sure. But in terms of practicality, there's little difference in terms of the rigor of what they require. You have to pass a background check, take a class, and get certified to have a CWP in most states.
To carry a concealed weapon - not to own a firearm and keep it in your home. Apples/oranges.
And... most states do not require any sort of permit to canny a gun openly.

As for having strict gun laws, DC is a gun control city but it is next to Virginia with it's lax gun regs. To make matters worse, Congress has invalidated some DC laws, overruling the democratically elected board.
If you live in DC and buy a gun in VA. federal law requires the transfer to be handled by an FFL, with a background check.
If you do not transfer the gun through an FFL, you commit a federal felony.
That said, how do the "lax" gun laws ion VA matter?

As for having strict gun laws, DC is a gun control city but it is next to Virginia with it's lax gun regs. To make matters worse, Congress has invalidated some DC laws, overruling the democratically elected board.
If you live in DC and buy a gun in VA. federal law requires the transfer to be handled by an FFL, with a background check.
I don't own a gun and I'm having trouble seeing VA gun regs. Do I need id to legally buy a gun in VA? If I don't then there is a problem, if I do then the VA laws are not as lax as I thought.

What would the murder rate have been if there had been no guns in private hands?
US murder rate: 4.5/100k
US murder rate, minus gun-related murders: 1.5/100k.
That said, your question is meaningless.
So decreasing murders by 2/3 is meaningless? I guess human life is meaningless to you but, thankfully, not everyone feels as you do.
You make the assumption that if any of those murderers didn't have a gun that they would not have still committed murder

You make the assumption that if any of those murderers didn't have a gun that they would not have still committed murder
I assume because, unless you have some statistics, no one can guess the answer. But even if we only cut the murder rate in half I still think that would be a good thing.

What would the murder rate have been if there had been no guns in private hands?
US murder rate: 4.5/100k
US murder rate, minus gun-related murders: 1.5/100k.
That said, your question is meaningless.
So decreasing murders by 2/3 is meaningless?
No. Your hypothetical question...
...is meaningless - there are guns in private hands. Lots of them.

In fact, for every gun "in private hands" used to commit murder yesterday, ~16,000,000 were not.
And so, there's no sound argument for removing those guns.

I don't own a gun and I'm having trouble seeing VA gun regs. Do I need id to legally buy a gun in VA? If I don't then there is a problem, if I do then the VA laws are not as lax as I thought.
Do you live in DC?

I assume because, unless you have some statistics, no one can guess the answer. But even if we only cut the murder rate in half I still think that would be a good thing.

There is absolutely no evidence that getting rid of all guns would lower the murder rate

We do know that in the UK that the very strict gun laws did not reduce murder rates to below what they were before those laws were enacted

In fact, for every gun "in private hands" used to commit murder yesterday, ~16,000,000 were not.
I've never argued for removing guns, I'd just like to coexist with them.

Is there a way of cutting the number of gun deaths in the US without confiscating guns? I'm not afraid to ask the question, are you?

There is absolutely no evidence that getting rid of all guns would lower the murder rate

We do know that in the UK that the very strict gun laws did not reduce murder rates to below what they were before those laws were enacted
The US homicide rate is 3.9 vs. the UK homicide rate of 0.9. If we had the same homicide rate I might agree with you that no gun control was required.

Is there a way of cutting the number of gun deaths in the US without confiscating guns? I'm not afraid to ask the question, are you?

Yes there is and it has been said over and over

Throw every criminal guilty of illegally selling, buying, carrying and committing crimes with firearms in prison for a very long time

The US homicide rate is 3.9 vs. the UK homicide rate of 0.9. If we had the same homicide rate I might agree with you that no gun control was required.

We have had a higher murder rate than the UK as far back as I can find. Our murder rate today is virtually the same as it was in 1950 despite having more guns in private hands.

The murder rate in the UK is virtually the same as it was in 1950 before their strict gun laws were enacted in 1968

So if it is guns that make the murder rate higher then why is our murder rate the same as it was in 1950 and not much higher?

Why is the murder rate in the UK not much lower than it was in 1950?

The answer is that it is not merely guns that dictate murder rates and that there are much more complex cultural, demographic and sociological factors involved

Is there a way of cutting the number of gun deaths in the US without confiscating guns? I'm not afraid to ask the question, areyou?
The huge majority of gun-related deaths - better than 2/3 - are from suicide.
How do you suppose we cut those deaths?

The British banned and confiscated their guns in 1996....and what happened....their gun crime rate stayed the same...in fact, it went up 4% last year....

Britain has always had fewer gun murders than the United States...in fact, our non gun murder rate is bigger than their entire murder rate....guns have nothing to do with their low murder rate...their culture, and their criminal culture do.......

If you are not in a democrat voting district in a democrat controlled inner city....our gun crime rate is at or below that of Europe....our criminals in the inner city drive our gun murder rate, not normal, law abiding guns owners......

Why is that so hard for you guys to understand?

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in 1990s........and now we have 357,000,000 guns in private hands in 2016......and can you tell us what happened to the gun murder rate?

It went down by almost 50%..............guns to not create murder.....british criminals are vicious thugs....they put hot clothes irons on the backs of senior citizens and pour boiling water on their heads.....they just don't go the extra step of committing murder.........

They have access to guns.....they just don't use them for murder as often.....

That...is changing...they have brought over immigrants from countries that do not have the same values as British criminals do....and they are starting to use guns more often and are shooting more often...even at police......

Values....not guns....are the issue.

Do you understand that we did cut the murder by almost half.....? from the 1990s to 2016...the gun murder rate dropped over 40%......as more Americans bought, owned and actually carried guns......

With that as a fact.....how does that affect your opinion in your post?

Here you go.....

200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s.

357,000,000 guns in private hands in 2016.......

The gun murder rate.....

You have what you said you wanted...the gun murder rate is down 49%..........do you understand this?

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
=======

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back