Gun maker Colt files for bankruptcy amid tough US market

Gun maker Colt files for bankruptcy amid tough US market - BBC News
Rest in peace Colt, you had nice guns. Sadly you won't be able to supply Americans with guns anymore. Well it's not like it is something sad, there are plenty of gun makers to produce handguns and assault rifles. But Colt is the legend, Python is probably the most well known revolver in the world. Apart from that, it's not a big loss. I wonder who is going to buy their company.

Bankruptcy is by no means a death sentence for colt. Depending on how filed they can easily emerge from the proceeding ready to do business. And remain in business during the proceedings

Time to relocate to friendlier climes....Texas, Arizona, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, North or South Carolina...

Colt has been an innovator in the gun world since its inception. However, their quality has not been top notch, while they charged more than most other manufacturers. There was a premium on their guns simply for the pony on the grip.

Colt hasn't had a damned thing going for them for decades now. Big loser.
You mean like supplying the military and police with M4s and selling all the 1911s they can make? That's losing?

I have a Springfield M1911. I would put the quality of a Springfield up against a Colt every time. And many gun buffs know this.
I have had Randalls, Para-Ordinance, Springfield, Colt and a variety of other.

Unless you just shop for pure junk, a 1911 is a 1911.

I now have the Para-Ordinance in stainless, for a good bit less than the Colt.

You mean like supplying the military and police with M4s and selling all the 1911s they can make? That's losing?

I have a Springfield M1911. I would put the quality of a Springfield up against a Colt every time. And many gun buffs know this.

For the most part, you are right. But the prices on the Colt were substantially higher. And for no reason other than the pony on the grip.

For the most part, you are right. But the prices on the Colt were substantially higher. And for no reason other than the pony on the grip.
Nope. I have 4 Colts, all of them very high quality with fit an finish. No milling marks at all and sharp edges, maybe too sharp. My first 1911 was a Kimber and it did have noticeable milling marks in a few areas.

My favorite shooter though is my Springfield Armory TRP, much heavier but full size compared to commander and Defender but it cost way more.

I decided to forego the Pony and get 1,000 rounds to go with the Para!

Nope. I have 4 Colts, all of them very high quality with fit an finish. No milling marks at all and sharp edges, maybe too sharp. My first 1911 was a Kimber and it did have noticeable milling marks in a few areas.

My favorite shooter though is my Springfield Armory TRP, much heavier but full size compared to commander and Defender but it cost way more.
My biggest regret was getting rid of the Randalls.

Sometimes you gotta pay the bills.

Where did you get the idea they were going out of business? They should do what GE is doing and get out of Connecticut.

My biggest regret was getting rid of the Randalls.

Sometimes you gotta pay the bills.
Those early models were going for dirt cheap. I wish I had known what the market would do. Like a lot of other people who dumped them or just gave them away.

I've had a Colt 1911, a Para, and more recently a Ruger. Function, fit, and quality, not enough difference to matter.

Why is Colt in trouble?
Capitalism, like nature, weeds out the slow, stupid, sick, weak and lazy.

I don't like outsourcing small arms for US Armed Forces period. Seems to me that if the Pentagon has a problem with a US manufacturer then a lobbyist didn't grease the right wheel (General). This is the wake-up call Colt needed....get rid of the debt like every other company is entitled to do, and make sure the reorganization has a new board of directors....American directors.

I don't like outsourcing small arms for US Armed Forces period. Seems to me that if the Pentagon has a problem with a US manufacturer then a lobbyist didn't grease the right wheel (General). This is the wake-up call Colt needed....get rid of the debt like every other company is entitled to do, and make sure the reorganization has a new board of directors....American directors.

Sources for arms for our military should not be outsourced outside of the US. If Colt can handle the orders, then find another company who can.

Forum List

Back